S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old January 13th, 2017, 02:46 AM   #1
intamin

Default "I'll slit your throat!" What comments have you heard?

I figured I'd start off my time here with a little story that happened to me recently.

I was doing some fitness skating with my brand new 2017 K2 F.I.T. Boa's at my local recreational park, got going pretty fast in stints--definitely 15+, potentially 20. Never passed anyone closely at that speed, let anyone know I was coming up on them, wasn't being aggressive whatsoever--hadn't even been at the park for 10 minutes.

I do a few loops and am coming around again, about to pass by (for the very first time) this cartel member (just imagine straight out of Breaking Bad: huge GMC suv, gold chains, etc.) with his young 4 year old daughter. As I approach them, I'm now gliding with no power at about 7 mph at the most, maybe 5.

I make no threatening moves, no aggressive gestures, just gliding by like they're anyone else. Now, this is a wide sidewalk...wide enough for 5 people to stand shoulder width apart. But as I approach them the gang member says, "Heyyyy man, not too close to the kids now, not too close..."

His comments coming straight out of left field, I just give him this wack look like, "Why the hell are you talking to me? I've literally never seen you before and done nothing even close to uncourteous to anyone at the park..." But I don't say a word--just keep looking at him incredulously.

So, him being a gang member and all, he doesn't appreciate non-submission to his perceived authority, so as I'm drifting away he lays it on thicker, "I'll slit your throat man! Don't you get too close!"

I wanted to quip back but just left it and skated on...

I just thought this was insane and wondered if others have encountered similar individuals who seem to have aggressive lizard brains. I'm sure he does this to all sorts of people, but it seemed like it was just me he chose that day. Do you think it was the blades? He thought I'd be an easy target or something?

I'm still confused on this one...what comments have you heard? Any similar crazy stories?

Last edited by intamin; March 6th, 2017 at 05:46 AM.
intamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #2
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

ohh yeah thats common around here.......

Old January 13th, 2017, 12:14 PM   #3
bjvircks
Major Trouble

I think that he perceived the questioning look you gave him as a sign of disrespect to him and an indication that you intend to continue to disregard his 'order'. This has no relationship to how much room there is on the walk or how unreasonably spread out others may be or the safety of the child. It is a power/control/domination issue.
Old January 16th, 2017, 04:10 AM   #4
intamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
ohh yeah thats common around here.......

Is it actually common?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
I think that he perceived the questioning look you gave him as a sign of disrespect to him and an indication that you intend to continue to disregard his 'order'. This has no relationship to how much room there is on the walk or how unreasonably spread out others may be or the safety of the child. It is a power/control/domination issue.
Yeah, I'm sure that was a big part of it. If I'd have been like, "Oh I'm so sorry I will definitely heed your words!" I'm sure he'd have just been like, "That's right boy..." -_-
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #5
whiskey02

I've had (what looked to be) a 16 year old girl on the sidewalk take the cigarette out of her mouth and tell say "you've got really nice legs".
whiskey02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:22 AM   #6
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskey02 View Post
I've had (what looked to be) a 16 year old girl on the sidewalk take the cigarette out of her mouth and tell say "you've got really nice legs".
Exactly, people react to how they are perceived.
The OP was aggressive to an aggressive dude, got a life threatening comment.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30th, 2017, 05:39 PM   #7
intamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Wow. To think that you troll this badly when you have no idea what actually happened. Shame. Your rudimentary understanding of psychology is nowhere near reality. Be a little less confrontational and strive for comprehension rather than reaction.
Old March 3rd, 2017, 04:42 AM   #8
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by intamin View Post
...what comments have you heard? Any similar crazy stories?
Eh...since there aren't many male skaters in my city (and lots of Derby Girls) I get the occasional comment insinuating that I have a male wife - if you get my drift. But here's the thing - I have more than my allotted number of gay friends and relatives so I don't really understand the comments as insults. Added to the fact that I played baseball from 5 years old to 25 years old mostly on 3rd base, which means at least half the time I am the closest guy to the opposing team's dugout. So for 20 years I had suffered abuse from a dozen strangers for literally hours each day including, but not limited to: my mom, sisters, grandmothers, girlfriend, my sexual orientation, equipment size, food choices, along with many, many anatomically impossible suggestions. No words phase me in the least.

Just two weeks ago I was skating out on the riverfront and passed a group of three adult male gutter-punks, one of whom made some gay comment about my skating. My first thought was to inform him/them about how silly any judgement sounded coming from some crusty, filthy, un-groomed, smells-like-a-dumpster-full-of-week-old-seafood, sleeping-under-a-bridge $h!thead. But...I just quietly passed and gave them the "peace" sign (my standard response to almost everything). Surprisingly the same guy then said: "Sorry dude, I used to skate too...my bad". I love happy endings.
Old March 4th, 2017, 06:38 PM   #9
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
I agree. People are very sensitive about the safety of their kids. You have a dad that's concerned about his daughter and you disrespect him and give him attitude, it's not going to end well.
Old March 6th, 2017, 01:44 AM   #10
BigFoot

Friend or foe?

Yeah, broken glass, stray dogs, or rocks on the trail are minor compared to bad people. I was skating in downtown Los Angeles when I stopped at an intersection for a red light. The light turned green and I started across. Coming toward me from the other side of the street was an angry guy who screamed, “You could kill somebody, *&#@*%^*.” When he was 15 feet away he threw his day pack at me. I dodged the day pack as he came closer. There were no cars in the lane next to the crosswalk, so I swung out and sprinted past him. He continued to yell and swear as I made my escape.

Unfortunately, there are some people in downtown L.A. that are delusional and violent. And the scary thing is they can strike without warning in response to voices in their head or some imaginary injustice or fear. Anyway, this is a job for the police and mental health professionals, not for me. My job is to watch out for number 1. You’ve got your troubles, I’ve got mine.

This is only the second unkind comment I have ever had. I mostly get called “old school” because I skate on quads, or “dad” because of my age.

Side note: FrizzleFry in the thread "Powerslide is more like a uncontrolled sharp turn" said, “When I skate around town I always try to have at least 2 ways out of every situation…” Great advice, one that I follow, and in this case it paid off. Noticing that there were no cars in the next lane gave me a way out.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #11
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

I commute to work by bicycle through some sketchy hoods. I live by the "21 Foot Rule". If you never heard of it, watch the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y49rv3QBtkk

This will also help non-law enforcement people understand why so many "innocent" people get shot by police officers in the USA. If you act the fool within a 21 foot radius of a cop you put yourself in mortal danger.
Old March 6th, 2017, 05:52 AM   #12
intamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Eh...since there aren't many male skaters in my city (and lots of Derby Girls) I get the occasional comment insinuating that I have a male wife - if you get my drift. But here's the thing - I have more than my allotted number of gay friends and relatives so I don't really understand the comments as insults. Added to the fact that I played baseball from 5 years old to 25 years old mostly on 3rd base, which means at least half the time I am the closest guy to the opposing team's dugout. So for 20 years I had suffered abuse from a dozen strangers for literally hours each day including, but not limited to: my mom, sisters, grandmothers, girlfriend, my sexual orientation, equipment size, food choices, along with many, many anatomically impossible suggestions. No words phase me in the least.

Just two weeks ago I was skating out on the riverfront and passed a group of three adult male gutter-punks, one of whom made some gay comment about my skating. My first thought was to inform him/them about how silly any judgement sounded coming from some crusty, filthy, un-groomed, smells-like-a-dumpster-full-of-week-old-seafood, sleeping-under-a-bridge $h!thead. But...I just quietly passed and gave them the "peace" sign (my standard response to almost everything). Surprisingly the same guy then said: "Sorry dude, I used to skate too...my bad". I love happy endings.
Funny stuff, I'm glad it turned out fine. That's still the only negative comment I've had yet, thankfully. I had a guy come up to me two days ago and ask me where I got my new K2s. Felt good evangelizing and seeing that skating seems to be on the up and up again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post

Friend or foe?

Yeah, broken glass, stray dogs, or rocks on the trail are minor compared to bad people. I was skating in downtown Los Angeles when I stopped at an intersection for a red light. The light turned green and I started across. Coming toward me from the other side of the street was an angry guy who screamed, “You could kill somebody, *&#@*%^*.” When he was 15 feet away he threw his day pack at me. I dodged the day pack as he came closer. There were no cars in the lane next to the crosswalk, so I swung out and sprinted past him. He continued to yell and swear as I made my escape.

Unfortunately, there are some people in downtown L.A. that are delusional and violent. And the scary thing is they can strike without warning in response to voices in their head or some imaginary injustice or fear. Anyway, this is a job for the police and mental health professionals, not for me. My job is to watch out for number 1.

Side note: FrizzleFry in the thread "Powerslide is more like a uncontrolled sharp turn" said, “When I skate around town I always try to have at least 2 ways out of every situation…” Great advice, one that I follow, and in this case it paid off. Noticing that there were no cars in the next lane gave me a way out.
That's almost exactly what he looked like, just without the wounds and twice as fat! Amazing.

According to ursle and skaterdog, though, you were rude, confrontational, and aggressive, and the angry thug who wanted to murder you was merely misunderstood, probably abused as a child, and a neglected minority who had a hard time making a living. You should really get that checked out.

I like that advice, I think I do that already, subconsciously, but also consciously when that dog off a leash is approaching and there's no way out but a field of grass on either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
I agree. People are very sensitive about the safety of their kids. You have a dad that's concerned about his daughter and you disrespect him and give him attitude, it's not going to end well.
False. Overly sensitive in this case, because, as I clearly stated, I went by him as far as possible at about the speed of a jogger or fast walker...that isn't dangerous, there's no reason for concern, I did not disrespect him nor give him attitude (not that he deserved respect to begin with)--he threatened me. Man, reading comprehension is hard for some people, huh?

P.S. - That was attitude, and justly deserved.
Old March 6th, 2017, 12:59 PM   #13
wired

Quote:
According to ursle and skaterdog, though, you were rude, confrontational, and aggressive, and the angry thug who wanted to murder you was merely misunderstood, probably abused as a child, and a neglected minority who had a hard time making a living. You should really get that checked out.
You are reading too much into this. Some people are just aholes and poke at anyone for reasons that make no sense to normal people.

Quote:
I did not disrespect him nor give him attitude (not that he deserved respect to begin with)--he threatened me.
The way people perceive threats has little to do with reality. No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise. In this case I don't think he really felt threatened but instead was just jerking you around to see what you would do.

Sorry you had a bad experience. It could have been worse it you had risen to his bait.

Old March 6th, 2017, 09:29 PM   #14
intamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
You are reading too much into this. Some people are just aholes and poke at anyone for reasons that make no sense to normal people.

The way people perceive threats has little to do with reality. No amount of evidence will convince them otherwise. In this case I don't think he really felt threatened but instead was just jerking you around to see what you would do.

Sorry you had a bad experience. It could have been worse it you had risen to his bait.
Not sure if you meant the other members of this board or the aggressive people we encounter while skating (or both ). I'm really not reading into anything, though, that first part you quoted was a joke poking fun at the other two board-members who took the sides of the aggressive people not knowing anything about the situation.

As for the second half of your response, that could certainly have been the case. But there's no getting into the mind of the deranged.