S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old June 30th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Kathie Fry
Forum Host

Default New Speed Forum Visitors - Introduce Yourself!

If you are visiting the SkateLog Speedskating Forum for the first time, or even if you have been here awhile, we invite you to introduce yourself to the rest of us by replying to this post!

- Kathie
Kathie Fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 02:56 PM   #2
ThePerambulator

I'll kick this off.

My name is Chris, and I'm from Minneapolis. I lived in Texas for a few years as a kid, and everyone playing inline hockey, so thats where my skating began. Moved back to MN, and played ice hockey through high school. Wanted to keep skating in college, so I got back into inline a bit.

I did my first inline marathon (NSIM) in 2009. The next summer (2010) I skated 2,500 miles across the country to raise money to rebuild schools in Haiti. That project was called Rolling to Rebuild. Since then i've gotten hooked on speed skating. I wish i could go back and do RtR again with all of the knowledge about equipment and technique that I have now...I really had no idea what I was doing!

Now i'm trying to get good at speed skating. This is the first season I've really taken it seriously. Got real speed skates (Bont Z) and I've done 5 races so far this year.

My first marathon in 2009 I skated in 1:51. This year my fastest is 1:19. I truly want to be an elite skater some day...lots of work ahead but I love it! My goal for the season is to win the Open division at the North Shore this year and qualify for Elite for 2013

OK thats me. Who's next?
ThePerambulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 06:10 PM   #3
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

My name is Andrew. I am originally from, and currently live in, the Chicagoland area. I grew up in the suburbs and live and work in Chicago. I started skating as a teenager, and ended up a street skater for most of my teens, and was a rink rat at Coachlite in Rosell, Illinois. I supplemented skating with ATV motocross in my teens. I stopped skating regularly when I was in college and graduate school, but bought myself a pair of Radical 90s to get back into shape after grad school. I skated on and off, but nothing regular. A buddy of mine suggested doing inline marathons last year in February, and that is when I learned about speed skating. Since March of 2011, I upgraded to speed skates (Bont Jets), and have participated in 4 marathons. I have three more races on the schedule this year, including the Chicagoland Marathon, the Minnesota Half Marathon, and potentially the Westfield Grand in Indianapolis. My personal best marathon is 1:36:56, and my long term goal is to skate a sub-90 minute marathon. I have a crazy career as it is, so I have no serious ambition about becoming an elite skater, but I would like to keep up with the fastest skaters in the Advanced Masters division of NROC, if I can. Long term, I hope skating keeps from getting fat as I age.
Old July 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM   #4
dthamm
Half-Fast

Great idea to suggest this!

I'm Doug. I have been skating in one form or another for about 37 years (ice figure and rec quad as a kid, street/aggressive inline and ice hockey in college). Started ice and inline speedskating about 2.5 years ago with my 7-year old son. There is a former Olympian here who teaches both. This year my 5-year old started inline as well. I co-coach the beginner inline class at our rink.

I was planning to do my first marathon (NSIM) this year but have had a series of foot and ankle setbacks - working on breaking in my new Jets to try to address this, and I have grudging permission from my wife to go for a pair of custom Z's if necessary! I guess it's a lot cheaper mid-life crisis purchase than a convertible! :-) I have 195-mount 110/100 setup ready to go once the boot thing is figured out, but I want to replace one thing at a time....

I now am hoping to skate in my first marathon and indoor races next season!

Love the list - lurk a lot and have used the search feature to great advantage. Thanks to everyone for all the great contributions!

Doug
Old July 5th, 2012, 12:58 PM   #5
speedysktr
President of Everything

Default Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthamm View Post
Great idea to suggest this!
I know right?

It can get a bit cluttered to have a bunch of "new here" threads.

A few of the regulars have shared themselves and I think that's great. Many of us have been around the board for some time so I would encourage other SLF vets to chime in as well and share a little bit about themselves so that the new people have some feeling for who they're talking with and what their perspective may be.

I've been around SLF since '04 and have been skating most of my life. I started as a rink rat my freshman year of HS in 1979 and did that for a few years before more interesting things came along. I got my first inlines in '92, my first (and supposedly "the only other skate I would ever need" ha!, 11 boots later...), the Roces Paris 5 wheel in '94. 1995 brought my first race and my first speed boot, the Bont Hustler. I began skating indoors some that same year as well as my 1st A2A. I've completed every official full distance A2A that has been held since then. (this year will be my 17th in a row) I lost a year in 2001 to multiple back surgeries, but still managed to complete A2A with virtually no skating for the year. I've been skating indoor and outdoor all of this time and began coaching Skatetown Speed in the autumn of '09. I've done a lot of racing and am a big proponent of competition whether you're hardcore or not. I consider myself more of an outdoor skater, but I love it all and encourage everyone to balance their skating with indoor training if it's an option and definitely as much cross training as you can manage.
speedysktr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #6
K2Sk8er
Professional Bike Chaser

Hey all, I'm Christine. I live in Colorado. I've been inline skating for about 17 years; got into speed skating last year and fell in love with it. I skated the Minnesota half marathon, NSIM and the 38 mile portion of A2A last year on a pair of K2 Radical 100's. I actually placed 5th in my age division at NSIM w/ a marathon time of 1:34:02.

This year I upgraded to Bonts; and so far I've done the Texas Road Rash, Apostle Islands, and I'm set to do Napa Valley this weekend & NSIM in September. I'm still getting used to the new skates but I've already seen a huge difference in the way I skate. Now I just need to work on getting faster - my goal for NSIM this year is 1:25.

I used to feel very, very alone in my passion for inline skating since I didn't know any other skaters. Through the interwebs all of that has changed and I LOVE it!!!!
K2Sk8er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 04:53 PM   #7
Speedsk8mama

Smile Hello

My name is Brandie and I'm from Kent, WA I've been skating for as long as I can remember. Skated competitively in high school and back at it now as a master. I have a 6 year old daughter who also speed skates. We skate for Auburn Speed. Nice to meet you all.
Speedsk8mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:24 AM   #8
slowsk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedsk8mama View Post
My name is Brandie and I'm from Kent, WA I've been skating for as long as I can remember. Skated competitively in high school and back at it now as a master. I have a 6 year old daughter who also speed skates. We skate for Auburn Speed. Nice to meet you all.
Nice to meet you too Brandie, I'm sure you and your daughter will do well.
See you at the rink!
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 09:20 PM   #9
reefstation

Default larry rosa

greetings......!
long time no see !

i skated for buena park, ca. speed club in 1966-1971.
my sister won regeonals in b girls 1st place.

i also skated for whittier, ca.
and glendora speed club.

what i would like to know is:
does anyone have any info on the powder (rosin powder) that was used on wood floors for speed club & inter club races ?
who made the stuff..... and who supplied it ?

i always used dexter wheels when i raced.

i went back to lincoln nebraska to the world roller finals..... in 1970.
it WAS cool to skate on that world track !

any one out there remember the buena park speed turtles ?

here are some of the names that were in our club:
larry, terry & kerry rosa.... wendal smith, ben agee, mike austin, the labedas,
jim tarigno, paul figgins ! ..... the bird brothers, and a whole bunch more !

anyone know any of these people ?

here is my email address:
snomobubble@yahoo.com
reefstation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 10:29 PM   #10
kandrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefstation View Post
what i would like to know is:
does anyone have any info on the powder (rosin powder) that was used on wood floors for speed club & inter club races ?
who made the stuff..... and who supplied it ?
Rosin powder is available at most sporting goods stores. Baseball players use it, I think to make their grip tacky.
kandrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:48 AM   #11
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

oops double posted
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2012, 02:52 AM   #12
phatnsassy
Living on my EDGE

I'm 42, married with two girls 13, 10. We have a cat. We live in a log cabin.

History…skated at the rink as a kid – nothing fancy – few spins in the middle but loved it. In my late 20’s I played a bit of roller hockey but was the worst skater (don’t know how I survived actually -- in fact, I shouldn't even say I played -- I just flailed around trying to stay upright. Still, I was nicknamed "The Wall" because no one could get anything past me. Maybe that's because the guys were afraid of me since I was pregnant?) .

Four years later, my husband and I started going to a tiny tot session when our girls were small for exercise and entertainment value. We both had roller blades. A few years later, they (husband and girls) started going to a beginner speed class (I was at work). My husband was totally sold on the sport. Since we all ski he saw the potential for using skating as a cross training. We ski 4 or more days a week. I'm the only NON-ski racer -- but tempted.

The girls eventually joined the inline speed team -- a year later my husband joined -- then me a year and knee surgery after him in Nov '11.

They spend about 10 hours on the rink floor a week and I spend about 6 hours now. Phew.

I enjoy indoor and outdoor skating when possible in the PNW. Aside from weather we have to drive an hour to the rink (when there is NO snow) or 40 minutes to a smooth road in summer.

I'm now delving into quads after the girls (they started at session a year ago)...husband will be last to follow. Dang...who needs another sport???

Luigino ultras
Bont carbon quad racers
phatnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2012, 09:51 AM   #13
ice princess

In general I prefere online privacy, but few words about me to avoid confusion

I'm not female - it's just a user name - someone called me so, many years ago, when seeing me ice skating. I live in saxonia / Germany, and I'm in men's best age. Started with skating in 1998 on rec. skates, switched to speed a year later, but always just for fun. Competed in several road races over the years, but when family and job gets more important few years ago, I lost shape and motivation... But since this year I've adjusted priorities a bit, started regular training 2..3 times a week, trying to wear out my old equipment (and the not so old too) and to catch up again to the guys I was skating with the years before. In the beginning I was more adicted to the equipment, but over the years I got more wise, and recognized what really makes me faster (no, not dope!)

I read many posts in this forum over the years, so roughly I know how to judge some of the other users - even not everyone. Joined this forum, because the local ones suffered alot, and this one is more up to date with almost everything about skating.
ice princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2012, 08:52 PM   #14
Jayant

Smile Jay here..

Hi,

Jayant (Jay) here! 40 years old. Ya, never dreamed I'd be into speed. It started 4 years ago dusting off some K2 Express 2000's skates I bought around 2000. In addition seeing olympic speed-skaters. For some reason it "stuck" this time 'around. I was hooked *though never thought I'd become so addicted. I did it mainly to supplement weight training with interesting cardio. I loved the workout and though terribly sore afterward (a great feeling sore) I wanted to do it again and again! And I did do it again and again again!! *I began to watch videos and happened upon Mr. Matzinger and the double-push. That really inspired me. Nonetheless I spent hours in the parking by the University of Toledo here working on technique and exercises to improve. I decided after 2 years to
Move up to bigger wheels and bought some Mach 100's (k2) with the hi-lo set up. Loved those skates! Still yet perusing the inline warehouse website, I never thought I'd pick up a pair of those crazy yet beautiful looking speedskates. "now those are *insane!" I'd think. * Somewhere along the journey I started thinking about competition. Dunno why, perhaps *just the athlete in me refusing to completely lie dormant. I hadn't competed in anything since cycling in college. Maybe it was the fact that I have a tendency to push myself like I am training or competing for something. Again, maybe just all the years of sports I did- running, basketball, swimming, football, etc. Sometime in the winter I began to dream of speed skates and eventually got some at the end of May (Bont Semi- race 3pt.) They came on the same day that my K2 Mach 100's got stolen out of my car. Go figure! I entered my 1st race in July (Chicagoland) and skated the 1/2 marathon distance. Had a blast! Now I'm seeking to do indoors over the winter. Just experienced 1st speed practice last week. That was quite different but exhilarating. So who knows where this journey might lead.
Jayant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 04:59 PM   #15
Timbostang

Hi, I'm Tim. I'm 42 and live in Conroe Tx.

I'm a fairly new skater. I use to skate every once in a while when I was a kid. When I got out of the Marines I bought some k2 Flight 76s for my wife and I. I might have put 50 miles on them. Here recently I noticed my daughters aptitude for skating and decided to get us both started with Texas Speed Club. So we have been skating for 2 and a half months now. I bought her some Luigino Kids Challenge adjustables about a month ago so she is still getting use to them. I got some k2 radical 100 hybrids on 4x105 z-frames and found them too mushy. Just got some Luigino strut boots last week and mounted them on the z-frame. I've got weak ankles so I'm having a tough time adjusting. We attended a speed skate clinic last month and found out just how bad our ability and technique really are. Or it could just be that they should have listed it as an advanced clinic and we would not have went.

My 100m lap time is a 13.2 and hers is 14.5. So this is where we are now!!
Timbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2013, 05:26 AM   #16
darthblader

Welcome aboard, Tim! I'm a Conroe-dweller myself...pretty much mostly skate at Carl Barton Jr park on 336. Is Texas Speed Club out of Rainbo? Guess I'll have to google that...
darthblader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Timbostang

They are at the Humble Family Skate Center. Every once in a blue moon they will go have a practice at Rainbow. I actually won some Renfest tickets at Rainbow last week on Sunday skating on my quads in the 18+ skate races.
Timbostang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 11:45 PM   #18
TAP135

Default No so new

Hi all.

more like reNew again to the forum, It's been a long time since I've been on this forum.

I'm new to the Raleigh,NC area and I am looking for other skaters to skate with. I relocated from the Philadelphia area and I've been skating for a long time.

I skate alone for the most part at the moment on the local trails roads in the area.
TAP135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:50 PM   #19
tucker16
Quads are my hotrods

Default 21 years off and back at it

Hello all

My names Tom Smith, Been retired from speed skating for a good while now and just recently started back up with a speed team in Indiana. Got my kids into speed skating about six months ago on both quad and inlines. Been a tough road back for me as I really have not taken care of myself as well as I should have and a few injures since back in the day. Starting back up has really been great for me and the kids absolutely love it.
I skated from 1989-1992 in the south central region for pasadena tx speed team and also deerpark tx speed team. Occasionaly practiced at champions out of spring tx too. Looking to share /receive knowledge of the sport.

Thanks all. T Smith
tucker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2012, 07:56 PM   #20
hotzenplotz

Hi, I'm Julian, 30 years old. I live in Mannheim in southwest Germany. I started skating when I was about 10 (started with ice skating, roller skating) and soon noticed the inline skaters on the paths. It was the time when the sport became really popular here. A few years later almost everyone my age owned a pair of aggressive skates, but I always liked skating on trails better.

Later I almost stopped skating until I started again 2 years ago. Bought speed skates (Powerslide R2) last summer and started to compete in local races and I really liked it. It must have been skating which has got me back into cycling as well. This year I've been getting around town almost entirely by bicycle. So now I am the fittest I have ever been and want to go on like that. To make my skating more of a social activity I recently joined the local club which happens to be based in my town, lucky me!

I have been on this forum for quite some time, just reading and not commenting. I think this thread is a great idea cause you learn something about the background of other skaters.
I have to agree with K2Sk8er that in this sport, you can feel quite lonesome at times. When I go trail skating I very rarely meet other, say, ambitioned skaters. Thank goodness there is a place like this forum
hotzenplotz is offline   Reply With Quote