S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old March 25th, 2016, 11:14 PM   #1
Big Steve

Default Best skates for the larger rec skater?

Hey, everyone. After a couple of years on Tempest 110s, I think it may be time to try a speed boot. I need some advice on the best choice. I'm 6'6"/230lbs, which I assume is large for a skater. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a pair of boots designed to handle a 150-pounder just so I can blow them apart.

Any suggestions for brands/models of boots are good for a larger recreational skater? Same question for frames.

Thanks, everyone!
Big Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2016, 11:50 PM   #2
matguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
Hey, everyone. After a couple of years on Tempest 110s, I think it may be time to try a speed boot. I need some advice on the best choice. I'm 6'6"/230lbs, which I assume is large for a skater. I don't want to spend a bunch of money on a pair of boots designed to handle a 150-pounder just so I can blow them apart.

Any suggestions for brands/models of boots are good for a larger recreational skater? Same question for frames.

Thanks, everyone!
I'm 215-ish, down from 225. I wouldn't worry too much about boots breaking on you from weight. I skated on Bont Jets for a while, and PowerSlide R2's before that. Neither are known as being particularly stiff boots. With the PowerSlide, probably quite the opposite with it's "Composite" (plastic) shell. I didn't do anything negative to either.

None of the decent speed boots are really particularly designed for 150lbs people. Plus, you might be surprised at how much power a particularly strong 150lbs skater can put down on a start, particularly indoor.

Back when I was in much better shape, about 20-something years ago, I was probably about 160lbs. I did break a boot. On a start. Indoors. Broke it in half. The front half was flopping like it was on a hinge. I had a very powerful start. But, boot making has also gotten better than back then.
Old March 26th, 2016, 04:38 PM   #3
kufman

The most important thing will be getting the right size boot. Check the sizing charts for each company before you buy. Bont sizing runs big (the boot is bigger than the number indicates). I wear a 9 size Nike shoe, but only a 7 in Bont. Bont boots are very strong no matter what price level. Their cheaper boots use fiberglass so they weigh more but are just as strong. Use the Bont sizing wizard to figure out if you feet are wide or not. My shoes are not considered wide, but in Bont sizing I have wide feet.

http://www.bont.com/inline/items/support/size.html
kufman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2016, 10:49 AM   #4
evilzzz

The best skate for the larger skater is the one that gives you the best fit and allows you to skate with precision and according to the needs of the style of skating that you are aiming for... the same as it is for the smaller skater.

The myth that some gears is more/less suitable depending on how heavy you are is just that - a myth. There are no skates specifically "designed for a 150lb skater" or any other weight, unless they are customs and then they are designed specifically for you alone.
Old April 4th, 2016, 06:46 PM   #5
shesk8

I will maintain that there is a threshold (in respect to skaters weight and respective applied forces on the skates by the skater, it's not a magical 150 #, but rather more comprised from: technique, pressure/force and weight) that would support selection of boots based on the boots material strengths, whether made of: fiberglass, carbon-fiberglass or full carbon. We have seen fiberglass only boots, as example, crack due to excessive torque on the boots & frames(which is driven by technique problems). Also, the weight and power push of heavier/larger skaters can/will tend to flex the less-stronger materials a little more, so fiberglass will not be as strong as carbon material boots these instances. Continuous flexion of materials can lead to cracks in weak areas of the boots construction, or in areas around the mount connections - w'eve seen around mounts, and sidewalls, under base, etc. (I have refrained from posting any pics as courtesy to manufactures). Simply put, apply enough pressure and something will eventually give. With that I'd suggest to error on the side of caution and opt for a carbon-fiberglass(at min.) or full carbon(if the $ is there) boot as materials strength ratio of carbon is significantly increased over a just fiberglass shell boots.

And, agree with others comments, the best skate is the one that fits perfectly. Do your homework, be sure to accurately trace and measure your feet when working with a shop, particularly if you are mail-ordering, to ensure you are getting properly fitted. There are limited walk-in skate shops in the usa, skatenow being one of those. We've seen it all over the years, and there is a boot for everyone.
shesk8 is offline   Reply With Quote