S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old August 12th, 2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Default Help - Toe Stop Stuck

I bought some cheap toe stops online. Began screwing them into my Reactor plates when I noticed it seemed tight. I tried to remove them to see if I could see the issue, but they would not budge.

I looked at the other new stop and compared it to the old stops and sure enough the new one's stem was just a tiny bit larger.

I tried all night. Any ideas?

www.socalskatingreviews.com
Mystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2019, 05:30 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic View Post
I bought some cheap toe stops online. Began screwing them into my Reactor plates when I noticed it seemed tight. I tried to remove them to see if I could see the issue, but they would not budge.

I looked at the other new stop and compared it to the old stops and sure enough the new one's stem was just a tiny bit larger.

I tried all night. Any ideas?
Get a heat gun and shoot onto the aluminum surrounding the stop shaft., when the metal heats up it also expands. Then try to unscrew it.
Old August 12th, 2019, 08:45 PM   #3
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Get a heat gun and shoot onto the aluminum surrounding the stop shaft., when the metal heats up it also expands. Then try to unscrew it.
I've tried heat, cold, lube, and putting in a wedge. I even took them to an MMA studio and let one of the big muscle dudes have a go at it. It's stuck.

Odd part is there are only about 5 threads left to go before it's out.

Old August 13th, 2019, 12:11 AM   #4
ursle
Street Skater

I'd think about some freezing spray sort of gizmo for the nut and heat for the socket, a propane torch quickly.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nitr...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'd set it against or in something solid and whack it solidly to break any stuck metal, just jar it before freezing heating.

Even a bolt with good thread will seize periodically, a solid whack against something solid will break a tight seal.

After it's out the hole may still be good, you might have to invest in a tool to chase the threads to get them open, but here's to hoping.
Old August 13th, 2019, 11:20 AM   #5
fierocious1

You may have to put it on an angle plate, center it and drill it out in a milling machine(tighter tolerances by using the mill will ensure dead center drilling). Then attempt to retap the original threads. Aluminum galls easily, basically welds itselft together. If it won't come out using a good table vise and a pipe wrench(destroying the toe stop) you really have no other choice.
Old August 15th, 2019, 12:26 AM   #6
fierocious1

Another thought, if you can drill it dead center, out to tap drill size, then tap from the back side of the plate. You may salvage the original threads by doing it this way.
Old August 17th, 2019, 02:23 PM   #7
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Might be too late for this, but try a 50/50 of acetone and automatic transmission fluid. Swab a little bit on the threads and tap on it with a wrench or something, just to introduce a little vibration. Let it stand for about half an hour. That will reduce the friction tremendously, and might help it let loose. Might take a couple of applications.

If the aluminum in the toe stop shank threads have been corrupted, however, you may have to resort to something more aggressive.
Old August 18th, 2019, 09:49 AM   #8
jbgerman

You may have bought European metric toe-stops. Which are 16 mm diameter, whereas the US Imperial sized toe-stops, like in the Reactor, are 15.875 mm diameter (5/8'). But also the threads are different. In the worst case you messed up your plates.
jbgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2019, 03:11 AM   #9
Mystic
SWM So Cal

Default Update

Thought I would update everyone on this. It was an interesting ride. First off I emailed Sure Grip (the maker of the toe stop) and Riedell (the maker of the plate). To my surprise Sure Grip did not respond, but Riedell did and offered to remove the stop for me for free!

I got them back a few days ago. They look perfect. Not sure what he did, but there isn't a mark on them. Turns out the toe stops where defective. A thread on the stem had come off and got stuck. The threads on both stops where very rough. I should have looked them over better.

I did eventually hear from Sure Grip. They were not at all helpful. He kept interrupting me and talking over me with what was clearly rehearsed generic pat answers. He tried to blame me, blame the plates, everything but actually listening to what I had to say.

I even had a short written note from Riedell saying it was the toe stop that cause the issue, but they wouldn't even admit there was a possibility that the product might have arrived to me damaged.

So I won't be buying from Sure Grip again.

Going to make a youtube video about it. I'll post it later.

Old September 9th, 2019, 08:01 PM   #10
Zeroh

Lol wow... nice one sure grip. They should have just said sorry about that and then offered to ship you a new toe stop for free. Especially considering the note from Riedell. Not a smart move on their part at all.
Zeroh is offline   Reply With Quote