S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 21st, 2018, 05:23 AM   #1
larryoracing

Smile The OB Spin...upright??????

Would anybody like to demonstrate....Marks' Photo...lol!

Today, I guess was my first day on my journey to return to freestyle skating at the age of 63 years old.

Needless to say my pro and other people of privilege are totally 100% against the idea. Why would you want to jeopardize your whole skating career to pursue something that people 63 years old should not being doing?

Well, really aren't they correct? How many people do you know skating freestyle at age 63? There are probably one, but not many...lol! At the National level??????

So, I understand their standings, opinions and concerns...lol!
Not to mention there may be some insurance issues of someone of age jumping and spinning at the skating rink.

1) But today my friend helped me with the Endeavor. He said pull you left shoulder back. Do the RIF entrance, then swing into the outer back staying in the crouched position for the OB upright position/spin.

2) He said when I try to control the OB spin Upright with the Right side, I have a tendency to drop the right side and fall off the spin.

2A) When I control the OB Upright with the Left shoulder pulling back, I keep my shoulders level and keep the spin turning square.

Anybody have any feelings on how to control and operate a OB upright spin.

Just curious what others feel when performing the spin.

3) I do feel there is a lot of control with the right foot pressing the RIF edge, then rocking over to the ROB upright spin.

Sincerely

Larry O and may the "spin" be with you...lol!
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2018, 10:58 AM   #2
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryoracing View Post

Today, I guess was my first day on my journey to return to freestyle skating at the age of 63 years old.

Needless to say my pro and other people of privilege are totally 100% against the idea. Why would you want to jeopardize your whole skating career to pursue something that people 63 years old should not being doing.
Sincerely

Yes, stop having fun at 63 cause someone told you you should..... NOT! Just 53 get some if the same crap already. Iím not as good as you but that donít stop me either.

I kinda naturally turn my two foot spin to an LOB (but generally drag my right foot a bit, ocassionally I can lift the right). If I lift a foot though I go outside right edge but spin CW (broken ankel?) I sometimes rock to IB just cause I think I should be able to that. But Iím not centered well IB. Iím a mess. But I have a good time. Still trying to get my speed up on a base 360. Waltzes I do just fine either way, I enter going waltz (1/3 axel) much better than going in reverse. But I have no hope of going the full axel. So mapes (cheating!no toe stop) it is for me.
Old August 21st, 2018, 03:00 PM   #3
Ancient1

Hi Larry,

I say go for it. I know I will once my weight drops another 100 lbs (and I am on my way thanks to my wife making me work out). Danger is in LIFE! Drive and it is dangerous, cross a street and it is dangerous. There is a chance you could choke on a piece of steak or swallow water wrong. But maybe those that don't want you to risk think you will come back when you grow younger and you won't miss the fun and excitement and fulfillment of doing what you enjoy. You need to decide if you will run your life or others will control your fun... Choice is yours.

I know that my best OB spins were when I stepped to my right leg and did a fast transition to the OB edge. I spin CCW and for an OB it is on the right leg. I can still feel the position in my head. The best spins were with control was with my right arm (same as my employed leg). The right arm and shoulder and side and leg acted as one member to control my positioning and center my spin. When you get it right it just feels perfect.

Funny but the first time I did my absolute best OB spin was by accident. I just landed a double mapes and I did a bad check and was falling out of it. I knew I would fall so I decided to not fight it but instead use the jump rotation to keep me up. I locked my right arm and shoulder and put a lot of control on my right arm and held my edge. In shock I realized I was in an OB upright and it was tight and centered. The feel was perfect. I immediately started practicing the OB spin to keep that memory and tried over and over to mimic the feel and soon achieved it consistently. What a great freaking spin.

So for me it was control on the right arm and right side and a proper edge/lean.

I wish I had a vid of it. One day I will...
Old August 22nd, 2018, 05:50 AM   #4
larryoracing

Smile Thanks Jim for the words of encouragemen and

Post! I sure appreciate it.

I really feel I have the world by the balls...lol I just feel after two years of hard work and a national title, it's time to put the pedal to the metal and start my endeavor for a national title in singles.

That may sound a little far fetched, but I do feel I have the potential and ability.

I will keep you posted.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2018, 06:02 AM   #5
Ancient1

Larry,
It's not far fetched. I think you have it (the National title that is...).

Quote:
Post! I sure appreciate it.

I really feel I have the world by the balls...lol I just feel after two years of hard work and a national title, it's time to put the pedal to the metal and start my endeavor for a national title in singles.

That may sound a little far fetched, but I do feel I have the potential and ability.

I will keep you posted.

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Old August 31st, 2018, 04:03 AM   #6
markwphoto

Quote:

Needless to say my pro and other people of privilege are totally 100% against the idea. Why would you want to jeopardize your whole skating career to pursue something that people 63 years old should not being doing?

Well, really aren't they correct? How many people do you know skating freestyle at age 63? There are probably one, but not many...lol! At the National level??????

So, I understand their standings, opinions and concerns...lol!
Not to mention there may be some insurance issues of someone of age jumping and spinning at the skating rink.

1) But today my friend helped me with the Endeavor. He said pull you left shoulder back. Do the RIF entrance, then swing into the outer back staying in the crouched position for the OB upright position/spin.

2) He said when I try to control the OB spin Upright with the Right side, I have a tendency to drop the right side and fall off the spin.

2A) When I control the OB Upright with the Left shoulder pulling back, I keep my shoulders level and keep the spin turning square.

Anybody have any feelings on how to control and operate a OB upright spin.

Just curious what others feel when performing the spin.

3) I do feel there is a lot of control with the right foot pressing the RIF edge, then rocking over to the ROB upright spin.

Sincerely

I've been working my outer back upright and sit spins all week and they're coming along nicely. I'll have a video on it soon. I still control the balance of the spin with the right shoulder extending down to the hand. If the left gets twisted too far back the body gets twisted and typically I end up rocking back to the inside edge...Aka spin over.

When the right shoulder/arm/hand presses to control the spin the whole body must move as one to go with it. If you just bend at the waste the right side dips too low and you'll end up falling out of the spin.

I just made a reply to Derrick about the hips. I've learned this week that the hips must stay square to the body. If the left hip is too far forward on the outer back the spin gets choked. If the left hip is too far back the spin will never get started. Square to the shoulder is key for the hips but balance control still goes right shoulder. More coming soon!
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2018, 12:42 PM   #7
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by markwphoto View Post
I've been working my outer back upright and sit spins all week and they're coming along nicely. I'll have a video on it soon. I still control the balance of the spin with the right shoulder extending down to the hand. If the left gets twisted too far back the body gets twisted and typically I end up rocking back to the inside edge...Aka spin over.

When the right shoulder/arm/hand presses to control the spin the whole body must move as one to go with it. If you just bend at the waste the right side dips too low and you'll end up falling out of the spin.

I just made a reply to Derrick about the hips. I've learned this week that the hips must stay square to the body. If the left hip is too far forward on the outer back the spin gets choked. If the left hip is too far back the spin will never get started. Square to the shoulder is key for the hips but balance control still goes right shoulder. More coming soon!
Your video and advice helped me out. I did find that I was planting my performing foot way too heavy on the outside back wheel and trying to start my spin from that position. I get spin but after rocking over, I would drag the back inside wheel and slow the spin, killing revs. Just plain not well over my skate.

I took my non performing arm totally out of the start of the spin. That helps me not flail my arms. But I still fall onto my non-performing foot and jump back into the spin. I get spin but not an elegant entry.

I found a rink buddy thst will get some vid for me.