S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 6th, 2017, 10:00 PM   #1
quadlover
80's Speed

Default Emerald anabolix 101a

Just skated a session on the new emeralds. They are fast as hell.
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadlover View Post
I wonder if they would grip a well coated floor?
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:10 AM   #3
quantoo

Default i got a friend that loves the softer anabolix

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadlover View Post
i cant keep up with him
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 01:23 PM   #4
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

I would like to see pics of these new wheels.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Here, let me Google that for ya...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanJet8 View Post
I would like to see pics of these new wheels.
http://anabolixskate.com/t/wheels
Old April 11th, 2017, 11:49 PM   #6
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Looks like the UW's Come Back Tour!
Old April 24th, 2017, 12:06 AM   #7
quadlover
80's Speed

I used them on a wood floor that is half way maintained And the grip was good.

Last edited by quadlover; April 24th, 2017 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Added pic
quadlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 01:21 AM   #8
Dekindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantoo View Post
i cant keep up with him
Model and duro? Your friend's approximate weight?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2017, 12:19 PM   #9
The Rebel
Taking it back old school

Old August 30th, 2017, 12:38 PM   #10
quantoo

Default Close guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
Around 96a duro and he weighs about 160 lbs 70 kg approx.
Old September 1st, 2017, 12:21 AM   #11
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
And that is the most likely the least important thing you need to know. Sk8 action and suspension set up plays far more into this than weight and duro. I can make 1/4 turn change on a lot of different sk8 and go from grip out the kazoo to no grip wort speaking about. Knowing how to sk8 your set up is important too. Most likely what someone else is on has little to no resemblance to what you are rolling.

I have wheels on my Royals I won't even use on my Pro Lines after the first try just because of how the action and the wheel interact.
Old September 1st, 2017, 01:20 PM   #12
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
And that is the most likely the least important thing you need to know. Sk8 action and suspension set up plays far more into this than weight and duro. I can make 1/4 turn change on a lot of different sk8 and go from grip out the kazoo to no grip wort speaking about. Knowing how to sk8 your set up is important too. Most likely what someone else is on has little to no resemblance to what you are rolling.

I have wheels on my Royals I won't even use on my Pro Lines after the first try just because of how the action and the wheel interact.
+1. Suspension setup and being able to skate a suspension optimized for traction is way more important for maintaining best traction.

There are floors out there though that no matter how good it is set up, will still let go. Those floors would require much lower duros than normal, then the fun of skating suffers because the skates now feel like you are bogging down, skating through mud.

Skater weight is less of a factor of traction. I used to think weight was a large factor, suspension mods prove it not to be true.

A wheel will stick to whatever floor it can grab ahold of, suspensions setup allows it to work. Duro and chemical compostion of wheels/tires "grades" the floor. Its a compromise on loose floors.

IMO, , floor traction vs wheel duro/compostion + skate setup + skater talent level + ability to tune correctly.
Old September 1st, 2017, 03:33 PM   #13
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
IMO, , floor traction vs wheel duro/compostion + skate setup + skater talent level + ability to tune correctly.

Please do not get compounds and duro conflated. Many sk8rs think if wheel "A" is a 96 then wheel "B" which is also supposed to be a 96 will perform the same way. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Compound and tire profile are huge players here. Let's talk about profile for a minute. When one has access to various profile wheels in identical compounds, much can be learned. I will use Corey Skates excellent product as examples. I have rolled Enforcers, Super Enforcers, Phantoms and even some of Geoff Brown's HebeGB wheels all in VFH. The Enforcers and Super Enforcers are heavier (bearings not considered here) and do not roll as well. Fatter tires flex more and slows the roll. I have detected no appreciable difference in grip however.

Compound is a whole different ball of worms because in most cases it is difficult to find a wheel profile that is similar across manufacturers. Bones Turbos are a decent match against Scott's Phantoms however. The Bones seem to have marginally less roll and grip when compared to comparable durometers of Scott's wheels. The Bones sure as heck don't wear any where close to as well however.

Basically it comes down to this. Nobody can tell another sk8r what will work for them in the context of wheels and guarantee they will be right. They could get you close, or be off in left field. Note I said close. You could be happy with close, very happy. But ignorance is bliss. Until you have learned to deal w/ all the variables discussed so far, you will never know if you are in that very elusive sweet spot. When 1/4 turn of an action nut can make a pair of sk8s feel totally different... well that should give you an idea of where to start.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. If you are on line, searching for truth on the internet, be prepared to be amazed, confused, angered and even infected with a disease... but keep that fun goal in view always.

Last edited by Doc Sk8; October 12th, 2017 at 01:22 PM.
Doc Sk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2017, 07:38 PM   #14
fierocious1

Quote:

Please do not get compounds and duro conflated. Many sk8rs think if wheel "A" is a 96 then wheel "B" which is also supposed to be a 96 will perform the same way. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Compound and tire profile are huge players here. Let's talk about profile for a minute. When one has access to various profile wheels in identical compounds, much can be learned. I will Corey Skates excellent product as examples. I have rolled Enforcers, Super Enforcers, Phantoms and even some of Geoff Brown's HebeGB wheels all in VFH. The Enforcers and Super Enforcers are heavier (bearings not considered here) and do not roll as well. Fatter tires flex more and slows the roll. I have detected no appreciable difference in grip however.

Compound is a whole different ball of worms because in most cases it is difficult to find a wheel profile that is similar across manufacturers. Bones Turbos are a decent match against Scott's Phantoms however. The Bones seem to have marginally less roll and grip when compared to comparable durometers of Scott's wheels. The Bones sure as heck don't wear any where close to as well however.

Basically it comes down to this. Nobody can tell another sk8r what will work for them in the context of wheels and guarantee they will be right. They could get you close, or be off in left field. Note I said close. You could be happy with close, very happy. But ignorance is bliss. Until you have learned to deal w/ all the variables discussed so far, you will never know if you are in that very elusive sweet spot. When 1/4 turn of an action nut can make a pair of sk8s feel totally different... well that should give you an idea of where to start.

Remember, this is supposed to be fun. If you are on line, searching for truth on the internet, be prepared to be amazed, confused, angered and even infected with a disease... but keep that fun goal in view always.
Compounds are the biggest variable IMO. Duro can take the harshness out of the ride, Hard to really make direct comparisons because of all the variables. My skates are blessed with a pretty fat sweet spot. Most skaters skates have very narrow sweet spots, thats where a person talent level and plate tuning comez into the mix.
It took me a while to accept that soft wheels are just that, just because they are soft does not actually mean you will get more traction.
Not had enough wheels to play with profiles, but I do like wide contact patches. That also has pros and cons.
Hyper shamans are proving to have longer life than expected. A bargain for the price. I've grown to appreciate the whites.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 01:35 AM   #15
quantoo

Default I remmembered this just now

[QUOTE=fierocious1;727400]
It took me a while to accept that soft wheels are just that, just because they are soft does not actually mean you will get more traction.

I did try a set of nike of outdoor wheels{ the ones with translucent blue color no hub}I thought the nikes were so soft i would get outstanding grip ,but that was before i actually sk8ed them.I likened the feel to chewing gum that felt like the wheels were spreading like batter from a spatula onto the floor.there was no squeeling noise at all , no roll or grip at the rink.
I have to agree too soft doesnt equal grip.
Old September 2nd, 2017, 03:29 AM   #16
amohrfeld

I have two sets or rollerbones 103 art wheels: one white and one black. The white ones feel great. The black ones feel too slippery. Also the white ones are fairly old so I would have expected them to be the more slippery. Instead it's the other way.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2017, 02:22 PM   #17
quantoo

Default are the whites natural?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
I have two sets or rollerbones 103 art wheels: one white and one black. The white ones feel great. The black ones feel too slippery. Also the white ones are fairly old so I would have expected them to be the more slippery. Instead it's the other way.
Cos i heard that color pigment makes a wheel less grippy
Old September 2nd, 2017, 07:59 PM   #18
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default I have...

A set of white narrow Wickeds. 97-8s Grip as good as any other color. Don't know if I have any Naturals in that durometer however.
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:30 AM   #19
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
Pigment has an affect too. I once asked Scott about pigment and found out that different amounts of pigment is used to make good color in a batch. So some color of wheels grip better than others. The wheels may be made from the same batch of urethane but once the pigment is added, different colors, grip is not equal anymore in the range of different colored wheels in that batch. That's how I see it.
Old September 6th, 2017, 05:33 AM   #20
fierocious1

Quote:
A set of white narrow Wickeds. 97-8s Grip as good as any other color. Don't know if I have any Naturals in that durometer however.
My white Shamans are the same way, I don't know if the old anabolix the tire would be any different in grip. They were awesome gripping wheels when I ran those a few years ago. But roll would be different between the two. I like non pigmented wheels.