S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 27th, 2017, 03:44 AM   #1
AZSHOT

Default Adjusting old Snyder Imperial trucks

I just found an old pair of skates with Snyder Imperials, and want to adjust them. They were very loose. My experience is with Sure-grip XK-4s, and just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Is the correct procedure to:

1. loosen the lock nut that is below the jump bar, counter clockwise (away from the hanger).
2. Adjust the Allen wrench bolt to make contact with the cushion as desired.
3. Tighten the lock nut back, clockwise.

I ask because the jump bar was a little rattley, and I want to make sure I don't have the jump bar misconfigured.

Last edited by AZSHOT; March 28th, 2017 at 02:09 AM.
AZSHOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:40 AM   #2
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Loose the rubber cushions

Your procedure sounds correct. But the skate can be improved vastly by tossing the rubber cushions and replacing them with Sure-Grip super cushions.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sure-Grip-Su...4AAOSwnHZYdTtd

Their hardness is indicated by the color:
- Blue - 72A
- Yellow - 79A
- Purple - 85A
- Red - 93A

I started with red, went to purple, then to yellow, and now run on blue(almost all). You should probably start with purple. But if you like the loose action of the trucks, go with the blue. The softer the cushions, the more truck action. Unless you run a really loose truck, starting with the blue cushions would probably be a bad choice.

I run blue/blue on the front trucks and yellow/blue on the rear trucks. Reason??? I don't like the rear trucks as loose as the front. If you decide to run a mix (as I do), place the harder cushion on top (closest to the plate).

Adjustment with the Super cushion is simple. Tighten king pin bolt (hex wrench) to snug and then lock down with the lock nuts. Let the cushions do all the work.

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 02:42 PM   #3
AZSHOT

Thanks, I figured it was a no brainer, but thought I'd show the plates. Oh, and these Rannalli wheels, I can't make out the red letters on the side. They are 29mm by 55mm. The stepped rim doesn't look like the 300S, and the red logo looks kind of like an S and 8, but very hard to read. Anyone know what they are? They're coming off, too hard.
Old March 27th, 2017, 04:20 PM   #4
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZSHOT View Post
Thanks, I figured it was a no brainer, but thought I'd show the plates. Oh, and these Rannalli wheels, I can't make out the red letters on the side. They are 29mm by 55mm. The stepped rim doesn't look like the 300S, and the red logo looks kind of like an S and 8, but very hard to read. Anyone know what they are? They're coming off, too hard.
Yup. ditch the rubber for urethane. I also ended on blue cushions. Make sure the jump bar sets on the lip before tightening it back together. It might take a little force to pop it into place. It looks correct in the pictures.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #5
wyodinosaur

I also have Imperial plates and I totally agree with those who advocate the urethane cushions. (I use the blue ones too).

You might have to adjust the pivot pins to accommodate them however.
wyodinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 06:28 PM   #6
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Exclamation

One should always unlock the pivot pins and re adjust them when changing cushions, especially since the SG Super barrels are taller than the Snyder parts.
Old March 27th, 2017, 06:50 PM   #7
AZSHOT

Thanks all.
Old March 28th, 2017, 12:54 AM   #8
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Thanks all.
Wait,ask about adjusting the pivot pin.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 01:56 AM   #9
AZSHOT

Why should I? I have already learned how to do that.

Or do you know there is some trick to Snyders' pivot pin, compared to Sure-Grip? I don't see what point you are trying to make.
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #10
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:

I ask because the jump bar was a little rattley, and I want to make sure I don't have the jump bar misconfigured.
I was recently working on a pair of Snyders. No matter what I did, the jump bar was wobbly. Whoever cobbled the plates together used the wrong cushion retainers. The lock nut on the hanger has a nose on it that sticks through the jump bar and into the retainer. The holes in the retainers were too small and the retainers were resting on the nose of the lock nut and not seated against the jump bar. Good times for sure.

In the past, I have used Sure Grip urethane cushions. The retainer next to the jump bar is not used due to the extra height of the cushion. Also, the cushion will need a small counter bore to allow for the lock nut to protrude into it slightly.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #11
AZSHOT

Thanks, I'm hoping these will fit my 25 year old son, who has been renting the brown rink skates, but is pretty good. I kept telling him when he gets some good speed skates and 45 degree plates he'd be amazed. Got the latter anyway. We'll know Friday if they fit, then we can see if he can handle softer cushions. I tightened the trucks, one was still pretty loose, and the rattly jump bar went away.

Right now, the black rubber feels pretty pliable, and the trucks move through a pretty good range, so he may feel wobbly the first half hour or so. We'll see!

PS: on my XK-4 DA 45s I've been using Yellow urethane for a few weeks, they're nice for me. These Hyde Snyders are 11.5, way big for me.

Old March 29th, 2017, 01:36 AM   #12
GraySk8ter
73 (not dead yet)

Default Great buy

It appears (based on your photos) that you obtained a really nice pair of skates. Your son should do well with them.

No matter how old your children become, they are still your kids. You worry and try to help them when possible. Nice job Mom!

Keep rollin
GraySk8ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #13
fierocious1

+1 awesome looking skates!
fierocious1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #14
AZSHOT

Thanks, that's my wife holding them. They are heavy as bricks though. The soles are about twice as thick as Riedells, and all that upper leather and heavy plates, my son is gonna know he's wearing something!
Old March 30th, 2017, 12:30 AM   #15
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Why should I? I have already learned how to do that.

Or do you know there is some trick to Snyders' pivot pin, compared to Sure-Grip? I don't see what point you are trying to make.
Ah ha, looking at past posts I find this tidbit, posted by me to you

With the skate upside down, remove the KP adjusting nut and lower cushion, now you can see how the hanger is centered over the upper cushion and king pin, the pivot pin can be adjusted to perfectly center the hanger on the cushion and the king pin, I like to check the position by pushing down on the truck assembly to make it seem like I'm on the skates, if the cushion compresses when weighted it will effect the position of the hanger in relation to the cushion and king pin.
It's a simple adjustment, use a quality tool to turn the pivot pin, don't strip it.

Mybad, my point was before you pointed out that the pivot pin had already been thoroughly hashed out, was that the adjustment of the KP was as important as the adjustment of the pivot pin, just making conversation on a conversation forum
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2017, 04:57 PM   #16
AZSHOT

My son tried them last night. Said "I think that was the best and most productive time I've ever had skating." He was learning to do smooth backwards skating and is getting it down. And noticed how much faster hard speed wheels are compared to the rental junk. They fit him pretty good.
Old March 31st, 2017, 05:05 PM   #17
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Ah ha, looking at past posts I find this tidbit, posted by me to you

With the skate upside down, remove the KP adjusting nut and lower cushion, now you can see how the hanger is centered over the upper cushion and king pin, the pivot pin can be adjusted to perfectly center the hanger on the cushion and the king pin, I like to check the position by pushing down on the truck assembly to make it seem like I'm on the skates, if the cushion compresses when weighted it will effect the position of the hanger in relation to the cushion and king pin.
It's a simple adjustment, use a quality tool to turn the pivot pin, don't strip it.

Mybad, my point was before you pointed out that the pivot pin had already been thoroughly hashed out, was that the adjustment of the KP was as important as the adjustment of the pivot pin, just making conversation on a conversation forum
This setup does not have a king pin adjusting nut. The king pin is a bolt that threads into the hanger. The nut on top of the jump bar locks the king pin in place.

IMO, adjust the pivot pin with the cushions preloaded as you would like to skate on them.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote