S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old September 23rd, 2011, 07:52 PM   #21
passthefire

I guess I should put my 2 cents in since I am a floor guard. I have skated at one rink were there was no floor guard, but it was a Sunday afternoon with only a few people there, another rink was it was a Saturday afternoon where the manager came out on the floor a few times.

The rink where I work at has always had a floor guard. Last Sunday we had around 400 people there and there were 3 floor guards working. 2 were on the floor at all times. At birthday parties there will always be kids that have not skated before. When I am working a day with more than 2 party I am kept very busy. Sometimes I have felt like a baby sitter. I have learned to be firm but genital. I deal with teens differently than I do with little kids. I have been told never to argue with the people if there is a problem to go get the owner/operator. Whenever I can I try to encourage the kids that are not very good skaters and given them a few tips on skating. Bottom line is the floor guard must be a excellent skater. Not intimidated by people that want to talk back. Be very vigilant at all times. Most of the time I try be proactive. So I can correct a problem before it happens. The rules are there to protect the skaters so whenever I need correct someone I always say we just want to keep you safe. Most of the time they are not aware of the rule, even though they are announced before each session.
Old September 25th, 2011, 04:08 AM   #22
retread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarf77 View Post
When i was in the UK the Colchester Roller World had zero skate guards and crazy kids weaving in and out and through and under others without much control. They went FAST through everyone, often knocking people over or bumping people into the wall/middle.

It was a crazy experience, but really fun as I tend not to fall when I'm in an impact with those smaller than myself!

If it were like that at my rink, I don't think we would go. Our skate guards are at the other end of the spectrum. They concern themselves with how many buttons are done up on your sweater and that your jacket is at least 51% zipped up.

What rink would that be? I see you are in Baldwin, ever go to Sportsmans Hall?

Bob

Last edited by retread; September 25th, 2011 at 03:36 PM.
retread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 07:54 AM   #23
Howell Family
Geriatric Member

I'm amazed to read that so many rinks don't have floor guards. At my rink (Semoran Skateway) we have one floor guard on at all times during the day, two guards for nightly sessions and if we hit 300 or more people on the floor we add a third. I can't imagine a packed session with NO floor guards. That's just crazy!

WTB-Roll Line Giotto 150-170mm...PM me
Howell Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 01:38 PM   #24
Gypsyjuggler

I've seen how much chaos can happen when there is just one kid who decides to do his own thing on the floor. I would not want to skate someplace that did not have at least one floor guard out there.

Gypsyjuggler
Gypsyjuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2011, 02:48 PM   #25
Holiday Guy
Doing It Old School

Sometimes no guard or rules the session may look like this:. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBDFkQtxRxY or this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvdLCAC59jE even this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vq2r7hPUNo
Old September 25th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #26
skaterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by passthefire View Post
I guess I should put my 2 cents in since I am a floor guard. I have skated at one rink were there was no floor guard, but it was a Sunday afternoon with only a few people there, another rink was it was a Saturday afternoon where the manager came out on the floor a few times.

The rink where I work at has always had a floor guard. Last Sunday we had around 400 people there and there were 3 floor guards working. 2 were on the floor at all times. At birthday parties there will always be kids that have not skated before. When I am working a day with more than 2 party I am kept very busy. Sometimes I have felt like a baby sitter. I have learned to be firm but genital. I deal with teens differently than I do with little kids. I have been told never to argue with the people if there is a problem to go get the owner/operator. Whenever I can I try to encourage the kids that are not very good skaters and given them a few tips on skating. Bottom line is the floor guard must be a excellent skater. Not intimidated by people that want to talk back. Be very vigilant at all times. Most of the time I try be proactive. So I can correct a problem before it happens. The rules are there to protect the skaters so whenever I need correct someone I always say we just want to keep you safe. Most of the time they are not aware of the rule, even though they are announced before each session.
I'm not sure that's the best way to deal with things.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #27
Dec8rSk8r

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Agreed. Soft genitals around children only.
Dec8rSk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:01 PM   #28
passthefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaterdog View Post
Can you go more in depth to what you mean. Are you talking about how I talk to people?
Old September 26th, 2011, 05:40 PM   #29
Skatervideoguy

Hey passthefire,

You used the wrong WORD !!

Quote:
I have learned to be firm but genital.
"Gentle" is what I hope you meant.

Harold
Old October 25th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #30
skaterdog

Still no skate guards here.
skaterdog is offline   Reply With Quote