S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 26th, 2017, 02:51 AM   #1
hoohoorjoo

Default New Old Guy Here....

Hey folks, my name is Tim and I have recently re-kindled my love for skating after a 20+ year hiatus. I have been reading here since February, but didn't feel I had anything valid to contribute.... until I bought a set of custom Phantom Wides from Aussie Scott!
Here's how I got back to the rink at 44 yrs old: my 12 yr. old daughter asked for skates last Christmas. We bought her a set of Dart Hombres, just to see if it was something she would stick with. We have been at the rink at least once every weekend since then lol! So she now rolls Riedell 195's with limited edition green Power Trac plates and 98A Zombies. And that's what led me here after a quick google search. I will be jumping in with more stuff in the near future. I will try to get some pics of all our skates up soon, maybe tonight if I have time.

Last edited by hoohoorjoo; October 26th, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
hoohoorjoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 04:02 AM   #2
hoohoorjoo

Here comes a few pics of our skates.....

My skates:

Daughter's skates:

Old October 26th, 2017, 02:07 PM   #3
amohrfeld

How do you like the Solaris boots? I'm thinking of getting a set.
amohrfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 03:37 PM   #4
Tislord

Welcome...I had a very similar experience 18 year hiatus then took the kids one weekend and every weekend since.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #5
hoohoorjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amohrfeld View Post
How do you like the Solaris boots? I'm thinking of getting a set.
I have a very wide forefoot, right across my toes. The Solaris fits just right without pinching, in spite of the boot being designated a "C" width in that area. There was virtually no break-in time, with the boots being very comfortable right away, with no heat molding necessary. The only "hot spot" has been right across the top of the tongue, where the laces cinch down. And even that hasn't caused a blister, just a little discomfort, which has subsided with use. I have skated them approximately 12 times for 3-4 hr. open skate sessions and I really like them. The strap for the heel is very similar to the Oberhamer low-top boots of old. The strap does a great job of locking in your heel without pinching anywhere. My only concern is if the loops in the nylon straps will get cut by the laces over time, much like the old 122 and 395 boots have been known to do.
Old October 26th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #6
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Great photos of great skates!

I tried on a pair of Solaris at the local skate shop when the sales rep was there with all of the sizes during one of their events. I never should have done that. Can't get them out of my head now.

Welcome (back)!
Old October 27th, 2017, 01:55 AM   #7
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Old Old guy here. Welcome. Nice pics.

I finally put in a good hard night last night. I have slipped out of shape and just have not put together a good night skating in the last 7 or 8 outings. But a good one Wednesday, and hopefully another on Friday.
Old October 27th, 2017, 04:18 PM   #8
amohrfeld

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoohoorjoo View Post
I have a very wide forefoot, right across my toes. The Solaris fits just right without pinching, in spite of the boot being designated a "C" width in that area. There was virtually no break-in time, with the boots being very comfortable right away, with no heat molding necessary. The only "hot spot" has been right across the top of the tongue, where the laces cinch down. And even that hasn't caused a blister, just a little discomfort, which has subsided with use. I have skated them approximately 12 times for 3-4 hr. open skate sessions and I really like them. The strap for the heel is very similar to the Oberhamer low-top boots of old. The strap does a great job of locking in your heel without pinching anywhere. My only concern is if the loops in the nylon straps will get cut by the laces over time, much like the old 122 and 395 boots have been known to do.
How does the size of the of the Solaris compere to the 965?

I range between a 9.5 and 10 and am curious if the Solaris runs loose or tight.

Thanks
-Austin
Old October 27th, 2017, 10:17 PM   #9
hoohoorjoo

Smile Solaris is wider up front

Both my 965 and my Solaris are a size 9. The Solaris has more room in the toes, even though they are a "C/AA" width and the 965's are a "D/B". The length overall is very close, if not identical.
Old October 27th, 2017, 11:53 PM   #10
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Default I too wear 9s

My Solaris fits ~ like some of my well broken in A last 395s in front and much more snug in the heel, which is a good thing. No break in required in my case or the customers that have bought them. Too bad that due to the construction of the boot Riedell cannot make them in any other configuration so if the C/AA does not work for you it's not going to be a good option unless you spring for full custom. Riedell will build it w/a conventional sole if you really need a different width arrangement.

I'm gonna jump on my soap box for a second. Folks, PLEASE quit w/ the what size of this or that do you wear questions. In many cases it will be completely misleading. First, neither of you in the conversation know anything about how the other actually wears their sk8s. For example. I have a friend that wears 10 Riedells. He will gladly tell ya how great they fit...except they do not. What he needs 9 wide, but is too cheap to pop for the proper custom width.... and he wonders why his heel keeps coming out of his 195s...Wait didn't he just tell me how great the fit?? Pro tip: If ya want to compare sizes, go apples to apples, NOT apples to bananas.. The quickest way to get into the ball park is get measured on a men's Brannock device. Then you have a common reference to compare to. All 3 measurements, both feet. (If your sizes are different left to right, it is time to start thinking about paying up and split sizing boots). The arch length measurement can be very revealing to. It can explain why one sk8rs foot is fine in a particular size but another with the same length and width has issues. After that, discussion of street shoes may be good for cross reference, especially for ball diameter issues.

I see a lot of folks with a lot of very expensive sk8s that do not fit right. WTF folks. Close only counts in horseshoes, grenades , cluster bombs and nuclear weapons. Sk8s do not fit into any of those categories.

@ hoohoorjoo: I see your daughter has purple cushions on her P Tracs. Just as a matter of interest, I weigh 200 pounds and run the blue barrel w/ modified blue SG Super cones. The purple ones would (OK, actually they have) put me into the wall.

Old October 28th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #11
hoohoorjoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
@ hoohoorjoo: I see your daughter has purple cushions on her P Tracs. Just as a matter of interest, I weigh 200 pounds and run the blue barrel w/ modified blue SG Super cones. The purple ones would (OK, actually they have) put me into the wall.
Doc, I know all too well that those cushions are way too hard. I bought the skates used and just haven't gotten around to correcting it. I just told her I was getting her some yellow or blue cushions last night, while cleaning her bearings. She is just now learning to crossover, and I can see her struggle to get it right, even after I loosened her trucks up significantly. I need to PM you regarding the mod to the lower cones.
Old October 29th, 2017, 02:32 PM   #12
Tislord

Quote:
My Solaris fits ~ like some of my well broken in A last 395s in front and much more snug in the heel, which is a good thing. No break in required in my case or the customers that have bought them. Too bad that due to the construction of the boot Riedell cannot make them in any other configuration so if the C/AA does not work for you it's not going to be a good option unless you spring for full custom. Riedell will build it w/a conventional sole if you really need a different width arrangement.

I'm gonna jump on my soap box for a second. Folks, PLEASE quit w/ the what size of this or that do you wear questions. In many cases it will be completely misleading. First, neither of you in the conversation know anything about how the other actually wears their sk8s. For example. I have a friend that wears 10 Riedells. He will gladly tell ya how great they fit...except they do not. What he needs 9 wide, but is too cheap to pop for the proper custom width.... and he wonders why his heel keeps coming out of his 195s...Wait didn't he just tell me how great the fit?? Pro tip: If ya want to compare sizes, go apples to apples, NOT apples to bananas.. The quickest way to get into the ball park is get measured on a men's Brannock device. Then you have a common reference to compare to. All 3 measurements, both feet. (If your sizes are different left to right, it is time to start thinking about paying up and split sizing boots). The arch length measurement can be very revealing to. It can explain why one sk8rs foot is fine in a particular size but another with the same length and width has issues. After that, discussion of street shoes may be good for cross reference, especially for ball diameter issues.

I see a lot of folks with a lot of very expensive sk8s that do not fit right. WTF folks. Close only counts in horseshoes, grenades , cluster bombs and nuclear weapons. Sk8s do not fit into any of those categories.

I recently bought 2 Brannock devices men/womens and kids just to measure my family properly. Now I keep them at the rink in the pro shop. My wife length is about 5.5 in mens which is what she though she would need but man that arch measurement came in close to a 7 and low and behold the 5 did not fit but the 7 did. She has no toes I swear....flintstone feet.
Tislord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2017, 06:36 PM   #13
amohrfeld

Quote:

Doc,
In my experience Riedell's sizing is not consistent from boot to boot. I have been measured and am definitely a 10, standard width. However I wear a size 9.5 in some Riedell boots.
I wear a 10 in the 965 so this is about as close to apples to apples as I'll get.
I would like to make an educated guess to start since I don't like sending back boots. But other then that I agree with what you are saying.
Old October 29th, 2017, 10:23 PM   #14
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
...The quickest way to get into the ball park is get measured on a men's Brannock device....The arch length measurement can be very revealing to.
The arch length measurement IS your shoe size (assuming the shoes run true) or better put: The arch length measurement IS your FOOT SIZE. The number at the tip of your toes might tell you what sock size you wear, but that's about all. It is key to have the arch of your foot matched up with the arch of the footwear. How much toe room you have is irrelevant (unless your toes are hitting the toe-box which would be extremely rare once the arch length is determined).

I fit hiking boots, running shoes, and skates at an Adventure store for 15 years. The Brannock device was The Gospel! If a customer didn't trust our fitting we would not guarantee the fit. If an employee sold footwear without using the Brannock, they were fired.

FYI...my toe length is size 9 and my arch length is size 11. I wear size 11 in everything from dress shoes to skates. I have half an inch space in front of my toes. Never had one issue with that space being there. AND i have B width feet to complicate things but still no problems.

Yes...without proper use of the Brannock, there is no hope for sizing a foot properly.
Old October 30th, 2017, 01:17 AM   #15
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Yes...without proper use of the Brannock, there is no hope for sizing a foot properly.
Unless the boot is a Bont Quad racer. Very narrow sole. Get the overall length right, the rest molds right to your foot.
Old October 30th, 2017, 02:15 AM   #16
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
The arch length measurement IS your shoe size (assuming the shoes run true) or better put: The arch length measurement IS your FOOT SIZE.

I beg to differ...and so does Brannock.
Quote:
Compare the arch length to the heel-to-toe length. Generally you'll use the larger of the two measurements as the correct shoe size. If the arch length and heel-to-toe length are the same, this will be the shoe size. If the heel-to-toe length is larger than the arch length, then fit to the heel-to-toe size. If arch length is larger than heel-to-toe, then fit to arch length.
The number at the tip of your toes might tell you what sock size you wear, but that's about all.

Nope, it actually tells you what size sk8 boot to wear, or @ least what size to start out with.

It is key to have the arch of your foot matched up with the arch of the footwear.

True...IF you are walking on it. One does not flex the sole of a sk8 like one flexes the sole of any walking foot wear. Two different critters and requires a much different view point. Riedell used to sell Ritz sticks (maybe they still do, I have not looked) Those only provide shoe size based on toe length. My left foot is a Brannock 8 1/2, same as the Ritz. Now my arch length is a 9 on that foot, but I can speak from many pairs of personal experience a 9 is loose on that foot.

How much toe room you have is irrelevant (unless your toes are hitting the toe-box which would be extremely rare once the arch length is determined).

Not @ Jam'N'Speed... Sk8s are NOT walking / running / climbing/ hiking shoes. Depending on the application, I fit sk8s boots from touching the toe to maybe a half size bigger if the customer is sk8ing for fun and wants a relaxed fit.

I fit hiking boots, running shoes, and skates at an Adventure store for 15 years. The Brannock device was The Gospel! If a customer didn't trust our fitting we would not guarantee the fit. If an employee sold footwear without using the Brannock, they were fired.

Very cool but we are comparing apples and oranges. In a sk8 boot the arch length is indicative of one thing. Where the center of the ball of the foot lies in the boot. That directly speaks to front axle placement. Does not dictate it it but points one in the right direction.

FYI...my toe length is size 9 and my arch length is size 11. I wear size 11 in everything from dress shoes to skates. I have half an inch space in front of my toes. Never had one issue with that space being there. AND i have B width feet to complicate things but still no problems.

Well now, I just consulted my Brannock. An 11B just happens to come up to a 9 C-D. Of course one would want a narrower shoe if you went out to an 11 on 9 foot. I have been doing this since 1999 and have not changed my technique... Once I understood what the arch length was telling me and how it related to sk8ing I knew much more about where to place the front axles without having the foot in front of me. I have built sk8s for several feet that measure like yours do. Walked into the shop claiming size 10 or 11 feet and rolled out with 9 sk8s. All happy sk8rs.

I agree, up to a point. Just remember, sk8 boots/shoes are not used like walking shoes. Based on what you are telling me, you have more than 1/2" in front of your toes. More like 2/3" which is 2 full sizes... as in going from 9 to 11. Oh yeah, YMMV. I don't claim to have all the answers but I do feel I have this aspect of sk8 building pretty well sorted.

Thanks for your input however. You obviously read most of the Brannock Instructions. Just remember, these instructions are for fitting shoes for walking in so some of the points are not applicable or maybe partially applicable...