S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old October 2nd, 2018, 08:50 AM   #1
Oicusk82huh

Default Riedell insoles

Hi guys. When I got my custom 172's I was REALLY surprised at the poor quality of the insole. It's basically like a piece of cardboard. So I ordered an Edea insole. Nothing special, just a regular $8 insole (not the under soles) Anyway, I just realized tonight that it's just not wide enough. It's too narrow. My big toe gets crammed in the crevasse, sometime my little toe gets crammed on the other side and it pinches.

So I took the insole out of my old 120's (D width...wide). They are comfortable, cushy and they fit perfect. The quality way better than the 172's. It was the best night I had so far. To get to the point. My old insoles STINK. I really don't want them in my new beautiful boots.

Can you recommend anything D width for Riedell? I'll still be putting my Noene under soles under it (I adore these). Doesn't matter if it's specifically for skates. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 11:25 AM   #2
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hi guys. When I got my custom 172's I was REALLY surprised at the poor quality of the insole. It's basically like a piece of cardboard. So I ordered an Edea insole. Nothing special, just a regular $8 insole (not the under soles) Anyway, I just realized tonight that it's just not wide enough. It's too narrow. My big toe gets crammed in the crevasse, sometime my little toe gets crammed on the other side and it pinches.

So I took the insole out of my old 120's (D width...wide). They are comfortable, cushy and they fit perfect. The quality way better than the 172's. It was the best night I had so far. To get to the point. My old insoles STINK. I really don't want them in my new beautiful boots.

Can you recommend anything D width for Riedell? I'll still be putting my Noene under soles under it (I adore these). Doesn't matter if it's specifically for skates. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
look for something that has to be cut on sides and length for correct fit, in walmarts or online maybe at amazon
Old October 2nd, 2018, 12:14 PM   #3
kcire10

Ok so it's not just me. My 220s came with those type of insoles and I need to get some. Any suggestions???

On another note, I'm getting sized up for a new set up - Edea Classica boot with the Roll Line Dance plate. Pretty excited
kcire10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Ancient1

As far as I remember the inner sole or foot pad in any of my Riedell boots was always a bare bones slap of cardboard like material. I kind of liked it that way. If felt like a no frills race car meant for handling and speed with all input from the plate getting immediatly transferred to my foot.

But that was just me. I did once do as Rick suggested and went to Walmart and got a pair of Dr. Scholls foot pads and trimmed them to the proper size. I hated it and pulled them out and put them in my regular shoes instead. I went back to the cardboard (I think it was really a very thin piece of piece of rawhide and not really cardboard). I was much happier with the boot when it was in the original condition. That original inner pad or sole or what ever it is called does last a long time so that is why I think it's not cardboard and most likely a very thin hardened hide.
Old October 2nd, 2018, 07:52 PM   #5
ursle
Street Skater

True the riedel blanks are just to cover the mounting screws, but if a skater wants better innersoles, here's a page from Amazon of choices of thin heatmoldable soles, aka orthotics, the Dr Scholls are a gel, not as thin, heavier, always moving innersoles, I prefer orthotics that Shae to every mm of your foot, better balance, more comfortable, long lasting.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...g0ifyemv_b_p38
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2018, 05:52 AM   #6
Oicusk82huh

I'm looking and thanks for the link!!! It's still kind of hard to narrow it down. I just want something softer, but not squishy. Something very basic. I've never had any problems with arches or pain or anything. I just want something that doesn't feel like a piece of wood.

Kcire10- Edea's are so amazing, you see so many people skating on them in the olympics. I would LOVE to try them sometime. Right now I'm loving the 172's. I figured out how to do inside double three turns (with instructor advice). I realize that's kind of a beginner thing, but for me it's a big accomplishment. I'm still a beginner and still learning. Outside 3's were simple, but now can do both! I just can't believe the difference a "level- specific" boot and plate can make.

Now for the perfect insole.....
Old October 3rd, 2018, 02:19 PM   #7
rwsz

Jim u are so right, was a piece of cowhide and then went to more of a pressed cardboard for the riedells.

I think he should start at something he thinks will work on the less expensive side before spending too much for something that he wont be happy with.
Old October 3rd, 2018, 10:24 PM   #8
jotson

Do your favorite sneakers have removable insoles? I've been using New Balance sneaker insoles for a while. Probably time to upgrade my sneakers again for hand-me-down insoles
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2018, 07:54 AM   #9
Oicusk82huh

Ahem, I'm a lady!!! Lol!!!! Yes, I'd like to start with something less expensive, maybe I will try a sneaker insole. Thanks for the advice, I'll look at my sneakers. Also, maybe one that I cut out, so I'll look there too. That way I could trace the exact size of the 120. I'm really gonna start looking now.

Last edited by Oicusk82huh; October 4th, 2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: forgot
Old October 4th, 2018, 10:53 AM   #10
rwsz

Quote:
Ahem, I'm a lady!!! Lol!!!! Yes, I'd like to start with something less expensive, maybe I will try a sneaker insole. Thanks for the advice, I'll look at my sneakers. Also, maybe one that I cut out, so I'll look there too. That way I could trace the exact size of the 120. I'm really gonna start looking now.
lol sorry about that,,,,,,no clue or didn't remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,good idea on using some from an old sneaker or shoe or even boot. tracing is a good idea also
Old October 6th, 2018, 03:46 AM   #11
kcire10

Quote:
I'm looking and thanks for the link!!! It's still kind of hard to narrow it down. I just want something softer, but not squishy. Something very basic. I've never had any problems with arches or pain or anything. I just want something that doesn't feel like a piece of wood.

Kcire10- Edea's are so amazing, you see so many people skating on them in the olympics. I would LOVE to try them sometime. Right now I'm loving the 172's. I figured out how to do inside double three turns (with instructor advice). I realize that's kind of a beginner thing, but for me it's a big accomplishment. I'm still a beginner and still learning. Outside 3's were simple, but now can do both! I just can't believe the difference a "level- specific" boot and plate can make.

Now for the perfect insole.....
Good stuff! Those Edea's are ridiculously comfortable. My 220s are comfortable as well, even with the cardboard insole inserts. The Edea's feel like pillows in your boot. I'm getting the plates mounted next week then I'll take em out and see what I can do with em.

Question??? Is inside/outside 3s what we call pivoting? I watched some YouTube videos of ice skaters doing them and it seems as if that is what they are.
Old October 6th, 2018, 12:54 PM   #12
Oicusk82huh

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcire10 View Post
Good stuff! Those Edea's are ridiculously comfortable. My 220s are comfortable as well, even with the cardboard insole inserts. The Edea's feel like pillows in your boot. I'm getting the plates mounted next week then I'll take em out and see what I can do with em.

Question??? Is inside/outside 3s what we call pivoting? I watched some YouTube videos of ice skaters doing them and it seems as if that is what they are.
Which Edeas did you get, the Classica? Waiting is the hardest part. Yes, the 3 turn is our one foot pivot. We've been drilling them HARD. The hardest part is matching it to the rhythm. I'm still so SLOW, I'm like half tempo, but trying hard. I made some progress tonight, but need to spend way more time working on it. I guess it's good to have goals.
Old October 6th, 2018, 08:34 PM   #13
kcire10

Quote:
Which Edeas did you get, the Classica? Waiting is the hardest part. Yes, the 3 turn is our one foot pivot. We've been drilling them HARD. The hardest part is matching it to the rhythm. I'm still so SLOW, I'm like half tempo, but trying hard. I made some progress tonight, but need to spend way more time working on it. I guess it's good to have goals.
Yep, I got the Classica's.... Oh ok, I didn't know they were the same thing. Keep practicing because once you get it, you got it. I've learned to do em on either foot and you should do that as well once you've learned on one foot. I find learning how to do them real fast difficult until you get it.
Old October 7th, 2018, 06:56 AM   #14
Oicusk82huh

I got em all!!!! Yay me!!! Okay, but they still probably suck, either way I'm happy and really trying. Any advice for quickness? In rhythm skating we do them in a straight line (usually), or going around the middle circle. In figure skating they specifically do the turns on a lobe or on a figure eight. I'm confused however. I'll show you what I mean. I'm attaching a video of a beautiful young lady to give the example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfYUzANbeK4

At 00:04 seconds she does what we called in ice skating a "right outside three turn" (she makes it a double by going back to front at 00:07). My rollerskating group calls these 3 turns "inside pivots." I'm okay with it, because when we do it in a straight line (instead of on a lobe) we use our inside edges to turn. So fundamentally they could be different???

Question for the "actual" figure skaters here, would 00:04 be called an outside or inside turn? I always called this an outside.

Then at 00:15 seconds she does a right inside 3 turn (also makes it a double).
However, my rhythm skating group calls these "outside pivots."

Then she does it all on her right foot.
Old October 7th, 2018, 07:28 AM   #15
Slinkydog

The turn at the 4 second mark is a right outer forward 3 turn (ROF-3). A 3 turn is a turn from one edge to the opposite edge (pressing inside of the circle, otherwise it's a bracket), so the ROF-3 ends on the RIB edge (right inner back). The girl in the video is doing paragraph (2 circles on 1 foot) double 3s.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2018, 04:13 PM   #16
Oicusk82huh

Thanks Slinky Dog. I'm not loosing my mind.

I think we have a slightly different way of learning some similar moves (in rhythm skating). Some different names, but they make sense if you go by which edge you're on. That's why it's fun getting together with artistic roller skaters. It's shared learning.
Old October 8th, 2018, 10:55 PM   #17
kcire10

Quote:
I got em all!!!! Yay me!!! Okay, but they still probably suck, either way I'm happy and really trying. Any advice for quickness? In rhythm skating we do them in a straight line (usually), or going around the middle circle. In figure skating they specifically do the turns on a lobe or on a figure eight. I'm confused however. I'll show you what I mean. I'm attaching a video of a beautiful young lady to give the example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfYUzANbeK4

At 00:04 seconds she does what we called in ice skating a "right outside three turn" (she makes it a double by going back to front at 00:07). My rollerskating group calls these 3 turns "inside pivots." I'm okay with it, because when we do it in a straight line (instead of on a lobe) we use our inside edges to turn. So fundamentally they could be different???

Question for the "actual" figure skaters here, would 00:04 be called an outside or inside turn? I always called this an outside.

Then at 00:15 seconds she does a right inside 3 turn (also makes it a double).
However, my rhythm skating group calls these "outside pivots."

Then she does it all on her right foot.
I see what you mean. I see the artistic guys and girls do em at the rink. They are difficult if your balance isn't there.

As far as doing them fast, your balance and speed have to be correct and practice, practice, practice!