S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old May 14th, 2011, 03:15 AM   #181
7Skaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Lauer View Post
I am going to come up to skate the Saturday session.

Does Holland Sylvania Road south of Central ring a bell with you for the Ohio Skate North rink that closed. I think this rink was originally opened as Central RollArena. After it was closed I believe it was sold to Yark Automotive Group, the Oldsmobile dealership.
YEA!

And yes, Holland-Sylvania, literally JUST south of Central. You can see the new Urban Fitness Center a lightyear away, across from the Wal-Mart out there (across the street). I never did get a chance to skate that one, but I have/had been to 3 of the Ohio Skates before they closed (really loved that little rink in Findly).

I had a hard time at that rink, though. I couldn't bring my best friend, so I ended up going with my cousins...and they spent 95% of the time on the little rink, trying to skate, while I was flying around the main rink. Hard to talk going that fast anyway, but some company would have been nice during the slower songs. LOL
7Skaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2013, 10:56 PM   #182
xplorr94248
xplorr94248

Default Rinks I remember: 1 in Gulfport Mississippi and one in Edgewood MD

When I was in the service waiting to go to Viet Nam circa, 1966 a friend said "let's go roller skating" I said something about not even knowing that there was a rink in town(Gulfport) and he said yes it's a good floor and the skates are taken care of well. So we went to the rink and i do remember that the floor was an old unfinished wood one but in super condition and clean. Nothing special about the rink just that I spent a bunch of time there skating.. I had ice skated but this was my first on wheels. The next rink was in Edgewood Md... The Starlight Arena. It had a full floating floor and kept in top notch shape. I moved to Edgewood after buying a house in 1971. My wife was a pistola always shooting at something... we had married before I left for Viet Nam and she was instantly with child....So when I got back we had to find a place to live and there was some affordable housing in Edgewood.. but I digress...The Arena was a nice metal building painted blue outside and pretty much white on the inside except carpet and the food area. It was run by a strange (just my take) guy and owner who, I think ate, slept and loved skating. There were dance classes and figure classes they kept skates in 1st rate shape and sold skates as well.. The dance and figure classes produced some first rate skaters and a few won competitions. Beyond that, there were several shows put on each year...by the classes and anyone that he though were good enough...These shows were produced by him and played both there and other rinks.... This is the place where I bought my first pair of skates, which I still have and am revamping right now so that I can start skating again in Asheoro, NC. Wooden floor now but I wont know until I've skated on it.. Probably will take some time to get my feet back on my wheels but maybe the story will continue.. I remember the rink in Edgewood so vividly but I can't remember the names of the people... Particularly the owner operator.... He was kind of short, hair messed up all the time, brown hair or dark dirty blond..... and the floor was taken care of meticulously. Dust mopped during short breaks... wished all rinks were taken as good care as this one was ...

Last edited by xplorr94248; December 12th, 2013 at 11:02 PM. Reason: Adding a thought; Both of these rinks are gone now... I can find no info on them or when they closed.
xplorr94248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2013, 07:15 PM   #183
LP-Steve

Default Rinks I skated at.....

Hagies (spelling) - Harrisburg Pa. 1960's-1970's
knoebels Grove - Elysburg Pa. 1970's-1980/1
Lennards Skate-o-Rama - Duncannon Pa. 1980/1
Super Skating Center - Ft. Lauderdale Fl. 1980-1985ish
Skaters Choice - Pompano Fl. 1980-1985ish
Roll Away Skate Way - Davie Fl. 1980-1985ish
??Name?? - Lake Placid Fl. 2001-2002ish
Astro Skating Center - Bradenton Fl. (Currently)
Reflections - Kissimmee Fl. (Currently)
LP-Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #184
Slowmo63

Default Pa.rinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LP-Steve View Post
Hagies (spelling) - Harrisburg Pa. 1960's-1970's
knoebels Grove - Elysburg Pa. 1970's-1980/1
Lennards Skate-o-Rama - Duncannon Pa. 1980/1
Super Skating Center - Ft. Lauderdale Fl. 1980-1985ish
Skaters Choice - Pompano Fl. 1980-1985ish
Roll Away Skate Way - Davie Fl. 1980-1985ish
??Name?? - Lake Placid Fl. 2001-2002ish
Astro Skating Center - Bradenton Fl. (Currently)
Reflections - Kissimmee Fl. (Currently)
Hagys is still going, was just there a few weeks ago.Lennards closed sometime in the 80's and is now lennards oak world. They sell oak furniture there. Not sure if there is still a rink at knobels grove. Their website does not mention it.

Last edited by Slowmo63; December 17th, 2013 at 05:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Slowmo63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 09:46 PM   #185
princessfluffhead

We lost this one a couple of years ago in Fort Lauderdale. Gold Coast Roller Rink. It had been open since the 50s and operated continuously until 2011.
Lots of great memories there.

https://www.facebook.com/GoldCoastRollerRink
princessfluffhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2013, 10:08 PM   #186
xplorr94248
xplorr94248

Default So what's really happenig to skating (maybe bit off topic)

Not having been around but doing massive research for the past month or so tells me I was part right in some of what I've said about skating getting very expensive.. Not just for skaters ... i.e., skate prices but also skating in general. 1. Outside Skating .. why pay to go to a rink when you can get a pair of cheap skates and skate outside. Makes it easy to skate anytime you want for as long as you want. Why still have sessions in rinks unless you are one of the luck one who live near a rink that is innovative and keeps people coming in, in numbers.. Only reason for sessions is so clubs have time or you need space because you have too many skaters at any given time. (2.) Competitive Skating Events Attendance:... I was informed that national and even world events held in the USA where there were 3000 people before it now like 300. What coverage does skating get in the media now.. Why aren't the manufactures pushing to get coverage on ESPN or ABC Sports and the like. Other countries are getting coverage and skating is doing well in those places. ..To get competitive skaters skaters need to be able to buy their skates and once they get recognized the manufactures need to pick up the slack to help these people compete. (3.) Rink owners don't seem to care like they used to: Owners get together with suppliers and manufacturers and promote skating as a healthy way to lose weight and stay out of the hospital with heart disease, diabetes, stroke... and numerous other ailments. Promote promote promote and if you are tired of the rink get attendance up and sell the business... Promote CLUBS Do LESSONS TEACH

I'm sure there are more points I could make but these 3 just might help keep rinks open and even get a few built. Skating is not dead all over it's just sick in the states... Maybe if we had more constructive places for kid to go and grow up we wouldn't have as many problems like drugs etc.. It really has to start with rink owners and manufacturers working together to promote rinks, championship events and get some coverage on the tube...

Sorry but didn't know where else to put it...
Ray
xplorr94248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2014, 09:49 PM   #187
xbeezer

More Rinks closed in the Atlanta, GA area. As in addition to the ones mentioned in an earlier post.

Playland, Buford Hwy
Golden Glide
Stone Skate, Now All American Skate Center
Medlock
Cumming Skate Center

Plantation that was mentioned earlier was always my home Rink as I workerd there from 76 until about 80.
xbeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 01:03 AM   #188
Dennis Lauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplorr94248 View Post
Not having been around but doing massive research for the past month or so tells me I was part right in some of what I've said about skating getting very expensive.. Not just for skaters ... i.e., skate prices but also skating in general. 1. Outside Skating .. why pay to go to a rink when you can get a pair of cheap skates and skate outside. Makes it easy to skate anytime you want for as long as you want. Why still have sessions in rinks unless you are one of the luck one who live near a rink that is innovative and keeps people coming in, in numbers.. Only reason for sessions is so clubs have time or you need space because you have too many skaters at any given time. (2.) Competitive Skating Events Attendance:... I was informed that national and even world events held in the USA where there were 3000 people before it now like 300. What coverage does skating get in the media now.. Why aren't the manufactures pushing to get coverage on ESPN or ABC Sports and the like. Other countries are getting coverage and skating is doing well in those places. ..To get competitive skaters skaters need to be able to buy their skates and once they get recognized the manufactures need to pick up the slack to help these people compete. (3.) Rink owners don't seem to care like they used to: Owners get together with suppliers and manufacturers and promote skating as a healthy way to lose weight and stay out of the hospital with heart disease, diabetes, stroke... and numerous other ailments. Promote promote promote and if you are tired of the rink get attendance up and sell the business... Promote CLUBS Do LESSONS TEACH

I'm sure there are more points I could make but these 3 just might help keep rinks open and even get a few built. Skating is not dead all over it's just sick in the states... Maybe if we had more constructive places for kid to go and grow up we wouldn't have as many problems like drugs etc.. It really has to start with rink owners and manufacturers working together to promote rinks, championship events and get some coverage on the tube...

Sorry but didn't know where else to put it...
Ray
Your comments in #2 attendance at competitions and #3 Rink Owners not caring about competitive skating appears unfortunately to be all to true.

RSA International the organization representing rink owners and USARS the governing body of competitive rollerskating must bear much of the blame for not trying harder to keep competitive skating alive and viable.

Competitive skating and class lessons can help build a larger customer base for rinks helping them become more profitable without resorting to non-skating activities (rock climbing walls, bounce houses, teen dance clubs etc).
Dennis Lauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27th, 2014, 02:30 AM   #189
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Default Venting

Looking around at our other countries that make our artsy skaters seem like some what unsung hero's...These countries make amends to the families and the areas for which they live, to that of the country they represent. Many people turn out to see their family members have the spot light on them, and local news coverage. They have sponsors to hear and see them through. The other thing that seems to not touch them is the generation of filth that has manifested here in the states. I went to a show to see a young girl that looked like a hooker art skating to "Hot Stuff" this is song that is about sex. Personally, this isn't too appealing for those that wish to watch those years and endurance and a upper level of skating. My other comparative is the matter that too many art skaters here in USA are spread too thin. I have not seen too often Italian skaters making their entrances in too different areas of many events. Sure there is a matter of making your foundation, for which will bring you forward, but it is not then upon JWC and WC. They stick to their best of favorite area of art skating. Here in the states, we"ve been destroyed!
We need more plans for the upcoming years, so our "futureskaters" can make their way to the top.

Guess, computer games, and bop music with shake your arse off is the finest we've got Oh, let's not forget those that have made their ways to our government roles, for their roles in the increase lung cancer for those that need to smoke medical marijuana.

The others that skate are a income for the rinks, which I can not blame the operators for wanting.
Old January 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM   #190
Fancy-Kerrigan

Default Coral Springs Roller Skating Center - FL

Skated here from about 1988 - sometime in the 90's. Beautiful floor.....although I didn't really appreciate it at the time. Lots of dates and good times were had there. The owner's wife, Mrs. Grabel (sp?) died and he sold the space to Pep Boys.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Coral...80103265360723
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2016, 05:20 AM   #191
Gee

Sports 9 Skateway in Morganville, New Jersey. It was were I got introduced to dance skating and took an interest in it.

Carolier Roller Rink in North Brunswick, New Jersey. It was the first club I skated at. I often got to see Scott Cohen train with Joe Fernando.

Last edited by Gee; September 2nd, 2016 at 09:18 PM.
Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2017, 10:15 PM   #192
LambChopper

My mom remembers a rink on Tybee Island (Georgia, USA) from the fifties. It was a wooden outdoor rink at the end of a long boardwalk that jutted out into the ocean. I think it was destroyed in a hurricane rather than closing.

I can't imagine keeping the floor nice with the salt spray!
LambChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2017, 06:28 AM   #193
snailmont5oh

I skated at Sir Skate of Altoona (PA) from about '88 to '96. I quit because my 260 lbs kept braking axles trying to shag. Sir Skate closed in about 2000. The fella that bought it wanted to build an ice rink, and he didn't want the competition.

Skating was definitely in my blood. My great grandfather owned a rink in or near Williamsport, PA before/during/after WW II. My grandparents owned a rink in Mansfield, PA through the late '50s and '60s. I skated in that rink once (after they sold it) in the late '70s, but it turned into a feed store in the early '80s. My parents met at my mom's parents' rink, my wife's parents met at Lakemont Park's roller rink (where my father-in-law was a floor guard), and I met my wife at Sir Skate (where my brother was a floor guard).

I just got back into skating a month ago. So far, I've been going to Moon Glo II, in Bedford, PA.
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2017, 05:22 AM   #194
PRFunky

Default Don't know if anybody's interested in this page but...

http://susan-a-miller.com/skate/matchbooks.html

Old matchbooks from skating places ~ I know "smoking" yuck-yuck-yuck but I'm too old to quit... smoking OR roller skating!!
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote