S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old August 24th, 2012, 07:34 PM   #21
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default Nope No Videos

Hi inverse137, Chao Rick,

That was a long time ago,

Have not seen him in more than a decade.

The best I have locally is Mary from Skateland and a few pros from Lancaster that Rick knows, that are on different skating schedules than mine. Mary is a forever teacher and can highlight the check back for demonstration. Rick knows her.

OK I have one young man art trained, that does an almost great 3-turn. If we see each other and if I bring my camera I will get some moving photos of his 3-turns. Since he is not yet an expert you can see the check back. No promises since he is in college and very irregular this summer.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 24th, 2012, 09:26 PM   #22
rwsz

hi Dave and yes you are right with the coaches,,,,,,,i really just say research a bit on youtube and you will find almost anything you want to see, here is a couple examples of different things although most are advanced but you can see the takeoffs and landings and the checks of the jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5wi...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CFHc...feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gII_g...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL0A37tGciw

last one is a spin but look at the arm positions,,,,hope these help,,,many more out there
Old August 26th, 2012, 04:55 PM   #23
C-3 Rick

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Artisitic skating, Jinx! Just as in speed, art boots are a critical connection to the floor. Reidell boots are not as bad as many people make them out to be, but, from 297's up to Gold Stars, these are a "stock" boot, meaning the factory length, width, and height are predetermined. You should find a pair of boots that are comfortable, but can take the degree of punishment that freestlye puts on them. Good luck!!
C-3 Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #24
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-3 Rick View Post
Welcome to the Wonderful World of Artisitic skating, Jinx! Just as in speed, art boots are a critical connection to the floor. Reidell boots are not as bad as many people make them out to be, but, from 297's up to Gold Stars, these are a "stock" boot, meaning the factory length, width, and height are predetermined. You should find a pair of boots that are comfortable, but can take the degree of punishment that freestlye puts on them. Good luck!!

I wouldnt know where to start.. I asked one of the artistic girls who competes and skates at our rink she said she wears the Edea Fly, she admitted it was a major pain in the butt to break in, something about the arch area being very uncomfortable (this doesnt sound fun, sounds like an inline and those give me foot cramps) Not that i want to spend near that much on a boot...

I just want something comfortable for me, that will give me the right/proper support and posture or whatever its called to help me practice these jumps and such.. My biggest problem is there's not really gonna be anywhere around where i can just 'try on' some of these brands of boots to see what fits.. so it's like i will have to take a leap of faith. So i best start with peoples experiences with boots and thoughts..

I asked her about harlicks she said some people like them, she personally doesnt becuase they are a little less supportive and more flexible than she likes, she likes the boot to to be very stiff around the ankle... These things i'd have no idea about for me personally since i'm not that good yet..
Jinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2012, 11:53 AM   #25
rwsz

Jinx for the most part you dont need as much support in roller as ice, unless you have very bad ankles or prefer them. if you can find an ice skating supplier or rink you might be able to try some on there. other wise its a crap shoot. look on ebay and see what you can find cheaper and you might get lucky, look for wide widths.
Old August 27th, 2012, 01:54 PM   #26
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Talking 297's

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
Jinx for the most part you dont need as much support in roller as ice, unless you have very bad ankles or prefer them. if you can find an ice skating supplier or rink you might be able to try some on there. other wise its a crap shoot. look on ebay and see what you can find cheaper and you might get lucky, look for wide widths.
I have skated in 297's virtually my whole career, and I still love'em :-) I tried a pair of Gold Star boots for a Figure comeback, many years ago :-) They were basically Ice Boots and way too stiff for me!! I could never get used to them, hence there are blades on them now and they work much better in that mode :-)

Footwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2012, 05:45 AM   #27
Jinx

Thanks you two for the feed back. We have an ice rink just down the street..

I guess i'm not sure what i'd prefer, I'd had been doing crappy bad form mapes and waltz jumps in my Bonts which have 0 ankle support.. I tend to think my ankles are fairly strong and i only lace these current riedels i have up to about the 3rd to last eye let set... As a matter of fact, aren't these womens boots? I had been told by the employee's at the rink that the womens have a slanted back to the top of the boot, and usually mens are flat... am i skating in a womans boot??

the only thing i dont think about these riedels is that they are just soooo flat feeling inside.. dont any of the artistic boots have a nice soft foam rubber bottom that can absorb some of the impact? I feel every landing so hard on my foot..

I'll see about going into the ice rink and checking out what they've got..
Old August 29th, 2012, 12:51 PM   #28
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx View Post

I guess i'm not sure what i'd prefer, I'd had been doing crappy bad form mapes and waltz jumps in my Bonts which have 0 ankle support.. I tend to think my ankles are fairly strong and i only lace these current riedels i have up to about the 3rd to last eye let set... As a matter of fact, aren't these womens boots? I had been told by the employee's at the rink that the womens have a slanted back to the top of the boot, and usually mens are flat... am i skating in a womans boot??

the only thing i dont think about these riedels is that they are just soooo flat feeling inside.. dont any of the artistic boots have a nice soft foam rubber bottom that can absorb some of the impact? I feel every landing so hard on my foot..

could be ladys boots,,,,usually the backs are straight on mens but you never know if they were cut for the skater. another way to check is the bottom of the boot to see if its a b or c width, then its probably a ladys, might say it inside near the top ankle part if not worn out.
Old August 31st, 2012, 06:03 AM   #29
Nostalgic

Quote:

I always used the foam insoles from the supermarket in my boots. They worked just fine.
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2012, 10:30 AM   #30
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
I always used the foam insoles from the supermarket in my boots. They worked just fine.

are we talking the firm foam or the supser soft squishy foam? Cuz alot of times what i'm seeing is GEL and 'Memory foam' but not the kind of FIRM really resilient foam... Is there a brand or 'name' that i can search for?
Old September 2nd, 2012, 12:06 PM   #31
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
could be ladys boots,,,,usually the backs are straight on mens but you never know if they were cut for the skater. another way to check is the bottom of the boot to see if its a b or c width, then its probably a ladys, might say it inside near the top ankle part if not worn out.
They are pretty worn out... On the bottom i can make out M9 K4 but inside the only inked stuff is pretty smeared... I can take a picture if it would help but it doesnt matter too much if i'm looking to upgrade, These boots feel pretty worn in and are just not that comfortable..
Old September 2nd, 2012, 11:29 PM   #32
rwsz

Quote:
They are pretty worn out... On the bottom i can make out M9 K4 but inside the only inked stuff is pretty smeared... I can take a picture if it would help but it doesnt matter too much if i'm looking to upgrade, These boots feel pretty worn in and are just not that comfortable..
right just find something that is comfortable most of all. if you have good ankles and knees you wont need much support to be honest.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 06:09 AM   #33
Nostalgic

Quote:
are we talking the firm foam or the supser soft squishy foam? Cuz alot of times what i'm seeing is GEL and 'Memory foam' but not the kind of FIRM really resilient foam... Is there a brand or 'name' that i can search for?
Dr. Scholls
Nostalgic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 12:09 PM   #34
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
Dr. Scholls

No offense but when i go to the store they have 15 different flavors of dr scholls now..

The last pair i got were so thick though that when i wear them they cuase my toes to hit some kind of 'knot' of leather inside where the two peices of the boot come together on the top and rubs up against my toes and causes blisters on the top of my toes.. extremely uncomfortable... Just wish i could find the thin solid but soft foam that normally comes in speed skates, but I understand artistic maybe different..

What i'm going to do is head to the local ice rink tomorrow and see what they have and just try a few things on if they have much and see what kinda fits.. What hurts.. what doesnt.. I'm going to try not to judge ankle support too much...

As i've skated in the bonts the last 2 years i'd like to think i have pretty strong ankles.. Knee's... Mostly good, though i did rip/strain my MCL a year ago, but i haven't had any pain in it the last 6 months.. so i think i'm mostly healed now.

Still practicing my sloppy waltz jumps.. And still have a terrbile spin when trying things in my shoes (cant barely get around in 360, my back keeps tilting, but i've started to learn to REALLY tighten my stomach muscles when i leap and it helps a little bit!)
Old September 6th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #35
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool I always liked the??

Quote:
No offense but when i go to the store they have 15 different flavors of dr scholls now..

The last pair i got were so thick though that when i wear them they cuase my toes to hit some kind of 'knot' of leather inside where the two peices of the boot come together on the top and rubs up against my toes and causes blisters on the top of my toes.. extremely uncomfortable... Just wish i could find the thin solid but soft foam that normally comes in speed skates, but I understand artistic maybe different..

What i'm going to do is head to the local ice rink tomorrow and see what they have and just try a few things on if they have much and see what kinda fits.. What hurts.. what doesnt.. I'm going to try not to judge ankle support too much...

As i've skated in the bonts the last 2 years i'd like to think i have pretty strong ankles.. Knee's... Mostly good, though i did rip/strain my MCL a year ago, but i haven't had any pain in it the last 6 months.. so i think i'm mostly healed now.

Still practicing my sloppy waltz jumps.. And still have a terrbile spin when trying things in my shoes (cant barely get around in 360, my back keeps tilting, but i've started to learn to REALLY tighten my stomach muscles when i leap and it helps a little bit!)
I always liked the?? Lambs Wool ones, but the last pair I bought were thicker then my old ones and won't work in my boots right now!! I had to go to the standard foam ones :-( Maybe if I skate more and harder my feet will get skinny enough to use the Lambs Wool ones again ??? :-(

Old September 6th, 2012, 04:41 PM   #36
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Original Equipment Insole

Jinx, this is the standard manufacturer's insole. They aren't real thick, and should not be. All you need is enough thickness to cover the mounting hardware inside the boot.

A thick insole absorbs pressure that needs to be applied to the edges of the skates. Otherwise you get the walking on a mattress effect.

http://www.skate-buys.com/rimoinp.html
Old September 6th, 2012, 10:23 PM   #37
Jinx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
Jinx, this is the standard manufacturer's insole. They aren't real thick, and should not be. All you need is enough thickness to cover the mounting hardware inside the boot.

A thick insole absorbs pressure that needs to be applied to the edges of the skates. Otherwise you get the walking on a mattress effect.

I hear that. I've tried skating in Gel insoles and they make it hard to speed skate becuase your skate kind of squishes away from you in a way.. One pair of my labeda skates (very old boots) had some orange fairly thing firm firm foam in them, and those were pretty comfy. The bont's are a little more squishy but still firm enough.. What they gave me at the rink (and i'm using right now) feels like a thick peice of felt (like on a pool table) and feels like very little to no cushioning right now, it's just the stock stuff they put into the brown house skates
Old September 7th, 2012, 12:11 AM   #38
emtdpf

Quote:
I hear that. I've tried skating in Gel insoles and they make it hard to speed skate becuase your skate kind of squishes away from you in a way.. One pair of my labeda skates (very old boots) had some orange fairly thing firm firm foam in them, and those were pretty comfy. The bont's are a little more squishy but still firm enough.. What they gave me at the rink (and i'm using right now) feels like a thick peice of felt (like on a pool table) and feels like very little to no cushioning right now, it's just the stock stuff they put into the brown house skates
Sounds like they gave you an insert that they use for the rentals.....
emtdpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2012, 03:07 AM   #39
Footwork
Ray Ninness Bedford, NH

Cool I skated over twenty years with!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post

I skated on those Lambs Wool inserts for over twenty years, once they get worn in they are quite comfy, and seem to hold my feet nicely. The new ones I bought were almost twice as think as the ones I usually used, same manufacture???

Old September 7th, 2012, 12:13 PM   #40
Jinx

So i've been considering saving up for an Edea boot, (maybe a Fly i can get a pretty darn good deal on it)... Does anyone have any opinions? I see edea says they never 'overboot' a skater, I assume this means normally if you buy a boot thats a higher skill level than you, it makes things harder? I mean seriously i'm just doing like 30-50 waltz jumps every night untill i get a straight back and it feels right, and it still doesnt.. So my skill in jumps is still very rudimentary.. So i dont want to buy a boot that is so much better than my skill that it actually slows me down/stops me..

But anyways any thoughts on edea?