S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old October 10th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #1
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default New Quads Pull Hard Left...

...any suggestions before I toss them in the river?

My expectations for $200 complete skates were very low, but I did expect to be able to skate in a straight line until the plastic frames broke. Boots are comfy but setup is unskateable. If I just coast I would turn left naturally in about a 30ft diameter circle. Turning right is impossible without picking up each skate. Leaning right does not make the trucks turn right and leaning left not much better. The skates do what the want, period.

Everything looks straight, all bearings are spinning freely, and boots will nearly touch the wheels in a hard lean but trucks don't turn much if any. Tried bushings tight and loose. Softer bushings will cause wheel bite with the boot. Tried that.

So...send them for a swim? Yes, I know they are cr@p at best, but just thought I would check with you folks before drowning them.

Old October 10th, 2017, 03:53 PM   #2
Slinkydog

Try checking the wheels, pivot cups, and make sure the plate is mounted correctly (sometimes they won't put them on right...).
I would've also suggested the things that you've already checked, especially the cushions.
Slinkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #3
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Yes, the cushions are some kind of rock-hard plastic so I am thinking this is the main issue. I have buckets of different durometer cushions (bushings) from my longboards and they are a good match in size. If I go a little softer the issue is somewhat solved but then wheel bite (boot hits front wheel in a hard turn) becomes possible.

It also seems to me that the pivot is too steep of an angle going into the pivot cup, which allows the wheels to rock back and forth when weight is applied to the skate in a turn, but the wheels do not STEER, only the upper of the skate tilts.
Old October 10th, 2017, 06:29 PM   #4
BigFoot

Default Doodoo Voodoo's

Maybe not a total surprise, given the low price, but to a long-time skater itís still a disappointment. What? They are new, out-of-the-box, and donít roll straight? Iíd be pissed.
It could be a defective truck casting, bent axle or king pin/pivot placement. Maybe the design is poor and they all pull to the left. My guess is something is not lined up properly. I am sure there is someone in SLF that is knowledgeable about alignment problems. Hopefully there is a quick fix.

You know, even $200 skates should not pull to the side. If you canít get a refund, I would contact Voodoo directly. This happened when I bought a new Bianchi bicycle. I had a brake problem which the local bike shop refused to fix, but when I called the manufacturer, they FedExed me new parts the next day. Iím just saying itís worth a try.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #5
wired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
...any suggestions before I toss them in the river?
If you push each skate across the floor (without your foot in it) do they go more or less straight?

When viewing from straight above the skate do you see equal amount of wheel on each side?

Pics of your skate if you can get them would be handy. Make an effort to shoot straight head on, side, top, bottom and from rear.

Old October 10th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #6
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
...Maybe not a total surprise, given the low price, but to a long-time skater itís still a disappointment. What? They are new, out-of-the-box, and donít roll straight? Iíd be pissed.
Funny, I thought the boots would suck and the frames/wheels be OK. Just the opposite. At least for the 1/4 mile I skated in circles!

Quote:
It could be a defective truck casting, bent axle or king pin/pivot placement. Maybe the design is poor and they all pull to the left. My guess is something is not lined up properly. I am sure there is someone in SLF that is knowledgeable about alignment problems. Hopefully there is a quick fix.
The plastic (Nylon) frame is so cheezy. Am surprised Labeda put their name on this skate. Or maybe they have gone the Wal-Mart way as many have.

Quote:
You know, even $200 skates should not pull to the side. If you canít get a refund, I would contact Voodoo directly...Iím just saying itís worth a try.
The one local skate shop in town just moved and are having their grand opening this weekend. Going over there to get some outdoor wheels anyway, and a skate tool. Will look at some frames and maybe get some $100 cast aluminum Sure-Grips or something to use on the green boots, which seem to be just fine. I got the whole setup for $89 so can't really complain if at least I get the boots out of it.

I don't mind spending $$$ on fine skates, as my Powerslide Hardcore EVO inline skates cost me over $500 and I have a longboard (giant skateboard) investment of $700 in my favorite board. Just testing the waters for getting back into quads. I was hoping the $89 would at least answer the question if I wanted to add quads to my stable. I'm willing to throw another hundred at it. Worst case, Craig's list - if I can get them rolling straight! Not selling this junk to anyone as is!
Old October 10th, 2017, 07:12 PM   #7
wired

Quote:
Will look at some frames and maybe get some $100 cast aluminum Sure-Grips...
Go the extra $50 and get some Avengers...

Old October 10th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #8
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired View Post
If you push each skate across the floor (without your foot in it) do they go more or less straight?
Nope. Veer strongly left. All wheels touch the ground. Next to a grout line on the tile it is obvious that both trucks are in the "steer left" position slightly when at rest, no weight on them.

Quote:
When viewing from straight above the skate do you see equal amount of wheel on each side?
Plates look perfectly placed viewed from top or bottom.

Quote:
Pics of your skate if you can get them would be handy. Make an effort to shoot straight head on, side, top, bottom and from rear.
I think the jury is out on the janky plastic frames and/or stock cushions being somehow not square. Maybe sat in a steaming hot warehouse forever?

All tips are very much appreciated! Gonna cut my losses and get some $150 cast aluminum plates. We all agree that the shoes won't be an issue on better frames? Will let ya'll know how it all turns out!
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:04 PM   #9
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Go the extra $50 and get some Avengers...

Noted. Thanks!
Old October 10th, 2017, 08:17 PM   #10
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Just to add something...

While skating on these this morning, looking down at my feet I could not visually SEE any reason they should be turning. Everything looks centered and wheels are so slightly turned left, front and back trucks both, that it is impossible to notice unless seen against a straight edge. It was like one of those bizzaro dreams where you know you can skate but just can't seem to make the skates go where you want them to go. Ever had one of those??
Old October 11th, 2017, 01:35 AM   #11
fierocious1

Quote:
Just to add something...

While skating on these this morning, looking down at my feet I could not visually SEE any reason they should be turning. Everything looks centered and wheels are so slightly turned left, front and back trucks both, that it is impossible to notice unless seen against a straight edge. It was like one of those bizzaro dreams where you know you can skate but just can't seem to make the skates go where you want them to go. Ever had one of those??
If cushions are pliable, them sitting there being out of line is not really a problem. It is a problem when you put them on your feet and with your weight, they do not straighten up and go where you point them. Cushions way too hard and not uniform is most likely your problem. Maybe you can find some that are the same dimensions as what you have and that are also softer. SG barrels are app .550 tall and nearly 1" diameter. The cones are 1/2" tall.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:55 AM   #12
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
If cushions are pliable, them sitting there being out of line is not really a problem. It is a problem when you put them on your feet and with your weight, they do not straighten up and go where you point them. Cushions way too hard and not uniform is most likely your problem. Maybe you can find some that are the same dimensions as what you have and that are also softer. SG barrels are app .550 tall and nearly 1" diameter. The cones are 1/2" tall.
Yeah, I tried cushions I have in my collection that are high-end longboard truck "bushings" as skateboarders call them. Not much difference.

I pulled the plates off the boots and found that they are even trashier than I suspected. Terrible quality. Wouldn't let a 10 year old skate on those. Kingbolts are wobbling in the holes and likely not perfectly straight either. Not worth any more attention from me our you guys.

Going to the local skate shop this weekend. If they have some reasonable cast trucks I likely will go that route. If not, will send the skates back where they came from and start over with a better budget. I like the boots but now am leery of everything involved. Wondering why anyone would make a skate that no on can skate on. Or certainly, not for very long even if they were perfect out the box. Plates are cheap plastic junk as are the cushions. Wheels are sorry as well.

Thanks everyone! Big help, and fast too. Gunna punt this time.
Old October 11th, 2017, 03:03 AM   #13
fierocious1

Quote:
Yeah, I tried cushions I have in my collection that are high-end longboard truck "bushings" as skateboarders call them. Not much difference.

I pulled the plates off the boots and found that they are even trashier than I suspected. Terrible quality. Wouldn't let a 10 year old skate on those. Kingbolts are wobbling in the holes and likely not perfectly straight either. Not worth any more attention from me our you guys.

Going to the local skate shop this weekend. If they have some reasonable cast trucks I likely will go that route. If not, will send the skates back where they came from and start over with a better budget. I like the boots but now am leery of everything involved. Wondering why anyone would make a skate that no on can skate on. Or certainly, not for very long even if they were perfect out the box. Plates are cheap plastic junk as are the cushions. Wheels are sorry as well.

Thanks everyone! Big help, and fast too. Gunna punt this time.
Its hard to start up without spending $200 for a descent set up. Unless you have a good connection. Even old rentals are better than the cheapies. Just change cushions first and add wheels that are good quality. Somebody here may have something for a good price. What size boots and low top or high top?
Old October 11th, 2017, 09:21 PM   #14
rufusprime99
Ninja Naked Mole Rat

I have fixed this problem a number of times. Just take it apart. Take the trucks off. Put them back on. Usually works.
Old October 12th, 2017, 06:01 PM   #15
BigFoot

Re: Avenger plate recommendation

Plates: Some like Ďem turny, some like Ďem firmy, and some like Ďem in between. And the choice of a plate is not always based on the type of skating you do. It can be a simple preference, as in, ďI like the way they feel.Ē

I skated on Avenger plates for several years. They were not for me. They were too squirrely at slow speeds and oscillation-prone at full speed. I posted this comment last year:

I have SG Avanti Plates now. I made them a little more inline-like with hard cushions, hard wheels and tight action. The 10⁰ kingpin angle helps, too. I think a single-action truck would be even better, but for now I am happy with them. I did not want skates with power steering and feather touch response. Or worse, something that twitches when I doing 17 mph. Yikes! I also wanted something that would help forgive my mistakes when I act stupid, do long strokes, or get tired. I basically want it to track straight ahead when I put my foot down. Thatís it. No curves, no turns, just a nice stable platform that goes straight. If I want to turn, I give it a deliberate hard lean, or for sharp turns, go up on one axle or turn with my whole foot.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that you have other choices besides the Avenger Plate.
BigFoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2017, 07:16 PM   #16
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufusprime99 View Post
I have fixed this problem a number of times. Just take it apart. Take the trucks off. Put them back on. Usually works.
Tried this, tried better quality cushions, different combos, nothing cured it. Skates are going back where they came from with a full refund. I was going to keep the shoes because they felt great but they gotta go back too. Will start from scratch with real money soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFoot View Post
Re: Avenger plate recommendation

Plates: Some like ‘em turny, some like ‘em firmy, and some like ‘em in between. And the choice of a plate is not always based on the type of skating you do. It can be a simple preference, as in, “I like the way they feel.”

I skated on Avenger plates for several years. They were not for me. They were too squirrely at slow speeds and oscillation-prone at full speed. I posted this comment last year:

I have SG Avanti Plates now. I made them a little more inline-like with hard cushions, hard wheels and tight action. The 10⁰ kingpin angle helps, too. I think a single-action truck would be even better, but for now I am happy with them. I did not want skates with power steering and feather touch response. Or worse, something that twitches when I doing 17 mph. Yikes! I also wanted something that would help forgive my mistakes when I act stupid, do long strokes, or get tired. I basically want it to track straight ahead when I put my foot down. That’s it. No curves, no turns, just a nice stable platform that goes straight. If I want to turn, I give it a deliberate hard lean, or for sharp turns, go up on one axle or turn with my whole foot.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that you have other choices besides the Avenger Plate.
This is very helpful. One reason I picked these skates is because the wheelbase was really long! Rear wheels stick out beyond the heels a tiny bit, front wheels under the ball of the foot as usual. I do not want twitchy at high speeds! This is why I can't just go purchase a Derby setup at the local shop.

I really want a quad speed skate setup. Been off of quads for 25 years, but skated quads daily for 25 years before that and was an expert skater. Just wanted to see how strange going from quads to inlines and back again would be without dropping $500+ on a b!tch!n' setup that I may not like.

I will start a new thread, or find an old one, with recommendations for modern speed skate setups with no price constraints. My bad for cheaping out, I knew better. Hope you chime in on that thread!
Old October 12th, 2017, 11:55 PM   #17
fierocious1

Default In what ever plate you get

There is always compromise. You need to test out as many skates as you can. Looking for a plate that does exactly like you want can lead to a lot of expense. Learn how to tune and determine what mods do what you need to be done. It's alot of trial and error in the beginning but it pays off in the end.

Lots of plates out there are limited in tuning range. So you have to be careful in what you settle on. Some turn, some don't. Some are stable and others can be shaky if not set up properly.
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:18 AM   #18
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
There is always compromise. You need to test out as many skates as you can. Looking for a plate that does exactly like you want can lead to a lot of expense. Learn how to tune and determine what mods do what you need to be done. It's alot of trial and error in the beginning but it pays off in the end.

Lots of plates out there are limited in tuning range. So you have to be careful in what you settle on. Some turn, some don't. Some are stable and others can be shaky if not set up properly.
I own a $700 G-Bomb pumping longboard with pro level machined trucks. Took me a YEAR to tweak it out to perfection. Trust me...I know. Will likely be calling on you guys very soon. Likely pull the trigger on some SG plates this Saturday. I'm not a rich guy but all my disposable cash gets dumped into skating of one sort or another.
Old October 13th, 2017, 12:57 AM   #19
Dekindy

Riedell boots $269-$315
Suregrip Avanti aluminum or Magnesium plate $99-$190
Suregrip Zombie wheels $99
Bones Reds or Super Reds $28-$46

Based upon your comments in #16, this is what I would suggest.

Get them unassembled and have them assembled by someone that knows what they are doing or order through Doc Sk8 or DVW.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2017, 01:30 AM   #20
fierocious1

Quote:
I own a $700 G-Bomb pumping longboard with pro level machined trucks. Took me a YEAR to tweak it out to perfection. Trust me...I know. Will likely be calling on you guys very soon. Likely pull the trigger on some SG plates this Saturday. I'm not a rich guy but all my disposable cash gets dumped into skating of one sort or another.
I don't know how deep into the tuning you want to go but if you are planning to use a DA45 plate, I would suggest magnums or white magnums. Mainly because you can remove the kingpin if you need to do machining. And the prices are not too steep. My first test mule plates were invaders then added the DA45 kit to them. They were still an extremely well handling plate when I got through with them. If you are planning a non-removable kingpin, cushion options in the future may be limited.

Good to have another tuner on here..