S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old July 31st, 2019, 11:11 PM   #41
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle View Post
Go ahead Trom, describe your setup, I need a laugh.

Cotton socks....check, two pairthat's 4 socks, so no, 1 pair
Vanilla over sized worn out boots....checkactually they were undersized, you dont keep up with anything even though I've stated what I wear MANY times
Plates....not yet.Arius???

Now tell us about how your advice broke Lil' Eve's ankle, remember, she asked what wheels to slide outdoors with and you told her softer wheels, before anyone could correct you she got softer wheels, and broke her ankle.

sure search that, you'll find someone taught her to do something wrong, which is typical with derby. she wanted better grip for security with stopping moves. Dont be intentionally ignorant,

I bet you're still sore about being guilty of causing a beginning skater to break an ankle, was a member for a week.
[BI didnt show her incorrect form, only what wheels grip and will work, many people use them all the time. FORM is key, something I never taught her personally so that's not one me buddy, though it's the only thing you ever bring up because it's all you got to hang onto, which is laughable.

She likely got the advice to pick up her foot and slam it down to the floor for a plow or power slide stop like a bunch of derby players teach people to do, and regardless of wheel hardness I've seen people injure themselves in a derby clinic doing just that, taught by an elite skater at that, how laughable, a top level derby skater who cannot teach proper form and safety.

And you're right, I prefer to skate alone for exercise, I'm not trying to show anyone anything, I have no sparkles, no flashing lights, and I skate just like I was on ice playing hockey, I'm not twirling and strutting and...listening to terrible music, gosh...for 45 years, after 15 years of ice hockey.

you do that because you're narcissistic, judgmental, holier than thou, uncultured, and an all around grumpy old hermit. At least that is your presentation here

BTW, once again....Trom, The lotion keeps friction in check, friction is heat, heat is bad, I know, you don't understand...

friction is our friend buddy. Friction does not produce heat. Slippage does. Ideally one wants the best grip between the boot and their sock surface, and the sock and their foot. Which lends itself to responsive skates.
A clean foot, a correctly fitting sock, regardless of material, and a correctly broken in boot that is the shape of ones foot, that's all ya need.

You're imagining your feet sloping around in a stretched out boot, my boots are tight, no slide, my orthotic's keep my feet exactly still, while giving me better balance, and by not using cotton socks, I have better blood flow, no cotton piles under foot, cooler feet and the smart-wool is warm if wet, dries immediately and last's years.

cotton piles under a foot when the correct size sock is not used, just like any sock will. The difference is that cotton possesses good friction characteristics, that many of those stupid running/athletic socks dont. Which lend themselves to sliding around in a boot. You dont seem to understand that a correctly fitted sock will not do that. I've skated for hours upon hours, indoor and outdoor with various socks on, non bunch up. Why is that? Because my foot is at the end of the fitment ranges so its tight. A person with a smaller foot should wear a sock which is on the limit of its fitment range.

I have nice expensive snowboarding socks, and I dont use them because they dont work as well because of their fitment range. They're "smart wool" and they SUCK.

When you speak you ooze ignorance, and a knack for lack of observation.

The point is, take any advice from these "one off's" with a grain of salt.
Says the hermit...
Old August 1st, 2019, 12:39 AM   #42
JorisKB

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Do you see what this does jorisKB? https://flic.kr/p/RZ4LVo
https://flic.kr/p/RZ4MB3

Yeah, perfectly, measuring the "rayon de braquage" (probably "steering radius" in english ?) for a said force.
I probably would not have done that with the wheels on, but it's a nice tool to compare plates.
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 01:18 AM   #43
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

I have wips and boot bite is a thing with 64mm wheels.But don't let that stop you from skating them. All the boens from racing to speed will bite ,just depends on your turning radius.

Oh yeah I'm a one off.So take my comment with grain of salt.
Lol.
You have 1 hermit.
An inline boot wearing skateboarder.
And an Arius lover"sorry mort"
So who's advice you gunna take.
Old August 1st, 2019, 04:52 AM   #44
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post
I have wips and boot bite is a thing with 64mm wheels.But don't let that stop you from skating them. All the boens from racing to speed will bite ,just depends on your turning radius.

Lol.
You have 1 hermit.
And an Arius lover"sorry mort" no offense taken lol
If you deviate from Ursle, you are wrong, dont forget that though.

I dont recommend the arius plate anymore until I explain what people are getting into. It's a lot to take in compared to the old stuff. More fickle and things can go wrong, as well as little documentation available to read and teach oneself. Most of what I know is not easily accessible by a search on Google.
.., and I strongly encourage them to wear either my skate or a friends skate when I'm talking in person to people, that is if it fits. Most people like it, but it depends on what they are coming from too.

I dont ever recommend them for derby anymore. Sh!t aluminum doesnt hold up well enough. People have even damaged proline toestop bosses, that Chinesium doesn't stand a chance lol

My friend and I did some sprinting @ Neville Roller Drome the other weekend after the skate event we attended. F'n hauling the mail. Floor was super grippy and could really lay some power down.

We've skated things like snyder advantage, prolines, and ultimate plates before, they just dont work on the same level for us.

A guy up at the event has an aluminum Avenger on a 395, tried my buddy's arius setup out and he said he felt glued to the floor, like he couldnt even lift his foot. Hahaha. But his has press fit axis pin sleeves made of oilite, very precise,. Hes rocking the following setup
Boot: Riedell 395 size 9.5

Plate: Arius size 10 (it's a platinum baseplate but its red) with gen1 trucks press fit axis pin sleeves, no stabilization pins in, trimmed cushions, and the laser cut shims I have.

Wheels: Wide Phantoms in 95A

Mounted way far forward.
Old August 1st, 2019, 09:35 AM   #45
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
Yeah, perfectly, measuring the "rayon de braquage" (probably "steering radius" in english ?) for a said force.
I probably would not have done that with the wheels on, but it's a nice tool to compare plates.
It can also be loaded over 600lbs to simulate skater's weight, while taking measurements.

It's a "one off" too. "Wearing the one off badge"!... boxed production skates are so boring....

I doubt most of us run factory skate setups, also we don't skate what everyone else skates or leave as is, all of our gear is "one off". I wouldn't have it any other way...

Edit: almost forgot, inline boots..... no need to drill more holes when remounting and AIR VENTING! just a couple more advantages of "one off".
https://flic.kr/p/YkQSYL

Last edited by fierocious1; August 1st, 2019 at 12:06 PM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 1st, 2019, 04:48 PM   #46
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JorisKB View Post
Zeus can't go bigger than 72mm wheels. No point.
Just get new boens if you want light nts plates with clips. They don't take big wheels either, but they have been good for decades under "boiani star" name, so we know they works and you can have steel, titanium or 7075 kingpins for less money.

The current Boen RK's (Boiani Star Masters) have a VERY low deck height, and not much wheel clearance. There's a newer model called the Speed Pro that has a 15ļ kingpin and adds ~2mm of wheel clearance, but I'd have to check with the factory for stock levels.

That said, they're a well made plate and skate nicely. I run very soft cushions so I get a lot of boot bite, however, with the RK UL. I've gone to 60mm wheels because of that. If you run really hard cushions you may be able to get away with more than that.
Old August 1st, 2019, 06:18 PM   #47
JorisKB

With hard cushions, you can skate 70mm on the RK speed.
We were able to put classic K 76mm on them by adding a 5mm sole between plate and boots, but that's because the classic K have round lips that won't get bite by the plate. I dont think Hawgs zombies 76 would fit since they would probably get bite by the plate.

https://scontent-prg1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...c5&oe=5DEDBA53
JorisKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 09:59 AM   #48
bookwook

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbkwikn View Post

Lol.
You have 1 hermit.
And an Arius lover"sorry mort"
none of ya....interesting debate none the less.
Probably your advice seeings how you've got Wips.
even though tilers usually dont take advice from plumbers.
bookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2019, 04:22 PM   #49
ursle
Street Skater

Let's unpack this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursle
Go ahead Trom, describe your setup, I need a laugh.

Cotton socks....check, two pair that's 4 socks, so no, 1 pair

BS, wait, did you get new vanilla boots or are you in the first pair..which required two thick pair of "cotton" socks?

Vanilla over sized worn out boots....check actually they were undersized, you don't keep up with anything even though I've stated what I wear MANY times

BS, again, Two sizes to big, sloppy loose boots and two pair of cotton socks, and now denial, but whatever you say, (with a grain of salt)

Plates....not yet. Arius???

The jury has come in with a decision on the arius, and it's not a good one

Now tell us about how your advice broke Lil' Eve's ankle, remember, she asked what wheels to slide outdoors with and you told her softer wheels, before anyone could correct you she got softer wheels, and broke her ankle.

sure search that, you'll find someone taught her to do something wrong, which is typical with derby. she wanted better grip for security with stopping moves. Dont be intentionally ignorant,

BS, she wasn't yet in training for derby, she had no advice from anyone, and she came here asked for advice about sliding stops outdoors and she took the advice you gave before anyone could correct it, she followed your advice, "use softer wheels" and broke her ankle.

I bet you're still sore about being guilty of causing a beginning skater to break an ankle, was a member for a week.

I didnt show her incorrect form, only what wheels grip and will work, many people use them all the time. FORM is key, something I never taught her personally so that's not one me buddy, though it's the only thing you ever bring up because it's all you got to hang onto, which is laughable.

She likely got the advice to pick up her foot and slam it down to the floor for a plow or power slide stop like a bunch of derby players teach people to do, and regardless of wheel hardness I've seen people injure themselves in a derby clinic doing just that, taught by an elite skater at that, how laughable, a top level derby skater who cannot teach proper form and safety.

BS, she was skating outdoors, the only advice she got was to use softer wheels, she had not made a derby team, she had not yet begun fresh meat practice.

And you're right, I prefer to skate alone for exercise, I'm not trying to show anyone anything, I have no sparkles, no flashing lights, and I skate just like I was on ice playing hockey, I'm not twirling and strutting and...listening to terrible music, gosh...for 45 years, after 15 years of ice hockey.

you do that because you're narcissistic, judgmental, holier than thou, uncultured, and an all around grumpy old hermit. At least that is your presentation here

BS, (Narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) involves a pattern of self-centered, arrogant thinking and behavior, a lack of empathy and consideration for other people, and an excessive need for admiration. Others often describe people with NPD as cocky, manipulative, selfish, patronizing, and demanding.

I have no empathy?
I'm the one defending a poor girl with a broken ankle and you're denying it ever happened.

"Others often describe people with NPD as cocky, manipulative, selfish, patronizing, and demanding."

That rather describes you, trom.

Here's my security camera photos of my Maine Cottage, quite a hermit's nest, the view is thew ocean breaking over Fortunes Rocks Maine, you can see my L2 charger for Electric Vehicles, a hermit's favorite.

BTW, once again....Trom, The lotion keeps friction in check, friction is heat, heat is bad, I know, you don't understand...

friction is our friend buddy. Friction does not produce heat. Slippage does. Ideally one wants the best grip between the boot and their sock surface, and the sock and their foot. Which lends itself to responsive skates.

A clean foot, a correctly fitting sock, regardless of material, and a correctly broken in boot that is the shape of ones foot, that's all ya need.

BS, no friction no heat, as usual you're 180 out of reality concerning the fundamentals of reality, and it's sad to have to try to explain basic fundamentals to someone incapable of understanding. Not to despair the dead, but even Armadillo understood this basic fact.

You're imagining your feet sloping around in a stretched out boot, my boots are tight, no slide, my orthotic's keep my feet exactly still, while giving me better balance, and by not using cotton socks, I have better blood flow, no cotton piles under foot, cooler feet and the smart-wool is warm if wet, dries immediately and last's years.

cotton piles under a foot when the correct size sock is not used, just like any sock will. The difference is that cotton possesses good friction characteristics, that many of those stupid running/athletic socks dont. Which lend themselves to sliding around in a boot. You dont seem to understand that a correctly fitted sock will not do that. I've skated for hours upon hours, indoor and outdoor with various socks on, non bunch up. Why is that? Because my foot is at the end of the fitment ranges so its tight. A person with a smaller foot should wear a sock which is on the limit of its fitment range.

I have nice expensive snowboarding socks, and I dont use them because they dont work as well because of their fitment range. They're "smart wool" and they SUCK.

When you speak you ooze ignorance, and a knack for lack of observation.

BS, you're certainly welcome to your opinion, when it's wrong and you can't come to grips with reality, well. the word sad comes to mind, next you're going to state that orthotic's are bad for your feet, you're a comedy of errors.

The point is, take any advice from these "one off's" with a grain of salt.

The point is take any advice from these "one off's" with a grain of salt.
Old August 2nd, 2019, 05:57 PM   #50
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

How you get things so wrong is beyond me

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49847

She had a trainer buddy. Sorry you cant keep it straight.

My boots are a size 10 vanilla freestyle. The last they are made on is 276mm my feet are 281 and 283. That's TOO SMALL. Lol I do not wear 2 socks on each foot. I wear 1 sock on each foot, a thinner one on the right foot as it's a smidgen bigger than the left.

Search all my posts for "freestyle" and you'll find size 10 attached to them when speaking of myself.

I do however have a friend who wore a boot that was too big, and had always worn 2 pairs of socks. He had a size 6 vanilla, and now that I made him get sized correctly, he wears a riedell 4.5. Maybe you were thinking of a post I made with information relevant to his skate setup?

A hermit can live in a mansion, and still be a hermit.

Friction.
https://www.google.com/search?client...46.OJLjijNjUag

Then to further break it down there are 2 types. Static and kinetic. Static good, kenetic bad.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 06:13 AM   #51
zebra1922

To drag you both away from bickering, could I ask your opinions on large boots?

I take a size 10.5 UK, but a second hand pair of Edea boots with Roll Line plates and Ice wheels has come up quite cheap (lightly used second hand, about 40% of the list cost) but they are a size 11.5.

How much would this impact my (albeit limited) skating ability? Can I fill the extra size with an insole and thicker socks without too much problem?
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2019, 06:37 AM   #52
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Do what I do .
When good skate gear turns up .
Buy it.
If the boot fits...keep it.
If it doesn't keep the parts and flog the boots off.
1/2 a size I wouldn't be worried about.But a full size you might be pushing it.
Cut some thick leather inner soles and give that a go.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 08:02 AM   #53
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
To drag you both away from bickering, could I ask your opinions on large boots?

I take a size 10.5 UK, but a second hand pair of Edea boots with Roll Line plates and Ice wheels has come up quite cheap (lightly used second hand, about 40% of the list cost) but they are a size 11.5.

How much would this impact my (albeit limited) skating ability? Can I fill the extra size with an insole and thicker socks without too much problem?

Not all boots are made the same. Refrence their size chart, and measure your feet. If the size is close, cool, if not even if it's a good deal, it wouldnt be a good idea to get a very large or small boot unless you part it out to resale what you wont use.

Socks run from 1mm to 3, maybe 4mm thick so a boot that is more than 10mm in length than your foot may be a bit much, which would possibly require 2 pair of socks to be worn to get a good fit (not recommended)

That also deends on your foot too, a person with a wider foot wont notice the somewhat too long in the length (in some boots) if the rest of the boot is snug, as if they were on the limit of that boots circumference accommodations. Just depends on the ball of ones foot vs the boot if the extra room in the toe area would be problematic.

Sorry for the answer like this if it's a bit much, but it really depends on several things.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 12:42 PM   #54
ursle
Street Skater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
How you get things so wrong is beyond me

http://skatelogforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49847

She had a trainer buddy. Sorry you cant keep it straight.
Last time I hunted any post's by her they were all gone, reading that post and then searching her other post's certainly paints a different picture then the one I was describing, so, with great pleasure I offer my sincerest apology, I admit mistakes readily, so, I remember it differently and have no source for my recollection, I won't repeat what I can't back up.

doesn't mean cotton socks and terrible trucks should ever be mentioned in the same breath as skagelog.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 01:25 PM   #55
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

That was such a popcorn moment.Glad I was here to witness it.
All the one offs would like to thank you for the entertainment.
Old August 3rd, 2019, 02:05 PM   #56
ursle
Street Skater

Donn't mention it, really, don't
Old August 5th, 2019, 04:52 PM   #57
zebra1922

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Not all boots are made the same. Refrence their size chart, and measure your feet. If the size is close, cool, if not even if it's a good deal, it wouldnt be a good idea to get a very large or small boot unless you part it out to resale what you wont use.

Socks run from 1mm to 3, maybe 4mm thick so a boot that is more than 10mm in length than your foot may be a bit much, which would possibly require 2 pair of socks to be worn to get a good fit (not recommended)

That also deends on your foot too, a person with a wider foot wont notice the somewhat too long in the length (in some boots) if the rest of the boot is snug, as if they were on the limit of that boots circumference accommodations. Just depends on the ball of ones foot vs the boot if the extra room in the toe area would be problematic.

Sorry for the answer like this if it's a bit much, but it really depends on several things.
Not a bit much, very useful.

I do have wide feet so these might work for me. They offer free returns within 7 days on the second hand stuff so might be worth a punt ( Iíve only got the postage costs to lose).
zebra1922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2019, 08:21 PM   #58
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra1922 View Post
Not a bit much, very useful.

I do have wide feet so these might work for me. They offer free returns within 7 days on the second hand stuff so might be worth a punt ( Iíve only got the postage costs to lose).
Make sure it's also not built too narrow