S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 14th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #1
Dekindy

Default Outdoor Skating Question

I went outdoor skating once last year using Radar Energy 65 durometer outdoor wheels. I was able to skate on the fairly smooth concrete surface gingerly and carefully as I was still a beginner.

Fast forward to this Spring and I have been taking skating lessons and working on one-legged inside and outside edging, forward crossovers, and starting to learn to skate backwards. Thought I would try skating around my cul-da-sac. The surface is rough pavement. I could just barely stand up and could not roll at all. I got out into the cul-da-sac only a short distance and thought I was going to have to crawl back to the grass in my yard so I could walk back into the house.

Am I trying to skate on a surface that is impossible to skate on with quad roller skates? Do I have to just get stronger and develop better balance to skate on rough surfaces?

My Wife and I skated on rollerblades in our neighborhood a 30 years ago. I cannot remember if the pavement was smoother back then but to the best of my recollection it was about the same roughness as now. Any advice?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Ever go to the beach and run in the sand? Then decide to get your feet wet a bit, so you run at the edge of the waves that wet the sand, then go a bit deeper and your body outruns your feet, because the water is dragging your feet back?

Same goes with skating on rougher surfaces. The rougher it gets, the more resistance that your feet will see.

I can skate on some ridiculously bad terrain with any of my skates, grass, packed gravel, trails. Etc.

The more resistances in the skating surface, the less gliding you will do, and the more laterql hopping from foot to foot.

Franklin skating rink is near you, the DJ there is a very good skater. May want to go to a session there. Good floor too.
Old April 14th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #3
BigFoot

Skating on rough pavement is a lot of work. Itís even more difficult if you go slow. You have less momentum at slow speed, so itís easy for every bump and crevice to stop your wheels. Keep moving if you are determined to skate on your street. It will definitely be a cardio workout.

My street use to be skate-friendly, but after 20 years it is now uncomfortable. Your street was prolly in better shape 30 years ago. Also, Rollerblades often have larger diameter wheels. Bigger wheels are better for rolling over rough pavement. 70mm - 80mm tall quad wheels would help on your street.

Hereís some alternatives: parking lots, parking structures, basket ball courts, tennis courts, roller hockey rinks, skate parks (duh), bike paths, flood control channels, sidewalks, school yards, and simply recently re-surfaced streets.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #4
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Skating on rough pavement is a lot of work. Itís even more difficult if you go slow. You have less momentum at slow speed, so itís easy for every bump and crevice to stop your wheels. Keep moving if you are determined to skate on your street. It will definitely be a cardio workout.

My street use to be skate-friendly, but after 20 years it is now uncomfortable. Your street was prolly in better shape 30 years ago. Also, Rollerblades often have larger diameter wheels. Bigger wheels are better for rolling over rough pavement. 70mm - 80mm tall quad wheels would help on your street.

Hereís some alternatives: parking lots, parking structures, basket ball courts, tennis courts, roller hockey rinks, skate parks (duh), bike paths, flood control channels, sidewalks, school yards, and simply recently re-surfaced streets.
^^^ What he said, we go skating outside on pavement and I use 70mm Krypto Route 70's and they work really well.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote