S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old February 27th, 2013, 12:51 AM   #21
cojaco61
Locutus of QUORG!

Maybe a hacksaw might come in handy to get rid of that chunk at the front
cojaco61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:38 AM   #22
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Thumbs up Rolled them this evening.. WOW!!

I want to preface this. I am running on 5 or 6 out of 8 at the moment. I fell last week, slipped on who knows what in the shop and once again wacked up my right leg.. Jeez I seem to fall more walking than sk8ing lately.. WTF?? (NOTE: Left leg is fine..)

OK...... you have seen the pix, now for a bit of set up discussion and a couple of numbers.. All 8 cushions are 80-81A on my durometer.. Pleasantly surprised at the consistency there. I know some much more expensive plates that have cushions that are about +/-2.5 for any given set..

So I clicked all 4 adjusters in 4 clicks, adjusted the pivot pins and off I went... (I have not touched the adjustment since) As soon as I stood up I was feeling something special under foot..

These babies are smooth and nimble.. and this set of cushions has very impressive rebound.. Impressive enough that I only missed the snap from my DA45s a little and not enough to get me to switch out this session... (Frank and a pair of Ultimate Imperials were standing by but neither pair got the call tonite.. ) 2 1/2 hours later I was still smiling...

Very very impressive for a sub 20į King pin..

Retail in the SeSS catalog is 300.00 Several plates costing more had best look to their heels because these sk8s are hot on 'em and may have caught a couple already..

Next week they will go head to head with my hot rod Advantages which seem to be about as close as I can get in wheel base. (both 6.25) king pin angle (1 degree difference) and cushion diameter (both 1" class). I may toss in my 160 Giottos too.... if I'm healthy enough...

OK, some minor complaints that I think are too important to let slide.

1) No assembly or adjustment instructions.. Didn't bother me but I'll bet some folks might scratch their heads... Instructions for adjusting pivots on an adjustable pivot pin truck is really an essential thing.. I'm thinking it may be possible to put he click nut on upside down, I'll have to double check that... But, if it can be, Murphy is out there waiting to make that happen.. If folks cannot tell the difference between a micrometer adjustment and click action, then it's best to school them right out of the box..

2) No mounting instructions.. Both the Power Trac and the Pro Line had them back in the day... If the manufacturer thinks a particular mounting style will show off the plates positive qualities the best light, shouldn't the "411" on how to mount them be included ??

Think I'm being funny..or overly critical?? Don't kid yourself. I have seen sk8rs on things set up way worse and them wondering why their sk8s are not working properly or worse, falling apart..

3) Now, the king pin:

First off, it has no self locking feature.. That in and of itself is not a deal breaker however, when combined with the 2 flat style king pin it becomes an issue... Roll Line uses that style of king pin on their high end plates. They also sell a pricy tool to remove and install them.. It makes those tasks much simpler and the tool minimizes the chances of damaging the flats. Too bad the flats are 11/16 and not 17mm, I could use the Roll Line wrench.. That said I have a couple of 11/16 wrenches that have round throats in them that contact the king pin fully on both flats and the a side in between.. This wrench made for a very satisfactory installation of the king pins.. So no harm, no foul... but I had the right tools. I doubt many folks will..

Well then, why all the noise?? Simple. I bunged up my share of Roll Line king pins using a 17mm open end back in the day. ( I have seen sk8 room "workers" with Vise Grips and Channel Locks...) That's why I coughed up for Roll Line's wrench..

Next, but probably way more important, the king pin is too short.. Remember I said 4 clicks in. That leaves me with one or 2 threads not engaged in the click nut.. If it was for me to say, I would have a thread showing at one click, just to be safe.

OK back to the instructions.. Explaining how the click action works and where the minimum safe tension point is would be a good safety tip..kinda like not crossing the streams...

I will sk8 these for a few more weeks and then pull them back down for weights and photos of the various bits.. I'll also measure the threads and post them in my forum in the thread sticky.. May even find some Frankenplate options?? I love to mix this stuff up...

Score so far??

***** 5 stars for performance. I can hardly wait till I'm 100% again...
*** 3 stars for decent packaging but lack of instructions. Easy fix here.
** 2 stars for the shaky king pin. That could be a real easy fix as well.. but it definitely needs looking into..

All in all, I am really quite surprised.. There are NOT what I expected... Fix a few small things and these could actually live up to the advertising.. Wow!! Did I just type that?? Yes, I did.... I may have eaten a crow or 2 before I'm done, but that is fine by me... There seems to be some magic in there, I just have to tease the source out..
Old February 28th, 2013, 04:49 AM   #23
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Great honest review Doc! I really liked the KP angle from looking at the pics and that got my attention initially. Durability would be next in line for me. To achieve such a high dollar is a bit of a stretch, IMO, to hang with the likes of Snyder and Roll Line, but hey .. if it works it works.
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #24
NorCal03

Is this not just a standard set of Luigino Pilot F-16 Quad Plates? Didnít see anywhere in the threat that the plate information was released

I did, also, really enjoy the review. A good structured review is quite helpful. I personally think it is a nice looking plate (even with the bit at the end)

Questions:
I like the fact that it isnít a 5 degree or even a DA45, but will it handle larger wheels like Scotts Deanos or maybe even some outdoor 70mm?
Could it be fitted with 7mm flips?
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:50 AM   #25
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
Is this not just a standard set of Luigino Pilot F-16 Quad Plates?

Falcon + with adjustable pivot trucks. The Falcon does not have adjustable pivots.

Didnít see anywhere in the threat that the plate information was released

I'm not following

I did, also, really enjoy the review. A good structured review is quite helpful. I personally think it is a nice looking plate (even with the bit at the end)

gotta have it for derby, at least in it's target market.

Questions:
I like the fact that it isnít a 5 degree or even a DA45, but will it handle larger wheels like Scotts Deanos or maybe even some outdoor 70mm?

I'll have to check. But since I'm not a fan of quads outdoors I won't be in a rush either..

Could it be fitted with 7mm flips?
All the trucks have 8mm axles.. Since the trucks are forged the axles may press out. I'm not even going there until I can get spares..
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:02 AM   #26
NorCal03

Thanks Doc, had read somewhere that the Pilot plate were going to be all 8mm but figured since your review is trending quite positive I might as well go ahead and open the Ďmodificationí door we all know is coming.

Hey if is is as good of a base platform as it seems to be so far (will do great things) then why not ĎSkate Log ití into a modified beast.
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:00 PM   #27
Kennedy
Go fast, turn left

Good review. Almost makes me want to try a pair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
May even find some Frankenplate options?? I love to mix this stuff up...
Somewhere on Facebook, there was mention the plate is a cross of a Whip and a Boen. Hmmmm. Could we have a source for Whip forged trucks with adjustable pivot pins? If they fit Whips, they might fit a bunch of other Italian plates, new and old.
Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
Somewhere on Facebook, there was mention the plate is a cross of a Whip and a Boen. Hmmmm. Could we have a source for Whip forged trucks with adjustable pivot pins? If they fit Whips, they might fit a bunch of other Italian plates, new and old.
When I saw that I was wondering if they actually meant the American Whip plates built by Black Diamond or WIP the Italian plates? Oh well.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #29
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

i hope to see these in person. but if the kp is that short, ill probably pass until that is fixed.
elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:37 PM   #30
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by elemental View Post
i hope to see these in person. but if the kp is that short, ill probably pass until that is fixed.
Does this mean I need to drag them to the home opener??
Old February 28th, 2013, 05:40 PM   #31
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

Quote:
Does this mean I need to drag them to the home opener??
have is a strong word . i will be there all day to skate/relax before my game. im sure i can catch up with the plate sometime. im super curious as to how it compares to the advantage.
Old February 28th, 2013, 06:34 PM   #32
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
have is a strong word . i will be there all day to skate/relax before my game. im sure i can catch up with the plate sometime. im super curious as to how it compares to the advantage.
I will gladly bring them along...
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #33
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:
im super curious as to how it compares to the advantage.
Me too!
Old February 28th, 2013, 09:08 PM   #34
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamaskates View Post
Me too!

Well, show up next Wed and find out... Let's see if you and I agree on what's what..
Old February 28th, 2013, 10:33 PM   #35
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default DocSk8 Skating Test Run

Hey Doc,

Fun reading all the posts. My main question is:

What kind of test runs or skate patterns did you do to compare them to the 45 set up that you like. I do understand you were under the weather due to leg injury. Yet Derby short circle skating must need some special on_skate tests during try outs or the adjustment phase.

Notes: I was kind of surprised by the placement of your back wheel. When put up on it's side it is pretty close to what i use. For some reason I thought you had yours inside the heel.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old March 1st, 2013, 12:22 AM   #36
Mamaskates
Rollin'

Quote:

Well, show up next Wed and find out... Let's see if you and I agree on what's what..
Cool Deal!
Old March 1st, 2013, 04:44 AM   #37
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANY_SkatingDave View Post
Hey Doc,

Fun reading all the posts. My main question is:

What kind of test runs or skate patterns did you do to compare them to the 45 set up that you like.

Initially, I just roll them at the adult sessions and sk8 them... Now when I go "round and round" it is actually more zig and zag... That is just the initial stuff...

I do understand you were under the weather due to leg injury. Yet Derby short circle skating must need some special on_skate tests during try outs or the adjustment phase.

I agree and when I get to that point, I borrow the team's circle before and after practice. I also have private access to another rink if needed..

Notes: I was kind of surprised by the placement of your back wheel. When put up on it's side it is pretty close to what i use. For some reason I thought you had yours inside the heel.

Dave, I'm sorry I'm not quite following that description.. This pair have the plates about as far back as I can tolerate.. They will most likely creep forward soon.. One other thing. The Bont heel makes things look deceptively different..

Did I answer your questions?? One thing I have always done is pass on the sk8s to more qualified sk8rs when I am at the limit of my skills.. I always learn more watching someone else rolls my sk8s..
Old March 2nd, 2013, 09:42 PM   #38
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Test Run Answers

Thanks DocSk8,

Yes, You answered my questions. You could have even said it was proprietary (kidding, yet you know)

I was interested because I have never seen written what moves to use for how to initially fine tune your skate adjustments for Derby Skating. I know how to do it for regular skating and was interested. Recently I have seen a few derby guys on a new plate muck around (which is the normal adjustment process. The hard lateral or block move is one they seem to give a go.

Heel
^
is kind of where I see this mount. Under the heel to a bit back. A very stable position, and good for going up on the heels skating.

Heel
---^
Forward of the heel so you could hit your head if you stood up really tall.

Again Thanks. BTW been hitting the tip of my elbow recently on doorways, and figure I am moving too fast and not paying attention.

Last edited by MANY_SkatingDave; March 2nd, 2013 at 09:44 PM. Reason: formatting the ^
MANY_SkatingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2013, 11:08 PM   #39
elemental
I Whistle at Derby Girls

do these have an offset ts?
Old March 3rd, 2013, 12:51 AM   #40
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
do these have an offset ts?