S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old July 8th, 2018, 02:50 PM   #1
Ancient1

Default Regionals and Nationals Reports and Updates

Hi Everyone,

I am constantly checking to see any updates from those of you competing. Please feel free to put you results, comments and updates in here.

I know Larry said he is competing. I await his results and any other comments from him.
Old July 10th, 2018, 04:28 AM   #2
larryoracing

Smile Thanks Jim, Here is a link to all Regional Competitions.

http://skating.styma.org/2017-2018/meets.shtml

Dear Jim,

I'm interested too...lol! I really had a good year. As my pro said "this/that represents two years of hard work"...lol Which is really a true statement regarding my placements.

I got two firsts. In figures believe it or not. You can skate one division and challenge the next higher. I won in Bronze Figures, Div 2 (50-64 years old), challenged/competed in the next higher division, which is Silver and won that one also. Although there was only three contestants in each divisions. I had not beat those people before, so I was pretty excited about the placements...lol! They also gave these really big trophies for 1st place. I got to take home some really big trophies...lol! They also gave these really nice and big metals for each placement....1st, 2nd and 3rd.

In Dance Solo, there were a few more contestants (12 contestants) and really I was quite excited about my placement. I got second. It really felt good to beat all those in Southern California and only one girl beat me in the Northern Part and other States. She got 1st.

They don't give trophies for 2nd, but the 2nd place metal means a lot to me. I had beat the 1st place girl in a Invitational 2 weeks before.

I also challenged the next higher division and really did quite well. But for the first time in my life, the last two years...I blanked out and forgot the steps to one of the three dances. I got a score of 19-100 for forgetting the steps in that one dance...lol!. In the other two dances did quite well, but came in last place overall. There were only 5 contestants, but I was proud to score higher than some of the contestants in the 2 and 3rd dances. They were really good skaters. Some have been skating almost their whole lives.

Sincerely,

Larry O
larryoracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2018, 10:21 AM   #3
Ancient1

Default Fantastic

Hi Larry,
You made my day. Thanks so very much. Yes winning in Calif is a big deal and placing first in more than one event is even a bigger deal. I understand going blank on steps. I did it my first freestyle competition (right at the end).

I guess solo dance has to be worse since you can't rely on a partner to give clues in stepping and leaning and turning if you go blank, but it does happen. What dance was it by the way?

Thanks so very much for the update on your event. Thanks for the events in the other regionals.
Old July 10th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #4
rwsz

Congratulations Larry, its all coming back to you now , good luck at nationals
Old July 11th, 2018, 03:40 AM   #5
larryoracing

Smile Jim, another link to age/divisions and dances:

http://skatedancediagrams.weebly.com...ive-dance.html

Jim the Dance was the "Luna Blues". Although I have skated this dance for the last two years, I watched a fellow skater and I got confused when my turn to skate came up. I learned a valuable lesson. Skate your own dance and for me, do not look at other skaters before you dance...lol!

For Rick, I have to admit this year was kind of a lot of fun, because I could challenge myself to harder dances, at the same time compete with the easier ones. The funny thing is, it is not that easy to skate these easier dances...lol!

They all become hard when you try to skate them to a higher level.

I'm really looking forward to see, just how good I can skate at this year Nationals. I of course will keep you posted...lol!

Sincerely,

Larry Otani
Old July 11th, 2018, 08:52 AM   #6
Ancient1

Hi Larry,
I have only seen half of these dances as best guess. So many new dances since I skated decades ago. I love the pattern of the Luna Blues with BIG LOBES. Never saw that dance but I bet it is beautiful.

Yes, I can see where someone else doing something a little different with style may confuse a person. Mistakes happen but the best skaters take the mistakes and use them as teaching moments and add it to their experience. Seems like you did just that.

Best of luck at Nationals.
Old July 11th, 2018, 12:41 PM   #7
larryoracing

Smile Yeah, Jim thanks for the kind comments...lol!

Another video link to the Luna Blues:

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...na+Blues+dance

The Luna Blues is a beautiful dance. And you hit it on the Barrel Head, that that dance has huge big center lobes. You can also make the barrier lobes huge also, but most people tone them down a lot and I personally think that detracts from the beauty of the Dance.

Most dances today are forward dances, and people generally skate the dances big/big lobes, with as much power as they can. I think that is one of the big differences today, is that they skate the dance bigger today than 40 year ago and like I said most Adult Dances are Forward skating dances. The turnaround dances are saved for Division 1, Gold class and "Classic" skating divisions, which I think is there to emulate the dances of years gone by...backward turnaround dances.

Sincerely,

Larry O

P.S. I think skating today is a lot of fun and I also know it takes a lot of hard work to get these dances to look well when skating them.
Old July 13th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #8
Ancient1

Larry,
Thanks for the vids. I loved the turn dances. I felt most comfortable on the Mirror Waltz. I favored the Fascination Fox Trot over the Border Blues even though they were both border and they felt so much alike. I guess I liked the 3 turn in the Fascination. The dance I think is the most beautiful is the Imperial Waltz.

I miss the dancing and I loved them so much with a good partner.
Old July 13th, 2018, 11:30 PM   #9
Nostalgic

My personal favorite was the Flirtation especially if I had a partner to skate it with. I think the most beautiful, if there are a lot of people skating it, is the Continental although watching a good team skate the Viennese is great too.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2018, 12:29 AM   #10
Ancient1

I agree that the Flirtation is very beautiful
Old July 14th, 2018, 03:26 AM   #11
larryoracing

Smile I can't say I know the Continental, but.... I do

Know the International. I don't know the Viennese, but I'm sure I watched it at Regionals when they had Jr. and Sr. Dance teams.

Now, I do know the Flirtation. And I have to admit that is a lot of fun to skate, although I have only skated it once with a girl, but it was fun...lol!

The Imperial Waltz is a unique Dance. Many say they like that dance. I don't know why? I always thought it was kind of a funny Dance. Not many steps, a lot of floor to cover and a odd combination of fast and slow steps...lol! And don't forget the Three turns. That must be it, everybody like letting the girl do a three turn under his arm...lol! Ok, it was a fun dance!...lol!

Now, the Border Blues and Fascination Foxtrot, as well as the Mirror Waltz...old stand by Sophomore Team Dances. Yeah, I have to admit I like the Fascination Foxtrot Three turn, but what about that Delicado and somewhere down the line we did the Chase Waltz or Siesta, or Southland swing at those local events...lol! We called those type of competitions Jr. Novice...lol

Anyways they don't do to many of those Dances in team, but there is a lot of Solo Sophomore Dance skaters...mainly girls and they are very beautiful and fun to watch.

Hope to post some videos some day. Just running out of time...lol!

Sincerely,

Larry O and Nationals is just two weeks away. Where does all the time go????
Old July 20th, 2018, 01:56 PM   #12
markwphoto

Hey All,

Off to Nationals later today! I've had an amazing year and hope to finish it out strong. At the South West Regionals I did very well. I took first in Loops, Figures, and Freestyle for Freshman/Sophmore B. I skated one of my best freestyle routines in competition this year. I had some really good competition and I have to thank the young guys for letting the old man skate with them.

Good luck to those going to Nationals and make the last one of the season count!
markwphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2018, 06:15 PM   #13
Ancient1

Hi Mark,
Best of luck. I envy you. Let us know what happens.
Old July 21st, 2018, 12:40 AM   #14
Nostalgic

Good luck Mark. Are there going to be any videos coming?
Old July 21st, 2018, 12:04 PM   #15
rwsz

Good luck Mark, Larry and everybody else at nationals. have fun, the most important thing.
Old July 26th, 2018, 02:32 AM   #16
larryoracing

Smile Thanks everybody!

I found this link for the results of this years Nationals as they get posted.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Roller-S...urrent-Results

I looked up the placements of a few people I knew and a few people I wanted to know...lol! And even some from this Webpage. It's looks like there is a lot of stiff competition out there????? Well, I guess it is Nationals...right???

Anyways I know who Marksphoto is but I don't think I ever formally introduced myself, because I only saw him and his wife at the last competition of the year..."Invitational" and the South West Pacific Regionals. I hope to watch him skate next year. Have never watched him skate, but he and his wife were sitting next to me at Regionals....lol!

One thing we are all doing is trying to get some last minute fixes to our Dances and figures...lol! My pro was already at Nationals, so I kind of had to look for a new pro this last week before traveling to Nationals.

I was amazed "Bob" found some things in my Dance that made a major breakthrough in my Solo Dance. I just hope it works at Nationals. I think with just a few major changes I could have a shot to win or do well.

Well, I know I will have fun. But this is my second year going to Nationals and I'm really starting to feel the pressure...lol

Sincerely,

Larry O and God Bless!...lol
Old August 2nd, 2018, 03:05 AM   #17
Slinkydog

I just got back from my first year at nationals, placing 1st in Freshman/Sophomore B pairs, 2nd in F/S B freeskating, 20th in F/S B solo dance (what a tough event!), 5th in F/S B team dance, and while I placed first in my F/S B elimination figures, I dropped down to 4th place on the final 3 figures due to nerves combined with figure 8A . It was nice actually getting to skate against a bunch of other people (except for the figure event, if only it was a final lol), especially because there are almost no boys in my region (Southwest) to skate against. I can't wait to skate F/S A events next year, there's lots of work to be done but it will be fun.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2018, 03:09 AM   #18
Ancient1

Congrats Slinky D.,

You should see the smile on my face. Glad you got first in pairs and second in free style. Way to go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkydog View Post
I just got back from my first year at nationals, placing 1st in Freshman/Sophomore B pairs, 2nd in F/S B freeskating, 20th in F/S B solo dance (what a tough event!), 5th in F/S B team dance, and while I placed first in my F/S B elimination figures, I dropped down to 4th place on the final 3 figures due to nerves combined with figure 8A . It was nice actually getting to skate against a bunch of other people (except for the figure event, if only it was a final lol), especially because there are almost no boys in my region (Southwest) to skate against. I can't wait to skate F/S A events next year, there's lots of work to be done but it will be fun.
Old August 2nd, 2018, 10:39 AM   #19
Nostalgic

congratulations
Old August 2nd, 2018, 11:20 AM   #20
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinkydog View Post
nice congratulations and best of luck going forward and moving up