S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old August 13th, 2018, 01:37 PM   #1
romekjagoda

Default Protective pads for speed skating

I haven't found any threads dealing with this topic specifically for speed skating.
I know falling is part of the game, and I am not afraid to fall. I have been skating with only my helmet and wrist protectors. At the same time, for technical training outdoors or over-speed training protectors can be useful...
In the skate camp I came back from people were using various protectors. I liked the G Form pads the most as they seem to be offering good protection and don't look bulky either.
I wanted to ask if you know any (other) protectors that work for speed i.e. do not limit the movements too much?
romekjagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2018, 02:11 PM   #2
bjvircks
Major Trouble

can you post a link or photo of the G Form pads you mention?

My wife (a massage therapist who depends on her hands/wrists/arms to earn a living) skates with solid wrist braces (like some snowboarders and skateboarders use) and 'solid cup' elbow guards. Nothing on knees or hips. The rest of our small crew skate with just palm slider gloves. And, of course, helmets. One of our guys (now back to Moscow) wore BMX bicycling shorts with stiff foam pads at hips and tailbone.
Old August 13th, 2018, 06:21 PM   #3
ese002

Quote:
Originally Posted by romekjagoda View Post
I haven't found any threads dealing with this topic specifically for speed skating.
I know falling is part of the game, and I am not afraid to fall. I have been skating with only my helmet and wrist protectors. At the same time, for technical training outdoors or over-speed training protectors can be useful...
In the skate camp I came back from people were using various protectors. I liked the G Form pads the most as they seem to be offering good protection and don't look bulky either.
I wanted to ask if you know any (other) protectors that work for speed i.e. do not limit the movements too much?
I'm wary of the g-form pads because of reviews like these:

http://www.skateslate.com/blog/2012/...form-kneepads/
https://www.silverfishlongboarding.c...product-review

As explained in the second review (which is not responding right now) the problem is that the sliding surface is urethane, which is high friction. In a high-speed crash, the pad sticks to the pavement and slides off the knee. You get good impact protection but after the impact, your knee still turns into hamburger.

Finding knee pads suitable for speed that actually work is a forever problem. Most lightweight pads don't work. They are meant to allay the fears of newbie skaters who are barely moving. In any crash with appreciable speed, they will slide off. More advanced skaters are supposed to roll or not fall, I guess.

Pads that do work are mostly made for aggressive and derby skaters. They are heavy, bulky, restrictive, and hot.

In my experience, the best pads for speed (if you can find them) are Lizard Skins Softcell Knee pads

They are out of manufacture but they still pop up on ebay. Unless you are sure you can't get the Small/Medium's on your knees (loosen the straps), don't get the L/XL size. The straps stretch a great deal over the first few months but are stable after that.

Despite the appearance of large size, they don't restrict movement. And they absolutely do not come off in a high-speed fall. Impact protection is light so don't expect to take big drops on these pads.

More available and more protective but also hotter, bulkier, and a little more restrictive are 187 Killer Fly's. Still good anatomical design for freedom of movement.

Triple-8 Street pads get everything right except for one: they aren't shaped like a knee. So, despite being lightweight, they still end up too restrictive.
ese002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 09:02 AM   #4
romekjagoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
can you post a link or photo of the G Form pads you mention?
https://www.extremepie.com/nl-BE/G-F...hoC_3EQAvD_BwE

There are apparently several options (elite, pro; don't know the difference yet).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjvircks View Post
My wife (a massage therapist who depends on her hands/wrists/arms to earn a living) skates with solid wrist braces (like some snowboarders and skateboarders use) and 'solid cup' elbow guards. Nothing on knees or hips. The rest of our small crew skate with just palm slider gloves. And, of course, helmets. One of our guys (now back to Moscow) wore BMX bicycling shorts with stiff foam pads at hips and tailbone.

I also only use solid wrist guards with plastic plate protecting the palm. It saved my skin a couple of times, no doubt. I also use the skiing shorts with pads to protect the hip and the tailbone. However, during the last skate camp that I just came back from I took a spill while doing crossovers in a paceline; I landed the superman style, with my hands/arms stretched in front of me. I would say this is not the worst, got some road rash, but nothing dramatic, yet still elbow/forearm got some of it, the knee a little less. It's always the hips with me that suffer the most, but I don't wear the ski shorts when skating in a pack or group training, only when I go out alone (I am embarassed that people will think of me as overprotective, etc.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ese002 View Post
As explained in the second review (which is not responding right now) the problem is that the sliding surface is urethane, which is high friction. In a high-speed crash, the pad sticks to the pavement and slides off the knee. You get good impact protection but after the impact, your knee still turns into hamburger.
Thanks for the critical points, very relevant.
I spoke to a guy wearing these G Forms; he's a speed skater and very happy with them - he said he no longer notices he has them on. I think he said he took a spill in one of them and trashed them (ripped them apart), but that they did a good job. I will investigate further, for sure. In any case, what I like about the G Forms is that they seem to be inobtrusive and go well / look well with tights used for skating.
I am not sure I really need them as I have a set of cheepo bulky pads that work ok for the elbows, but less so for knees.
romekjagoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2018, 05:34 PM   #5
shesk8

I've seen many of these type pads, at sports retailer trade shows, when they were first hitting the market. While the low volume, high impact padding is a plus, in terms of ergonomics, they are designed primarily for mtb (mount biking/bmx) use, so they have soft pads, that as mentioned above do not slide, but rather stick upon impact. The thin plastics of the G force knee may last 1 or 2 pavement kisses at best before it melts off. It's be awesome if someone in skating industry tweaked this technology and put it to practical use for skaters.

My 2 cents is - while they are less bulky, I dont expect that they will hold up well or really last. Plus, at $59/set of knees, one could purchase a 3pc set of decent RB pads. RB has been trying to scale back the bulk of their pads sets. Though, I do prefer the sleeve idea as it lends a little extra support to the knees in general.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote