S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old November 13th, 2008, 06:45 PM   #1
Interested

Smile Shuffle Skating Help

Hello, I was wondering if anyone can please explain how to shuffle skate? I see people in the rink doing it but they are going so fast it is hard to see what they are actually doing with their feet. What are the steps that they are doing? Is it hard to learn? I would like to learn how to do it but I can't figure out what they are doing. Thanks.
Interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:52 PM   #2
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Its not hard at all to learn... what you need to do is get behind them and watch as they go around .
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:55 PM   #3
sk8rmom

Better yet, ask one of them to break it down for you or go slow enough you can follow along.

Sometimes they are going so fast and it's hard to keep up long enough to figure it out.

I can rarely keep up with anyone myself. I usually just keep dropping back until I'm at the end of the line.

I have a theory that if we have a shuffle line about 150 people long and there is no one else on the floor to worry about running over, I MIGHT be able to keep up.
Old November 14th, 2008, 02:17 AM   #4
Tuesday Girl

What they are telling you is right. There are three older sisters that shuffle behind one another at my rink. I just get behind them, watch what they are doing, try to copy, and learn that way. Now we are quadtriplets! It may take me a session or two to get some of the steps. Sometimes a bystander will critique me, like last Tuesday night, a woman said I was tapping my toe only instead of my entire foot, etc. She was observing and noticed what I was doing that didn't match what they were doing. Most people are generally nice enough to show you what they are doing if you ask. If someone wants to keep it to themselves, ask the next person!
Old November 17th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #5
jammn'beck
JAMwdaBESTrBLADElikdaREST

try watching some jamskating videos in slo mo......
but mainly ........whatever you practice, do it on beat or it just looks
dumb.

go to jamskating online or jamskating tube........download some vids.....
then, watch the shuffle, pick it apart, choose the moves you wanna
practice........watch em in slo mo........then go practice them.......
then practice some more.....lol
jammn'beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 12:31 AM   #6
therealdjiceman977th
DJ Iceman @Skatelan.

We just do basic shuffling at our rinks. Hard as hell to do on inline skates. >_<
therealdjiceman977th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 02:02 AM   #7
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Town Sk8er View Post
Its not hard at all to learn... what you need to do is get behind them and watch as they go around .
It's a pain to relearn when it's 26+years and a hundred extra pounds since you were good at it! Trust me I know. But just fall in behind and watch, it'll come naturally.

Hey A-Town thanks for the Rannaillis, like Goldilocks porrage, they are JUST right!

Bob
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 04:20 AM   #8
A-Town Sk8er
theultimateskatesupply

Quote:
Originally Posted by retread View Post

Hey A-Town thanks for the Rannaillis, like Goldilocks porrage, they are JUST right!

Bob

Glad to hear that! I knew you would enjoy them more than i would
A-Town Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #9
Waynesnside

I just Youtube it up and them go out and practice.
Waynesnside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #10
zinski
Junior Mint

Talking

the way i learned was i asked someone who new how to doit. every move is in a 4 beat step ytou have to stay on beat otherwise it dosnt look right. ask someone who knows to tell you the basic shuffle step that originated in the 70s. once you learn this shuffle beat you can do anything with it. and once you get it you will know. just remember your skate should come down on the beat. if you lived near PA. i would show you, were always lookin for more shufflers.... good luck!!
zinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #11
l2edl2azor
Is In Control of the Roll

Skate with your soul.... And your feet will follow.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:55 AM   #12
Philphine

i think it helps to loosen your trucks up. i have to add though, that i never did any racing or other skate activities that required stiffer skates. i don't know how big an issue that would be for you. for me the looser i got them the easier it was.
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 02:27 AM   #13
Sports9er

Default Breakdown of shuffle - beat by beat - Easy way.

This is an over-exagerated explaination...but try this.

On the first beat your right foot leads in front of your left. (weight on your left foot).

On the second beat both feet are side by side (weight equal on both skates)

On the third beat your weight shifts to the right foot as your left skate slides in front of your right skate.

On the forth beat you shift your weight back to the left foot to bring your right foot up and then realize "you can't do it"... so go immediately grab one of the people who you think skate good and ask them to show you.

You may have to follow them for about 1/2 hour/20 laps or so. No shuffle skater on the planet will turn a person down who wants to learn.

GOOD LUCK!
Sports9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM   #14
73watermutt
I skate in circles

Every rink I have been to has a different style of shuffle skating so it is a little hard to tell someone a certain way to do it. Just follow and watch the good skaters at your rink. I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as you are skating to the music and having fun.
73watermutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2009, 10:12 PM   #15
Philphine

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73watermutt View Post
Every rink I have been to has a different style of shuffle skating so it is a little hard to tell someone a certain way to do it. Just follow and watch the good skaters at your rink. I really don't think there is a right or wrong way to do it as long as you are skating to the music and having fun.
this is true from my little bit of experience. i only skated out of town a couple of times, but what seemed common at home pretty much no one did at the rinks i visited, or at least not quite the same way. there was even an occassion when i was in military tech school where i met a guy from a city neighboring my home town. we went to a rink local to the tech school, but we never really locked in to each other's steps, and neither matched what the locals were doing at all.

but there are still sort of basics to it, so if you pick up a bit of it, you should be able to adapt it to whats going on where you are.

hey, one thing i thought of while i was typing. if you have a pair of outdoor skates or you go to a rink where people like to show up fashionably late or whatever (where you almost have the rink to yourself for the first 15-20 minutes if you go right when it opens), try skating in the opposite direction to get used to crossing your left foot in front of the right. that was a problem for me so i spent some time on my outdoor skates just skating in opposite circles (i lived on a quiet enough street to do it at night, so i tried all kinds of things without witnesses). making myself comfortable with that made a lot of the rest of it easier.
Philphine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #16
chaosbaseball
Life is like.. an analogy

Default Many Ways to Shuffle

One reason people have a hard time learning to shuffle is because there are several different patterns used. The easiest and most often learned for beginners is to lag one foot back on the clap beat. The clap beat is basically the beat of the song you would clap your hands together on the song. So, on the first clap beat you would lag (almost freeze) your back foot behind your front. Then you would do the same with your other foot on the next clap beat. Here is an example I found on youtube. You will see that if you clap to the song, the girls back foot is lagging on that beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brsEQmX69FU

There are all sorts of variations people learn from there. Some shufflers move their lead foot out on the clap beat and put that foot down with their weight on it on the half beat. Others move their lead foot out on the clap beat and place their weight down on that foot on the half beat. Like a lot of other posters pointed out, the important thing is to just do it to the beat. Pick a slower beat song to start with and that should help. Just remember that it is not that hard and after you do it right once you will get the feel immediately and be a real SHUFFLE SKATER!!!!!
Old January 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM   #17
BretMan

Going a little off topic...

That username- chaosbaseball- sure is familiar. Do you post on any of the many baseball-related discussion boards on the net?
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:47 PM   #18
chaosbaseball
Life is like.. an analogy

Not me Bretman. I coach my son's USSSA 10 and under travel baseball team. The name is Columbia County Chaos.
Old January 21st, 2009, 09:05 PM   #19
Randy Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosbaseball View Post
One reason people have a hard time learning to shuffle is because there are several different patterns used. The easiest and most often learned for beginners is to lag one foot back on the clap beat. The clap beat is basically the beat of the song you would clap your hands together on the song. So, on the first clap beat you would lag (almost freeze) your back foot behind your front. Then you would do the same with your other foot on the next clap beat. Here is an example I found on youtube. You will see that if you clap to the song, the girls back foot is lagging on that beat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brsEQmX69FU

There are all sorts of variations people learn from there. Some shufflers move their lead foot out on the clap beat and put that foot down with their weight on it on the half beat. Others move their lead foot out on the clap beat and place their weight down on that foot on the half beat. Like a lot of other posters pointed out, the important thing is to just do it to the beat. Pick a slower beat song to start with and that should help. Just remember that it is not that hard and after you do it right once you will get the feel immediately and be a real SHUFFLE SKATER!!!!!

I agree there's many ways to shuffle, back in the day we called it boogie bouncing, today's majority ( I say this because i skate 8+ rinks throughout the state) shuffle like the girls did back in the day (IN OUR RINK ANYWAY) " not intended as an insult I'm just saying"

many on here would agree ( that i know and have skated with, around 15 people) I shuffle/boogie bounce different then most, i double pump ( on beat) with both front wheels rather then just throwing them back and one of my pet peeves is never bring back wheels on the edge (mine i keep flat both of them) if you dont' keep wheels flat it will cause coning and looks rather girlish IMO ...these 2 kids "somewhat" have the dble pump down pat but seem to only do it in the turns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWWbu1sRpTE
Randy Edwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 05:51 AM   #20
BretMan

Randy, what you are describing- the "double pump" with both front wheels of the trailing foot staying on the floor- was pretty much the norm at my rink "back in the day" (mid-70's to mid-80's) and we generally referred to it as "boogie skating".

The more upright style of shuffle skating seemed to become popular as the bigger (62 mm) wheels came into style in the 80's- the older style of skating just seemed like it was better suited to the smaller wheels.

I know that I used to run smaller wheels and my front trucks as loose as they'd go, and that would let your trail foot not just "double pump", but also go side-to-side while keeping the front wheels on the ground.

With the big speed wheels and tight trucks I use now, you just don't seem to be able to get the same action from the trailing foot. Or, maybe it's just because I'm 20 years older than I was back then...
BretMan is offline   Reply With Quote