S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Roller Dance and Session Skating Forum Discussions about roller dancing, jamskating, rexing, rink session skating, dance circle skating, and similar types of recreational indoor and outdoor skate dancing .

Old September 9th, 2015, 04:47 PM   #1
Skater m0m

Post Taller Wheels?

Okay, I know everyone has a different opinion about wheels. But, I'm trying to get some input.

I started skating again about a year ago, first time on quads. I am really getting into the dance/shuffle/jam aspect of skating. So much fun!!

But I wanted to know, do you prefer taller wheels 64mm; 65mm, or do you prefer shorter, low profile wheels for shuffle and dance?

I am in the process of trying out several pairs to see what I like.

Thank you!!
Old September 9th, 2015, 09:15 PM   #2
Slinkydog

I prefer the standard 62mm wheels personally. But I am thinking about getting some new Fo-macs for sliding/dance and they are 55mm. For shuffle and dance I would recommend narrower, harder and maybe shorter wheels.

It depends on what you like and where you skate.
The rink that I skate at has a VERY nice concrete floor that is really sticky and I can run 97-101a wheels very easy with no slide.
Then there is another rink that I used to skate at that has a HORRIBLE floor with tons of bumps, patches, and just rough concrete and on that floor I have to run softer wheels so I don't feel every patch and bump and not slide out on every turn.
Slinkydog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2015, 04:32 PM   #3
Kassus

I run 62mm tall and 40mm wide with a 92A durometer. My jam skating friend runs the same wheels I do, except his are a 95A durometer, and he's a great jam skater. My other friend (more of a shuffle and artistic skater) runs 62mm tall/42mm wide with a 95A durometer and is easily the best skater at the rink (with the exception being the guard that volunteers there a few days a week that's skated for 40+ years). So... I'd say that's it's a matter of your own personal preference and what the floor at your home rink is like. The floor at my rink is slicker than snot and so I have to run a softer wheel to compensate... I'm barely 135 lbs. and when I ran a 95A/96A combo, it kept putting me into the wall because they were too slick so YMMV :-)
Kassus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2015, 02:46 AM   #4
Armadillo

Wheel height (and width) will give you more leverage for working the action when they go taller and wider.

This can be important if your suspension is set firm, to allow you to get up on the two wheel edges of either side of the skate, because this extra leverage can have the skate be turning too much before you get leaned up on the wheel edges as as much as you want to be.

Also when landing jumps, when an error in the focus of your weight as you land happens, this can end up being amplified more when the axle turning leverage is higher.

This could turn you further off track and take you down, compared to a shorter and narrower wheel which would have less turning leverage and would not steer you as much off track far, thus allowing for path correction without falling.

-Armadillo
Old September 12th, 2015, 08:01 PM   #5
MANY_SkatingDave
Skating = Tear RIFF ic

Default What Skate Set Up?

Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater m0m View Post
Okay, I know everyone has a different opinion about wheels. But, I'm trying to get some input. o - o Thank you!!
Are you on Artistic Boots,
or Flat Heel Boots?

For me I would probably use the Bones 103A on Artistic
^ Just don't try to Hockey Stop on them..
^ The All American Plus kind of works for rougher skating.
and I do use the Bones Turbo on a Flat Heel Boot.
^ Flat heels are harder to do fancy stuff, yet I am lazy in buying them.

Yours in Skating, MA/NY Skating Dave
Old August 26th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #6
Skater m0m

It's been awhile since I started this thread, but thank you for your input. I skate on flat heel boots, started using bones turbo 98 and bones elite 101a for my local rink. Smooth hardwood floors and excellent grip/slide.

I mostly skate outside now due to my schedule, but I've been using krypto impulse wheels for dance/shuffle and Rex skating outdoors. I went through a bunch of different wheels before I decided on these. My other go tos for outdoor are the bones dotd 82mm