S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 5th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #21
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Spacers and washers (called "speed rings" in the skateboard world) ensure that the two bearing inner races are perfectly parallel with each other.
Actually, no. If the end of the truck/hanger isn't true, the "speed ring" will sit crooked also.

The "speed ring" is intended to make sure that only the inner race of the bearing makes contact with anything. Without them, there is the chance that the end of the hanger or the axle nut will drag on the shield.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
Funny how this is a point of contention in the roller skate world (quads) but longboarders and inline skaters just use spacers as a matter of course without all the drama.
The hubs in use in longboard wheels are different. Almost exclusively plastic, and offsets are different. There is enough flex in the whole arrangement that the spacers are useful. The side loading is generally more severe in longboard setups also.

Quad speed skates with metal hubs hold their shape significantly better as a general rule. I've used spacers with quad wheels in situations where there was no hub, and they were indeed necessary.

For the majority of applications however, the benefit derived is usually far far outweighed by the work involved to get it right.
Old November 5th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #22
fierocious1

Default My theory on spacers or not

If Running no spacer.
1. 1/2 turn out from snug.
2. The left bearing will find its center under load. If going left.
3. The right bearing only will take the side loads. If going left.
4. Both bearing taking verticle loads.
5. IF going left on the floor only. Or one direction, the bearing will self center. If direction is changed the bearings will move to self align.
6. Bearings do move in their bores in most wheels.
7. Minimal set up time and most skates are already built this way.

With spacers.
1. Bearings locked down provide extra strength.
2. Provided setup correctly, bearing centers will be found with both bearings.
3. Both bearings take the side loads equally(2 more drag).
4. Both bearings take verticle loads.
5. Going any direction.
6. Bearing movement in the bores is minimal and restricted.
7. Prolonged and tedius setup time to do correctly for each wheel.
8. More weight added.

IMO I really see no gain using spacers but in theory there is actually more drag. Unless skating roads or bowls.

Last edited by fierocious1; November 7th, 2017 at 12:00 AM.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 5th, 2017, 09:13 PM   #23
Dekindy

Why does Suregrip recommend washers and spacers for Zombie wheels?
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2017, 02:27 AM   #24
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekindy View Post
Why does Suregrip recommend washers and spacers for Zombie wheels?
Weak hubs probably...
Old November 6th, 2017, 09:34 PM   #25
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Weak hubs probably...
Same hubs as shamans IIRC.

Actually they are the most precise hub for mass produced wheels, and even better on bearing seat width tolerances than custom wheels.

EVERY one I have ever measured with my Mic has come up with .2995 inch. Never a deviation. Probably the only wheel you can cut a .300 spacer and have it work each and every time.

I did bend a zombie hub on the lip once at Rollerjam USA. Clipped the wall backwards at high speed. Even bent my plate tho.
Old November 6th, 2017, 11:59 PM   #26
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post

Actually they are the most precise hub for mass produced wheels, and even better on bearing seat width tolerances than custom wheels.

EVERY one I have ever measured with my Mic has come up with .2995 inch. Never a deviation. Probably the only wheel you can cut a .300 spacer and have it work each and every time.

I did bend a zombie hub on the lip once at Rollerjam USA. Clipped the wall backwards at high speed. Even bent my plate tho.
I didn't know, but if they are the same, I really don't know why you would need a spacer in them, my hubs work just fine without them. Never even looked at zombies.
Old November 7th, 2017, 05:24 PM   #27
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
I didn't know, but if they are the same, I really don't know why you would need a spacer in them, my hubs work just fine without them. Never even looked at zombies.
The idea of needing spacers is flawed for most people.

Pure urethane wheels which don't have inserts do not need spacers even though people think they do.

The only wheel that requires spacers in quads to work correctly are light up wheels lol.

I like spacers for speed skating, not for general sessions. The increased grip, and vigration dampening make it much harder to consistently produce a slide.

Also I would loctite bearings if I were to race on quads for serious speed events, would be a lot cheaper than buying and setting up angular contact bearings lol
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:43 PM   #28
fierocious1

Quote:
I like spacers for speed skating, not for general sessions. The increased grip, and vigration dampening make it much harder to consistently produce a slide.
So far I have not had an issue with the bearings with out spacer causing vibration and traction losses. Too tight of cushion setups have been the problem in the past for me and traction. Biggest causes of traction losses lately have been caused from very thin grooves.. The Shamans are just about smooth now. It's been a year on these. Kids falling during sessions leaving a sweat spot, coming into the turn a bit on the fast side, leaning over and breaking loose. Sliding for about 2 feet, then recovering.... did not fall. I skate sessions and we get to make some speed when the skaters thin out. AS the tread goes away, the wheels will get less predictable. All it takes a little something to break them loose. But until they break loose have tons of grip. Pretty crowded sessions lately.
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #29
netplaceus
David Kennedy

I just had this problem last month.

Anyway, after installing and tightening all the nuts some spun freely, some a little less, some a whole lot less.

I left it alone. After a few hours in the rinks they were all very similar, another few hours a week later all spun free as can be!

Did a second set of wheels, it went away too.

I would not obsess unless it is really bad (and this would have been so me!, but I did not have time) over these slight differences. Lesson learned for me anyway: Give them a chance to seat into the wheels. I have noticed even brand new bearings right out of the box can spin a little faster then others, but time always made it go away.

The shirt you happen to wear (in some cases) probably has more effect on drag then how long you can spin each wheel.
Old November 10th, 2017, 04:51 AM   #30
Dekindy

Quote:

Spacers and washers fit my Zombies perfectly.
Dekindy is offline   Reply With Quote