S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old April 18th, 2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Silverado

Wink 7 MM Bearing Spacers, Solved?

I'm old in years and new to this blog. I have a pair of Synder Imperial with Riedell boots with a serial number of 4006. Yes, they have a serial number stamped on the on the plates. I had Bones V-IV wheels installed on them at the rink. I've worked at three rinks over time and should have done them myself. They put 8MM spacers in them and could never tighten the nuts down because of binding. Now I've replaced the cushions, wheels and bearings. 7 MM spacers are hard to find and when you do they want an arm and leg for them. Hears what I did and should work for a lot of quad wheels. I have installed RollerBones Elite Artistic 62MM X 101.
New Bones red 7MM bearings. My old bearings were 627ZZ. I took the old bearing apart and USED THE INNER RACE AS BEARING SPACER. Now I can tighten the nut down and the wheels spin great. Once tightened down I took my old wheel and thumped the wheel and it really set the bearings. If you have the old 7 MM axels this should work great with RollerBones wheels.
I'm not sure about other brands of wheels. I also found 7 and 8MM washers that could be used to increase the spacer length if needed. I found them at Lowes Home Improvement in the speciality washer drawer. I've read a lot of people don't use the bearing spacers.
Ball bearings are pressed on to a shaft ( axle ) and pressed into a housing (wheel ). If one or the other spins it wears on the contact surface. I'm talking about Bones quad wheels. Any axles I'v seen are undersize and the bearings just drop on. The spacer lets the inner race be secured. If it's not secured it can spin on the axle and wear it more under size. If you can't tighten your axle nut down, they can spin on the axle, especially when they get dirty.

Last edited by Silverado; April 19th, 2017 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Bearing spacers needed?
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2017, 11:29 PM   #2
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

This will awesome with a wheel that has no hub, such as an aluminum or plastic/nylon variety. But take a wheel that has been poured to accept the bearings alone, this is a really good idea. Thanks for sharing
Old April 19th, 2017, 10:13 AM   #3
rwsz

with the hub wheels you really shouldnt need spacers but if you prefer them they cant do any harm.
Old April 20th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #4
larryoracing

Smile Silverado, interesting idea.

In general any spacer will work. Note I say in general...lol! But if you got harder on your skates like jumping and spinning, you might find the spacer allows the wheels to slide back and forth in the hubs.

Another idea is to buy old wheel sets. Most will have spacers in them. You mention the Bones Elite Wheels and I think these wheels require a spacer conducive to the ones made on many of the old "artistic" skating wheels.

I have found spacers made a long time ago in the 60's and 70's still fit the modern "artistic" wheels such as the Bones Elite.

When you get into the more expensive wheels, like Roll line you will require a wider spacer and most companies sell them really cheap if you know and are buying Roll Line products from most certified and approved sellers...in general if you know what I mean???

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to measure a 7mm bearing and see if it is the same width as a 60's and 70's wheel spacer.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani

P.S. I'm willing to bet if you would take the spacer you are using now in your Bones Elite Wheels and put them in a set of Roll line Wheels and tightened the axel nut the wheels would bind, because the spacer is not wide enough. Roll Line wheels use really wide spacers.
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2017, 05:27 AM   #5
Silverado

There are loads of 8MM spacers in the states for sale. I only see a company in UK that sells the 7mm and they want about 16.00 for a set plus shipping. I've worked at 3 rinks over the years and working 7 days a week for 17 years, I let a rink put new bones wheels and bearings on. I could never tighten the nut down or the wheel would start to lock up. I had to leave then backed off a bit. Now I found out that they put 8MM spacers on my 7MM axles. The spacers would actually push against the shields because of the looseness on the shaft. I installed the Bones Elite Artistic with bones red bearings and the inner race spacers and can lock the nuts down with no problem. Thanks for the response. Jim in Erie PA
Old April 21st, 2017, 04:03 PM   #6
Silverado

Note: My starting post as stated applies ONLY to the BONES wheels and the 7 MM axles. Don't know about other brands of wheels. One last word. If the bearing isn't pressed on to a shaft it, it can spin on the shaft. These are not sleeve bearing. I've never seen a 7MM axle that isn't under size. This design allows anyone to change wheel and bearings without a press. But the spacer ( in the Bones case ) allows the bearing to be secured on the shaft and tighten the nut down as needed and the only end result is the bearing is locked on the shaft, as a Ball bearing should be. If you know about installing ball bearing, the inner race must me secured. There is a lock tight product just made for the purpose of locking a bearing on the shaft when it doesn't have a press. This should not be used on skate bearings. The inner race is locked down by the bearing inner races and spacer. Later Jim