S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Quad Roller Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Quad Roller Skating Forum Discussions about quad roller skates and any other quad skating discussions that do not seem appropriate for one of our other forums.

Old November 2nd, 2017, 09:42 PM   #1
Kaykay

Default Into...getting back into skating!!

Like many, this seems to be a common topic!! I took lessons from 8-12ish, and absolutely loved skating. I am now 48. I did quad skating for years, and more recently inline skating, although it has been far longer then I care to admit!! I am a "big girl" and I am seeking to find a form of exercise that I actually enjoy. Fortunately, I have 3 young kids who are eager to hit the rink with me!!

I despise rental skates, so I ordered a pair of skates...and promptly returned them!! They (Chicago) were horrible, despite good reviews for an inexpensive skate. I sucked it up (for me!!) And ordered Riedell Raven Plus and they came today, and holy cow, they are like butter in comparison!! Super excited to hit the rink, and praying I don't "hit" any body parts!! I don't bounce so well!! LOL

Looking forward to introducing my kids to the world of skating!!

Thanks for having me!!
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2017, 11:39 PM   #2
fierocious1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post
Like many, this seems to be a common topic!! I took lessons from 8-12ish, and absolutely loved skating. I am now 48. I did quad skating for years, and more recently inline skating, although it has been far longer then I care to admit!! I am a "big girl" and I am seeking to find a form of exercise that I actually enjoy. Fortunately, I have 3 young kids who are eager to hit the rink with me!!

I despise rental skates, so I ordered a pair of skates...and promptly returned them!! They (Chicago) were horrible, despite good reviews for an inexpensive skate. I sucked it up (for me!!) And ordered Riedell Raven Plus and they came today, and holy cow, they are like butter in comparison!! Super excited to hit the rink, and praying I don't "hit" any body parts!! I don't bounce so well!! LOL

Thanks for having me!!
There are lots of people coming back to skating and some coming into skating that never did. The main thing is to have fun. Welcome!
fierocious1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2017, 05:25 AM   #3
Derrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaykay View Post

Thanks for having me!!
Yep, had the exact same experience 6 years ago. A rink owner suggested Chicago (crap) skates. I was 47 and knew nothing about buying skates. Hated them. returned them immediately. Way worse than just wearing brownies. Why would a rink order suggest crap to older folks who can and need to put a little more cash unto their skates? Got Ridell Ravens (yes, they come in black). Been skating them for 6 years and still absolutely love them. I did insist on the aluminumn plate though. You can get lighter plates, but this is what I could afford.

Edit: byw I’ve lost 15 pounds since I started. Kept it off. You picked a great sport.
Old November 3rd, 2017, 12:11 PM   #4
Kaykay

The Raven Plus comes with Aluminum plates, and a jump bar for added stability. Since I am a big girl, this was non-negotiable for me!!
Kaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 02:11 AM   #5
40yearslater

Good choice on the Ravens. I just looked, and saw that they use the 120 boot.
I've got a couple of pairs of skates since starting up again, and it's the 120 I use 90% of the time now. Well-made, great support and comfortable from the start. Holding up really well. You are going to be very glad that you started skating again! I think that maybe you appreciate it more coming back to it later, at least I do.
40yearslater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2017, 08:32 AM   #6
Oicusk82huh
Skating 35 years

YEAH!!! Great selection! Riedells are soooooo fantastic, you chose well. It's never too late to skate. WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME!!!
Oicusk82huh is offline   Reply With Quote