S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 9th, 2017, 08:38 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Default Where do you guys skate outside? Show pics!

This is the Walkway over the Hudson. It's where I skate the most.
It's about 200ft (or 60m) high and about 1.3miles (or 2 kilometers) across. The entire rail trail is about 15miles (24kilometers) long. It's a nice way to spend your time.

Where do you guys skate?
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12th, 2017, 08:44 PM   #2
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Where do you guys skate?
Sooo many places! I will add them one by one over time in order to bump this thread for a while. You should do the same. I believe that in the USA there are so few people skating outdoors anymore (in places worth taking photos) that this thread will be contributed to by just a handful of skaters.

Good news, just about everyone has a camera (phone) in their pocket these days so no excuses for not snapping a few shots here and there.

I will post something soon, then maybe every week or two after that.

Nice post! Hope I am wrong about the low numbers of adventurous outdoor skaters. Hopefully skaters outside the US will help out.
Old February 13th, 2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

We went to Virginia Beach this past summer for vacation because it had a great board walk to skate on (and was relatively close to home). I think it was about 3 or 4 miles long. It was fun. We also checked out a rink called Sk8 Dojo and met a lot of new friends.
Old February 14th, 2017, 02:08 AM   #4
BigFoot

Oicusk82huh, yeah idusk82 and the Hudson Walkway is sweet primo exhilaration.

The dance circle at Venice Beach, Los Angeles. Best skating is in the morning before the sightseeing buses and tourists arrive.

Venice Beach Boardwalk is a fun skate, too.

Venice Skate Park. It is right on the sand with ocean views.

The slabs at Venice Beach on a dreamy morning.

More slabs, Venice Beach.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 02:38 AM   #5
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Venice/Santa Monica is a tough act to follow for sure, and I have spent many, many days skating there from Will Rogers State Beach to Torrence and back on the bike path. Can't really beat it, except.....

Just about an hour from my home in New Orleans we have beach paths that are mostly deserted, especially on weekdays. Unlike Venice where it's early AM, or a traffic jam, the Mississippi beaches have pure WHITE sand and few people. Sure, I like people-watching too, but sometimes I just want to floor it and open up all eight cylinders.

Paved path from Gulfport, MS toward Biloxi (looking East). Path is roughly 10 miles long.

Very nice but relatively short (1+ mile) in Ocean Springs, Mississippi but this one leads to the big Biloxi Bay Bridge which is about 2 miles with a 90 foot hump to skate over.

And this path is 5 miles in length between Bay St. Louis and Waveland, Mississippi. This path also leads to a big bridge that crosses the Bay for a nice 2 mile skate and near 100 ft hump to skate over.

Biloxi is 90 miles from my house, Gulfport is about 70 miles, and Bay St. Louis roughly 50 miles. Awesome skating!
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:45 AM   #6
BigFoot

Here is another spot that I skate. This is the Civic Center in downtown Los Angeles. Notice our iconic City Hall on the left. This area is only about three blocks long, but it is a nice little course. Smooth, wide concrete sidewalks, downhill runs, and even skate-able asphalt streets. It's extremely crowded on weekdays and somewhat crowed on Saturdays, so this is mostly a Sunday only skate. It's almost deserted on Sunday mornings.

This place talks to me, and it says, "put on some Rolling Stones and start shredding." Hard to tell from the photo, but this has a slight downhill slope. I can easily reach 12 M.P.H. through here. There are also two concrete walkways that intersect this spot on the right side. Both of them ramp uphill and connect to a park on the other side of the building.

Skate-able Main St.

Shaded downhill slalom course. Zoom-zoom. A similar slalom course is on the other side of this building. At the bottom of the hill, the two sides are connected by yet another smooth, wide concrete sidewalk. Yes, there's lots of fun to be had at the Civic Center on Sundays.
Old February 14th, 2017, 05:50 AM   #7
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Wow, that path from Gulfport looks like heaven!!! I think I could die there. Thank you so much for sharing. The best thing about growing up so far has been the ability to support my habit, skate as often as I want to and being able to travel just to skate. Skating is like fresh air for the soul.

I'm posting a panoramic of South Beach in Miami. That's fun to skate too, but more along the lines of the "Venice Beach vibe." Really I just prefer a more quiet scene. But since we're sharing...

Old February 14th, 2017, 01:00 PM   #8
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
...Downtown Los Angeles....It's almost deserted on Sunday mornings.
L.A. on Sunday morning? Count me in!

I have skated many large American cities on Sunday mornings. This is my Cali skate buddy Jeanie who never skated Downtown L.A. before she met me, even though she lived in Santa Monica her whole life. Never even thought of it. We blazed all over the place like we were in some science fiction apocalypse movie.

Old February 14th, 2017, 01:22 PM   #9
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Skating is like fresh air for the soul.
Ha! I always say skating out in the country on a quiet path "Cleanses my soul".

Quote:
...Really I just prefer a more quiet scene....
As much as I like people watching I most often seek out quiet places to skate without hordes of "meat pylons" to dodge all day. This is my favorite partly because it is often shaded and sheltered from wind for the most part - and 27 miles long so even on a crowded weekend day the traffic is so spread out that it still seems deserted. Weekdays...I could skate naked out here.

Tammany Trace Rail-Trail in South Louisiana - about a 45 minute drive from my house.

Old February 15th, 2017, 08:11 AM   #10
intamin

Mission Bay, San Diego. Crazy winds that day but I still averaged 10 mph over an hour of skating (10 miles long, naturally ).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwwBxU2_GF8
intamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:13 AM   #11
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

These two places are just minutes apart on skates in New Orleans, USA.

The Audubon Park Fitness Path is a 1.8 miles per lap, shaded, and protected from the wind. Downside: Tree debris and slow to dry after a rain. Tarmac is brand NEW and flawless!

The M.R.T. (Mississippi River Trail) is on top of the Mississippi River Levee spanning from New Orleans to LaPlace, LA and is about 25 miles one-way. Completely exposed to wind and sun, this path is better skated in the Winter months on calm days.

The Audubon Zoo parking lot is the connector between these two very popular paths.
Old February 17th, 2017, 08:38 PM   #12
darthblader

Wow! This is probably the most inspirational thread on SL so far! Beautiful pics, y'all! I'll definitely be posting some; next time I roll I'll snap a few! Now I have another reason to seek out new spots!
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2017, 03:42 AM   #13
wired

Default Skatin' place

On Sundays in SF's Golden Gate Park they have been rolling since 1976. I got to visit and it was great!

More photos along with some from the Church of 8 Wheels can be found CLICK HERE.

Old February 19th, 2017, 01:20 AM   #14
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
On Sundays in SF's Golden Gate Park they have been rolling since 1976. I got to visit and it was great!
Ironically, my visit to this park was during a skate vacation of the West Coast. Flew into Seattle and thanks to AmTrak skated Seattle, Portland, Santa Barbara, San Francisco, San Jose, and the L.A. area - at the beaches mostly. The irony....some friends in San Jose were putting me up at their house for a few days and the day we went to the park....I was ON FOOT with them and no skates. Heart breaking.

Anyway...I got to watch for a while. Jealous that my city is so small and backwards that we just don't have enough population interested in skating. Thought about moving, couldn't afford San Fran or L.A. At least in New Orleans I am fairly unique as a street skater. New Orleaneans do love to costume though. Drinking alcohol is the main recreational activity here by far.
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:51 AM   #15
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

I've read about Golden Gate Park on Sundays. The San Fransisco area is so much fun.

We have something similar in NYC on weekends, Central Park Dance Skate Association (CPDSA). Most days in the park there are groups of slalom skaters too(that's my absolute favorite). Most days they end up playing soccer on skates. Don't try this at home!

Then every Wednesday Night (spring-fall) is a 10mile group skate through the city. It's absolutely fantastic. You make so many friends. All of my pics are on my son's computer, so I'll post when able. San Diego looks great. I've heard a lot of people say that it's the best place to live in the country.

I do the same thing, I go on vacation to skate. Ultimately I want to move to a warmer climate (within 10 years), but it has to have a few good rinks, a long paved path and some sort of skating community.
Old February 20th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #16
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Oh yeah, since we're posting, here's a place I used to skate a lot. It's been abandoned since the 80's! We used to set up skate parks in here, but always got kicked out. I'm a law abiding citizen now, BTW.
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:39 AM   #17
BigFoot

Santa Fe Dam, Irwindale, CA., 25 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. The asphalt road runs along the top of the dam for a distance of 3.4 miles. The road is smooth with no expansion joints, cracks, or uneven pavement. It's peaceful, perfectly level, and no motor vehicles. Light, if any, bicycle and pedestrian traffic. It's just a lot of smooth open road.

Mostly still air. Some seasonal winds that reverse direction mid-morning when L.A. Basin shifts from off-shore to on-shore breezes. Occasional mid- to late-afternoon winds. Again, it's mostly still.

Two sections of the road are long straightaways.

The elevated road gives you nice views of the mountains and the surrounding San Gabriel Valley. Look how happy it makes you.

Not much downhill action here. The short ramp in the center of this pic has a rough surface. Follow it down to the inside of the dam and connect to several miles of concrete walkways that skirt a lake. This is a county park. In the summer months the lake is open to swimming and paddle boats. There is no fee to walk, bike or skate into the park, but vehicles are charged $10/day.

Another ramp on the outside of the dam is much smoother and longer. It connects the Dam's top road to the southbound reach of the San Gabriel River Bike Trail. You can skate this trail to the Pacific Ocean, 30 miles away. Go for it!

This is the north end of the San Gabriel River Bike Trail. To get here, go to the northeast end of the Dam's top road and cross over a quarter mile of rough asphalt road to a nature center/picnic area. There is a drinking fountain and restroom here. From the nature center, skate the trail uphill to reach the base of the mountains, about 5 miles away. There are several hills on this part of the trail that make for great downhill skate runs. Of course, you have to skate up them before you can skate down them. Feel the burn on the climb.

Old February 27th, 2017, 02:20 AM   #18
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

My favorite place to skate is the Tammany Trace Rail-Trail that is 27 miles in length mostly through swamps and pine woods. Testing a new video camera and thought you folks might like some "moving pictures" for about 2 minutes.

Here is the video link: https://vimeo.com/205824340

Here is the "hook" photo:
Old March 5th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #19
shesk8

Default Utah - salt lake valley

Close in town, Liberty Park- a 1.4 mile loop, great for beginners, or sneaking in a few quick laps after work.

North of Salt Lake City, the Legacy Trail - approx 15 miles(one way), connects into 50+ miles of Jordan River trail(to the south) and 30+ miles of Denver Rio-Grande Trails to the north.

North of Salt Lake, in Farmington Ut - Antelope Island Causeway - 7 mile of pristine, smooth skating - one of our personal faves.

Numerous other Salt Lake area trails can be found with trail map links on www.SKATENOW.net Where to Skate page.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017, 11:08 PM   #20
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Since I don't smoke, I accumulate my "smoke break" time and use it for an hour skate starting at my workplace near the French Quarter in New Orleans. Here are a few shots from a skate last week:

If you want to watch a terrible video I made this day, go HERE and use your phone to view it as the file I uploaded is very low quality on purpose. I will replace this video when I make a better one. I was testing a new camera and did not like where I placed the camera.

https://vimeo.com/206780457

Last edited by Joey; March 6th, 2017 at 02:20 AM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote