S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 11th, 2018, 09:11 AM   #1
JerryR708

Default Wheel lettering: Flaking / rubbing off

I absolutely love how comfortable my Riedell Raven skates are. With each session, they just get better and better. After just 3 skating sessions, I noticed the wheel lettering is just flaking off in different areas. Also, the lettering is rubbing off where the bearing grease has made contact. Does the lettering come off of all skate wheels? Should I clean and apply decal clear coat over the wheel lettering? I love lettering on every thing wheels and tires, even on trucks and classic cars. I'm disappointed that I can't parade my new skates all over the rink without the wheels looking old and used up in a matter of 3 sessions.
I transport my skates without rubbing each other, I don't fall or hit walls.

Any tips and suggestions anybody or am I just being to hard on myself? I must have OCD or something because I even wanted the box my skates came in to be crisp without looking like it fell off of a delivery truck.

Last edited by JerryR708; November 11th, 2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: forgot question mark
JerryR708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2018, 11:03 PM   #2
Slinkydog

It's completely normal for wheels to discolor, and for lettering and decals to come off. It happens to pretty much any wheel, but like you said, you could probably apply something to slow the process, however I've never tried anything like that.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2018, 05:57 PM   #3
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default Good luck.

The vast majority of sk8 wheel art is pad printed on. The ink / paint does not flex like the wheels and it pops off. Putting something over the surface may help but I fear it will just all come off @ once when the adhesion fails behind thew printed logo.
Old November 13th, 2018, 07:44 PM   #4
FanJet8
Shadow Sk8r

A little acetone and a rag and just clean off all the graphics and skate em' like you stole em'.
FanJet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2018, 09:19 PM   #5
Tislord

They also make wheels which are imprinted or cut into or raised imprint so it will not go away...here is a sample coming soon from Scott Corey...

Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 04:39 AM   #6
PRFunky

Default Wicked Scott Corey!

That's the first time I've ever seen Wicked Scotts close enough
to see the lettering ~ hilarious! As for the printing coming off of
other wheels; I've not noticed any wheels where the printing
stays on particularly well. Generally, I wait until they are down
to 50% or less print remaining and then grab a bottle of 90%
isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel to dispose of any remaining.
I think my Sure-grip Fugitives look better without anyhow =
nothing but green wheels with black hubs ~ delicious!!
PRFunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14th, 2018, 05:11 PM   #7
JerryR708

I decided to try clear coating my wife's wheel lettering since she only used her skates once and lettering is still new. I wiped them down with soap and damp rag. I brushed on Rust-oleum Painters Touch 2X Clear Gloss with 2 coats. I painted the whole side wall to seal the gold Varsity USA lettering. They are now cured and look like they have that wet tire dressing look. I might swap out my wheels for my wife's now.

I love the Wicked Scott's raised lettering. I would take a small brush and accent them with some enamel paint to really make them stand out. I also like the deep stamped lettering as well. You can fill the recesses with paint and wipe off the excess a lot easier.

I bought Riedell Toe protectors for my Ravens. I meticulously painted the logo red, white, blue and silver with leather paint and it looks like it was done in the factory. I'm thinking about painting the tongue logo the same way since it turned out so good. The logo on my Ravens is just all black and you can hardly see it in low light. Somebody at the rink said to us; "I see that the wife gets the Riedells." No I didn't put better wheels on my Chicago skates from Dicks :-/

Last edited by JerryR708; November 14th, 2018 at 05:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Old November 16th, 2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRFunky View Post
That's the first time I've ever seen Wicked Scotts close enough
to see the lettering ~ hilarious! As for the printing coming off of
other wheels; I've not noticed any wheels where the printing
stays on particularly well. Generally, I wait until they are down
to 50% or less print remaining and then grab a bottle of 90%
isopropyl alcohol and a paper towel to dispose of any remaining.
I think my Sure-grip Fugitives look better without anyhow =
nothing but green wheels with black hubs ~ delicious!!
This is a new mold, that's why no one has really seen it that much.

Also, any wheel cut down in width won't have the lettering either.

It would be cool if Scott did 2 color urethane to make those letters pop. obviously hard I'm sure.
Old November 21st, 2018, 08:17 PM   #9
JerryR708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
The vast majority of sk8 wheel art is pad printed on. The ink / paint does not flex like the wheels and it pops off. Putting something over the surface may help but I fear it will just all come off @ once when the adhesion fails behind thew printed logo.
You were right. My first session at the rink and the clear coat and lettering were flaking off. A little acetone with rag and the clear coat and letters should come off. Now I can skate like I stole them as FanJet8 suggested.. instead of tippy toeing around..:-)

Last edited by JerryR708; November 21st, 2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
wheel lettering, wheels