S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:01 AM   #41
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
Does not appear to be...
Looks straight ahead to me..
well that makes me a little sad.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 01:06 AM   #42
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Thanks DocSk8,

You're most welcome...

Yes, You answered my questions. You could have even said it was proprietary (kidding, yet you know)

Not quite that secret. Actually I spend a lot of time initially getting my feet to understand what is on them and I just do that by sk8ing..

I was interested because I have never seen written what moves to use for how to initially fine tune your skate adjustments for Derby Skating. I know how to do it for regular skating and was interested.

OK that part is easy. When I build sk8s for new DA45 sk8rs I put the purple cushions on and adjust them all to zero lash. Then I hand them to the sk8r... When they get back to me we either tighten or change to a softer cone.. In the rare instance I build a Sub 20 sk8 I use a similar approach.. Many times I can pick up what they are on currently and closely match the new sk8s to the old ones..

Recently I have seen a few derby guys on a new plate muck around (which is the normal adjustment process. The hard lateral or block move is one they seem to give a go.

I think it all depends on what the sk8r wants from their sk8s.. Do they favor agility over speed or speed over agility. Do they want a balance of the two??

Heel
^
is kind of where I see this mount. Under the heel to a bit back. A very stable position, and good for going up on the heels skating.

Heel
---^
Forward of the heel so you could hit your head if you stood up really tall.

Like I mentioned previously it is not as far forward as I usually run them.. I know that because when I lift the front wheel it takes a little more work to get it up.. Soon they will go forward..

Again Thanks. BTW been hitting the tip of my elbow recently on doorways, and figure I am moving too fast and not paying attention.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Next time you are down this way, please make an effort to come visit. We can commiserate on the advancing frailties of old age.. When I'm not falling down I'm dropping stuff. Tools, screws king pins (a short list from earlier this evening.. )
Old March 4th, 2013, 06:08 AM   #43
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Cool I hear ya!

Quote:
When I'm not falling down I'm dropping stuff. Tools, screws king pins )
I spend fully half of my shop time bending over to pick stuff up. Generally more than once. I usually quit when I whack my head on something.
Old March 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM   #44
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Default So I Got To Try...

Doc was kind enough to let me sk8 them...

1 word... SOLID. Okay, 2 words... SOLID and LIGHT, especially on a Bont .

I also got to try them head to head with an Advantage. Ummm... needs more testing. I skated Doc's Advantage, which is tricked out with all the Ti goodies, but it was on a much different boot, which was not as comfy as the Bont.

Initially though, I still preferred the way the Advantage sk8ed for the "fun factor," as it was more maneuverable, but I want to skate it again against my Advantage, which is a little more "out of the box." They're waiting to be mounted again. It's hard to beat a Snyder.

All that said, the Falcon Plus is a really nice plate. It felt solid and sturdy, despite being remarkably light. If I were shopping for a plate in that category, I would definitely consider it, especially considering the price.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #45
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaskates View Post
Doc was kind enough to let me sk8 them...

1 word... SOLID. Okay, 2 words... SOLID and LIGHT, especially on a Bont .

Good way to put it..

I also got to try them head to head with an Advantage. Ummm... needs more testing. I skated Doc's Advantage, which is tricked out with all the Ti goodies,

and Super cushions which may be the real improvement in the fun factor...

but it was on a much different boot, which was not as comfy as the Bont.

The boot is a pre Skunk 395. That is saying a lot for the Bonts...

I am a bit perplexed by this. Seems there is way more influence in the feel of the total sk8 from the boot than I had realized, especially in this case.. I believe the Advantages will have a Bont in their future sooner than later..

Initially though, I still preferred the way the Advantage sk8ed for the "fun factor," as it was more maneuverable, but I want to skate it again against my Advantage, which is a little more "out of the box." They're waiting to be mounted again. It's hard to beat a Snyder.

True that.

All that said, the Falcon Plus is a really nice plate. It felt solid and sturdy, despite being remarkably light. If I were shopping for a plate in that category, I would definitely consider it, especially considering the price.

More on the Bont Falcon + combo.

First, I screwed up the weight. They are not as heavy as posted initially. I will photo the scale to make sure I get it right this time..

Second. It is definitely possible to install the click nut upside down.. Not a good thing...

Third. The king pin is still too short... Seriously, they need to be 5 threads or so longer..

Last. Contrary to the advertising, they sk8 just fine short forward. I have moved the plates to the other end of the slots and am even happier with the performance..

Photos when it warms up again.. ..Lyin' dam gopher
Old March 23rd, 2013, 12:39 AM   #46
NorCal03

Default Punxsutawney Phil

Don't know what Doc is going on about...the King of the Groundhogs seems to have been spot on - I know it is 70 degrees and sunny right now. (For you aussies it is about 21 degrees celsius)
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM   #47
pavement

Definitely no shortage of good weather here in Cali......
Old March 26th, 2013, 08:42 AM   #48
Poobah

Quote:
1) No assembly or adjustment instructions.. Didn't bother me but I'll bet some folks might scratch their heads... Instructions for adjusting pivots on an adjustable pivot pin truck is really an essential thing..
To be perfectly fair: They're not the first to have done that, or at least they're not the first that maybe has some and forgets to include 'em? I've never gotten a set of instructions saying how to adjust pivot pins. I think I did get a small piece of paper saying it was important to do so. Uh, that was really helpful...
Poobah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 04:03 AM   #49
Gorilla

Has anyone with these had problems with the king pin? People who are considering these plates have expressed concerns about the end near the lock screw.

I am NOT saying there is a problem, just a concern..
Gorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:27 AM   #50
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poobah View Post
To be perfectly fair: They're not the first to have done that,

I believe ya.

or at least they're not the first that maybe has some and forgets to include 'em?

Only get 1 chance to make a first impression..

I've never gotten a set of instructions saying how to adjust pivot pins.

Odd, I have Roll Line and Snyder instructions..

I think I did get a small piece of paper saying it was important to do so. Uh, that was really helpful...
I agree wholeheartedly..
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:28 AM   #51
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
Has anyone with these had problems with the king pin? People who are considering these plates have expressed concerns about the end near the lock screw.

I am NOT saying there is a problem, just a concern..

Care to clarify?? What exactly is the concern??
Old April 8th, 2013, 02:13 PM   #52
skate mech

Quote:

Care to clarify?? What exactly is the concern??
I will hazard a guess that the concern is the machined portion at the top of the KP may end up getting damaged somehow.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2013, 05:14 PM   #53
Gorilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by skate mech View Post
I will hazard a guess that the concern is the machined portion at the top of the KP may end up getting damaged somehow.
Specifically, the threads.

Forgive me for being vague. I did not want to bash the product when there is a very good chance that the problem was user error. Basically, one person I know "stripped the threads" where the lock nut goes. His issue has several potential buyers worried.

I have not seen the damage for myself. I suspect it was user error due to the king pin not being a little longer.

I am getting these plates for myself today... in fact, i think the UPS truck already came! I wanted to know if this issue is something I should be concerned about.
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:49 PM   #54
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorilla View Post
Specifically, the threads.

Forgive me for being vague. I did not want to bash the product when there is a very good chance that the problem was user error. Basically, one person I know "stripped the threads" where the lock nut goes. His issue has several potential buyers worried.

Yeah, calling out a sk8r FU as a manufacturing defect would not be a smooth thing to do..

I have not seen the damage for myself. I suspect it was user error due to the king pin not being a little longer.

I am getting these plates for myself today... in fact, i think the UPS truck already came! I wanted to know if this issue is something I should be concerned about.
Depends on where you like your action to be set. I am speculating the manufacturer never dreamed anyone would not want the action locked down tight.

I have had no mechanical issues with the king pins, and I have been using those nuts.... Exercise caution and don't go any further than about 1 turn past flush in the loose direction. I typically sk8 mine there..

Have fun. I think they sk8 very nicely...
Old April 8th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #55
Gorilla

Quote:
Depends on where you like your action to be set. I am speculating the manufacturer never dreamed anyone would not want the action locked down tight.

I have had no mechanical issues with the king pins, and I have been using those nuts.... Exercise caution and don't go any further than about 1 turn past flush in the loose direction. I typically sk8 mine there..

Have fun. I think they sk8 very nicely...
Now that I actually have a set of these plates in my hands, I can say that the problem reported was DEFINITELY USER ERROR.

I think a few more threads may have been nice, but I am pleased with the build quality. Hopefully I will get them built in time to skate them tonight.
Old October 12th, 2013, 05:39 PM   #56
Salamanda

What are they like in comparison to a Roll Line Variant or Mistral?
Old October 13th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #57
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salamanda View Post
What are they like in comparison to a Roll Line Variant or Mistral?
Sk8ing feel wise, (as in handling) very similar. sk8ing feel wise, (as in mass) I cannot say since I don't have any Roll Lines on Bonts. Maybe one of these days.
Old November 24th, 2018, 05:34 AM   #58
snailmont5oh

Default .

Post deleted.
snailmont5oh is offline   Reply With Quote