S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 1st, 2017, 12:30 AM   #1
Luv2roll

Default Bearings

I hope this question doesn't raise to many eyebrows but I honestly don't know & would like an answer to. Is there a difference in bearings for quad skates, skate boards & inline skates. I've been looking for bearings & don't want to run into a problem. So if you can help....
Luv2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:04 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2roll View Post
I hope this question doesn't raise to many eyebrows but I honestly don't know & would like an answer to. Is there a difference in bearings for quad skates, skate boards & inline skates. I've been looking for bearings & don't want to run into a problem. So if you can help....
Generally they are the same bearings. You can get bearings at your local rink or academy. There are 2 sizes, for skates. 8mm and 7mm. Most skates these days use 8mm. Which is for the larger axles. I use skate bearings from used inline skates(most are not used very much before they find a closet to lie in) from second hand stores and bargain shops for about $2 a pair. They have the same amount of bearings and they are 8mm. Or you can get new sets for around $30.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 1st, 2017, 01:31 AM   #3
Luv2roll

Thanks! your answer is greatly appreciated. I didn't even think about the second hand stores. That's a great idea because I would like to try out different bearings without breaking the bank
Old April 1st, 2017, 02:54 AM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Thanks! your answer is greatly appreciated. I didn't even think about the second hand stores. That's a great idea because I would like to try out different bearings without breaking the bank
I usually take the least damaged ones. Now another thing, some of those have really crappy bearings, so you will want to look at the skates that are not pure junk ones. Bauer, Powerslide, Labeda, Rollerblade, K2, Soloman... etc should have descent grades of bearings. Off brands(cheapies) will will have garbage bearings in them that have the spacer built into the inner race and the outer race will not be flat but will be tapered. Usually these let the wheels flop fairly loosely if you rock the wheels side to side.
Old April 1st, 2017, 05:21 PM   #5
Luv2roll

Great info! Thanks
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:15 AM   #6
quantoo

Default like the kmart malibu inline bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I usually take the least damaged ones. Now another thing, some of those have really crappy bearings, so you will want to look at the skates that are not pure junk ones. Bauer, Powerslide, Labeda, Rollerblade, K2, Soloman... etc should have descent grades of bearings. Off brands(cheapies) will will have garbage bearings in them that have the spacer built into the inner race and the outer race will not be flat but will be tapered. Usually these let the wheels flop fairly loosely if you rock the wheels side to side.
I have those malibus and the bearings were shocking, spacer built in sloppy as all getout.
quantoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:41 PM   #7
wired

These are fine, VXB 100 608-2RS 8x22x7 Ball Bearing:Sealed:Greased $39.95, likely as good as you will find in 2nd hand skates.

Old April 8th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #8
Luv2roll

Default Wasn't sure

I just purchased bearings 608-2RS from VXB for $16.00 & the Qube's from a skate shop for $25 these prices are not including shipping. I'm trying these because a couple people on the forum including Doc sk8 says that the inexpensive bearing works as well as the expensive ones if you keep them cleaned & oiled. I have the Swiss bone bearings in the skates I use now & they roll very smooth. I'm hoping to get similar results. I won't know if I don't try them out. I haven't found skates in the second hand stores here but I'm still looking.
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #9
Luv2roll

Also a little concerned about the swiss bone bearings in the skates i have now. They look really dirty & a little rusty. I've never skated outside but have left them in the car overnight. Before reading the forum, didn't know you had to clean or oil them. Well at least clean. I was skating one session & one of the instructors told me he heard my wheels, he put some oil on them & I was rolling so much faster but didn't know they were slow before. This will be my first time cleaning them. Maybe I should let the pro's do this
Old April 8th, 2017, 07:34 PM   #10
fierocious1

Quote:
Also a little concerned about the swiss bone bearings in the skates i have now. They look really dirty & a little rusty. I've never skated outside but have left them in the car overnight. Before reading the forum, didn't know you had to clean or oil them. Well at least clean. I was skating one session & one of the instructors told me he heard my wheels, he put some oil on them & I was rolling so much faster but didn't know they were slow before. This will be my first time cleaning them. Maybe I should let the pro's do this
Cleaning bearings is a whole nother thing. Some schenarios...
1. If you use grease, they should roll for a very long time without any maintenance.
2. If you clean regularly, usually people that clean regularly use special lubes that you have to keep cleaning and maintaining.
3. I dont clean bearings. When they act up the bearings are usually done anyway. So I swap them out and trash the old ones. Maintenance by replacement. I have only thrown away 1 set of bearings due to my use in 7 years.

No matter how good of a bearing set you buy, the difference in how much resistance they give to rolling is minute at best.
Wheels however, offer the most performance gains as far as rolling is concerned. I carry several sets of wheels to adapt to various floor conditions at different rinks.
Old April 8th, 2017, 08:19 PM   #11
Luv2roll

That's interesting,to roll on them until they're done. I did notice that most that cleaned & oiled bearings were outside skaters or skateboarders. I don't think the people at the session I go to clean their bearings either. They do add oil. Is that a good thing? I've been reading on the forum about the different wheels & I will try out a couple of those in the near future. Just purchased the Atom wheels Trak atak on closeout. Don't know if they are any good yet. Haven't tried them yet. My goal are the Aussie Scott wheels.
Old April 8th, 2017, 09:19 PM   #12
fierocious1

Quote:
That's interesting,to roll on them until they're done. I did notice that most that cleaned & oiled bearings were outside skaters or skateboarders. I don't think the people at the session I go to clean their bearings either. They do add oil. Is that a good thing? I've been reading on the forum about the different wheels & I will try out a couple of those in the near future. Just purchased the Atom wheels Trak atak on closeout. Don't know if they are any good yet. Haven't tried them yet. My goal are the Aussie Scott wheels.
Cleaning for outdoors is almost mandatory. Skating in rinks is much cleaner. I never oil I use greased bearings. If you oil you also contaminate your urethane wheels as the oil is spun out and contaminate the skate floor. Oil is as dangerous as water on any skate surface. My wheels get the tread cleaned a lot for maximum grip to remove oils and sweat that is picked up on the wheels from the skate surface.
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:25 PM   #13
Luv2roll

Default Good 2 know

Really appreciate the knowledge! So I don't have to clean or oil the swiss bone bearings, right? They look bad tho. How will I know when it's time to change the bearings? I'm guessing they will last a long time before I have to worry about that.
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:31 PM   #14
fierocious1

Quote:
Really appreciate the knowledge! So I don't have to clean or oil the swiss bone bearings, right? They look bad tho. How will I know when it's time to change the bearings? I'm guessing they will last a long time before I have to worry about that.
The bearings will get really noisy and feel rough when you spin the wheels. Bear in mind I do this my way and others will not agree or feel different about bearing maintenace. So this is my opinion, but bearings last a long long time if skated indoors.
Old April 8th, 2017, 11:47 PM   #15
Luv2roll

Ok. So while i'm asking, how often should wheels be cleaned? What is used to clean them? Went to a different rink last week & the floor was so slippery that even the really good skaters were not skating as fast as usual. I took a damp paper towel & wiped the wheels off & had a lot more grip but wasn't sure if this method was good.
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:08 AM   #16
fierocious1

Quote:
Ok. So while i'm asking, how often should wheels be cleaned? What is used to clean them? Went to a different rink last week & the floor was so slippery that even the really good skaters were not skating as fast as usual. I took a damp paper towel & wiped the wheels off & had a lot more grip but wasn't sure if this method was good.
I use a small spray bottle with mint alcohol. I sit down stick both feet out and spin the front wheels and spray a good shot at each wheel tread. Let soak for 30 seconds and wipe off on the carpet or rags if some are handy. Then Pull your skates back and repeat on the rear wheels. That usually gets all the crud off.
Try skating with fresh cleaned wheels then decide when they are not gripping as good as cleaned to clean again.
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:10 AM   #17
Luv2roll

Found many answers in the forum. water, water & vinegar, alcohol, windex, soap & water, orange cleaner, 409, scrub pads. I'm guessing it doesn't matter what you use as long as you clean them
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:12 AM   #18
Luv2roll

Default Thanks

Responded before I read your reply. There was a lot of answers out there. I'll use the method you suggested.
Old April 9th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #19
fierocious1

Quote:
Responded before I read your reply. There was a lot of answers out there. I'll use the method you suggested.
Don't use anything that will leave a residue like soaps/mixes.