S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | SkateLog.com | Email    

Home

*** The SkateLog Forum is Moving to SkateDebate Dot Com ***
(select above link for more information)

How To Get a User Account in the New SkateDebate Forum
(new home of the SkateLog Forum)

How To Get a User Account in the SkateLog Forum
(Note: this forum is going off-line in June of 2020)

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Artistic Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Artistic Skating Forum Discussions about any topic related to artistic roller skating including quad artistic skating, inline figure skating, pairs, dance, synchronized skating, and show skating.

Old February 15th, 2012, 08:05 AM   #1
RollergirlAlyce

Question Roll line VS Komplex

Hey everyone!
I'm looking to trial the Komplex freestyle wheels, so could someone pretty please tell me the closest equivalent to Roll line Panther and Roll line Fox from the Komplex Freestyle wheel range?
I don't know how to tell the difference between numbers such as HD46 and 97A ect.
I so look forward to any info you all could tell me!
Alyce xx
RollergirlAlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Ancient1

Hi Alyce,
Welcome. I wish I could answer you, but I have not tried either of them. I am sure from the knowledge base of our skaters here that someone will be able to answer you.
Old February 15th, 2012, 10:57 AM   #3
rwsz

dont know the other wheel from the rolline but the hardnesses cant be compared until you skate them because its not uniform and different and set by each company, good luck and let us know what u think.
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
RollergirlAlyce

Thank you
I have been speaking to some skaters and I've chosen Komplex angel 40HD and Komplex Angel 45HD. Eventually I will also get Komplex Angel 48HD.
RollergirlAlyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 11:46 AM   #5
KMA

I know from talking to a friend who is a rocket scientist (just think that is funny, he really is one, and that they do exist) the hardness scale d really is something scientific and not made up to confound us artistic roller skaters.

That being said you have to try the wheels because even though the d scale is consistent, the rink conditions are not (cold floor, dirty floor, dirty cold floor, wood *sigh* floor). And the skater conditions are different.

I LOVE my grease, others hate them. One of our club members skates everything in her figure wheels.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 01:52 PM   #6
skate mech

My understanding is that the durometer rating is actually a DENSITY rating, not hardness, but density obviously has a large effect on hardness. The "A" scale rates Plastics with different properties than the "D" scale. There is a crossover for apparent hardness, but there are other factors than hardness when comparing wheels.
skate mech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM   #7
sk84luv
..., therefore, I skate.

Default Skates US Learning Center

The Wheels have 2 numbers on them that count.

1. The Wheel Hardness is measured on the Shore scale:

Either on the D scale or the A scale

D scales are for hardness of Plastic Compound Wheels

A scales are for hardness of Urethane Compound Wheels

The lower the Number the Softer the Wheel Provides More Grip with a little Less Roll

The higher the Number the Harder the Wheel Provides a little Less Grip with More Roll

2. The Wheel Diameter is measured in millimeters

55mm and 57mm are used for Free Style skating, primarily. (the 55mm are based on a lowering of the center of gravity)

63mm are used for Dance Wheels, Derby and General Skating

63mm are used for the LARGE Figure Circles

61mm and 62mm are used for Hockey and Speed (are based on just a small lowering of the center of gravity)

60mm are used for LOOPS

The Hardness between the US and Europe do not exactly line up

US 101A would be most like a Grease 95A

US 103A would be most like a Grease 97A

Roll-Line most often provides 4 or more Hardness in each Style of Wheels
Old February 21st, 2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Molydomancer

It's funny - here in the UK everyone pretty much used Roll Line wheels for the past 10 years or so that my kids have been competing. Now Komplexes seem to becoming more the fashion. Roll Line still rule but I see more Komplexes and some brave sould are even using STD wheels.
Molydomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2012, 03:18 PM   #9
QuetzalPhoenix

I've just bought some STD MEST for figures! I've yet to try them out though, but hopefully will this Sunday! *dances for joy* So will let you guys know how that goes.

As for which Komplex wheels are most like Roll-Line Panthers, I'd say the HD55's and the HD60s probs most like the Foxes. Not sure they're feel the same though because I think they're made of a different material

I love the look of Komplex wheels, but I love 55mm wheels for free skating, and Komplex only comes in 57mm for free at the mo
Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:42 PM   #10
rwsz

55 or 57, not much difference to be honest, most skaters here use 57 for freestyle.
Old February 24th, 2012, 10:26 PM   #11
QuetzalPhoenix

I dunno, I've definitely found I have more control on my spins since downsizing from 57mm to 55mm. They've suited me better anywho
Old February 25th, 2012, 10:54 AM   #12
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuetzalPhoenix View Post
I dunno, I've definitely found I have more control on my spins since downsizing from 57mm to 55mm. They've suited me better anywho
thats good it worked for you but did you also change wheel maker and what about the hardness, that can play into it also.
Old February 25th, 2012, 06:25 PM   #13
KMA

When I switch to my formacs which are 55mm (I think) I feel really short. Jumps, spins, etc are all easier on those.

Katy
KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2012, 01:33 AM   #14
slhallford
Loops, love the loops!

I use freestyle 57mm all year for dance and loops. I switch to dance wheels the week before a competition. The freestyle wheels really helped me work on my sad, pathetic dance push and pattern and they let me play with jumps and spins with the kids. When those dance wheels are on, I can FLY round the floor.

S
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:54 PM   #15
QuetzalPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsz View Post
thats good it worked for you but did you also change wheel maker and what about the hardness, that can play into it also.
Hey Rick nope, same hardness and Roll-line wheels. I'm pretty pessimistic about trying new stuff too, I doubt that anything will make a difference to my shoddy skating lol, but these deffo seemed to improve it a bit.
Old February 28th, 2012, 10:55 PM   #16
QuetzalPhoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMA View Post
When I switch to my formacs which are 55mm (I think) I feel really short. Jumps, spins, etc are all easier on those.

Katy
I agree, I definitely feel taller with 57mm wheels than 55mm. I prefer to be closer to the ground
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:03 AM   #17
mikoskate
From Italy with Love

hello everyone from Italy!
I use roll-line wheels (grease 88A-92A and 97A) and they are amazing.. good response on the skates!
in italy we have 90% of skaters which use roll-line wheels.. 7-8% of skaters which use Star wheels... Komplex wheels aren't diffused.. only 2-3% of us uses these wheels..
mikoskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:37 AM   #18
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoskate View Post
hello everyone from Italy!
I use roll-line wheels (grease 88A-92A and 97A) and they are amazing.. good response on the skates!
in italy we have 90% of skaters which use roll-line wheels.. 7-8% of skaters which use Star wheels... Komplex wheels aren't diffused.. only 2-3% of us uses these wheels..
Miko hello again, i take it your a dance skater, what level, world class or jwc? i know Anna Iannucci and Melissa and Merko when they use to come over here in the usa, nice people all of them. Anna is my adopted Italian daughter lol,,,,,,not really but we say so
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:52 AM   #19
mikoskate
From Italy with Love

yes, I'm a dance skated.. unfortunately i never went to worlds or european championships due to a severe knee injury who took me away from skates for 5 years. i started to skate again in 2009, in 2011 i re-made my first competitions and we (me and my partner cristina) got 2nd place at the italian championships. this year we are working hard to improve our results and maybe enetering in the italian team which goes at european championship and worlds!

melissa comin de candido and mirko pontello are my gods they are a masterpiece of dance but, i have to tell you.. i prefer Kyle turley and heather menard... they are simply amazing in compulsory dances!
my coach (andrea gandolfi, i don't know if you know it) watches a lot of their videos
Old February 29th, 2012, 10:58 AM   #20
rwsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikoskate View Post
yes, I'm a dance skated.. unfortunately i never went to worlds or european championships due to a severe knee injury who took me away from skates for 5 years. i started to skate again in 2009, in 2011 i re-made my first competitions and we (me and my partner cristina) got 2nd place at the italian championships. this year we are working hard to improve our results and maybe enetering in the italian team which goes at european championship and worlds!

melissa comin de candido and mirko pontello are my gods they are a masterpiece of dance but, i have to tell you.. i prefer Kyle turley and heather menard... they are simply amazing in compulsory dances!
my coach (andrea gandolfi, i don't know if you know it) watches a lot of their videos
I dont know Andrea personally, i met Sandro once when he came here to work with Eric Anderson years ago lol. sorry about your knee injury and good luck with your comeback, sounds like your doing fine. hope you make the world team this year, will look forward to watching you streamed online. Mirko and Melissa came over here at our rink and took compulsorary dances from John Viola, Heather use to skate out of our rink also before she skated with Kyle. she also took from John for many years. they are very good skaters, all of them are to think of it.

good luck to you and Christina.

Tags
freestyle, hardness, komplex, roll line, wheels