S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    


Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 23rd, 2019, 11:45 AM   #21
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
This thread has gone weird. It seems skating makes you feel better but posting about it on a skating forum gets you attacked with some weird pseudoscience?

I wear a fitness tracker which constant monitors my heart rate (which I know is imperfect but is still a decent guide) and I can assure anyone that rink skating is a good aerobic exercise. It's obviously not as good as knocking out a couple of quick inline half marathons a week but a couple of hours on the rink can be both excellent aerobic and anaerobic exercise during the same session. I don't think I sweat as much as I do on a hard inline skate as I do when working on jumps at the rink. The core engagement is intense as well. I'm only at a very beginner stage but even waltz jumps and 1 legged 180s as a precursor to loop jumps take serious effort when they are new to you. Getting from arabesque into shoot the duck and back to arabesque without letting your 'shooting leg' touch the floor takes serious effort in terms of strength and speed. Learning to have full control on heels and toes, forwards, backwards and sideways requires both aerobic and anaerobic effort. (And that's before you even account for the effects of the combination of short term terror followed by elation when you try something scary and new on your metabolism.)

The same is also true for a session at a skate park as that can also be excellent aerobic and anaerobic exercise in the same session. Personally I think the best way to do it is to combine it all. My ideal week includes 2 or 3 rink sessions, 2 or 3 long outdoor inline skates, 1 skatepark session, 1 session of slalom or just a slow session of training fundamentals on my inlines. Each type of skating compliments the other as well as just being absolutely great fun in and of themselves.
I skate every weekend. Great cardio unless you are just standing around. Keeps migraines away for me.
__________________
Dims = promoting and carrying out baby deaths. Collusion, whistleblower gate now fakepeachment...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2019, 09:51 PM   #22
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
This thread has gone weird. It seems skating makes you feel better but posting about it on a skating forum gets you attacked with some weird pseudoscience?

You're new here huh? You'll pick up on the flow.

I wear a fitness tracker which constant monitors my heart rate (which I know is imperfect but is still a decent guide) and I can assure anyone that rink skating is a good aerobic exercise. It's obviously not as good as knocking out a couple of quick inline half marathons a week but a couple of hours on the rink can be both excellent aerobic and anaerobic exercise during the same session. I don't think I sweat as much as I do on a hard inline skate as I do when working on jumps at the rink. The core engagement is intense as well. I'm only at a very beginner stage but even waltz jumps and 1 legged 180s as a precursor to loop jumps take serious effort when they are new to you. Getting from arabesque into shoot the duck and back to arabesque without letting your 'shooting leg' touch the floor takes serious effort in terms of strength and speed. Learning to have full control on heels and toes, forwards, backwards and sideways requires both aerobic and anaerobic effort. (And that's before you even account for the effects of the combination of short term terror followed by elation when you try something scary and new on your metabolism.)

The same is also true for a session at a skate park as that can also be excellent aerobic and anaerobic exercise in the same session. Personally I think the best way to do it is to combine it all. My ideal week includes 2 or 3 rink sessions, 2 or 3 long outdoor inline skates, 1 skatepark session, 1 session of slalom or just a slow session of training fundamentals on my inlines. Each type of skating compliments the other as well as just being absolutely great fun in and of themselves.
Going back years, skating has never given me cardio benefit. Bike riding did that for me. Back in cali, 1-2 hour rides got me in shape for skating. Skating gave me tired sore muscles, and sore knees, too. So for me, skating has always been leaning toward anerobic. Now I bike 2 plus hours. I still see higher heart rates skating than biking. So still, more hard work skating than biking.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 11:47 AM   #23
Dazzler
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
Going back years, skating has never given me cardio benefit. Bike riding did that for me. Back in cali, 1-2 hour rides got me in shape for skating. Skating gave me tired sore muscles, and sore knees, too. So for me, skating has always been leaning toward anerobic. Now I bike 2 plus hours. I still see higher heart rates skating than biking. So still, more hard work skating than biking.
I guess I skate hard. On inlines I'm aiming towards a 2/2.5 hour marathon. Last night I spent over 4 hours on the rink floor and apart from short breaks where I skated around semi-leisurely chatting to friends or doing simple tricks with my son, I was either skating at speed, doing jumps, or working on new footwork/dance steps. The way I rink skate would have a lot of fitness benefits in common with HIIT or cross fit except for the fact that it would be unusual to spend 4 hours on those. Whereas with skating it just feels like fun and if I have a dry change of clothes the nearest I get to discomfort is in the last half hour, where I need to acknowledge that I have to stop one legged jumping as I'm just too physically tired to do it safely. I don't actually feel tired because I'm buzzing but when I know I'm repeatedly struggling to comfortably step into the right edge for take off, I'm not going to land safely, so it's time to stop doing it.

I'll be going inline skating with my 6 year old later this evening and that will probably be far more anaerobic than aerobic, as he averages 8min KMs and 10KM is the max I'd let him skate for. So I'll use the skate as a chance to work on fundamentals like simple jumps, slow turns/slides, glides, maybe some leg strengthening exercises like going up and down on one leg, but I'm honestly not stable enough on inlines for much leg benefit yet, so it will be more of a stability exercise (though that will increase core strength so win some/lose some) etc.

None of it feels like working out though. It's just fun and a sort of zen mindfullness/extreme happy feeling. As soon as I put on my skates I feel both the amazing relaxation and satisfaction of getting in a warm bath but also the giddy excitement of a child on a roller coaster. It's flying. I'm not skating to get fit/be fit, I'd still skate even if it wasn't any kind of exercise because it makes me so happy. But there is no denying that it's had an extreme effect on my body and fitness levels, which is a pretty super bonus.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 12:53 PM   #24
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 3,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
This thread has gone weird. It seems skating makes you feel better but posting about it on a skating forum gets you attacked with some weird pseudoscience?

Not weird, just dragged away from non-sense.

I've been trying to start an aerobic vs anaerobic discussion on skatelog for a couple years, and yes, if one want's one can get an aerobic workout on skates, over the course of a couple of hours of constant effort.

What I'm pointing out...a couple of Trolls Trolling a skating forum are pretending to be elite athletes with BMI's of 22, while they are actually more likely over 40, and their advice isn't about diet or hydration or warm up or conditioning, it's about

Ionic Fizz magnesIum



So, I get to point out the absurd, if to you it's pseudoscience, to me it's absurd pseudoscience.
__________________
Liberal authority comes from rational assessment of true facts followed by correct implementation of useful measures that result in a better outcome.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 02:56 PM   #25
Dazzler
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
What I'm pointing out...a couple of Trolls Trolling a skating forum are pretending to be elite athletes with BMI's of 22, while they are actually more likely over 40, and their advice isn't about diet or hydration or warm up or conditioning, it's about

Ionic Fizz magnesIum



So, I get to point out the absurd, if to you it's pseudoscience, to me it's absurd pseudoscience.
To be fair only one poster was recommending ionic fizz magnesium. Mineral depletion is associated with muscle pain, though the efficacy of supplements is still debatable. I tend to take certain supplements, at times, vit D in winter because I live in northern Europe, iron at certain points of my cycle as I have a history of anaemia. Glucosamine Sulfate when I experience joint pain, because I am 40, sometimes my joints hurt and Aldi sells it so cheaply that I figure it's worth a shot.

The pseudoscience I was referring to was attempting to use scientific language to claim rink skating isn't aerobic exercise. I think it's just basic common sense to say that if you go to the rink and have a leisurely glide about that you aren't getting much by way of an aerobic work out. You aren't going to get much of an anaerobic workout either really though are you? But if you skate fast, push yourself hard, constantly keep adding new, more complicated, harder manoeuvres to your routine, etc then it is both an excellent anaerobic and aerobic exercise. Doing a physical activity that comes easily to you isn't particularly good exercise of any kind. It doesn't mean it won't make you happy though. A nice walk in the woods doesn't get my blood pumping or build me a fabulous butt, but it does sooth my brain and help me feel chilled out and relaxed. It can also help prevent me from physically seizing up and mentally reset my buzzing brain if I've really pushed myself exercise wise. I often finish up a great skate and take the dog for a walk straight after as I need the chill. Take that for what it's worth from this 40 year old with a BMI of 21 and a body fat percentage of 22 (which is objectively great for a woman my age). Who's only exercise is skating and 8 months ago had a BMI of 23.5 and a body fat percentage of 27.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2019, 09:38 PM   #26
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.
 
sk84luv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 1,465
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
you really should try the Ionic fizz magnesium... it really does work. Took muscle burn away the first day I used it. I just use it a little every week to maintain.
I used Ionic fizz for a couple years or so. Very good product, but too expensive for my needs. What I've found to be the cheapest, best source of a mag supplement is good old magnesium citrate in liquid form. Walmart's brand is what I get. Just a shot glass full a day will keep the bodies muscle system in tip top shape. If one is experiencing muscle cramping, a lack of mag is a clue.

And, think about the most important muscle, our heart. Magnesium is vital for good heart health.

Whenever possible, let food be your medicine. But, many soils our food is grown in is greatly lacking in minerals, Therefore, the need for supplements.
__________________
Riedell 336, Roll-Line Mistral, Roll-Line Panthers. Swiss Labyrinth II .
sk84luv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 12:51 AM   #27
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84luv View Post
I used Ionic fizz for a couple years or so. Very good product, but too expensive for my needs. What I've found to be the cheapest, best source of a mag supplement is good old magnesium citrate in liquid form. Walmart's brand is what I get. Just a shot glass full a day will keep the bodies muscle system in tip top shape. If one is experiencing muscle cramping, a lack of mag is a clue.

And, think about the most important muscle, our heart. Magnesium is vital for good heart health.

Whenever possible, let food be your medicine. But, many soils our food is grown in is greatly lacking in minerals, Therefore, the need for supplements.
I haven't had an issue with muscles from the time I started using it. I only drink it about once a month or so to maintain. Not a rigid schedule. It also helps the wifes leg cramps. She is prone to bad muscle cramps and uses it to minimize flare ups. It works well for us however I may look into your suggestion. Thanks
__________________
Dims = promoting and carrying out baby deaths. Collusion, whistleblower gate now fakepeachment...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2019, 01:57 PM   #28
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 3,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
To be fair only one poster was recommending ionic fizz magnesium. Mineral depletion is associated with muscle pain, though the efficacy of supplements is still debatable. I tend to take certain supplements, at times, vit D in winter because I live in northern Europe, iron at certain points of my cycle as I have a history of anaemia. Glucosamine Sulfate when I experience joint pain, because I am 40, sometimes my joints hurt and Aldi sells it so cheaply that I figure it's worth a shot.

The pseudoscience I was referring to was attempting to use scientific language to claim rink skating isn't aerobic exercise. I think it's just basic common sense to say that if you go to the rink and have a leisurely glide about that you aren't getting much by way of an aerobic work out. You aren't going to get much of an anaerobic workout either really though are you? But if you skate fast, push yourself hard, constantly keep adding new, more complicated, harder manoeuvres to your routine, etc then it is both an excellent anaerobic and aerobic exercise. Doing a physical activity that comes easily to you isn't particularly good exercise of any kind. It doesn't mean it won't make you happy though. A nice walk in the woods doesn't get my blood pumping or build me a fabulous butt, but it does sooth my brain and help me feel chilled out and relaxed. It can also help prevent me from physically seizing up and mentally reset my buzzing brain if I've really pushed myself exercise wise. I often finish up a great skate and take the dog for a walk straight after as I need the chill. Take that for what it's worth from this 40 year old with a BMI of 21 and a body fat percentage of 22 (which is objectively great for a woman my age). Who's only exercise is skating and 8 months ago had a BMI of 23.5 and a body fat percentage of 27.
You're perfectly correct, a person with the heart and lungs can get an aerobic workout, if they know how.

I'm simply pointing at the two forum trolls with thousands of trolling post's, yes, it's trite, but it is what it is.

These two with BMI's of 40+ aren't capable of an aerobic workout (my knees), and I'm simply calling them "posers", and I'm asking other's to take any advice with a grain of salt.

I mean no disrespect to you, and welcome, you're a breath of fresh air.
__________________
Liberal authority comes from rational assessment of true facts followed by correct implementation of useful measures that result in a better outcome.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 08:37 AM   #29
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
You're perfectly correct, a person with the heart and lungs can get an aerobic workout, if they know how.

I'm simply pointing at the two forum trolls with thousands of trolling post's, yes, it's trite, but it is what it is.

These two with BMI's of 40+ aren't capable of an aerobic workout (my knees), and I'm simply calling them "posers", and I'm asking other's to take any advice with a grain of salt.

I mean no disrespect to you, and welcome, you're a breath of fresh air.
So you just make flamboyant posts for no reason, with no real helpful
Input just out of spite. Can I try to remind you...This isnt the off topic area.

Back @ the OP

Beyond the levels of exertion that can cause elevated feeling(s), one can glide, which isnt readily available most of the time, ontop of that it's not a static condition like a swing, and it carrys more flow characteristics than dancing does because you have stored inertia that can be put to use. Also how my other things can you do where reversing you body to the line of travel is possible? Not too many activities have that. Water/ snow skiing /boarding are the closest I can think of, but cant readily go aerobic on powder in my experience.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy

Last edited by Mort; August 26th, 2019 at 06:23 PM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 12:24 PM   #30
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
So you just make flamboyant posts for no reason, with no real helpful
Input just out of spite. Can I try to remind you...This isnt the off topic area.

Back @ the OP

Beyond the levels of exertion tr har can cause elevated feeling(s), one can glide, which isnt readily available most of the time, ontop of that it's not a static condition like a swing, and it carrys more flow characteristics than dancing does because you have stored inertia that can be put to use. Also how my other things can you do where reversing you body to the line of travel is possible? Not too many activities have that. Water/ snow skiing /boarding are the closest I can think of, but cant readily go aerobic on powder in my experience.

Assume.... the dr-ursle code of ethics(expert of nothing).... I decided to look up the bmi chart. LOL I came in at a 32, and I doubt dr. know it all can keep up lap for lap for an hour or two or three. I used to skate 5 hours every weekend. No real reason I stopped except wife got bored. I'd say approximately 4 hours of the 5 was on the floor skating. Not a problem to go back to full sessions at all.
No worries Mort, he likes go gouge at me at every opportunity. Thats why I usually don't see what he posts unless someone replies to his post. Not much there I trust or believe.
__________________
Dims = promoting and carrying out baby deaths. Collusion, whistleblower gate now fakepeachment...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2019, 11:48 PM   #31
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 3,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Assume.... the dr-ursle code of ethics(expert of nothing).... I decided to look up the bmi chart. LOL I came in at a 32, and I doubt dr. know it all can keep up lap for lap for an hour or two or three. I used to skate 5 hours every weekend. No real reason I stopped except wife got bored. I'd say approximately 4 hours of the 5 was on the floor skating. Not a problem to go back to full sessions at all.
No worries Mort, he likes go gouge at me at every opportunity. Thats why I usually don't see what he posts unless someone replies to his post. Not much there I trust or believe.
Lovely, I'm from Missouri, show me your BMI of 32.

If you have fact's to discredit any post I've ever made, show them or just troll on, as you've never yet proven any of your "fact's", I'll just pull up a chair.

I have to laugh when people that are so out of shape their knees or ankles keep them from exercising give the impression they're elite athletes.

Troll on.
__________________
Liberal authority comes from rational assessment of true facts followed by correct implementation of useful measures that result in a better outcome.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 02:44 AM   #32
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Lovely, I'm from Missouri, show me your BMI of 32.

you are on the attack, so show the facts to back up your accusations. Or better yet, make an Off Topic post about it >.>

If you have fact's to discredit any post I've ever made, show them or just troll on, as you've never yet proven any of your "fact's", I'll just pull up a chair.

I have to laugh when people that are so out of shape their knees or ankles keep them from exercising give the impression they're elite athletes.

some people are genetically predisposed for bad joints, or they suffered injuries at some point in their life which they dont talk about., I dont know if that's the case, and neither do you.

Troll on.
Indeed, you will, troll on....
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 03:05 AM   #33
BigFoot
Senior Member
 
BigFoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: So Cal
Posts: 126
Default

I like turtles.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 09:06 AM   #34
HeBeGB
Senior Member
 
HeBeGB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: BrisVegas, Australia
Posts: 170
Default

Just interested, what constitutes an elite athlete?

Skating is my church, I use it to heal my mind as much as exercise my body.
__________________
I'm not fast, but I make other people faster
HeBeGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 09:24 AM   #35
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Just interested, what constitutes an elite athlete? What ever Ursle says apparently

Skating is my church, I use it to heal my mind as much as exercise my body.
Same. My 1 day a week to cut loose :/
You guys down there need the sock game, its freaking awesome. Probably the most fun I have at the rink. I'll try to take a video. Its definitely not for beginners.
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 11:30 AM   #36
fierocious1
Senior Member
 
fierocious1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 6,079
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeBeGB View Post
Just interested, what constitutes an elite athlete?

Skating is my church, I use it to heal my mind as much as exercise my body.
Yep, put on the earbuds and pile on the laps. Better in bigger rinks too. Time goes by when you are in the zone. Next thing you know, last skate... some people are posers and come in to look like skaters. There is a group of us older skaters that all put in a good amount of time on the floor. One of our guys is 72, skates 3 times a week, plays racquetball, and bikes 25 plus miles 2 to 3 times a week. The rest of us don't have that kind of time, but all are on the floor, not standing around but usually putting on laps in groups of 3 or 4.
__________________
Dims = promoting and carrying out baby deaths. Collusion, whistleblower gate now fakepeachment...
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 11:50 AM   #37
Dazzler
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 41
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Same. My 1 day a week to cut loose :/
You guys down there need the sock game, its freaking awesome. Probably the most fun I have at the rink. I'll try to take a video. Its definitely not for beginners.
What's the sock game? In my rink there is regular limbo and Ghostbusters. That's where they play Ghostbusters and every time you hear Ghostbusters you have to change direction. Which is great for practicing fast sharp turns and bits of clockwise skating.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 01:16 PM   #38
ursle
Street Skater
 
ursle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 3,862
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Assume.... the dr-ursle code of ethics(expert of nothing).... I decided to look up the bmi chart. LOL I came in at a 32, and I doubt dr. know it all can keep up lap for lap for an hour or two or three. I used to skate 5 hours every weekend. No real reason I stopped except wife got bored. I'd say approximately 4 hours of the 5 was on the floor skating. Not a problem to go back to full sessions at all.
No worries Mort, he likes go gouge at me at every opportunity. Thats why I usually don't see what he posts unless someone replies to his post. Not much there I trust or believe.

OK, 32 it is, wink, wink, I wonder what it is when you add in all the guns you carry that you feel you need to be safe?



We'll stop with models of a 32 BMI for sanity sake, thanks for sharing.

Fact's Matter
__________________
Liberal authority comes from rational assessment of true facts followed by correct implementation of useful measures that result in a better outcome.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2019, 08:22 PM   #39
Mort
Sk8 Ninja
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Huntington Wv
Posts: 3,593
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
What's the sock game? In my rink there is regular limbo and Ghostbusters. That's where they play Ghostbusters and every time you hear Ghostbusters you have to change direction. Which is great for practicing fast sharp turns and bits of clockwise skating.
Its a game my friends and I play, a private game more or less.

Capture the flag, everyone for themselves.

You stick a sock(flag) in your wasteband/pocket, everyone else trys to take it from you. Basic rules..

1. No wrong way skating.
2. You cannot grab the skater, only the flag. Likewise the person with the flag cannot grab or physically block another player from taking it. Only speed, transitions, stops, juking etc can be used to avoid getting the flag yanked.
3. You get 1, and only 1 lap to position the flag in your wasteband. The flag can go on the left or right hip between the front and back pockets of a pair of jeans. It cant be in front of the skater.
4. There is a 3 second rule as well. If a skater catches you and can hold a touch on your shoulder for 3 full seconds, you must surrender the flag.caught.
5. No one can track cut EXCEPT the skater with the flag. The size of a cut would need to be assigned for a rink if the rink was large. Examples: at our rink the center is the center of our derby track, only the flag bearer can use it. Depending on the rink crowd, and the players really depends if we use this at all. Typically we stay out of the center unless theres like 5 or 6 people after you. It makes it a little less about 6 people chasing you and makes everyone have to use a bit of tactical thoughts.

6. The skater with the flag can only remain in the center area for 5 seconds, they cannot camp out in the center. If a skater goes in the center and remains there for too long, the original person who chased them in gets the flag.
7. If you fall you lose the flag to whoever was in pursuit, if more than one , who ever was closest, or was in close pursuit the longest.
8. Dont play during special skates or games.
9 if you exit the floor other than for those special skates, you forfeit the flag to someone, you can choose if someone didnt take it.
10. If you are chasing and you cut track , you take 10 seconds where you cannot play/chase, or if you were in the center, you have a 1 second threshold before you can take the flag after returning to the playing area outside the center.
11. If you collide with other skaters not plying we typically dont let ya play for a while. We cant be endangering others because of a game where some may skate above their level of control.


I'll edit later if I think of anything but this is the basics.

It can get DAMN intense. Like ridiculous lol
__________________
Home rink: Roll-A-Rama in Huntington Wv.
"Focus on form and speed is a byproduct, focus on speed and falling is a byproduct." - Matguy

Last edited by Mort; September 7th, 2019 at 06:46 PM.
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2019, 09:55 AM   #40
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat
 
rufusprime99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: San Antonio Tx
Posts: 7,785
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
None of it feels like working out though. It's just fun and a sort of zen mindfullness/extreme happy feeling. As soon as I put on my skates I feel both the amazing relaxation and satisfaction of getting in a warm bath but also the giddy excitement of a child on a roller coaster. It's flying. I'm not skating to get fit/be fit, I'd still skate even if it wasn't any kind of exercise because it makes me so happy. But there is no denying that it's had an extreme effect on my body and fitness levels, which is a pretty super bonus.
For me, skating is about some good tunes, and moving to it. Bad music at a rink really kills me. But, no issue these days. I use my wireless headphones, so I am guaranteed to hear some of my favorites. I usually skate 1.5 hours. With my bike taking care of cardio, I can be care free for an hour and a half skating. I'll be tired in the end, but I can just find a groove and work it. That is a good spot to be in. I like my riding, and if anyone asked, I'd say I'm more of a biker than skater these days. The fitness it brings to my skating is NICE.
__________________
Don't let people live in your head rent free. ~princessfluffhead~ BontQRL/InvaderDA45: Seba-FRX: Alkali CA9
rufusprime99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 01:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.