S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 29th, 2018, 09:44 AM   #1
JerryR708

Default PVC Trainers White Picket Fence..CRASH!

Sunday night I brought my wife to Holiday Skate Center. The place was busier than usual so I skated slower and holding hands with my wife. The floor thinned out a little for the moment and I turned myself loose from my wife. Shortly after a young girl about 13 took me by my hand and decided that she wanted to skate with me a while. She said that her name was Amanda and that she had been taking skating lessons on Saturdays. She was in the advanced class and she skated very good and suggested I join.

Amanda finally unlatched and I was able to put myself in turbo which I like to do before I leave to get my exercise. I was speeding around the corner with long extended crossovers to launch me fast into the straight-away. In a blink of an eye, two PVC Trainers with young kids closed in on me to form what looked like a white picket fence across the rink. I had nowhere to go because the trainers had taken my only clear pathway between a wall of people to my left and to my right.

As soon as my knee barely touched the fence, I leaped over head first and did a roll and tumble to prevent anything from breaking. I saw disco lights and people going around in circles as I was tumbling. I heard my brand new Riedell Raven skates slamming and clunking and sliding and scraping across the wood floor. I completed the roll and tumble and managed to get myself quickly back on my skates in almost a stunt like act while wobbling and continuing going forward. And here comes Amanda skating quickly up to me to see if I was ok and giving me a high five with a look like OMG this old man must be SuperMan or something because he should have broken in pieces and hauled off in a stretcher.

I was scared to see what my boots looked like when I returned to the bench to remove them. I noticed that both toes of my boots were scuffed up. It looked like burnt marks from sliding on the wooded floor. I was so bummed out about my new skates. If I had toe guards on, they would have been saved. I'm already looking into getting me some new skates and these will now be my stunt devil skates.

I worked out with weights most of my life, so basically, muscle was bouncing around and cushioning my fall. I was just concerned about the young girls safety behind the long PVC fence and did not want to collide with them. I did what I had to do to make sure nobody got hurt. ( What I would like to do is haul off all those @*!* trainers to the dump at no charge to make sure nobody else gets hurt ) I just need to stop skating recklessly and be more responsible where kids are concerned...to be honest. Lesson learned.
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2018, 10:55 PM   #2
jotson

That's an amazing stunt. Too bad the rink can't give you a video of it. Glad you are OK; you can still get the toe protectors and cover the scuffs - problem solved.

I'm lucky enough to have 3 possible Adult nights a week with a 1/2 hour drive. No fence problems.
jotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #3
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

you won't see the PVC POSs going away anytime soon. They're a money maker for rinks, as they usually charge a decent amount ($5) for a period of time, not the whole session.

I agree that they are a serious hazard. That's why when I skate public sessions, I usually do adult nights, 18+ years of age. You won't see them at these sessions.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2018, 08:06 PM   #4
Derrick

Default Skates will eventually scuff and wear

Just the life of a well loved skate.