S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old September 24th, 2018, 04:30 AM   #1
mtroyer
Motion Blur

Default Durable outdoor build similar to indoor build?

Hello DocSk8!

I really need some help here. Iíve had my dream skates for a few years now (Riedell 195 Redline, Labeda Proline, Rollerbones Turbo 88a, Bones Ceramic) and simply love them. Theyíre a dream on the maple floor, although I still havenít found quite the ideal insole yet (Superfeet so far, but thatís another issue...). Hereís a link to them if youíre curious, Iím still proud of them! Jam'N'Speed West built them.

Anyway, the issue I have now is that my boys have discovered scooting at the skate park, and today I took my quads with me. I had an absolute blast and was surprised how quickly I got used to going up and down the hills. I would have been more daring, but my Proline has a mirror finish on it, my boot has no scuffs on it, and Iíd like to keep it that way.

I want to get a ďskate parkĒ skate thatís really geometrically similar to my 195/Redline skates. Iím open to any boot as long as it doesnít have a heal (I know youíre fond of Bont boots, Iíve been team Riedell my whole life but am game to trying something new). Iíve also skated on a Reactor or Proline for a lot of years, but am not averse to a nylon plate as long as itís not 45 degrees.

Iíd like to spend the minimum to get me to the geometry Iím used to, and have a secret hope that youíll recommend something that I end up liking even more!

TLDR: Need a boot/plate recommendation for something that can take a beating, similar to 195/Proline.

I really appreciate the time you take to help us!

--Max
mtroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2018, 07:16 AM   #2
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Hmm

Gonna need to ponder this a bit. Pacer used to make a plastic Pro Line called the Hard Candy. It would need some suspension work to behave like your Pro Line and I'm not certain the durability would be there. A used Reactor may be the best bet. Same for the boots, although I don't think a 195 red line would be easy to find used. If you went with a Bont, a low ankle Quad Racer would be as close as you could come to the 195 I think.

Anyway this will take some thought. Sorry I don't have a magic answer off the top of my head.
Old September 24th, 2018, 11:59 PM   #3
mtroyer
Motion Blur

Thanks so much! After I posted my issue, I learned that Riedell created a new boot, the Solaris, Iím sure youíve heard of it. Itís obviously not cheap, but I was leaning towards giving it a try along with the PowerDyne nylon Reactor, same geometry as the Reactor and ProLine, but much cheaper. Not expecting to drop $400 on a pair of outdoor skates, but curious if the Solaris lives up to the marketing material...
mtroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27th, 2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtroyer View Post
Thanks so much! After I posted my issue, I learned that Riedell created a new boot, the Solaris, Iím sure youíve heard of it. Itís obviously not cheap, but I was leaning towards giving it a try along with the PowerDyne nylon Reactor, same geometry as the Reactor and ProLine, but much cheaper. Not expecting to drop $400 on a pair of outdoor skates, but curious if the Solaris lives up to the marketing material...
The Solaris C/AA last means it has a tight heel. Only a couple around here playing derby. Mine got bought. Not bad and probably worth the money.

The Fuse is recommended to be used w/ 62mm or smaller wheels. Most of the good outdoor wheels are 65mm and up.

I am amused by the toe stop claim. I have yet to see a inserted plastic plate that the insert and stop would not pull out of. Even a OG Laser hard nose.

Same geometry as a Pro Line?? Yeah the Pro Line art plate was 10į.. The speed plate was 5į. That said, I recollect measuring a Reactor @ 5į @ one point in time. I don't much trust advertising anymore. You know..."Trust but verify."??
Old October 6th, 2018, 09:08 PM   #5
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Maybe Novas with either Bont Racers or even footy boots?