S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 24th, 2017, 03:58 PM   #41
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default So, you got it sorted??

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian5249 View Post
DISREGARD I FOUND OUT...I searched but didn't find anything but how do you change out the cushions? I assum you have to take off the wheels along with the cushion housing(don't know what it's called)
The new platinum trucks do not require wheel removal to change the butterfly cushions. Depending on your wheels, the earlier trucks may require wheel removal to pull the little pins.
Old March 26th, 2017, 01:22 AM   #42
brian5249

Okay finally got to test the new skates with the Arius and I'm not sure what the difference in the the Arius and platinum. But I can say that the light blue cushions are way to loose about caused me to fall a few times when turning haha. The red cushions worked good for me I just ordered the hot pink to try those. I skate for fun and go with my girlfriend and her son on the weekends.
Old March 26th, 2017, 06:22 AM   #43
snailmont5oh

Default Doc, do I need to leave the little pins in there?

Will the butterfly cushions try to leave if I pull them out on an original Arius truck? I mean, it doesn't *look* like they would...
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2017, 09:30 PM   #44
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Hmm

The pins were put in the first gen trucks for a reason.. I never tried sk8ing those without the pins. As a side note some sk8rs that had the original adjustable tricks had issues with the butterflys coming out. I would proceed w/ caution.

Old April 12th, 2017, 05:34 PM   #45
Trixton

Arius v2 Platinum Update/Review:

Wikko boots - Arius Platinum v2 plates - 71A OG (v1) cushions - Royal Assassin 92A - Sure Grip A1 axles - Doc Sk8 mounted (thanks Doc!)

Finally have enough time on these and tested enough cushions to be able to properly assess them. I use these as session skates, but they could be used for derby or speed as they are quite light and have great power transfer.

The SG A1 axles are so that I can use the Bont/Aussie Scott Royal Assassins with the Arius; otherwise, the bearing would hang on the threads causing durability issues among other things. They are working very well for that purpose, even though the tolerances are not perfect, there is no noticeable play while skating.

Here's a list of the cushions I tried out:

v2 split (71A, 74A, 77A) - These cushions are interesting. There is little difference between the split cushions at all. The resistance ramp up profile of the Arius trucks with v2 cushions ramps up so fast that they all basically act the same with only minor variations in how quickly they bind in a turn. This is not ideal for going forward or backward, but is quite good for achieving easy stability. The Arius is also very reactive with these cushions within the pre-bind action. Interestingly, this type of resistance ramp up profile is actually not bad for side surfing very fast, as some of us do around here. After using the 71A split cushions for about 2 weeks, skating probably 7 different times, I began to develop knee and hip ROM (Range-of-Motion) problems due to the sharp resistance ramp up. In short, it makes it very rough on the joints. So those are sitting on the sidelines now.

v1 OG (71A, 74A, 80A) - The nice thing about using the OG cushions in the v2 trucks is that they have a resistance ramp up profile that is not as steep nor as sharp as the split cushions. I first tried the 71A cushions. These skate very similar to a traditional kingpin setup, but the axle moves mostly in one plane which goes vertically through the axle. They also tend to bind if you manage to get most of your weight on one wheel and attempt to go off axis; it will wobble quite violently. When I tried the 80A and then 74A, I noticed something interesing. They almost skate more similar to the split cushions than the 71A of the same type. I believe this is because there is a critical threshold for the hardness of the cushion before the resistance ramp up profile begins to encroach in the "normal skating range". See graphs below...

This is how it works in my head:

split cushions resistance ramp up profile

71A split cushions

Regardless of the cushion, there is eventually a "wall" that you will hit with each one (where the blue curve goes vertical). The 71A OG simply extends that wall just to the edge of the "normal skating range" thus allowing for a somewhat linear response within that range. This "wall" actually has some benefits while side surfing if your amplitude is great enough during a stride because it allows your action to quickly resist and rebound back to neutral.

I believe the Arius cushions are less affected by the weight of the skater than traditional kingpin setups because there is nowhere for the urethane to go. If you were to map out an equation for how the Arius cushion reacts inside truck with a weight from above (the skater), I would bet if you take the limit as mass gets very large, you would notice that it doesn't affect the outcome as much as mass would affect traditional setups. Thus, cushion hardness is not chosen by the weight of the skater, but instead by the resistance ramp up profile alone. That's my theory anyway...

So what's the scoop? Do I dislike the Arius? No, I think it's a great plate ... As long as you are using the 71A OG cushion in the v2 trucks, as stated earlier in this thread.
Pros: very light, great power transfer, very responsive, very good stability at speed
Neutral (could be good or bad): axle moves in (mostly) one plane
Cons: Binds a little too early for optimal stride (I'd love to skate some softer OG cushions between 60-70A)

tl;dr SG A1 axles for compatibility with Royal Assassins, 71A OG cushions for near-optimal resistance ramp up profile, Arius "wall" can be useful in some situations such as side surfing
Trixton is offline   Reply With Quote