S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 14th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #21
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I hear ya mort.
We hoon around like kids most nights.All the parents hate us...
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #22
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
I hear ya mort.
We hoon around like kids most nights.All the parents hate us...
Bwa haha, I know right?

Familiar??

2 skaters with just 18 inches of clearance? Walking speed for those skaters? Wall 3 skaters wide only 3 foot in front of em? We got this, sprint speed ahead... backwards^.-

I wish we had overhead video of how we skate at our rink when its packed. Ya know, like push a button for a timestamp for when we had a nice intense moment

Its a smaller rink, lil narrow, great with about 125 to 150 people on it (IMO). Crowded as crap but that won't hold us

Derby practices are fine for learning a skill from someone. Session is where you impliment it and practice it.

The juniors I used to coach skate session alot, and they will put the hurting on the adult team. I wonder why? -.o
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:23 AM   #23
malajusted
old but still good

Derby ..won't comment.
Im only doing 3 hours every couple of week
Its called social skating .go roll with the the other people
Listen to some of there stories
You might learn or find out somthing new
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:37 AM   #24
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Hey mal maybe you can post up some of your vintage derby footage.
When they could actually skate...
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:48 AM   #25
malajusted
old but still good

Ha.
I would ask who taught the coaches.
Did they just learn
Or did they spend time at a rink
And then pass on there experience
Old March 14th, 2017, 06:10 PM   #26
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by malajusted View Post
Ha.
I would ask who taught the coaches.
Did they just learn
Or did they spend time at a rink
And then pass on there experience
Taught the coaches to skate? Shiiiiiiit, I know coaches who cant skate, let alone pass minimum skills.
Old March 14th, 2017, 09:49 PM   #27
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Taught the coaches to skate? Shiiiiiiit, I know coaches who cant skate, let alone pass minimum skills.
I wonder if there is a record for derby reg floor 5 lap time?
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 05:54 AM   #28
HeBeGB

Ref min skills used to be top marks if you could do 10 laps of the derby track in 95 seconds.
I remember doing it in 87 seconds, but I am not overly quick or fit

Check with Judge Knot

Last edited by HeBeGB; March 15th, 2017 at 05:55 AM. Reason: additional info
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #29
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I wonder if there is a record for derby reg floor 5 lap time?
As HeBeGB said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Ref min skills used to be top marks if you could do 10 laps of the derby track in 95 seconds.
I remember doing it in 87 seconds, but I am not overly quick or fit

Check with Judge Knot
That is the Minimum for a certified "WFTDA" ref. 1 min 35 seconds. I don't think theres many skaters I skate with that couldn't do that time or much better even.

I haven't tried it in a long time. I know my time is quick for 10 seconds though. I wanna say I can average 7 second laps without any problem even on our loose floor. Not sure if I could get under a 1 min time tho for 10 laps.

Hell I'd do the 1:35 time easy from a backwards only start . Derby specific skill req's are pretty low honestly
Old March 16th, 2017, 02:18 AM   #30
Vampyre

Didn't make it out tonight. 5 year anniversary and too many old fashioneds. Bummed since we are out of town this weekend. Should still make the Sunday adult skate.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 03:08 PM   #31
jotson

I usually skate about 1.5 hours at the adult session. Occasionally get in 2 sessions a week. Used to have a bunch of derby players, but they moved to a different rink, so there's usually only a few per week where I skate.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 05:02 PM   #32
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I wish I could skate that much. It is an hour any direction to a rink for me.
I travel 50 minutes (1x per week) to one rink and 75 minutes (2x per week) to another for weekly inline speed practices. Also, when I skate an occasional adult night on my quads, it's nearly 90 minutes to the best adult night in the area.

No wonder I had to buy a 3rd family vehicle to offset mileage accrued for skating. I went from averaging 20k between 2 vehicles to 40k between 3 vehicles.

(Oh, not to mention that inline competitions are non-existent in the northeast, so I have to drive a MINIMUM of 4.5 hours for the closest one in the Keystone League. The average is usually closer to 6 hours, and this is 7 times per year. Plus invitational competitions, which are even further (VA and NC).)
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 08:23 PM   #33
AZSHOT

Being a late 20s or 30something person deciding to learn to skate derby will take you about 10 hours practice for every 1 hour done by kids 7-17 years old. when the derby people come to our adult night, they are all slow, awkward, and get in the way trying to do stupid moves like chains. When speed skate comes, they are blow away by anyone under 17, and over 30 usually. I'm glad derby has come around and is bringing more people to skating. But trying to learn a very athletic skill in basically middle age is hard. Many of the people I skate with are over 40, and you can tell 3 hours a week 25 years ago was all they needed for lifelong skills.

I pretty much stopped skating at 19. But skated every Friday for 5-6 years before that. I could go 15 years without a pair of skates on, then put some on, and be up to 90% of my teen skills in about 15 minutes. Muscle memory lasts a lifetime.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18th, 2017, 10:54 PM   #34
Dekindy

It is going to depend on the league. During derby season high ranked WFTDA leagues skate and physically train several times a week for long duration at high intensity. Rest is an important part of training also so I doubt if you will see them skating at a rink.

Offseason is high level cross training. I don't know about highly fit athletes, but at my level non skating physical training can yield more gain in skating ability than skating at a roller rink general session. You might be more likely to see them outdoors trail skating for change of pace and endurance or at a local skate park in warm weather offseason as opposed to an indoor rink.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #35
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Being a late 20s or 30something person deciding to learn to skate derby will take you about 10 hours practice for every 1 hour done by kids 7-17 years old. when the derby people come to our adult night, they are all slow, awkward, and get in the way trying to do stupid moves like chains. When speed skate comes, they are blow away by anyone under 17, and over 30 usually. I'm glad derby has come around and is bringing more people to skating. But trying to learn a very athletic skill in basically middle age is hard. Many of the people I skate with are over 40, and you can tell 3 hours a week 25 years ago was all they needed for lifelong skills.

I pretty much stopped skating at 19. But skated every Friday for 5-6 years before that. I could go 15 years without a pair of skates on, then put some on, and be up to 90% of my teen skills in about 15 minutes. Muscle memory lasts a lifetime.
Somewhat disagree. If you are learing solo, maybe. If you're able to watch and learn, have good skill levels at session to mimic, or better yet find a veteran skater to teach and guide you with basics to work on, skating only take 4 months to become VERYgood at woth 3 sessions a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
It is going to depend on the league. During derby season high ranked WFTDA leagues skate and physically train several times a week for long duration at high intensity. Rest is an important part of training also so I doubt if you will see them skating at a rink.

Offseason is high level cross training. I don't know about highly fit athletes, but at my level non skating physical training can yield more gain in skating ability than skating at a roller rink general session. You might be more likely to see them outdoors trail skating for change of pace and endurance or at a local skate park in warm weather offseason as opposed to an indoor rink.
Then you must not have a group of skaters who challenge you. The crowd I roll with aren't all great skaters yet, but the few new ones are already better then 3 or 4 year derby skaters who train 4 times a week.

Im pretty against lifting weights anymore, theres much more you can attain by intelligently using the time you have available for physical activities. Example? You will always have recovery and healing time for exercises, why choose to only build strength? Coordination and range of motion matter, and if you are not training that to its limits, dont expect to be a great skater.
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:19 AM   #36
AZSHOT

Youth gives several advantages:

- No fear
- You heal faster, so again,
- No fear (the importance of that cannot be overstated)
- You are more flexible
- You gain muscle faster
- You weigh less

You won't find many top athletes in any sport that start the sport in their late 20s or 30s. Competitive dancers, figure skaters, a lot of boxers, skiers and snowboarders, and many more start before their teens. There are exceptions, but what I said is exactly true. A 10 to 17 year old will learn faster, better, and further than any grownup trying to "back in" what they never did when young.

It's kind of like the old investment axiom: If you start at 20, you can stop at 40, and still have more money than someone that starts at 30 and saves the same monthly amount the rest of their life.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 12:23 AM   #37
Vampyre

I was upset that I only got 2 hours before pumpkin time last night. Probably going on Wednesday too. Trying to get 6 hours total a week.
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 01:42 AM   #38
Trixton

Probably got a good 15 hours rink time last week. Beasting it on my new Arius setup.
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 02:20 AM   #39
fierocious1

Default You guys

are making me sick.. LOL.. This week I wouldn't be able to skate much anyway, clearing land and digging ditches for piping for a new house for the wifey.... then I get a new shop! YES!!
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2017, 07:39 AM   #40
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixton View Post
Probably got a good 15 hours rink time last week. Beasting it on my new Arius setup.
<3 arius plates. theres 2 of us locally that have them now. Numbers may grow soon.

I got to skate for about 4 hours last week, probably more of the same this week.