S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old September 24th, 2017, 11:27 PM   #1
bolivia

Default oberhamer 61 date code?

Finally found them in men's 12. Trying to decipher these numbers below the '61' designation: 8042473

Hoping the year code is in there. Guessing '80 or '73, and based on some particulars, would pick '73. The boots are the white strip variation (BR) with the stripes close to one another, very much like the old Riedell 265's.
Old September 30th, 2017, 07:09 PM   #2
bolivia

oh come on .......where's the Oberhamer faithful?

Help a fella out! Throw the dog a bone!

Last edited by bolivia; September 30th, 2017 at 09:08 PM.
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2017, 11:58 PM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Don't believe I'm gonna be of any help because my XL35's date code is 0121985, if this is a date code
Old October 5th, 2017, 03:09 AM   #4
bolivia

seems reasonable that '85 would be the year of those.
Old October 7th, 2017, 05:56 AM   #5
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Yeah, but '73 on 61's? eh ...
Old October 7th, 2017, 08:36 AM   #6
bolivia

The original plates were XK-4 SA's with the old Hugger small-hubbed 2-piece wheels, so I don't think '73 is out of the question...
Old October 7th, 2017, 01:45 PM   #7
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

I don' t think the Hugger came about until like 77 or 78 maybe, could be a little earlier but not 73. It's possible I guess. Gotta research now lol, thanks ... a ... lot ... lol
Old October 7th, 2017, 07:43 PM   #8
the california kid

Default Date Codes

I just talked to Avery, I do not believe those numbers to be date codes as like the Riedells have. More a manufactures code that represents model, style and design since some boot models tended to change some what over the years. More like a serial number. I have several 41 and 61 boots. The 41 have the same coding, the 61 all have different coding. Both the 41 and 61 boots are all different sizes. and that coding is all over the place. Also the code in the boots match the code printed on the box. So what I get from all this is that these numbers were used to keep track of stock and book keeping. I do not think they represent a specific date, like riedells date code of 8208 that decoded means August 1982. There maybe a date code somewhere in there, but how to decode it, I have nothing. Both pairs of my 61's have these two codes 0100901 and 0080437 completely different. And I cannot find anything even close to what 0100901 can be, with 0080437 at least the 80 can be a year. On Avery's the 85 cannot represent the year because Oberhamer was not around then. The maybe have a specific inspector or employer ID number with in the code. So it seems these numbers will stay a mystery unless Doc knows. Sorry If I was not much help.
I even have a 3rd pair of 61's and its code is 0132291, I still get nothing from it
the california kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2017, 12:50 AM   #9
bolivia

yes, some of those numbers you have Randy don't make any sense from a date standpoint. I have a couple other sizes of 61's buried somewhere so will have to take a look. Also, based on the Jan/Feb2014 Professional Skater Magazine Oberhamer article, Oberhamer boots zig-zagged in some way, shape, or form until folding for good in '97 I think. It was a long, sad process to the finish, and certainly not the quality you had when Roy was in control.

My skate magazines aren't helping much either. Several holes in them but do have a RC '81 catalog that has the 61's shown. I have one magazine showing the XL35's in 1976/77. I was under the impression 61's were out there before the XL35's but that's just a hunch - no proof.

What really makes me curious about the year of these 61's is the closeness of the stripes to one another (all 61's I've seen to this point were spread further apart, similar to what the current Riedell 265's are), and the print font - it just seems different. Maybe the stripe thing is just a manufacturing anomaly.
Old October 8th, 2017, 02:41 AM   #10
the california kid

Default Oberhamer

Oberhamer pretty well stopped the manufacturing their own boots in 1981. The bank took control. And sold most of it off. I posted that post on Second Chance. There were some boots still being made but I think most were being done by SP Teri. Later Roy with a partner produced some designs themselves but in very limited production, most were figure. Roy continued trying to resurrect the company till 1997 and just finally moved on. In all aspects Oberhamer was pretty well over by the end of 1981. Most of the old stock found today was from that period. If I had Roys ledger I might be able to use those codes to decode in some time line. And I have found very little info about the company on line. Later about 1988 Roy and a partner tried to revive the company with some success, until the ran into a production problem, and was short on coin. Now there was a time between 1979 and 1981 that Oberhamer started producing a new speed skate line. That are represented by the flaming O logo, I believe. As well as the Flying O logo designs. I think that some of both designs were resurrected once again by Roy his new partners. But I am not sure about this. It seems that between 1981 and 1988 the company was in limbo with bankruptcy and the bank. Not sure if any or what boots were produce at that time or if they were just selling old stock. But I did find advertising for Oberhamer Boots in SKATE Magazine in 1984, I have no later issue, so perhaps in that time period it was in the hands of a unknown named owner, {the one convicted of embezzlement in 1988, I assume}. I have been trying to fill in the blacks for a while but still missing a lot
Old October 8th, 2017, 03:00 AM   #11
bolivia

Do you have any idea of the range of years he made speed boots? If 1981 - or lets say early 80's - is the end, what year were his first speed boots, and which boots were they? 41, 61, 85, 351, 353, xl35's, other, all?

I bet doc has something in his literature that would frame this question.
Old October 8th, 2017, 04:13 AM   #12
the california kid

Default Not sure

Not sure when Roy took over from his dad. But Roy was 59 when first sold the Company in 79. I would bet he started producing boots since the early years of the 1960's. In some degree. I think models 41, 61, XL35 were the main speed products. but I think they came out in the early 70's And yes Doc might have more info

Oberhamer Shoe Co. is a Minnesota Business Corporation (Domestic) filed on April 2, 1951 . Is when I believe Roy took over the Company...He was about 31 years old.
Then it became Oberhamer Sports in 1979 then Oberhamer Skate in 1988.
Old October 8th, 2017, 05:37 PM   #13
bolivia

Earliest I could find so far - Skate magazine, Winter 1977 - still have more to look thru...
Stripe spacing pictured here is similar to my 12's. I found 2 other pairs in the garage and both have the wider stripe spacing. The numbering on one of the two don't make any date sense.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by bolivia; October 8th, 2017 at 07:33 PM.
bolivia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2017, 01:47 AM   #14
jackbkwikn
ALTAMURA

Maybe its a last number....
style length width