S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 14th, 2017, 04:51 PM   #1
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Default New Skates are Complete!

New skates are complete. Just got my wheels in and removed the ones lent to me by a friend. So this is my complete build. Already have nearly 300 miles on them since Oct 17th. Skated 10 miles on the new wheels today and they work fine.

Thanks for all the help from you folks!

Old November 15th, 2017, 12:23 AM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey View Post
New skates are complete. Just got my wheels in and removed the ones lent to me by a friend. So this is my complete build. Already have nearly 300 miles on them since Oct 17th. Skated 10 miles on the new wheels today and they work fine.

Thanks for all the help from you folks!

Nice! What size wheels are they? I was looking at doing some outdoor skating soon on pavement. Also have plenty of clearance to run larger wheels. Was looking a 70mm or bigger. So many irons in the fire lately.
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15th, 2017, 05:16 AM   #3
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierocious1 View Post
Nice! What size wheels are they? I was looking at doing some outdoor skating soon on pavement. Also have plenty of clearance to run larger wheels. Was looking a 70mm or bigger. So many irons in the fire lately.
35x65mm. My plates will not work with taller wheels. The Atom Pulse wheels I was borrowing are a tad wider but the profile of the inner side of the new wheels is flatter - so these wheels stick out the same from under the skate shoes and are farther apart from each other under the skate. In other words, the inner bearings are FLUSH with the inner edge of the Energy wheels whereas the Atom Pulse wheels had the bearings a tad recessed into the back side of the wheels.

The shape of these new wheels are better for me. The outer edges are very rounded as compared to the Pulse wheels. I can now T-Stop better with the Energy wheels. And, the inner edges of the wheels are NOT rounded but fairly sharp, which keeps the wheels from breaking free on wet surfaces. I believe the rounder outer edges of the Energy wheels have improved my crossovers and relieved some pressure on the outside of my feet near my little toe.

Since I only put 10 miles on them, I don't have a full report yet but I will say I skated 5 miles on some pretty sucky surfaces today covered with dried mud, tiny stones, and mulch pieces - as well as 5 more miles on a decent/clean surface and I have no complaints.
Old November 19th, 2017, 02:08 PM   #4
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

Hey Joey, nice skates. Great turn around! I have the same wheels for outdoor skating and I really like them, especially for street skating at night when you're not really sure what your gonna roll over.

I also have similar trucks/frames. How do you like them? I had to loosen mine because I couldn't make tight one footed turns. Did you put the frame on yourself? Was it hard? Any challenges?

Also of course, you know I have to ask because you too enjoy slalom inline skating...
How do you like skating in a short boot/sneaker style skate? In the world of inline slalom skating it seams that the tightness of the boot around the ankle is the MOST important thing. I find that even now I have to put on my inline skates once a week just to strengthen my ankles. Even a tall/boot style roller skate doesn't need to be laced quite the way freestyle inline skates do.

Also, one last question, have you done any slalom on roller skates yet??? DO TELL!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2017, 04:14 PM   #5
Joey
Powerslide Hardcore EVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oicusk82huh View Post
Hey Joey, nice skates. Great turn around! I have the same wheels for outdoor skating and I really like them, especially for street skating at night when you're not really sure what your gonna roll over.
So far so good on the new wheels. I can now T-Stop easily and way better than the loaner wheels I started with. I like that round outer edge. And they do roll over just about everything outdoors. Expansion joints in concrete can be tricky whereas my inlines don't even notice them. Otherwise, great.

Quote:
I also have similar trucks/frames. How do you like them? I had to loosen mine because I couldn't make tight one footed turns. Did you put the frame on yourself? Was it hard? Any challenges?
I like the frames fine. Got them from the local Derby store and this was really my only choice without going real high end. So the frames kinda chose me. Once I loosened the trucks up ALL THE WAY i started liking the frames a lot better. I really wanted a speed/distance frame with a lot of stability going in a straight line - and this is what I got. So I am very happy with them now.

I put the frames on myself. Back when inline skates were the rage I worked at a store that built custom skates, mostly speed and hockey. Mounted lots of frames so I had no problems. I did check online for some tips first as I don't have a ton of experience with quad plates/frames.

Quote:
Also of course, you know I have to ask because you too enjoy slalom inline skating...
How do you like skating in a short boot/sneaker style skate? In the world of inline slalom skating it seams that the tightness of the boot around the ankle is the MOST important thing. I find that even now I have to put on my inline skates once a week just to strengthen my ankles. Even a tall/boot style roller skate doesn't need to be laced quite the way freestyle inline skates do.
Even for slalom I never tighten the top ratchet very much anyway. I wear all my inlines like hockey skates - with the high part fairly loose. So converting to low boots was no big deal. My last pair of quads (1980-1988) were low boots as well. Obviously, I am not doing tricks that require a tight ankle. I see myself as a hockey player trying to improve my balance, forward to backwards transitions, one footed skating, etc., when skating around the cones. Outdoor skating is possible all year in New Orleans. If I had long, dark, frozen winters I feel I would likely become a "real" freestyle slalom skater.

Quote:
Also, one last question, have you done any slalom on roller skates yet??? DO TELL!!!
I have not ventured into backward skating on the quads yet (I was an expert back in the day). I am trying to reach a mileage goal (3190miles) before the end of the year and do not want to get banged up. After December 31st I am throwing the GPS in the river, so, you can almost bet a paycheck the quads will be kicking cones!

Thanks for the interest!

BTW...3190 miles is the distance from Portland Maine, to Portland Oregon. I am at 2920 now. 2906 is the distance from NYC to San Francisco, so I got that one a couple days ago! Most definitely want 3000 for 2017.