S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 17th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #1
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default Skating Quads and Inline Skates?

OK...I'm the new lab rat here. Going to try to coexist with both types of skates, quads and inlines. Some others here have tried with mixed results. Since today is DAY 1 of this experiment for me I figured might as well keep track of my victories and defeats so that others may benefit down the road. My focus is outdoor skating only.

1. Why? Mainly, I hate missing sessions due to damp surfaces on inline skates. I noticed that my longboards (giant skateboards) do not slide out on wet streets and paths so I figured quad skate wheels, if carefully chosen, would have the same forgiving properties. So far - so good! Tried some damp tarmac this morning and quads were SO MUCH BETTER than my inline skates. Also I find that quad wheels last many times longer than inline wheels.

2. What am I working with? Skated quads exclusively, indoors and out for 25 years, then inline skates (speed, hockey, recreational) for the next 25 years without stepping foot in a quad again...until today. Considered myself an expert on quads (Speed, Hockey, Couples routines) and expert on inline skates (Speed, Hockey, Urban, Distance).

3. The Skates: Powerslide Hardcore Evo 2 (2015) non-rockered vs. 180mm wheelbase quads with Pulse 78a 65mm thane, stock cushions on Power-Dyne Reactor NEO plates, and low boots.

I can easily skate 30 miles on the Evos non-stop or 50 in a day with some nice breaks. Just skated 10 miles in the new quads for my very first skate in them with no issues. Going to try adding 10 more tonight. 20 miles in quads would be sufficient for my needs.

4. How did it go? It took about 30 minutes to get comfy and look pretty smooth on the quads. I was hitting some easy crossovers after an hour. At 90 minutes I was feeling pretty good about my chances for pulling off the switcharoo! Experimented with some wet patches and found the quad wheels were not slipping around. I had to TRY to make them slip to get anything lateral going. No issues with the boots at all. Wore double acrylic socks with a cushioning weave (World's Softest Socks).

5. Quad Prep: All I did was wear the quads around the house for 2 hours as I cooked, washed dishes, and did laundry. My whole house is hardwood floored. I was on my feet 90% of the time. Whenever I had a few minutes on a food timer I took a few laps around the house, slowly. I could tell the boots were a pretty good fit by the end of that.

6. Future: Will keep you posted on my findings.

7. Stoked: Yes, I am really STOKED!

Last edited by Joey; October 17th, 2017 at 09:42 PM.
Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #2
chuckboucher
is skating again. WOOT!

I use RAD Glide longboard wheels (https://www.radesigns.com/70mm-glide-80a-red.aspx) on my quads for outdoor racing and they're very good. Since they're supposed to be good for sliding, it may be a good option.

BTW, what types of longboards do you run? I have a Landyahtz 45" Bamboo Pinner with Paris V2 trucks and Orangatang The Cage wheels. My wife runs a Bustin Maestro deck with Paris V2 trucks and Orangatang In Heat wheels.
chuckboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #3
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckboucher View Post
I use RAD Glide longboard wheels (https://www.radesigns.com/70mm-glide-80a-red.aspx) on my quads for outdoor racing and they're very good. Since they're supposed to be good for sliding, it may be a good option.
Looks interesting. Thanks. Don't longboard wheels have wider hubs (between the bearings). Any issues with fitting on shorter quad axles?

Quote:
BTW, what types of longboards do you run? I have a Landyahtz 45" Bamboo Pinner with Paris V2 trucks and Orangatang The Cage wheels. My wife runs a Bustin Maestro deck with Paris V2 trucks and Orangatang In Heat wheels.
^^Nice!

G-Bomb Push/Pump setup with Dont-Trip Poppy trucks, O-Tang In-Heat wheels up front (orange), Biggie Hawgs in rear (white). Also a Bustin Sportster with Dont-Trip reverse kingpin carving trucks and O-Tang In Heat purple all around. I also have an Arbor Waterman KOA which is so beautiful wood grain with clear spray-on grip that it just hangs on the wall these days.

Gotta stay versatile! I am kinda a maniac on skates and very chill on boards. A Jeckyll n Hyde thing.