S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
(CLOSED IN 20200

SKATELOG DOT COM: Web Site | Blog | Facebook |    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum Has Been Replaced by SkateDebate Dot Com ***

FROM SKATELOG FORUM HOST KATHIE FRY IN MARCH OF 2020:
This announcement is to let everyone know that after hosting the SkateLog Forum and its predecessors for nearly 20 years, I have decided it is time to permanently turn the forum over to a new owner and administrator. I cannot think of anyone more suitable to take on that role than my SkateLog forum co-host, Florida skater Jessica Wright. I am pleased to announce that Jessica has agreed to establish and host a brand new skating forum, configured like the SkateLog Forum, but with a new name and a new Web Site. This new forum is 100% owned and operated by Jessica.

NEW FORUM NAME: SkateDebate Forum
NEW WEB SITE: SkateDebate.com
NEW OWNER AND ADMINISTRATOR: Jessica Wright
REGISTER IN JESSICA'S FORUM: Create a SkateDebate Forum User Name

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Derby Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Derby Forum Discussions about banked-track and flat-track roller derby events, teams, skaters, and training methods.

Old March 1st, 2020, 04:42 PM   #1
gsng

Default Wobbly skate

Sorry I am posting this twice. Once in the ask Doc forum. I wasnít sure which place was more appropriate.

I am new here. I have skated since I was a kid, but recently got back into quad skating. Been at it for a few months. I have been skating derby and have the RIEDELL 126 boot with Powerdyne Reactor Neo plates and Atom Savant 97 wheels. Ever since I got these skates, the left skate has been wandering, wobbly or with a mind of its own. I causes me a great deal of instability. I donít have this problem on any other skates (i have tried a few teammates skates). I have tried tightening and loosening the trucks and it doesnít help at all. Tried different lacing techniques but I am confident this isnít the problem. I donít know if the plate is mounted wrong or it could be a pivot cup issue or what is going on. I have also changed the original wheels to the savants and it hasnít helped either. I donít really know how to check pivot cups. I have researched this plate but not really found much about tuning it. Itís a bit different than some of the plates I see on youtube. I really want to figure this out and can take pictures if I need to. Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!

UPDATE:

I noticed when trying to set all wheels to same spin that the left skate, the wobbly one, well itís front inside wheel doesnít spin smooth. I can see a slight wobble. I went out bought some new bearings, nothing too fancy and cleaned my wheels, then reinstalled. Same wheel is still wobbly. Looking at the axle I donít see anything that visually stands out as being messed up. I am not sure this is the reason behind this or if there is something wrong with the truckís axle. And if there is what could have caused it. Just wanted to post this update in the case that it will help in getting an answer. I really need to figure this out. Have a big skate tomorrow.

Thanks again!
gsng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2020, 08:20 PM   #2
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

It sounds like a loose pivot pin.
Old March 1st, 2020, 09:34 PM   #3
ursle
Street Skater

I would think a bent axle would show when rolling an empty skate across a table, a pivot pin to long or short and loose should show up when flexing the trucks around, and a wheel with unmatched bearing races would show when spinning the wheel.

This photo shows a jump bar, just ignore it, it also shows the bolt and cushion cups, I wonder if one of the bolts adjusting kingpin tightness is loose, or if the pivot pin is loose you will feel it when grabbing the hanger and playing with it, this isn't rocket science and with a little discussion the wobble will begone.
Switch the truck to the other skate or the rear, and it does sound like a bent axle
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 06:07 PM   #4
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsng View Post
Sorry I am posting this twice. Once in the ask Doc forum. I wasn’t sure which place was more appropriate.

I am new here. I have skated since I was a kid, but recently got back into quad skating. Been at it for a few months. I have been skating derby and have the RIEDELL 126 boot with Powerdyne Reactor Neo plates and Atom Savant 97 wheels. Ever since I got these skates, the left skate has been wandering, wobbly or with a mind of its own. I causes me a great deal of instability. I don’t have this problem on any other skates (i have tried a few teammates skates). I have tried tightening and loosening the trucks and it doesn’t help at all. Tried different lacing techniques but I am confident this isn’t the problem. I don’t know if the plate is mounted wrong or it could be a pivot cup issue or what is going on. I have also changed the original wheels to the savants and it hasn’t helped either. I don’t really know how to check pivot cups. I have researched this plate but not really found much about tuning it. It’s a bit different than some of the plates I see on youtube. I really want to figure this out and can take pictures if I need to. Any help would be vastly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time!

UPDATE:

I noticed when trying to set all wheels to same spin that the left skate, the wobbly one, well it’s front inside wheel doesn’t spin smooth. I can see a slight wobble. I went out bought some new bearings, nothing too fancy and cleaned my wheels, then reinstalled. Same wheel is still wobbly. Looking at the axle I don’t see anything that visually stands out as being messed up. I am not sure this is the reason behind this or if there is something wrong with the truck’s axle. And if there is what could have caused it. Just wanted to post this update in the case that it will help in getting an answer. I really need to figure this out. Have a big skate tomorrow.

Thanks again!
Were these used skates when you bought them? What color are the cushions on the plate? Is the boot mounted tight to the plate? Are the boots looser or much wider than your feet? Boots should be fairly close in width no matter how you lace up. Turn the skates upside down and put a ruler across the front wheels from one side to the other to check for a bent axle, or put them on a table and look for a wheel to be lifted on the outside. Both wheels on a truck should sit flat on the table.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2020, 10:14 PM   #5
gsng

I am not sure what a hangar is... is that the part of the truck that goes into where the pivot cup sits? These are delrin pivot cups. And yes the skates were brand new when I bought them. I put new bearings on yesterday but it still has the wobble. When I take skate off and turn it upside down and spin the wheels the front inside wheel looks like it has a slight wobble. Does this mean bent axle? Looking at the axle I canít see that its bent in any obvious way.

I took a picture of it but didnít take the toe stop off which may be a problem. How can I share a photo?
Old March 2nd, 2020, 10:22 PM   #6
gsng

These aren’t the best images but

https://ibb.co/Tv8TsSG

https://ibb.co/Ltx9KvP

I can try and take clear ones on a table tonight or in the morning. I have derby practice tonight.

Last edited by gsng; March 2nd, 2020 at 10:24 PM. Reason: pics didn’t show up
Old March 7th, 2020, 08:08 AM   #7
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Check axles by taking the trucks off and chucking one side up in a drill then pull the trigger for the slowest forward speed to check them for bent axles.

If your hands are big enough you can hold the wheels in your hands and spin them to check bearing bores. If you feel like there is a high spot between the bearings, that's likely part of it.

Another is set the wheel on the axle and spin it whil holding your finger close to the wheel. Does the gap between the OD of your wheel and your finger change? If so the wheel is likely also out of round.

Edit.

If you relocate the wheel(s) does the problem follow the wheel? I would presume it does.

Last edited by Mort; March 7th, 2020 at 03:15 PM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote