S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 13th, 2020, 08:59 AM   #21
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gville-Schooler View Post
Guess they be going For like 3 GRAND now since no body ever really never Said...Sweet Plates!!!
Lol boens are outdated paper weights now ^.^
Old March 13th, 2020, 09:50 AM   #22
Gville-Schooler
THAT'S HOW I ROLL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Lol boens are outdated paper weights now ^.^
Paper weights too what now..
Old March 13th, 2020, 10:10 AM   #23
leshomes

Quote:
Paper weights are outdated ✔️
How about outdated like an Arius Gen 1
Old March 13th, 2020, 01:19 PM   #24
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
HeBeGB made some plates that are much better.

And IMO prolines or arius plates are better

Quote:
Originally Posted by leshomes View Post
Paper weights are outdated ✔️
How about outdated like an Arius Gen 1
I'd always take a gen1 over platinum. Its lighter. My friend uses gen1 trucks in his platinum platinum version didn't fix anything but the toestop boss breaking off. Now the set screw area breaks lol.

With the new trucks I have I think the 186mm wheelbase arius weighs 320g, with a stopper boss , has soft suspension, and is brick solid since the push goes thru a hinge not a cushion. Power transfer and response time are better than any bushing ever will be no matter what ya do to it

Last edited by Mort; March 14th, 2020 at 06:04 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 21st, 2020, 07:35 AM   #25
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default HA

If you think prolines are better than your opionion means nothing..
Old March 21st, 2020, 08:41 PM   #26
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
If you think prolines are better than your opionion means nothing..
Lol ok.

All kingpin plates have the same issues for me. They're mushy and only hold value for outdoor use over what I skate.

Prolines and boens are equally the same. Their parts are even interchangeable. Proline trucks have a cushions that wrap the kingpin in the center of the trucks. Do boens?

Howard skate behaves is heavily dependent on the cushions, their height, ID and OD the retainers/washers, and the yoke platform of the truck.

What measurements do you have for all of those?

Recently I did a modification to a VNLA plate for a kid at the rink and used cushions that perfectly fit what was needed.

To be honest, I'd choose that plate for outdoor use over anything else out there. Plastic dampens vibrations much better. The plate side cushion is very tall, which aids in dampening, the OD I used was slightly larger than the truck yoke, the ID of the cushion matched the kingpins OD , so there was a nice snug fit. Pivots were perfectly centered. My only complaint with that setup was that the kingpin could habe been a smidgen longer.

I used Riptide WFB 78A plate side and 78A SG Yellow cone on the locknut. No retainer on the cone, flat washer on the riptide.

Research is the difference between speculation and investment.

Boen is old news.
Old March 21st, 2020, 11:15 PM   #27
leshomes

Quote:
Lol ok.

All kingpin plates have the same issues for me. They're mushy and only hold value for outdoor use over what I skate.

Prolines and boens are equally the same. Their parts are even interchangeable. Proline trucks have a cushions that wrap the kingpin in the center of the trucks. Do boens?

Howard skate behaves is heavily dependent on the cushions, their height, ID and OD the retainers/washers, and the yoke platform of the truck.

What measurements do you have for all of those?

Recently I did a modification to a VNLA plate for a kid at the rink and used cushions that perfectly fit what was needed.

To be honest, I'd choose that plate for outdoor use over anything else out there. Plastic dampens vibrations much better. The plate side cushion is very tall, which aids in dampening, the OD I used was slightly larger than the truck yoke, the ID of the cushion matched the kingpins OD , so there was a nice snug fit. Pivots were perfectly centered. My only complaint with that setup was that the kingpin could habe been a smidgen longer.

I used Riptide WFB 78A plate side and 78A SG Yellow cone on the locknut. No retainer on the cone, flat washer on the riptide.

Research is the difference between speculation and investment.

Boen is old news.
Just check your facts- I think Boen trucks work on Prolines but Proline trucks donít fit Boens
The cushion ID is the same for Prolines and Boen Specials and Speeds but not for Boen Racings different kingpin.
Prolines are a TS skate which presents problems in locating the front axle. Good luck finding an NTS Proline.

My research only extends to the following in order of preference
HeBeís
Boen Specials + Racingís
Atlas
Wallabies Rivet
Wallabies Cast
Kangaroos
Speedmate Mk2
Flyer 5ís
Sure Grip Super X

Havenít tried the Arius - requires mods to make them work?
Old March 23rd, 2020, 03:39 AM   #28
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Just check your facts- I think Boen trucks work on Prolines but Proline trucks don’t fit Boens
The cushion ID is the same for Prolines and Boen Specials and Speeds but not for Boen Racings different kingpin.
Prolines are a TS skate which presents problems in locating the front axle. Good luck finding an NTS Proline. Flip the plate around, and it can be machined off if one wishes.

My research only extends to the following in order of preference
HeBe’s
Boen Specials + Racing’s
Atlas
Wallabies Rivet
Wallabies Cast
Kangaroos
Speedmate Mk2
Flyer 5’s
Sure Grip Super X

Haven’t tried the Arius - requires mods to make them work?

Not exactly. The mods to make them better and not have wear issues.

Arius is a great plate. Made of shi.te materials. Had mine tested. Was NOT 6061. While it was a decent structural alloy, it was not what was advertised.

As for prolines, the plate side cushion has a raised center portion on it, so the truck cannot contact the kingpin.

If you have access to VNLA plates, you should try one with some of the geometry mods I did to a kids skate using Riptie Canon cushions, but I'd suggest the Krank formulation and to use grease on the truck yoke, and for the nut side cushion a 78A yellow or 85A purple SG cone.

The stock cushions on those plates are ASS. The ID of the cushion is loose on he kingpin, and the OD of them are loose in the truck yoke. Skates like crap until fixed. Which is pretty much any kingpin plate. If you dont have the correct sized bushing, nothings going to work right.

Prolines habe a very good fit. So do venus plates by Crazy skates, they imitate a proline cushion and also fit well into a VNLA skate if you trim the center to an oval shape.

I'm probably going to build a set of outdoor skate from some VNLA plates. Plastic is much nicer for vibration dampening.
Old March 23rd, 2020, 08:51 AM   #29
leshomes

As for prolines, the plate side cushion has a raised center portion on it, so the truck cannot contact the kingpin.
>>nope - flat on the barrel and the cone.
Not sure what cushions you have but they ainít prolines.
Old March 24th, 2020, 06:38 AM   #30
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

If you want to make proline plates better .Put boen trucks on them.Same goes for ultimate 3-4.
And flipping the plate idea is not really a good idea unless you weld up the gap and then chop it...
And i have boens ,prolines,ultimates
Old March 24th, 2020, 07:33 AM   #31
jbgerman

I really like the Sure-Grip Marathon plates. Underrated vintage speed plates.

Quote:
Not exactly. The mods to make them better and not have wear issues.

Arius is a great plate. Made of shi.te materials. Had mine tested. Was NOT 6061. While it was a decent structural alloy, it was not what was advertised.

If you have access to VNLA plates, you should try one with some of the geometry mods I did to a kids skate using Riptie Canon cushions, but I'd suggest the Krank formulation and to use grease on the truck yoke, and for the nut side cushion a 78A yellow or 85A purple SG cone.

The stock cushions on those plates are ASS. The ID of the cushion is loose on he kingpin, and the OD of them are loose in the truck yoke. Skates like crap until fixed. Which is pretty much any kingpin plate. If you dont have the correct sized bushing, nothings going to work right.

Prolines habe a very good fit. So do venus plates by Crazy skates, they imitate a proline cushion and also fit well into a VNLA skate if you trim the center to an oval shape.

I'm probably going to build a set of outdoor skate from some VNLA plates. Plastic is much nicer for vibration dampening.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2020, 09:30 AM   #32
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
If you want to make proline plates better .Put boen trucks on them.Same goes for ultimate 3-4.
And flipping the plate idea is not really a good idea unless you weld up the gap and then chop it...
And i have boens ,prolines,ultimates
Why do you believe the boen truck is better?

Quote:
>>nope - flat on the barrel and the cone.
Not sure what cushions you have but they ain’t prolines.
I don't know. They're yellow IIRC, it's on my work bench I'll look sometime soo . I may be wrong, or they could have been crushed to just look that way from the previous owner. I didnt buy them new so who knows what's in it.

Last edited by Mort; March 24th, 2020 at 11:12 AM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2020, 09:29 AM   #33
leshomes

Quote:
Why do you believe the boen truck is better?

I don't know. They're yellow IIRC, it's on my work bench I'll look sometime soo . I may be wrong, or they could have been crushed to just look that way from the previous owner. I didnt buy them new so who knows what's in it.
Original Cushions white, black & red?
New Cushions, green, blue & orange?
Old March 26th, 2020, 05:33 AM   #34
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Original Cushions white, black & red?
New Cushions, green, blue & orange?
Mine are yellowish, not the faded white kinda yellow either.

I'll make a post about it on FB when I got time.
Old May 10th, 2020, 01:38 AM   #35
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Quote:
Why do you believe the boen truck is better?.
Boen trucks are the best.Better quality, stronger axels.Super light.Ok they had issues with the odd cracked 1s .But still strong.The pivot pin extends all the way to the axel .So really the alloy is just holding it together.
Old May 18th, 2020, 06:58 AM   #36
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Boen trucks are the best.Better quality, stronger axels.Super light.Ok they had issues with the odd cracked 1s .But still strong.The pivot pin extends all the way to the axel .So really the alloy is just holding it together.
Unless you've pressed out both boen and proline axles and put them on destructive testing equipment or at the very least a spectrometer you're essentially blowing smoke out of your ass.

Proline pivot pins also go all the way to the axle and are positioned into a notch on it. Which also makes it virtually impossible to press the axle out or for the axle to ever become loose.
Old May 20th, 2020, 10:30 PM   #37
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Default This is from Doc

One other thing Wes.
Don't be surprised if at some point you push a "bent" axle out of a Pro Line truck, only to find out it is the housing that is bent. I have put "bent" axles in the lathe and found them to be perfectly straight. Needless to say, I was not pleased with the appearance of the replaced axle in the truck.

Between hammered pivot cups (some hammered through), bent axles and truck housings not to mention busted king pins... I am still quite perplexed by the folks that claim Pro Lines are bullet proof.

BTW. I have swapped Boen axles (a customer did not want flips....go figure ) and when I pushed the axles out there was no spline or evidence of the little nub in the axle. I am fairly certain those housings were heated to fit the axles.

Impressive as always Wes.
Old May 22nd, 2020, 04:44 AM   #38
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

That doesn't make your claim that a boen axle is superior to a proline axle true.

Nor does it make a boen truck better than a proline truck.
Old May 23rd, 2020, 05:07 PM   #39
wired

Smile

Quote:
Nor does it make a boen truck better than a proline truck.
Send me all the Boen trucks you have and I'll trade you 1 for 1 so you can have the "superior" ProLines!

After all you want the best