S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old April 8th, 2017, 01:42 PM   #1
spdkls

Default Bearing creaking

So I have a set of NOS Suregrip interceptors. My Bones bearings a creaking a lot. They do not do this in my older Cannibals or Wicked Lips.

Any fixes for this?
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2017, 01:46 PM   #2
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
So I have a set of NOS Suregrip interceptors. My Bones bearings a creaking a lot. They do not do this in my older Cannibals or Wicked Lips.

Any fixes for this?
How is the bearing fit? Most creaking I have heard comes from the bearing bores, not the bearings.

Old April 8th, 2017, 04:19 PM   #3
spdkls

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
How is the bearing fit? Most creaking I have heard comes from the bearing bores, not the bearings.

That's what I meant. The bearing is creaking in the bore of the wheel. The bearings are old. Like OG Bones from 1990 old, but they are still in mint condition and roll like new, and also have no play in them. I never noticed it till the music shut off one night at session.
spdkls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #4
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Sounds like there's just a little discrepancy in the outside dimension of the bearing versus the inside dimension of the bearing seat in the hub. The result is that the hub and the outer bearing race aren't turning together and you get a little creak.

Sometimes you can stop it with a little dab of blue threadlocker on the outside of the bearing before you press it in. Won't give you a problem getting it out, but may take up the excess space and quiet it down.
Old April 9th, 2017, 04:24 AM   #5
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdkls View Post
That's what I meant. The bearing is creaking in the bore of the wheel. The bearings are old. Like OG Bones from 1990 old, but they are still in mint condition and roll like new, and also have no play in them. I never noticed it till the music shut off one night at session.
2 potential problems usually, axles in bad alignment* or the bearing bores in the hubs are out of alignment- in some wheels this causes the bearing to wallow around in the bore and cause a "clicking" noise.

*Bad alignments such as 2 wheels having different bearing seat widths. Which the wider spread could push the outside bearing into a small dip by the threads. This is a problem on Arius trucks for example. This makes the inner bearing sit a bit cockeyed and can cause the creaking you speak of.