S k a t e L o g     F o r u m

Closed in June of 2020

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old March 27th, 2015, 10:50 PM   #1681
Hoytpotater

Hello everyone! I'm 38 and just recently got back into skating after about 20 years. My 8yo daughter got myself and my wife to go and now we have all bought new skates. It's great to be back at a rink. We are all quad skaters and are rolling on riedells and sure grip.
Hoytpotater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2015, 06:54 PM   #1682
LoneRedRoller

Hello,

I am 18-years-old and live in CA. I have been rollerblading off and on for about four years, but really started getting into it about 2 years ago.
I'm not quite sure what category I fit in as far as skaters go. I recently traded in my worn-down rec skates for a pair of Seba FRX80s which I love. I like them because they have enough support for jumps and tricks (can't grind with them though) but they are comfortable enough to take on the trail.
I spend about half my time just riding on the trail near my house (longest I have gone is about 20 miles in one session) and the other half messing around at my school. I can do 180s over curbs and speed bumps and roll backwards pretty well. I can do backwards cross-overs (kinda) and just recently got the guts to jump down the 5-step stairs. Nothing too impressive, but I'm working on it.

I'm a bit of a misfit, but aggressive skating totally fascinates me so that is sorta the direction I am leaning towards.
LoneRedRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2015, 03:59 PM   #1683
okcskater
Still rollin' @ 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoytpotater View Post
Hello everyone! I'm 38 and just recently got back into skating after about 20 years. My 8yo daughter got myself and my wife to go and now we have all bought new skates. It's great to be back at a rink. We are all quad skaters and are rolling on riedells and sure grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneRedRoller View Post
Hello,

I am 18-years-old and live in CA. I have been rollerblading off and on for about four years, but really started getting into it about 2 years ago.
I'm not quite sure what category I fit in as far as skaters go. I recently traded in my worn-down rec skates for a pair of Seba FRX80s which I love. I like them because they have enough support for jumps and tricks (can't grind with them though) but they are comfortable enough to take on the trail.
I spend about half my time just riding on the trail near my house (longest I have gone is about 20 miles in one session) and the other half messing around at my school. I can do 180s over curbs and speed bumps and roll backwards pretty well. I can do backwards cross-overs (kinda) and just recently got the guts to jump down the 5-step stairs. Nothing too impressive, but I'm working on it.

I'm a bit of a misfit, but aggressive skating totally fascinates me so that is sorta the direction I am leaning towards.
Welcome!
okcskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2015, 02:29 AM   #1684
scottishrob
Church of SK8IN'

Default Me

Hello, my name is Robert. I have been a recreational skater(birthdays, group outings,etc.) most of my life. About 7 months ago I decided to get serious about it. I live in Salem, Oregon but grew up in Southern California. I played ice hockey from 6-17 and rugby from 5-now. I also enjoy disc golf, surfing, and snowboarding. I love great beer and food. I am a major collector of collections, and roller skating plays right into that. Hit me up for whatever.
scottishrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2015, 02:16 PM   #1685
gentlehorizons

Default First post

My name is Neil. I'm here to network with like minded people and to learn more about advanced skating techniques. Glad to find an online community like this!

Last edited by gentlehorizons; July 5th, 2015 at 03:28 PM.
gentlehorizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2015, 02:30 AM   #1686
Brigitte

Default I teach skating + how to teach skating

I've been skating on and off since I was a child back in France, on quads for years, then inline, then back on quads for a bit of derby, and now back on inline. I immigrated to New Zealand 20 years ago and 5 years ago, it dawned on me that I was a born skater, that being off skates was not an option and that I should share this great sport with others. So I started a mobile skating school in my region, teaching in schools and halls, and doing regular roller discos. Last year, I put all my experience on paper and wrote 2 ebooks on the subject. I like guiding people who want to do something similar because I'd like skating to spread everywhere!
http://www.skatescool.co.nz
Brigitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2015, 05:44 PM   #1687
donzo44

Default Just Joined But Long Time Reader

Hello everyone

My name is Bryan and I'm almost 71 from Scotland. Still playing ice hockey and used to play roller hockey, but the venue gave up rather than me. 3 sons and 1 daughter who all skate and play hockey.

Ice skates: Rebook 11K
Roller skates: Mission Mod4 HiLo 80 80 72 72. Yes they ARE old, 1998 maybe.

After almost 17 years, I tried the Mission's on the local pavements(sidewalks). Man are the pavements ROUGH and the roads are MUCH worse. Using Labeda Asphalt 84A and have tried softer 74A hockey wheels I had but not much better. Guess I maybe need to invest in new skates and I will post a question in the forum soon.

Regards

Bryan
donzo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2015, 10:37 AM   #1688
gentlehorizons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigitte View Post
I've been skating on and off since I was a child back in France, on quads for years, then inline, then back on quads for a bit of derby, and now back on inline. I immigrated to New Zealand 20 years ago and 5 years ago, it dawned on me that I was a born skater, that being off skates was not an option and that I should share this great sport with others. So I started a mobile skating school in my region, teaching in schools and halls, and doing regular roller discos. Last year, I put all my experience on paper and wrote 2 ebooks on the subject. I like guiding people who want to do something similar because I'd like skating to spread everywhere!
Hi Brigitte, sounds impressive! Is it difficult though, to do this professionally? I've been a hobbyist for a long time now but never did it dawn on me before that you could turn this into a teaching opportunity, like a local business or something.
Old June 22nd, 2015, 08:46 PM   #1689
El3ctr0naut

Post Hello All!

Finally got around to posting! Hi Everyone!

My names Adam and I'm from Nottingham in the UK. I've been skating, again, recreationally, for the last 18 months. Skated as a kid and got back into it again in the late 90's when I bought a pair of K2 Velocity Inlines. Still got 'em but have gone back to quads. Currently skating a Supreme Turbo 33 with Qube 8 ball bearings and Sims Street Snakes. Just upgraded to some Rollerbones Turbos 92 and gave them their first blast on Saturday on a maple floor. Boy are they fast.....

Lucky to live not too far from Rollerworld in Derby where we skate every weekend...and sometimes during the week if I can sneak off ;-) Got our 8 year old lad into it and also 'she who must be obeyed', too.

Looking at investing in a pair Skates with a DA45 plate later in the year when I've built up 'Dads Toy Fund' again.

Looking forward to joining in on the forum....

Adam
El3ctr0naut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2015, 12:11 AM   #1690
rollerblader2014

Hello everyone.

Last edited by rollerblader2014; June 24th, 2015 at 04:14 PM.
rollerblader2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 12:52 PM   #1691
DavyTee

Default UK Newbie

HI All, Davy From Northumberland, England.

Ive just got into inline skating at the age of 47 much to my daughters embarrassment lol. However, I seem to be the only middle age person in North East England who skates for fitness or who just skates full stop.
There is literally no one skating here at all. Yeah you have the young ones doing aggressive skating in the skate parks but that's it.

I would love to find some like minded people in my area who fancy taking up skating or are already doing it so maybe we can have a meet up as im feeling pretty lonely out here.

I also have to find very quiet rural roads in the backwoods of Northumberland to skate on so 1: people don't pass out laughing at me and 2: there aint no where else to actually skate around these parts.

So looking forward to joining this community and learning from you all.

Thanks for listening

Davy
DavyTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2015, 07:27 PM   #1692
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyTee View Post

Ive just got into inline skating at the age of 47 much to my daughters embarrassment lol. However, I seem to be the only middle age person in North East England who skates for fitness or who just skates full stop.
There is literally no one skating here at all. Yeah you have the young ones doing aggressive skating in the skate parks but that's it.

I would love to find some like minded people in my area who fancy taking up skating or are already doing it so maybe we can have a meet up as im feeling pretty lonely out here.

I also have to find very quiet rural roads in the backwoods of Northumberland to skate on so 1: people don't pass out laughing at me and 2: there aint no where else to actually skate around these parts.

Thanks for listening

Davy
f
Welcome aboard.
i've been taking my sho outside as well. Even in the skate park but I don't use the obstacles much. I've been skating along side my kids longboarding. Only one of the freinds gives me the,"you don't really belong here look". But I can out skate him any day.

They prolly passout laughing, because they are sitting around and are way of shape. If they'd just join you they could laugh without passing out.
Derrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 3rd, 2015, 03:56 PM   #1693
Fancy-Kerrigan

Quote:
Very Cool company. I love the concept and how you bring skating to everyone on their terms. If I thought there was a chance something like this would pay the bills, I would do it tomorrow. I too was born to skate. One question:
Turning a hobby into a job......Does it deminish your excitement or love of the sport?
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:15 AM   #1694
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Kerrigan View Post
Very Cool company. I love the concept and how you bring skating to everyone on their terms. If I thought there was a chance something like this would pay the bills, I would do it tomorrow. I too was born to skate. One question:
Turning a hobby into a job......Does it deminish your excitement or love of the sport?
Hey hey, thanks for the feedback and good question man! Does it diminish my love of the sport? For me it doesn't because I enjoy teaching. It's rewarding to see the progress of students. Eventually they become very confident and you can push them doing more challenging stuff. It's the time when you can have a more equal skating experience and have a bit of "me time" in the middle of your classes and when you start to see a bit of your style in them, it's a cool feeling!

As for paying the bills, it does pay quite a few. Depends how often you do it. If you do 1hr every day after school in their premises + 1 or 2 adults sessions elsewhere and a few roller discos, it adds up nicely. See my website for more info http://www.skatescool.co.nz/skatingbusiness/

And you what do you do? What kind of skater are you? Cheers, Brigitte
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:20 AM   #1695
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by donzo44 View Post
Hello everyone

My name is Bryan and I'm almost 71 from Scotland. Still playing ice hockey and used to play roller hockey, but the venue gave up rather than me. 3 sons and 1 daughter who all skate and play hockey.

Ice skates: Rebook 11K
Roller skates: Mission Mod4 HiLo 80 80 72 72. Yes they ARE old, 1998 maybe.

After almost 17 years, I tried the Mission's on the local pavements(sidewalks). Man are the pavements ROUGH and the roads are MUCH worse. Using Labeda Asphalt 84A and have tried softer 74A hockey wheels I had but not much better. Guess I maybe need to invest in new skates and I will post a question in the forum soon.

Regards

Bryan
YES skaters of all ages! Never too old to skate! At my roller discos, we have 3yr olds, big kids, teens, adults and sometimes a few special grand parents on skates.
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:24 AM   #1696
Brigitte

[QUOTE=Derrick;706682]f
Welcome aboard.
i've been taking my sho outside as well. Even in the skate park but I don't use the obstacles much. I've been skating along side my kids longboarding. Only one of the freinds gives me the,"you don't really belong here look". But I can out skate him any day.

They prolly passout laughing, because they are sitting around and are way of shape. If they'd just join you they could laugh without passing out.[/

I go to skate parks with my son and a few students, and yes we are the only ones on skates but it's fun. Nver mind for the skateboarders who think that it's the only way to roll

Last edited by Brigitte; July 5th, 2015 at 08:29 AM. Reason: I misread the date of the question, thought it was an old post
Old July 5th, 2015, 08:32 AM   #1697
Brigitte

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavyTee View Post

Thanks for listening

Davy
Hi DavyTee, there's a skate school in england, not sure where though. They even organise skating trips in Spain. It looks fun. I teach in New Zealand but we dont travel, I'd love to do a skating trip one day. Check him out. Let us know if you find some ppl to skate with
Old July 6th, 2015, 04:16 PM   #1698
Fancy-Kerrigan

Quote:
Hey hey, thanks for the feedback and good question man! Does it diminish my love of the sport? For me it doesn't because I enjoy teaching. It's rewarding to see the progress of students. Eventually they become very confident and you can push them doing more challenging stuff. It's the time when you can have a more equal skating experience and have a bit of "me time" in the middle of your classes and when you start to see a bit of your style in them, it's a cool feeling!

As for paying the bills, it does pay quite a few. Depends how often you do it. If you do 1hr every day after school in their premises + 1 or 2 adults sessions elsewhere and a few roller discos, it adds up nicely. See my website for more info http://www.skatescool.co.nz/skatingbusiness/

And you what do you do? What kind of skater are you? Cheers, Brigitte
I am often asked while skating session to teach someone how to do something. It is a great feeling of satisfaction to see someone progress on their skating journey because of instruction I have given them. I can understand how doing that on a daily basis would be very rewarding.

I am every kind of skater. Skating since I was 2. Dad taught me art skating outside when I was little. Started going to rinks as a teenager. Boyfriend taught me shuffle skating & a bit about speed skating. In my late 30's I joined a Roller Derby team & took the name Fancy Kerrigan. My husband "GotSk8s" and I skate with our children outside & at rinks weekly. We love every minute of it. I currently work as a secretary for a residential program for troubled boys.
Fancy-Kerrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7th, 2015, 04:44 PM   #1699
deathdrop

Hey folks,

Howdy! I'm a figure skater originally from the East Coast. I'm now living in France, and in my second season back on the ice after a 25+ year hiatus. Things work a bit differently over here, and my club is exclusively ice dance and synchro. So no jumping for me. Well, officially anyway .

Nice to meet you all.
deathdrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2015, 02:53 AM   #1700
Rancher

Default Returning Member

My names Ethan and I've been a member of the forum for around 5 years now. However I drifted away from skating and have only skated maybe 5 times in the last 3 years. I have recently started skating again though and holy smokes I'm out of shape.... I'm from the North Eastern, Ohio area and would like to connect with anyone who is in the area. My old skating group who I used to skate with 4 nights a week have all drifted apart...