S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 12th, 2017, 03:05 AM   #1
fierocious1

Default How MUCH?

I can't help but notice that people spend different amounts of time "on the skate floor".
I see hardly any derby skaters in the rink but hear they go to practice. Seems like they would want to be a better skater to be competitive and would spend more time on the floor even when not in practice.
Anyway, how much skate time do you get on a session?
I skate about 3 to 4 hours per session. My duration is getting long again now that the skates are getting even more comfortable to skate on. Long frame, good handling and comfortable boots.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 03:24 AM   #2
HeBeGB

I usually skate all bar about 10-15min of a session.

(In regards to Derby, I think that's why it's now referred to as "Derby" rather than "Roller Derby" )

*Let the fireworks begin* :P
Old March 12th, 2017, 03:38 AM   #3
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Usually about 6hrs week.Used to be more but am getting old its more a social and exercise thing now.
And dont get me started on the derby folk.
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:24 AM   #4
Vampyre

I skated 1.5 hours tonight, 2 hours last night, and 2 hours last Sunday. I just got my first non rental skates yesterday, and I want to skate more. I may have a problem...lol
Vampyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:32 AM   #5
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampyre View Post
I skated 1.5 hours tonight, 2 hours last night, and 2 hours last Sunday. I just got my first non rental skates yesterday, and I want to skate more. I may have a problem...lol

And so it begins.......look up seds...
Old March 12th, 2017, 05:02 AM   #6
Vampyre

Going tomorrow night with a large group for an adult skate too...lo
Old March 12th, 2017, 01:05 PM   #7
fierocious1

Quote:
I see several sets of wheels in your near future....
Old March 12th, 2017, 01:55 PM   #8
Traffic Dancer

I haven't touched my skates in a few weeks.....soooooo sad!
Traffic Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 05:05 PM   #9
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Anyway, how much skate time do you get on a session?
Usually two sessions a week, 3-4 hours a session and on the floor most of the time. Throw in some extra skate time at about 4-8 hours a month at adult nights and other gotta skate moments and I'm in the low to mid 30 hours a month on skates, moving, with gusto.

Old March 12th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #10
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Usually two sessions a week, 3-4 hours a session and on the floor most of the time. Throw in some extra skate time at about 4-8 hours a month at adult nights and other gotta skate moments and I'm in the low to mid 30 hours a month on skates, moving, with gusto.

I wish I could skate that much. It is an hour any direction to a rink for me.
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:56 AM   #11
Vampyre

Just got back from my 3rd day in a row. Luckily the rink is only 5 min away. We have 3 in my town. Going to try one of the other rinks on Wednesday for their adult skate.
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:21 AM   #12
wired

Quote:
Just got back from my 3rd day in a row. Luckily the rink is only 5 min away. We have 3 in my town. Going to try one of the other rinks on Wednesday for their adult skate.
Yes, you are lucky!

I highly recommend the Sunday adult night at Semoran. Lots of fun and great skaters!

Old March 13th, 2017, 10:28 AM   #13
Derrick

Default Normal week 6 hours

I can't sit, I skate from opening song to last. Thursday 2 hours in Warsaw (1/2 hour west). Sunday 4 hours Fort Wayne (1/2 hour east). We have a local rink but sessions only 2 hours on Sunday. Too short. Sometimes I get an extra 2 hours session somewhere. But not too often.
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:18 PM   #14
Vampyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
Yes, you are lucky!

I highly recommend the Sunday adult night at Semoran. Lots of fun and great skaters!

That is where we were last night, and where we go most of the time as it is the closest. We live only a couple miles away.
Old March 13th, 2017, 04:38 PM   #15
Rollmazicon

Quote:
That is where we were last night, and where we go most of the time as it is the closest. We live only a couple miles away.
That's my favorite (I just used to go to the derby practices). Lets Skate Orlando (Winter Garden) has that God-awful sport court and isn't worth going to ($8 is a bit steep to weave around posts and kids on a small floor).
Haven't been to the other one down south since they fixed their floor.
Rollmazicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #16
Vampyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollmazicon View Post
That's my favorite (I just used to go to the derby practices). Lets Skate Orlando (Winter Garden) has that God-awful sport court and isn't worth going to ($8 is a bit steep to weave around posts and kids on a small floor).
Haven't been to the other one down south since they fixed their floor.
The other one is called Astro Skate, and it isn't far either. Looks like just passed 408 going South on Semoran. We may go to there on Wednesday 830-11. It is only $5 for that adult night.
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:00 PM   #17
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Of the competitive derby skaters I know, most spend at least 4 hours a week on skates. High level derby skaters will be on skates significantly more than 4 hours, some are on par with a part time job. Also, the amount of time they spend cross training is fairly high, usually well into the double digits of hours per week.

Depending on what the derby skater wants to work on, going to public session is not the best place to work on most derby skills. From personal experience, I have almost leveled session skaters when working on basic stuff. I can do more in 15 minutes before or after practice than in a 3 hour public session.

Good, effective derby form varies from person to person and league to league. Regardless, rarely does good derby form resemble good classical (ie: speed and artistic) form. Some of the best derby skaters I know would make an artistic coach cringe.

Then there are the other factors of going to public session. Compared to derby practice, public session is boring. Going around in circles for a few hours, listening to crap music is very dull compared to the action of derby. Then, there is the fact that public sessions are full of "experts" shoveling out advice to derby people. That gets real annoying real fast.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #18
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Then there are the other factors of going to public session. Compared to derby practice, public session is boring. Going around in circles for a few hours, listening to crap music is very dull compared to the action of derby. Then, there is the fact that public sessions are full of "experts" shoveling out advice to derby people. That gets real annoying real fast.
IDK. With modern slow derby a good session can be quite exciting in comparison.

Sessions can certainly build speed, endurance and agility/prediction skills. Learning to not level other skaters accidentally is certainly a good skill to acquire. Derby practice and session skating are not the same thing and should never be viewed as such. For good skaters they can be good complements to each other and may benefit the derby newcomers the most, if they can wrap their head around the difference.

IMHO the accuracy of information can vary quite a bit. I have heard plenty of crap advise coming the other way.

"Annoyance" is in the mind of the beholder. One of the beautiful things about skating is it can transcend the music and environment and move you to a higher place. That is where I try to live.

Old March 13th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #19
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Of the competitive derby skaters I know, most spend at least 4 hours a week on skates. High level derby skaters will be on skates significantly more than 4 hours, some are on par with a part time job. Also, the amount of time they spend cross training is fairly high, usually well into the double digits of hours per week.

Depending on what the derby skater wants to work on, going to public session is not the best place to work on most derby skills. From personal experience, I have almost leveled session skaters when working on basic stuff. I can do more in 15 minutes before or after practice than in a 3 hour public session.

Good, effective derby form varies from person to person and league to league. Regardless, rarely does good derby form resemble good classical (ie: speed and artistic) form. Some of the best derby skaters I know would make an artistic coach cringe.

Yeah I'm one of those experts.Now that i know what y,all think ,i will shut my mouth.And you guys can be crap skaters the rest of your lives...
But great derby players.
Old March 14th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #20
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Any session where someone trys to keep pace with the kids I roll with will not be bored, I promise that.

Session is WAY more intense IF you make it to be. Theres so much to do, but it is VERY boring solo.

Here in lies the rub. If you skate like my crew does at a public session you'll likely get kicked out if you keep it up.