S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 1st, 2017, 04:28 PM   #1
boamraces
extreme roller

Default Gear Review: Powerslide Imperial MegaCruiser Pro 125

Hello, my name is jeremy and I recently acquired a pair of the Powerslide Imperial MegaCruiser Pro 125s. A little background. I have been skating since I was 5, mostly urban, some vert but have always been pretty fast. In 2011 I finally got into some real skates. I started off with some RB core 5s and quickly moved into a pair of RB Spark 84s, then to a pair of Rollerblade RB 10s(90mm), then to a pair of Lugino struts(100mm), then to bont semi race 110s. So i have progressed up the wheel sizes fairly strait forward progression. Finally got some 3x125 in the megacruisers.
The Megacruiser Pros are quite the lookers. With its shiny black exterior, nice graphics on the frame and the impossible to miss big wheels starring right at you. I heat molded the liner before putting the skates on. The heat molding was pretty strait forward and I have to say the liner does "fit like a sock" as the website claims. Once I put the liner back in the boot and strapped them on I was immediately surprised with how stiff the and supportive the boot was. It is definitely the most stiff boot I have ever worn. The liner is nice and comfy but not squishy in anyway which is good for the super stiff boot. My first strides with the skate were easy and it took Zero transitioning time to get used to them. After skating a couple miles on them, my feet felt insanely secure and did not hurt anywhere. I am not used to the inline boots and liners fitting so close and tight and was a little worried about my toes, but everything was fine. They are a very maneuverable skate and very comparable if not more responsive than my RB10s. Cross overs, skating backwards, and switching to and from was just as easy. The frame is very comfortable, Its very rigid but doesnt transfer much vibration. I skated over the very rough road in my RB10s the other day and pretty much had to step across the road in them. The MC Pro 125s rolled over them like nothing. The speed from the wheels, even on the 10.2 in frame is impressive. 18mph was easily achieved without even trying hard for me. I would have to say that the only thing harder is stopping at greater speeds. More advanced skills are needed here, but gives you another goal to accomplish. You can always still plow stop, it will just take longer.
Overall I think these are a great skate put out by PowerSlide. It was between this model and the Swell 125. And the only reason I would get the pair of swells is if I didnt want such a hard and supportive boot for urban skating/freestyle/speed. I am a die hard RollerBlade brand supporter ever since I was a kid and never had a pair of powerslides. So far they are a quality skate built with quality materials and a good design. They feel very solid and durable and I can see them lasting me a while. I am a big fan of these 125mm sized wheels. Dont be afraid to try them out if you like your 90s and want to keep your frame short.

-Jeremy

Old February 1st, 2017, 05:21 PM   #2
boamraces
extreme roller

Some pics of the frames

125s compared to 90s and 100s

Old February 2nd, 2017, 08:12 PM   #3
darthblader

Very cool review, man! I've been eyeballing these on the inlinewarehouse site lately, but was concerned about being so high off the ground. I also have some RB 10's and love 'em, despite the cheesy axle system. Those are great pics! The frame looks way more sturdy than I thought they would be. Lately I've been cruising on the Galveston, TX Seawall on 80mm wheel Twister's, and it's a bit perilous at 2:00AM. But they're working on it, gotta give them props for that. Those Powerslides look like they could damn near plow through a pothole!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:09 AM   #4
boamraces
extreme roller

yes the rb 10s do have a cheesy axel system and if you hold the boot upside down between your knees you can flex and shift the frames lol. how are those twister boots? i know they are very similar to the rb10 boot and the new maxxum line but now offer 165mm mounting. Did the twister boot fix the rb 10 flexi mount problem? Theses megacruiser pro frames are awesome and very stiff. I was very happy with the quality. I also cant believe how stiff the boot is. Its pretty much solid except the cuff, but thats fairly rigid as well. If you like those twister boots, i recommend slapping a 3x125mm setup on them. That would be an awesome boot for the 125mm wheels. regarding the potholes, these wheels have rolled over everything i have tried so far and gives you a lot of confidence you can roll anything
Old February 3rd, 2017, 12:11 AM   #5
bigred875

good review...thanks for taking the time to write it
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2017, 09:33 PM   #6
4ofus

Thanks for posting the review. I actually had these on order and they finally arrived today. Can't wait to take them for a ride. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
4ofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2017, 08:55 PM   #7
boamraces
extreme roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ofus View Post
Thanks for posting the review. I actually had these on order and they finally arrived today. Can't wait to take them for a ride. Hopefully tomorrow if the weather cooperates.
You will have to let me know if your experience mirrors mine
Old February 5th, 2017, 04:56 PM   #8
4ofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by boamraces View Post
You will have to let me know if your experience mirrors mine
Will do. Still haven't made it out yet. Been under the weather recently so I've been taking it easy.

I did have a question for you regarding the heat molding process. Maybe I missed something but I did not see instructions in the manual that came with the skates. I read online somewhere that you should not put only the liner in the oven but rather remove the wheels and pull the entire skate. Then I read somewhere else that no treatment was needed and that the boot would mold itself after a week or two of skating.
Old February 5th, 2017, 07:44 PM   #9
darthblader

Quote:
Originally Posted by boamraces View Post
... how are those twister boots?
I hear ya regarding the Rb10's being flexy, regarding where the frame mounts to the boot. That was something I was very disappointed about when I purchased them back in '10. There's a quite a bit of beefy plastic up front, but not so much under the heel mount area. In that regard, I think the twister may be a little better, though the thickness of the plastic appears the same as on the Rb10, maybe a little stiffer.

I'll probably just buy the Imperial and try swapping the frame back and forth.I am experiencing what seems to be a fairly common ankle bone pain issue with the Twister boot, though I have to skate for about 3hrs before I begin to feel anything. I've only skated on these about 6 times now, for a total of about 15hrs.
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5th, 2017, 08:29 PM   #10
4ofus

So with the temps getting above 40 today I decided to venture out to the local rink for a light skate. Overall, I went about 30-45min at a slow pace just to get a feel for the skates. Basic laps around the rink and then various figure 8 patterns to practice crossovers.

At first I had the typical discomfort in shins and feet from the stiffness of the boot. I'm not sure why they put laces on this boot as they feel unnecessary to me with the way the buckles are positioned. The 125mm wheels are really smooth and carried speed well, even for someone inexperienced and not in top shape at the moment. I did notice that crossovers were a bit different due to the taller wheels but felt really stable thanks to the boot stiffness.

I had no arch pain which was fantastic. I did experience some rubbing from the cuff of the line boot and think I need some taller socks next time. The tongue really dug into my shins thanks to the top buckle. I tried loosening the boot and tucking in my pant legs which provided temporary relief. I'm not used to boots this tall so just some adjustments needed.

Overall though I was really happy. I do need to practice my stopping on these as they really do pickup speed. Once I get that down it'll be time to hit the trails and streets.
Old February 5th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #11
boamraces
extreme roller

Yes i noticed the tongue wanting to dig in to my shin and then realized the 2nd time i went out that they should be on the outside of the liner between the hard shell and the liner, not inside the liner. I have to re heatmold them like that to reform the tongue. I have not heard you can stick the whole skate in there. But with how stiff it is i wouldn't be suprised if you can. You definitely want to know how to stop really well with these boots on
Old February 6th, 2017, 12:34 AM   #12
4ofus

I made the same mistake with the tongue. I eventually put it on the outside as well. By then I already had a good blister on my shin but it's not that bad.

I'll probably pull the liner for heat molding if I even bother with it. The liner started confirming to my foot after a little while. Definitely got more comfortable.

As for stopping, it's always been a weakness of mine. Have relied on the traditional heal rubber stopper but I don't want to get one for these skates. I'm sticking to a controlled environment until I can tstop or powerslide effectively.
Old February 9th, 2017, 09:15 PM   #13
boamraces
extreme roller

So i got to try these at the rink last night. They were awesome to say the least. Very comfortable and very fast. Easy to maneuver and very grippy! I am indeed impressed
Old February 19th, 2017, 08:03 PM   #14
4ofus

Spent some time outside today since we have a break from the cold. Starting to notice the bolts coming loose on the wheels. Almost lost one completely but thankfully I caught it in time. Do these require locktite?
Old February 23rd, 2017, 03:38 AM   #15
boamraces
extreme roller

My wheels have not come loose at all
Old February 23rd, 2017, 11:20 PM   #16
esef

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthblader View Post
I've been eyeballing these on the inlinewarehouse site lately, but was concerned about being so high off the ground.
Same. The new frame on the 2017 Powerslide Swell Trinity 125's seem to solve the height thing, somewhat. Also, the frame has 3 contact points. So, it's way less flexy than the Megacruiser frame. I may get these.

esef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:43 AM   #17
4ofus

Actually glad to hear that. Hopefully mine just needed tightened due to normal break in. I picked up a portable skate tool to keep around so that I can check it periodically. Also going to need to rotate the wheels soon.
Old February 24th, 2017, 01:39 AM   #18
boamraces
extreme roller

Quote:
Originally Posted by esef View Post
Same. The new frame on the 2017 Powerslide Swell Trinity 125's seem to solve the height thing, somewhat. Also, the frame has 3 contact points. So, it's way less flexy than the Megacruiser frame. I may get these.
Flexy never came to mind when skating on the megacruiser pro frame. That looks like a nice skate though.
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #19
tomcatsk8

Powerslide Megacruiser 125 Pro owner too, my girlfriend and I.

First, we tried them at the shop and choose one size bigger. I have 260 mm size, my girlfiend 255, normally would be 40-41 for me and 39-40 for her, but the right sizes were too tight, so I choose 42, she choose 41.

We put the skates in our feet and went for a ride. First ride, 47 km. Skates were good and comfy, but seems too flat and thinking of later adjustment. First ride was ok, with some normal disconfort.

Second ride was about 25 km and was a pain. The skates killed our maleolas, both of us.
Back home, heat moulding, then after one week again skating.
Third ride was a pain, head moulding changed only the confort at the liner's "tongue". maleolas still killing.
So, we know why. We had some skating last 15 fears and experiences skates like Roxa Comp, Oxygen ATV, K2 Fatty Paris, Powerslide Cell, USD Realm, Rollerblade TRS Downtown, K2 Mod, Rollerblade Macroblade, Seba FR1, Powerslide Imperial. We know exactly what to do with the pain, that was the first reason for choosing 1 size bigger.
The ajustment began. First we took off insoles, and replace them for some Sidas Gel Pro, si the heel rised a few milimeters. Then we bought again 3 pairs of cheap Decathlon sport insoles. From them we made a gradual heel riser, put between shell and liner. First insole was left intact, then from secont and third insoles we cut heel risers, first bigger, then second smaller, four heel risers were added under the heel. We had now almost 2 cm of heel riser.
Next test ride, 45 km. Everything is ok. No heel pain, and the heel risers made the body stay sightly upfront, increasing mobility. Now we can ride them, test them. After almost 500 km of long rides, 40-50 km/day, we can get a decent review.

The skates are confortable. The liner is thick, so a size bigger is a must. The heel is too low, so you need to tweak them. Our insole addons was perfect for positioning and shock absorbing. The support from the boot is still very good.
The frame is rock solid. The wheels are confortable and fast in cold or warm weather, with a good grip. The wheels quality is poor, they started to squeak, i think the urethane is the problem.
Due to big wheels, i put the frames maximum on the inside, to avoid foot pronation, the trick worked well.
The bearings rolls good. I greased them with dry grease, Motul spray for motorcycles. They will be slower for first kilometers, after the grease starts to be more fluid the speed will resume to normal.
After a few rides we lost a buckle, i didn't paid attention to the screws. So, after you buy the skates you have to check every mobile part.
The skates have very good mobility. Wheels maintenance is piece of cake, just put the wheels from left skate to right skate and reverse, turning them 180 degrees. First left wheel became last right wheel and so, middle remain in center. After some kilometers a nice rockering will form, giving you extra mobility, without sacrificing too much speed and stability. Perfect for freeskating.
Longer rides are not a problem. Bad pavement is not that bad anymore. The city is shrinking with those skates, you will need a bigger city . You will not have a very fast start but you will maintain the speed efortless. After rockering you will have the mobility and will not loose the stability. You will be tall, you will see above people's heads . You will downhill backward like a charm.

When I first tried the skates at the shop, the first impression was that they were made for me. After tweaking them the impression is they are made for me, by me . This is the urban freeride peak. This is freeride.

Last week end we made a trip and took with us our ex-freeride skates. I have Seba FR1 skates, she have Powerslide Imperial , all 4x80 mm, with Gyro Martin Sloboda wheels. Well, after a few kilometers we know that our skates were home and we had kids skates or some kind of slalom skates .

The 3 x 125 mm is the ultimate freeride setup. It was like somebody somehow read my mind and put the result at work. It is a compromise between speed skates and slalom skates without compromise. You will have speed and slalom skates in your feet, same time. If you skate with people on 4x80 or 4x90 you will wonder why they ar ecomplaining about pavement, becaus your pavement will be almost allways good .
tomcatsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2017, 10:52 AM   #20
tomcatsk8

Some advice for comfort, applies on most of the skates:
Allways test them first. The manufacturers sometimes use the same shell for 2 sizes of skates, the only difference being the liner.
Some skates have thickest liners. My Seba FR1 size 40 (260 mm) were foot killers with original liner. After changing for Seba Balance Liner, everything was changed. I had some Rollerblade TRS Downtown skates, very cheap almost new second hand skates, size 42 (270 mm), very loose with original Rollerblade liner. After I reused the old Seba liner in them, they fit perfectly. The old Seba liner was very thick, too thick for Seba and perfect for Rollerblade.
If the skates kills your malleolas, rise the heel with diy shock absorbers. Do not use very soft absorbers, instead diy some shock absorbers from some cheap sport insoles, and rise the heels gradually till the skates will feel perfect. Too much rise will cause pain in the front region of your ankle, in the buckle region.
tomcatsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote