S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 24th, 2017, 10:58 PM   #21
AZSHOT

Thanks for explaining some differences. That helps me too. I know my wife is complaining about her XK-4 pivots squeeking, but doubt she notices much else wrong with them. My XK-4 I recently upgraded to the DA with the adjustable pivot. They seem about 20% more maneuverable than my SA ones with just the peg and rubber pivot bushing.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2017, 11:39 PM   #22
Luv2roll

Default Respect Due

Thanks Graysk8ter,

Totally giving respect to the gurus. Been reading the forums for a little while & I must admit that sometimes I speed to the answers of certain forum members first because of how informative their answers are {always}. I'm sure with that description that you know 2 of them are Doc sk8 & dvw. Was totally blown away that they took time to give feedback, Awesome!
Luv2roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 03:49 AM   #23
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Thanks for explaining some differences. That helps me too. I know my wife is complaining about her XK-4 pivots squeeking, but doubt she notices much else wrong with them.
Might need some new rubbers. They're cheap. If they're ok, a little dab of just about anything from vaseline to wheel bearing grease will make them quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
My XK-4 I recently upgraded to the DA with the adjustable pivot. They seem about 20% more maneuverable than my SA ones with just the peg and rubber pivot bushing.
Well depending on the size, mounting, and setup, I'd say you could go well beyond that. Make sure your pivots are adjusted correctly.
Old February 27th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #24
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
After you figure out what plates you think you want, find someone that can help you size them and then mount them properly. I have found over the years that big bucks thrown @ sk8 parts that are not properly sized, assembled and tuned yields poor results.
Couldn't have said it better. That said, I have skated both plates that were thrown out there for consideration. I'm a 10-15 degree skater, so the 45 degrees of the single-action XK-4 are not for me.

I have also snapped an XK-4 I half (that's right) when I was in my early 20's and weighed in at about 175 pounds. I did it on a speed skating start. I now roll a set of Snyder Advantages, which I purchased directly from Doc and I paid no where near the $425 list price. He also set them up with aftermarket better cushions and mounted them properly to the Bont Hybrid boots that I run.

So, a good plate is good to have but the mounting and set up is key. As one of the plate threads on the forum ultimately states, skate types are personal preference. What might be garbage to one person, could be gold to another.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2017, 08:10 PM   #25
Luv2roll

Default Thanks

Thanks Chuckboucher,

Good to Know Would luv to ask Doc sk8 about building a skate but haven't been in the forum but a short while. I was thinking that might be a friend only situation. Great idea tho
Old February 27th, 2017, 11:15 PM   #26
CHSC FLOOR GUARD
"East of the MISSISSIPPI"

Default 10 years with Doc Sk8

Luv2Roll, Im coming up on 10 years of Doc building my skates...now he also builds my sons skates...Have him build em
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #27
Luv2roll

Default Willing to try it!

Ok, CHSC Floor Guard....willing to give it a try. Doc did say the worst he could say was "no" when asked a question . Appreciate you letting me know he's been building your family skates for a while now. I actually have full confidence He's great at that but wasn't sure he would build for anyone. will send him a message soon & see how it goes.
Old February 28th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #28
bigred875

Default +1 for doc

Doc has gone above and beyond helping me get into a set of skates. Super nice guy and extremely knowledgeable is putting it lightly. I was going to ask him to build me some skate but we are the same size...he sold me a pair of his! I feel like I got the deal of the century...

fwiw - I learned as a teenager on "brick" style skates and Doc put me on some roll line variant click action plates. While it is taking a little to used to, I think they're great.

Last edited by bigred875; February 28th, 2017 at 03:32 AM.
bigred875 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2017, 03:31 AM   #29
fierocious1

Default I have learned a lot here @ SLF

And ideas and facts come from Doc. Most of the stuff I know is from personal testing, trial and error confirming of what lots of people already knew or handed down. That is the long way around to understanding. In your case, I know people that have had their skates built by doc. If it is done by doc, it will be done correctly.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 09:06 PM   #30
Dekindy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvw View Post
The Avanti skates a lot like a Snyder Super Deluxe and it's kin (World Dominator, Advantage, Grand American). The DA-45 in any form (Avenger, XK-4, Invader, Magnum, Cyclone) skates more like a Snyder Imperial et.al..
I already have a Reactor Neo and wonder how it and the Reactor Pro skate compare to the Avanti.

Last edited by Dekindy; April 7th, 2017 at 03:26 AM.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:29 AM   #31
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
I already have a Reactor Neo and wonder how it and the Reactor Pro skate compare to the Avanti.
The Reactors skate a lot like a Pro Line, because they're basically a knock-off. Good at going fast, and the action is quick reacting, but they don't turn very well. They aren't meant to.

The Avanti will have a little more turning capability, and a lot more range in the suspension owing to the height of the cushions, especially the lower. It doesn't run out of range as quickly as the Reactor does.
Old April 9th, 2017, 06:51 PM   #32
Dekindy

Quote:
The Reactors skate a lot like a Pro Line, because they're basically a knock-off. Good at going fast, and the action is quick reacting, but they don't turn very well. They aren't meant to.

The Avanti will have a little more turning capability, and a lot more range in the suspension owing to the height of the cushions, especially the lower. It doesn't run out of range as quickly as the Reactor does.
Read this in a previous thread, still valid?
Quote:
The Roll Lines are going to give you a good balance between the two disciplines and have far and away the best cushion options, but keep your checkbook handy as the cushions are expensive.

I'd also consider the Advantage. Very well made plate, very tunable. Takes the Sure Grip urethane cushions with a very simple modification, and those are not expensive. Turns infinitely better than a Pro Line, but is forgiving at speed.

The Pilot is also a good plate, but a distant third to the aforementioned. Cushions are above average actually.

I have a semi-custom Riedell 695 on order and thinking about a better turning plate than the Reactor, but not sure whether I want a DA45. Thinking about a Roll Line Variant M or Mistral, Pilot Falcon Plus, or Snyder Advantage which I believe are all 15-16 degree plates. Which would you recommend or should I take a chance on an Avenger? I am taking lessons from a very good skater who is teaching me the fundamentals of using my edges to turn and have been turning well on the Reactor, at least to my satisfaction so far. But other than the Thrust nylon plate have no other experience and that was mostly on hard cushions with the action tightened down way too much.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2017, 07:17 PM   #33
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Which would you recommend or should I take a chance on an Avenger? I am taking lessons from a very good skater who is teaching me the fundamentals of using my edges to turn and have been turning well on the Reactor, at least to my satisfaction so far. But other than the Thrust nylon plate have no other experience and that was mostly on hard cushions with the action tightened down way too much.
Well then just about anything is a step in the right direction.

I don't know how you skate or what you want to ultimately achieve, but with that in mind and all else being equal, I'd vote for the Advantage. Very well made, Snyder warranty and support, and very simple cushion options so you an tune yourself silly and not spend a fortune doing it. It's the modern version of the Snyder Super Deluxe, a staple of art skating for literally decades. I can't imagine you not being able to do whatever you want on it, and it can be set up to turn the way you want. If and when the day comes that it doesn't turn well enough for you, then we can talk about an Imperial.
Old April 10th, 2017, 08:48 PM   #34
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Read this in a previous thread, still valid?

I have a semi-custom Riedell 695 on order and thinking about a better turning plate than the Reactor, but not sure whether I want a DA45. Thinking about a Roll Line Variant M or Mistral,

If you get a Variant, upgrade to the urethane cushions. Then it's pretty close to a Mistral w/o the annoying click action.

Pilot Falcon Plus,

Reasonable choice, but I'm not 100% impressed with the cushion options.

or Snyder Advantage which I believe are all 15-16 degree plates.

Pretty much.

Which would you recommend or should I take a chance on an Avenger?

I don't much consider getting on an Avenger taking a chance. I am having fun on my new RD Axis plate however....

I am taking lessons from a very good skater who is teaching me the fundamentals of using my edges to turn and have been turning well on the Reactor, at least to my satisfaction so far. But other than the Thrust nylon plate have no other experience and that was mostly on hard cushions with the action tightened down way too much.

Once again I will go over some confusion in the whole turning thing. Any plate worth owning can be tuned to turn EASILY. Stiffer cushions and / or tighter adjustment make them hard to turn. Softer cushions and / or looser adjustment make them easier to turn.

On the other hand, geometry determines how quickly a plate turns. Quickly is a mechanical thing equated to how much a plate turns vs how far it is tilted. This is where all the jibber jabber about stability comes in. Set your sk8s on the floor...Do ya see the moving...at all?? Mine don't and I run some of the most "UNSTABLE" sk8s out there. It's all in the adjustment of the action and the ability of the sk8r. Remember, quad sk8s do exactly what you tell them to do (assuming the alignment is correct.) so don't blame the sk8s if they go crazy @ speed... Just adjust the action until you can control them, then start backing them off 1/4 to 1/2 turn every 3 or 4 sessions.

One other point. Tight slow actions DO NOT help grip.. The sooner the outside wheels lift, the quicker grip vanishes.
Old April 12th, 2017, 10:04 PM   #35
Luv2roll

Default Must be learning

Doc Sk8, that made sense to me. Finally I understand something
Also, got the Apollo plate recently to try out a nylon plate for lightness before moving on to a metal plate. I tried to roll on it the other night & turned back into a real beginner. Couldn't turn well, couldn't hold the eagle spread at all. I got a few laughs from friends. I was also trying much bigger wheel than I'm use to (59X38mm) instead of (57X30).Didn't realize how much of a difference it would make. Had fun tho & made sure i brought along my usual skates. Some in the forum say they have multiple pairs of skates so I wanted to try something different & inexpensive???. so before I totally give up on my new project & before I bug Doc about building a skate, I would like to try my hand at changing the cushions & making adjustments to the plate. (Trying to learn) My question is how do you know what urethane cushion to start with ?
Old April 12th, 2017, 10:10 PM   #36
Luv2roll

Forgot to mention I also got some standard bearings to try out the idea that the expensive bearings are just expensive. I didn't roll as far on them as the bone swiss bearings but maybe I have to warm them up some. I only stayed on them for 40 minutes.