S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old March 11th, 2013, 11:52 AM   #381
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
I am noticing that now.. been 'attempting' to make it a 1 foot spin now, but i keep majorly cheating on my toe stop... this will take a while me thinks..
on the one foot spin keep your head up and your shoulders back this should help a bit,,,like everything else it takes lots and lots of attempts to learn in skating. wait until you get to the sit spin lol.
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:33 AM   #382
Jinx

Actually started to try to learn a 'upright spin' now.. I'm having a problem mostly getting into it.. i come in and lean hard, bu ti think that cuases my head and left shoulder to drop and 1 out of about 20-25 times i can actually get on the heel wheels and get almost a full rotation before i fall over.. this is going to be a tough one! but I cant wait to get back to practice tomorrow and try it!
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 05:57 AM   #383
Jinx

Completely unrelated to this thread...

I had a class project due where i had to interview someone who had a hobby and i chose Josh, I did the little 2 minute interview and cut it up documentary style. Just in case any one would like to see it, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVpwjAg9i8

He was a great sport for doing it for me and I love watching him jump!
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #384
rwsz

Quote:
Actually started to try to learn a 'upright spin' now.. I'm having a problem mostly getting into it.. i come in and lean hard, bu ti think that cuases my head and left shoulder to drop and 1 out of about 20-25 times i can actually get on the heel wheels and get almost a full rotation before i fall over.. this is going to be a tough one! but I cant wait to get back to practice tomorrow and try it!
practice practice practice is the only way, you have to have the correct posture and arms and press the correct edges to get it but it will come.
Old March 16th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #385
Sk8ing4given
Padawan

Quote:
Completely unrelated to this thread...

I had a class project due where i had to interview someone who had a hobby and i chose Josh, I did the little 2 minute interview and cut it up documentary style. Just in case any one would like to see it, here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eVpwjAg9i8

He was a great sport for doing it for me and I love watching him jump!
Awesome video, Jinx--and really nicely edited, too! Love the footage of Josh skating. He makes it look so efforless!
Sk8ing4given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17th, 2013, 02:16 AM   #386
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Jinx, I thought your video was very well done. If you hadn't told us this was course project, I would have thought it to have been made by a professional. I really enjoyed learning about Josh, and his rink. I'd love to skate there sometime.

Thanks for posting this.
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:02 AM   #387
Jinx

Thanks guys! I really do love the sport! and to think just a few months ago i wasn't sure if this was the place for me!

I had ton of footage to edit, i of course cut the times he fell he was a bit rusty and actually thanked me for getting him back out on his skates! one of the jokes i cut was that he said and i quote "I skate less than i ever have now that i own a rink" becuase he spends so much time running it! but he is pretty happy with it and i'm glad for him!

AS for me, i'm still trying to get this upright spin down.. I think my mapes is starting to come together a little better now.. I still cant really closed toe it yet.. but maybe one day! one of the skaters had me practicing the loop area to try to get me into the rotation for this upright spin, but my body just does not cooperate! that and i have a tendancy to bring my arms in automatically and they were showing me for this spin i may want to leave my arms out...

boy does it give my left thigh a work out! sore ever day after i practice!
Old April 23rd, 2013, 10:41 AM   #388
Jinx

Default pain under knee!!

Hey everyone.. Still quietly learning.. Still cant hardly get a single rotation on an on upright spin, but trying... (frustrating tho!).

But the coach has made us all start working on closed toe mapes due to stricture judging these days.. I think i'm finally starting to be able to do one, but lately I've been running into an issue.. Pain...

I'm not getting a pain /soreness right under my knee cap, you know the area they they hit your knee with a prong in the doctors office to test your reflexes? I think its EXACTLY that area.. I know why too.. Every single landing.. I'm really not doing right.. My leg tenses up, it slams the floor as I land, my knee is bent but my whole leg is rock hard and not absorbing the impact correctly..

ON TOP of that, I am REPEATEDLY landing forward, sometimes falling onto my toestop but almost always leaning forward when I land, this is putting a ton of stress on that muscle/tendon whatever it is under my knee cap, and it makes it increasingly painful to land, and ultimately to even jump (when I bend down to get a jump, it is sore/hurt). It will eventually go away after 1 or 2 days of not skating but as soon as I start practice and do a jump or two it instantly returns.. I think i'm over-working the area.

My guess is i'll need to stop jumping for a week maybe 2 to let the muscle/tendon whatever it is, fully heal, but, after that, I really need help learning to land properly because it's becoming a major pain and really depressing me that now i'll have to stop jumping to let it heal...

Anyways that's my latest update.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 11:35 AM   #389
rwsz

good luck and good to hear from you again. maybe you should check your knee with a doctor or wear a brace to help it.
Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:50 PM   #390
inverse137
www.sjsartistic.com

I'd put my money on the patella tendon being the source of the pain if it is under the knee cap. You describe a lot of the same things I experience. Be sure to ice your knee immediately after skating...like within 10 minutes.

Funny thing about landings....you tend to come down the way you go up. I'd concentrate on jumping "straight" up. The travel of the jump will happen. Head over shoulders over hips over feet...that should be your mantra. :-)

I've noticed with myself when playing around with singles, the ones where I have a "perfect" take-off that I don't have pain on the landings. The jumps that demonstrate all my bad habits have pain on the landings.
inverse137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 01:46 AM   #391
Jinx

Good points guys...

I definitely think I do go up the way I come down this is evident to me when I try loop jumps sometimes my toestop will tap the ground as im lifing off indocating that im leaning forward. Also sometimes the skate will slip out behind me right before lift off which again makes me think im leaning too far forward. ..

My problem is these bad habits are hard to Break I need to lift off more evenly and more importanly land more evenly I dont know why im so forward...

Also though ive been told when I land its loud like a stomping.. now im no featherweight at 177 pounds and only 5 7.. but I think it's because even though my knee is bent that my leg is very stiff and tight and I need to be more relaxed maybe my brain is anticipating the landing too much?

Maybe I should have a shot or two before jumps haha joking...

I have iced it during practice since this pain has started.. but like today I can walk fine and theres verry little to no residual pain. Im gonna skate tonight and only work on upright spin and bracketing no jumps.. ill see if it flares up for that...
Old April 24th, 2013, 02:30 AM   #392
BlackLace
Beautiful Snowflake

Quote:
But the coach has made us all start working on closed toe mapes due to stricture judging these days.. I think i'm finally starting to be able to do one, but lately I've been running into an issue.. Pain...
Are just sure it's not the *take off* that's causing as much stress as the landing? Jumps from a deep knee bend are the worst aggravater for me.

I suspect your landings are thumpy because your brain is telling your knee not to bend too deep on the landing, since that hurts.

If it is patella tendinitis, a couple of weeks break isn't going to fix it. More like *months*. Or never if you keep on aggravating it.

Can you tell you coach to go sail and work on other jumps that use the other take off foot instead for a while? Or for a diversion whilst things heal, learn jumping in the other direction? Or do just dance for a while?
BlackLace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:01 AM   #393
Nostalgic

Going into your jump concentrate on holding your solid edge and keep rotation out of your mind completely. Pick a single place on the floor to do the jump initially and then pick a point high up on the wall in the direction that you will be looking. When you are about to reach the point where you will be taking off you want to find that point on the wall and center your eyes, shoulders and your hips to that point. Reach back with your free leg and keep your toe pointed but never leave that centered position with your eyes raised slightly upwards. Dip your employed leg until your toe stop touches. Do this by feel without turning and keep part of your attention on riding a solid secure edge. When the toe stop touches pull it in forcefully without turning. When it starts to come alongside your employed foot straighten the employed knee and jump straight up pulling your head and ribcage up as high as possible. As you rise into the air pull your arms into your left shoulder and begin your rotation. When you are about 45 degrees away from your point on the wall extend your arms and rotate your shoulders slightly back in the opposite direction to check your jump.

That's about as detailed a step-by-step sequence as I could think of at the moment. Hopefully whatever you are doing wrong will show up as you compare what you are doing to that. Going forward at takeoff and landing means that you are leaning forwards which in turn usually means that you are looking down. From start to finish your eyes should never go below horizontal and should never look backwards in the direction you are traveling except while actually rotating in the air.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #394
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Going into your jump concentrate on holding your solid edge and keep rotation out of your mind completely. Pick a single place on the floor to do the jump initially and then pick a point high up on the wall in the direction that you will be looking. When you are about to reach the point where you will be taking off you want to find that point on the wall and center your eyes, shoulders and your hips to that point. Reach back with your free leg and keep your toe pointed but never leave that centered position with your eyes raised slightly upwards. Dip your employed leg until your toe stop touches. Do this by feel without turning and keep part of your attention on riding a solid secure edge. When the toe stop touches pull it in forcefully without turning. When it starts to come alongside your employed foot straighten the employed knee and jump straight up pulling your head and ribcage up as high as possible. As you rise into the air pull your arms into your left shoulder and begin your rotation. When you are about 45 degrees away from your point on the wall extend your arms and rotate your shoulders slightly back in the opposite direction to check your jump.

That's about as detailed a step-by-step sequence as I could think of at the moment. Hopefully whatever you are doing wrong will show up as you compare what you are doing to that. Going forward at takeoff and landing means that you are leaning forwards which in turn usually means that you are looking down. From start to finish your eyes should never go below horizontal and should never look backwards in the direction you are traveling except while actually rotating in the air.
I may be looking down a bit with my eyeballs but I don't think i'm facing my head down? I can't be positive on that though..

I fell last night practicing upright spin, landed on my hip and it hurts pretty bad.. gonna take a few days off..
Old April 29th, 2013, 10:57 PM   #395
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Injuries

One of the biggest obstacles in skating is preventing injuries, and I've had many. However, in recent years, I've not had many, and the ones I've had did not last as long as they could have.

Religiously stretching, especially my soleus, lower back, and shoulder muscles; has made a huge difference in preventing injuries. If I did not do this, I would not be anywhere near as good as I am at maintaining my balance.

When jumping, if you do not land on a bent knee. you will never be using the joint as a hinge, which it is.

I could write much more, but for now friends, concentrate on building stomach muscles, stretching, and posture. Skate with a happy faced curve in your back. Like a strung bow.
Old December 5th, 2018, 10:49 PM   #396
netplaceus
David

Thumbs up Best boot ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Jinx, if you do a search on this forum for the Reidell Tribute 336, you will not find one negative review, other than the one I wrote when I first started using mine. The Tribute is such a dream, and I would not go back to the 297 unless I were to have mine relined for use out of doors, which I am considering. I promise you, digging in of eyelets, and hard impact upon landing jumps will not enter your mind if you skate in this boot.

I may have mentioned how Reidell has incorporated sufficient amounts of cork to the 336. This gives the boot a rebound factor I never felt with the 297. Combined with a light weight aluminum plate such as one from Roll-line, you should notice a huge difference. Some of the aluminum plates also offer a rebound reflex.

When I weighed my current setup, to my old one, (as listed in my signature), I noticed a difference of 1 1/2 lbs. per skate.
I know this is an old post, but I have had my 336 (used to have 297) for about 2 months now. It feels a little stiff at first, but that went away in time.
I like it better than my 297's now for sure. Aside from the already mentioned advantages I have one more to add.

It feels SNUG in a way the 297 did not. My foot feels more one with the skate without feeling tight or restrictive. All that padding in the 336 holds your foot in place very well. At the same time that padding allows for some give. My 297 was a FINE boot for sure, but I tell you they can be the boot from hell when you're breaking one in. Not so with the 336, a little stiff at first, but never was uncomfortable.

My skating improved with the 336 because my feet felt more secured in the boot, not stiffer, but snugger. I can do everything I did before. And while this boot may not be the best for jumping, it feels WAY better than my 297 did for that and I am trying things I never would tried in my 297's because my feet feel secured to the boot. Hope this post helps others on finding their ideal boot. - My 2 cents.