S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 7th, 2018, 06:58 PM   #21
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for Mark and Slinky Dog for posting/results.

Congratulations to Mark and Slinky Dog. I'm hoping next year to watch a few of these people skate. I really don't know Mark or Slinky Dog, but I know the events they skate, so I can look them up next year.

I agree with Slinky Dog, those solo dance events can be killer. I placed 17th out of 35 in Solo Dance for old people....Div 2, Bronze. So, that isn't to good lol! But I had fun. Those solo girls are just so smooth and in Slinky Dogs' Solo Dance, I know in the SW Pacific they are real tough competitors and beautiful to watch. It's really fun to watch those events. I thoroughly enjoy watching them skate.

In figures I won...lol! A lot of scratches, but a win is a win and the metals are huge and beautiful. Really nice metals...lol! So I guess I am a National Champion in Div 2, Bronze Mens figures...lol!

Take Care everybody and I'm think of skating Singles next year.
I looked up the rules for people 64 years old. Here's what I would like to attempt:

NOVICE: Could not find Classic????? (age 18 & up)
TIME LIMIT: no minimum, maximum 2:30
Content requirements:
Maximum of 5 jumps, may be single, 1 Ĺ or double rotation,
1) Axel
2) Boekel
3) Double Mapes
4) Double Toewally
5) Double Flip

2 jump combinations, maximum of 3 jumps.
1) Axel, loop, Double Mapes
2) Boekel, uler, Double Flip

Maximum of 3 spins, in which 2 may be a combination/change spin (may use camel and sit positions). No repeated items (spins or jumps) unless used in the combination.
1) OF Camel, IB sit
2) OB Camel
3) OF Camel, OB Camel

One sequence of primary, secondary, or advanced footwork must be included.

Sincerely, everybody and good health to you!

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2018, 07:53 PM   #22
Ancient1

Congrats Larry on now being a National Champion...

Larry, maybe we should call you -- LarryOChampion

Great Job
Old August 8th, 2018, 11:22 AM   #23
rwsz

congratulations on your placement Larry,,,nice,,,gold at that
Old August 8th, 2018, 09:00 PM   #24
larryoracing

Smile Thanks Jim and Rick. It was a great year!

Can't wait for next year to start. I'm ready to go...lol!

I made one mistake last year. I did not practice the elimination dances for
Nationals, well enough. It just didn't work out that way. The only time
we ever competed in those dances was at Nationals. I'm hoping this
year we will compete at those dances either locally, Invitational or Regionals.
It just didn't happen this year and I just wasn't ready for them.

Got a whole year to rectify that problem...lol!

sincerely,

Larry Otani
Old August 8th, 2018, 10:37 PM   #25
markwphoto

Congrats to Slinkydog (Brock) and Larry at Nationals! Slinkydog was crushing it at Nationals. He was in the same Fresh/Soph B division as me. Thanks for letting the old guy skating with you young guys!

I didn't do as well as I wanted at Nationals but I still had fun. Nerves got the best of me in figures and loops. I tied for 13 in figures, loops I won't even talk about (Lol) but I was quite happy with freestyle. I made it past eliminations but ended up placing 6th due to a fall. Still I was happy how I did and look to work even harder for next year.

I have the option to skate freestyle in either Novice, Classic, or Fresh/Sophm but I think I still stick with Fresh/Soph one more year. The young guys make me challenge myself even more to do better. Plus there usually aren't a lot guys in the adult meets until Regionals.

BTW Larry, didn't know you were at Regionals! Next time smack me on the back. Lol.

At Nationals I got myself a new Giottos figure plate with some new Star HD wheels and an Edea Jazz boot for my old Atlas Inline plates. When I got back home I mounted them both. I must say I love the responsiveness of the Giotto plate for figures and loops. Why didn't I switch sooner! It also feels good to be back on my artistic inlines. My old boot was broken down too much in the ankle and I was scared to jump on it.

Now that meets are over for a while, it's time for me to get back to some basics, learn some new stuff and keep analyzing my techniques to make me a better skater. I plan share my findings so I'll write some more blog posts as well as do some video captures really soon.

Cheers!
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 12:55 AM   #26
Slinkydog

I would love to eventually try artistic inline, and I never knew Atlas ever made an inline frame before talking to you Mark! And after watching Collin Motley and his sister do double axels on them I've been even more tempted to get some Snow Whites with Edea Jazz boots.
Let me know how you like those boots, based on the Edea Jazz boot I saw at the SkatesUS booth at nationals, they look very similar to the Edea Fly, just a bit more stiff (80 instead of 50).
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:09 AM   #27
larryoracing

Smile Thanks for the post Mark and Brock!

Quote:
Plus there usually aren't a lot guys in the adult meets until Regionals.
I agree. In Southern California, there is only one boy who skates singles in Classic. He is 61 years old. I met him and his coach and look forward to skating with him in 2019. I will not beat himÖlol, but I hope we have a lot of fun skating together.

Quote:
BTW Larry, didn't know you were at Regionals! Next time smack me on the back. Lol.
Mark, I was sitting right next to you and I did talk to you and your wife just a little bit in passing. I was the Asian guy with no hairÖlol. You might remember me, but in any case I hope to see you skate Figures and loops and singles next year. And possibly maybe even see your wife skate????
I donít know her intentions. I donít think she skated this year??? At Regionals???? SW Pacific Region.

Quote:
At Nationals I got myself a new Giottos figure plate with some new Star HD wheels ... When I got back home I mounted them both. I must say I love the responsiveness of the Giotto plate for figures and loops. Why didn't I switch sooner!
Dear Mark,

Iím not really a figure skater and most of my figures are pretty basic. But
I have skated on the Giotto plate and I think it is an excellent plate. But a plate I like which is no longer available is the Roll Line ďRingĒ. Itís known as a loop plate, but I use it for Big Circles doing just the simple, no turn figures.

I have a friend who skates loops and Gold Div 2 figures and he swears by the Hudor Plate. He got them this year and loves them. I think he uses different cushions for top and bottom.

This same person also uses the STD Dance plates and he loves that plate over the Roll Line Dance plate.

How are those Star wheels. A friend bought some for Nationals, but I donít know how she liked them. She wants to go back to Roll Line Ghiotto figure wheels?????

Quote:
Now that meets are over for a while, it's time for me to get back to some basics, learn some new stuff and keep analyzing my techniques to make me a better skater. I plan share my findings so I'll write some more blog posts as well as do some video captures really soon.
Look forward to you blogs and video clips.

Larry O
Old August 9th, 2018, 11:49 AM   #28
markwphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Mark, I was sitting right next to you and I did talk to you and your wife just a little bit in passing. I was the Asian guy with no hairÖlol. You might remember me, but in any case I hope to see you skate Figures and loops and singles next year. And possibly maybe even see your wife skate????
I donít know her intentions. I donít think she skated this year??? At Regionals???? SW Pacific Region.
I know exactly who you are now! Look forward to seeing you the coming year! As for my wife, you'll probably never see her skate competition. She is actually very good at figures and dance but she beats herself up way too much when it comes to skating. She wants it to be perfect and if it's not right then she can get quite frustrated. She is getting better each day but when it comes to doing stuff in front of people or a judge she forgets everything. Lol. Test centers are about her limit right now. I worked with her on a lot of things over the past few years and she is getting stronger and more confident each day so perhaps that will change one day.

I've heard good things about the Ring plate. Too bad it's no longer available. I would have loved to try it out. I am satisfied for now with the Giotto plate. It's way more responsive than my old atlas figure plate (and lighter to boot)!

As for Star wheels, I've been on the same set of Star HD 80 wheels since 1996! They still roll great with no flat spots. My wife has wanted to steal my wheels for years. I let her try them one time and she didn't want to give them back. Lol. My only problem was that when I got to the National floor they were slipping like crazy. I bought a new set that gripped a bit more and I only used two of them for push wheels. I have them mounted on the left and right foot, inside big toe wheels. The rest of the new wheels I put on my wife's figure skates along with two of my leftover old wheels. She's happy now and can stop trying to take mine.

I noticed a lot more skaters on Star wheels this year vs last year. I tried the Giotto wheels but I had a love/hate relationship with them. They were great for 3 turns but slipped to much on the takeoffs which brings me to an upcoming post. I finally broke down pushes and takeoffs to make them a lot easier, more powerful, faster, more stable with no slipping. Even wheels that grip can slip on a tight floor. I'll have a post about it in day or two!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkydog View Post
Let me know how you like those boots, based on the Edea Jazz boot I saw at the SkatesUS booth at nationals, they look very similar to the Edea Fly, just a bit more stiff (80 instead of 50).
Loving the Jazz boots!! I'm still breaking them in but they feel just like my Flys but stiffer. For those who have never seen the Atlas Inline plate, here it is in the wild!

markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2018, 05:18 PM   #29
pastskater
Tommy's Pastskater

Smile

Hello,

While it has been ages since last online here, I thought it best to read up and see what our up and coming representation will be looking like. I am so happy to hear there are those that have decided to take pairs as their passion in Artistic skating.

PS. Hi, there Rick! I am so happy you are still here with the forum.
Old August 10th, 2018, 05:28 AM   #30
larryoracing

Smile Hello PastSkater, glad to see you posting...lol!

Quote:
While it has been ages since last online here, I thought it best to read up and see what our up and coming representation will be looking like. I am so happy to hear there are those that have decided to take pairs as their passion in Artistic skating.

Dear Past Skater.

I have read your posts, but I donít think I was around when you first posted.
Sorry to say, I donít think there are many Pairs Skaters in the U.S.

As an example I think there were only two teams in JrWorld Class and I think only one team in World Class, at this years Nationals. That ainít to muchÖlol!

I did have chance to see Chance and his partner at SW Pacific Regionals and I think they are a good example of the skating, the talent and the future of Artistic Skating. They are fun to watch and they have grown so much in the last year.

They seem to skate singles, pairs, Creative Solo/team/solo, quartets and Show/group numbers. They are quite fun to watch in solo form, couples/pairs or quartets and team/group or show group. They are very "artistic" and have a lot of showmanship and creativity! They always seem to tell a "story" when they skate. That is skating to a very "high" level to me???

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S.

From my perspective it's the absolute fun for me to participate and watch the Adult Divisions. There are many Champions who were Champions 40-50 years ago and still skating today. That is what is amazing to me??????? And many of them skate at my home rink...FVSC.
Old August 11th, 2018, 12:28 AM   #31
larryoracing

Smile Thanks Mark for all your post(s)...lol!

Quote:
I noticed a lot more skaters on Star wheels this year vs last year. I tried the Giotto wheels but I had a love/hate relationship with them. They were great for 3 turns but slipped to much on the takeoffs which brings me to an upcoming post.
Dear Mark,

Thanks for your post(s). They are so informative and helpful. The photos are greatÖlol! A picture tells a thousand words. I love those Inline skates. I guess you canít get those Atlas Inline skates anymore? I know there are other really good inline roller skates out there. I see people skating on them.

Quote:
I finally broke down pushes and takeoffs to make them a lot easier, more powerful, faster, more stable with no slipping.
Iím only skating basic figures at competitions and I have been using the Komplex wheels. A green(gippiest) for the push wheel and the hardest wheels (yellow ones) for the rest of the wheels. I have had good luck with them but the wheels seem to wear funny and sometimes crack or split at the seams?????

Quote:
Even wheels that grip can slip on a tight floor. I'll have a post about it in day or two!
This is a interesting observation. Patti decided to go back to the Giotto Wheels. She tried some Stars this year but felt she was slipping on the National floor. She tried them (Giotto Wheels) today and was slipping and asked if I had the Giotto 49D (grippy/blue) wheel. I did, so I will bring them in for her during the next session. She will try this Blue (grippy) wheel for the push wheel.

Sincerely,

Larry O