S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Speed Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Speed Skating Forum Most of the discussions in this forum will be about inline speed skating but discussions about ice speed skating and quad roller speed skating are also welcome.

Old March 14th, 2014, 11:26 AM   #81
livebychance

Default We just might

"Learn to skate" is right. I'm really trying my best to focus on my technique
to accomplish my next goal, before my 50th .
Our paths could vey well cross, as speed skating is a small family.
livebychance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2014, 02:26 PM   #82
Kerrida

Well, I figured I would introduce myself finally after lurking for a while. As of tomorrow I'll finally have a pair of skates again. It's been at least ten years since I've had a useable pair, though more like 14 since I've actively skated in any fashion.

I used to love to go to the skating rink as a kid, though I rarely ever got to go unless I was visiting cousins or spending the night with some friends. Well, at first I hated it because I never could figure out quad skates. I could however fare better on the rental speed skate quads for some reason. However it wasn't until I got to try ice skating and then got a pair of inlines that I really liked skating.

And I skated them like crazy up and down my street, lol. Few times I go to go to a rink I was dumb and would try to keep up with the speedy ones, and I'd do fine until force won over the boats (comparatively) that I had lol. Never did think to try to talk my parents into letting me take up speedskating. I mostly stuck to track (mainly the 3200m), basketball, and soccer.

Anyways it's been a long time since those days. I had a chance to go ice skating with some friends and the bug bit me again and I remembered the fun I had trying to chase down the speedskaters at the rink.. so.. I hunted and found a local team and you guys. Has taken about six weeks to get here, but I'll be picking up my skates this weekend and ready to make my legs hate me when I start practice on Tuesday
Kerrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2014, 01:34 AM   #83
347mustang

Hi my name is Jeremiah. I used to speed skate back in the 90's and I decided to get back into it. I have been browsing this forum for awhile and decided to join and hopefully contribute to the site. I just recently bought a pair of luigino strut skates and I am slowly starting to skate again.
347mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2014, 01:10 AM   #84
swolltitan
Getting Back Into It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrida View Post
I had a chance to go ice skating with some friends and the bug bit me again and I remembered the fun I had trying to chase down the speedskaters at the rink.. so.. I hunted and found a local team and you guys. Has taken about six weeks to get here, but I'll be picking up my skates this weekend and ready to make my legs hate me when I start practice on Tuesday
Which team? Tuesdays I assume Don will be coaching ya?
Old March 25th, 2014, 03:49 AM   #85
Kerrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolltitan View Post
Which team? Tuesdays I assume Don will be coaching ya?
It'll be with Precision, and yeah Tuesdays will be my usual night. I actually live right about equidistant from all the rinks they hold practice at since I'm close to 400 and 285. I'm honestly not sure who will be coaching me, but I'd assume Mr. B. I met Mr. B and Jimmy at the Spring Fling this weekend. Understandably no practice this week as everyone's tired. Basically I'm just jumping in and will roll with it and enjoy myself.
Kerrida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 01:18 PM   #86
jamersk

Smile New Member Introduction

Hello Everyone,

I just joined today. I am a father of two boys (5 yrs and 8 yrs). We are all speed skaters. We started inline speed skating last year. Prior to that, we lived in Canada where we were ice only. No ice here in Taiwan so we started doing inline. All of us switched from beginning skates (72 mm wheels) to speed skates (110 mm wheels) about 6 months ago. We enjoy the skating very much. It is very popular here - lots of skating trails and 200m banked tracks.
jamersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2014, 01:31 AM   #87
Thunnus

After trying for quite some time to join, I finally got in. I have been reading this forum for a few years now and I really learn a lot every time I stop by. I fell in love with speed skating while watching Bonnie Blair in the 1988 winter Olympics. After the closing ceremonies, I immediately signed up for ice skating lessons and purchased some inline skates. I never stayed with ice, but I skated inline for fun back then as a kid, then didn't skate at all through college. My wife bought me a pair of rec skates in 2002 and we used to skate for fun every now and then for a year or two. Then in 2011 I found the skates again and really got back into skating more seriously. I bought a pair of Bont semi-race in June 2012, upgraded to Bont Z at the beginning of 2014 and the rest is history. I skate as much as I can to stay in shape. I skated 2,462.5 miles in 2013 and my plan is to beat that this year. I am so happy to have found a sport that I love which is also great exercise. I live in Florida so it is nice to be able to trail skate all year. Unfortunately, we don't have any race options down here in South Florida so I have yet to participate in a 1/2 or full marathon. Maybe someday.
Thunnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2014, 09:07 PM   #88
zerkotin

Default Itzik

Hi, my name is Itzik, 31 from Israel,
Very attracted to trying speed skating.
My current skate is a fila m100 boot with m90 frame.
I'm skating 2 to 4 times a week 1-3 hours each time, mostly in parks and city roads.
I'm curious to know if a speed skate will be more comfortable for long distance or less comfortable, and if you experience blisters on your first times.
Currently I'm considering a few skates:
Fila f100 or matrix, luigino strut or sting or maybe challenge ultra, and bont z.
My foot measures at 26.6.
My fila m100 is size 40.5 and it's making my toes go numb after half an hour or so and that's when I go barefoot.

Lots of questions, I'll just have to try
zerkotin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2014, 10:45 PM   #89
tat2mike
808 Addiction!

Hello Everyone,
Mike here..been over on the quad side for a long while. Skated speed on quads in the mid 80s to the early 90s.
My daughter is 7 years old and I plan on putting her on a team very soon. So I am making the transition myself to do it with her.
Wish me luck lol
tat2mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2014, 11:32 AM   #90
Ivinst

Default newbie

Hi all
Tara here from South Wales Uk.
In the process of setting up a speed skating club.
I already teach Skate smart and also run an artistic roller skating club in Cardiff and looking to possible starting a club for each roller skating sport. Also run a successful roller skating business with my business partner.
This year is definitely a good year for roller sport in the UK.
My skates are made up of roll line mistral plate and grease 88a wheels with an edea flamenco boot. Will be looking at other wheels but would never part with my artistic skates.
Ivinst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:03 AM   #91
jen0farc

After months of lurking, I've finally joined! I'm a longtime ice figure skater who got bit by the inline speed bug. I got some skates to skate in the park by my home for fitness, then I did a half-marathon in my home city and won a medal and was hooked! I upgraded to speed skates and just love the wind in my hair as I skate outdoors. I've tried to find coaching but it seems like you have to live in California or Pennsylvania or Florida to find any active clubs or coaches. So here I am looking for tips!
jen0farc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:15 AM   #92
WJCIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0farc View Post
I've tried to find coaching but it seems like you have to live in California or Pennsylvania or Florida to find any active clubs or coaches. So here I am looking for tips!
The USARS club finder is down, so I can't look up indoor teams right now, but how about Empire Skate? I don't know how active they are, but there was a new event posted in April of this year, so they might not be completely defunct. At the very least there are probably still a few members around that can help you.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 01:59 PM   #93
jen0farc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
The USARS club finder is down, so I can't look up indoor teams right now, but how about Empire Skate? I don't know how active they are, but there was a new event posted in April of this year, so they might not be completely defunct. At the very least there are probably still a few members around that can help you.
Hey WJCIV! Well before USARS club finder went down a week or so ago I searched and the closest active club is about 3 hours away in western NJ/PA. Empire isn't registered anymore, their website hasn't been updated since around 2010 I believe, but I've reached out to the gentleman who coaches/coached it and I'm hopeful maybe he's still active and he'll still be willing to at least help out with a private lesson or something. I'm actually a figure skating coach myself so I'm having my husband videotape me on inlines and I'm trying to compare it to how speed skaters skate so perhaps I can figure out a few form things on my own. Ice was great for understanding all about edges, but all those years of perfect posture are not helping me at all ....
Old August 3rd, 2014, 02:16 PM   #94
WJCIV

Quote:
Hey WJCIV! Well before USARS club finder went down a week or so ago I searched and the closest active club is about 3 hours away in western NJ/PA.
That might be a little bit deceptive. There are a lot of "super teams" in indoor skating right now that skate out of several different rinks, but they only register through one. It might be worth contacting a coach from a close team to see if they know of a rink in your area that actually has a team.

You might also call the rink in Kendall Park, NJ if an hour isn't too much for you to drive (according to Google Maps, but I don't think that includes traffic). They at least had a team a couple of years ago, but their website has been ignored too. I don't know if the team was USARS affiliated or not. The good teams are, but there are a few local training leagues popping up here and there which are not.

Quote:
Empire isn't registered anymore, their website hasn't been updated since around 2010 I believe, but I've reached out to the gentleman who coaches/coached it and I'm hopeful maybe he's still active and he'll still be willing to at least help out with a private lesson or something.
I noticed the website hadn't been updated except for listing a couple new events, but I assume that the Francisco Ramirez listed is the one who is a rep for MPC wheels. If so, I think he was at Indoor Nationals a few weeks back, so he was probably practicing somewhere. Good luck!

Quote:
I'm actually a figure skating coach myself so I'm having my husband videotape me on inlines and I'm trying to compare it to how speed skaters skate so perhaps I can figure out a few form things on my own.
If you have the videos, feel free to post them to YouTube and start a thread with some links.

I love the phrase "I quit". It beats more of my opponents than I do.
WJCIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 07:11 PM   #95
matguy

Quote:
After months of lurking, I've finally joined! I'm a longtime ice figure skater who got bit by the inline speed bug. I got some skates to skate in the park by my home for fitness, then I did a half-marathon in my home city and won a medal and was hooked! I upgraded to speed skates and just love the wind in my hair as I skate outdoors. I've tried to find coaching but it seems like you have to live in California or Pennsylvania or Florida to find any active clubs or coaches. So here I am looking for tips!
Hey, no mention of Seattle? We've got a bunch of great teams around here. (not that that helps you in the slightest bit.)
matguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:00 PM   #96
JandKLarson

Quote:
There is actually a group that skates indoors and out in the metro NYC area. It is the Empire Speed Team, run by Francisco Ramirez (who, as WJCIV mentioned was at Indoor Nationals a couple weeks ago, as were a lot of us who compete in indoor). If you are on Facebook, Empire Speed Team has an active FB page/group where they post when they are getting together in Central Park, meeting at speedskaters curb (and I just checked to be sure it is active, and it is, as they posted practices at CP during the past week). There is also a group of skaters in Brooklyn, and I know the Empire group also skates with them at Prospect Park. Francisco does coach indoors as well, at Branch Brook Park roller rink in Newark. I think with Nationals over, they are taking a break from indoors for a month or so (as many teams are). A number of NYC skaters go to his indoor practices in the colder weather months, so there would be other people from the City taking the trip over when they have practices. Francisco's indoor team is combined with another rink in PA, together they are the Ohana Racing team. The Big Apple Roll was going on this weekend too in the City. Another good contact for Empire Speed, and Fran's team, is a guy by the name of Mike Grebinsky. Very nice guy, also active in the skate school in the City and the NYC Skate Patrol. He's on FB. If you need help getting in touch with any of these people, let me know. Welcome to SLF. Julie
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2014, 08:56 PM   #97
jen0farc

Quote:
Originally Posted by matguy View Post
Hey, no mention of Seattle? We've got a bunch of great teams around here. (not that that helps you in the slightest bit.)
Speed teams AND the Pike Place Market? No fair, Seattleites get all the good stuff ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJCIV View Post
I noticed the website hadn't been updated except for listing a couple new events, but I assume that the Francisco Ramirez listed is the one who is a rep for MPC wheels. If so, I think he was at Indoor Nationals a few weeks back, so he was probably practicing somewhere. Good luck!
Hey again, yes Mr. Ramirez is who I reached out to, thanks so much. I like your idea about posting a video, let me get over my shyness about it and make sure we get one where it's a decent shot and I'll definitely do it! The skater who posted their Chicago video caught some of me from the back but we were in a downhill glide so there's nothing of my stride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JandKLarson View Post
. If you are on Facebook, Empire Speed Team has an active FB page/group where they post when they are getting together in Central Park, meeting at speedskaters curb (and I just checked to be sure it is active, and it is, as they posted practices at CP during the past week). Julie
Hi Julie! Yes I'm on Facebook, I saw the practices Empire posts but I was a bit nervous about just showing up and crashing one considering I'm a beginner and don't feel like I can hang with a pack (yet!) So I've just been waiting to make sure I hear back from someone first.

I saw your JKL folks at my first ever Trexlertown race last weekend and was so impressed, everyone was so nice and supportive (I was the slowpoke lady in the shorts and tank top ... and hopefully a smile) and my husband and I had so much fun! After the occasional half marathon event here and there it was a blast to actually get to sit back and watch other races, it was almost more fun than racing them yourself! We can't wait for the next one!!

Thank you to everyone for the NYC contact tips and support, it's a lovely welcome.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 11:01 PM   #98
JandKLarson

Quote:
Hi Julie! Yes I'm on Facebook, I saw the practices Empire posts but I was a bit nervous about just showing up and crashing one considering I'm a beginner and don't feel like I can hang with a pack (yet!) So I've just been waiting to make sure I hear back from someone first..
Just go!! The group is always open to new people, so just go! Don't bother waiting to hear back from Fran. I know there are some newer people in the group, and people we know in the group are very welcoming. We all started out as new skaters at one point in time. The group in Brooklyn also has a FB page, Brooklyn Speed Team.

Quote:
I saw your JKL folks at my first ever Trexlertown race last weekend and was so impressed, everyone was so nice and supportive (I was the slowpoke lady in the shorts and tank top ... and hopefully a smile) and my husband and I had so much fun! After the occasional half marathon event here and there it was a blast to actually get to sit back and watch other races, it was almost more fun than racing them yourself! We can't wait for the next one!!
That's great! We will see you at the next race in a couple weeks!!
JandKLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2014, 02:37 PM   #99
jaytee001if

Hi there.

I have recently rejoined SLF after a break of over a year or so and am interested in the Speed and distance disciplines of inline skating. I started inline skating about 3 and a half years ago (when I was slightly nearer 40yrs than 50...although no more) and have enjoyed the ride so far.
I basically started doing extended distances as roadwork for Rollerhockey which I still play, but have found that this has taken over the hockey in terms of enjoyment. I have participated in a couple of marathon events over the past year and felt that I coped fairly well- 2hrs 3m for the first outing, 1hr 59m for the most recent (both un-pacelined and on 84mm K2's)- but have been bitten by the bug.
Hope you don't mind a complete beginner chipping in for some advice in the near future re. technique, skates, training etc.

Regards

J
jaytee001if is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #100
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaytee001if View Post
Hi there.

I have recently rejoined SLF after a break of over a year or so and am interested in the Speed and distance disciplines of inline skating. I started inline skating about 3 and a half years ago (when I was slightly nearer 40yrs than 50...although no more) and have enjoyed the ride so far.
I basically started doing extended distances as roadwork for Rollerhockey which I still play, but have found that this has taken over the hockey in terms of enjoyment. I have participated in a couple of marathon events over the past year and felt that I coped fairly well- 2hrs 3m for the first outing, 1hr 59m for the most recent (both un-pacelined and on 84mm K2's)- but have been bitten by the bug.
Hope you don't mind a complete beginner chipping in for some advice in the near future re. technique, skates, training etc.

Regards

J
Beginners are always welcome. There is a ton of information and a lot of very knowledgeable skaters that post on the speed board. Pretty good marathon pace for 84mm wheels outside of a pace line. Keep at it and never be shy about asking questions. Welcome to the forum.