S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old February 29th, 2016, 12:36 PM   #41
ThatRabbit

Default Super rigid...

I'm pretty sure that's what we're going for.. Greater power transfer and responsiveness.

Hey Doc, I've sent ogfarmskater a PM as well as an email to his gmail account... Been days and haven't heard back from him. Can you recommend anyone else in my area for a mount?
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #42
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
Personally I didn't like the sole on the bont I had after I got to skating it.(not sure if all older skaters would like or dislike it) It was harder to get feedback from it,

I'm not following this line of thought. Anything that absorbs mechanical energy will minimize feedback.

maybe a less stiff composite would have a better feel?

No, that is the wrong way to go. That pair of ultra light, one off Bonts I have has a less stiff unidirectional carbon fiber base that is kinda bouncy..

I dont know if other skaters may have similar reviews on that or not. Everything was SUPER rigid with that setup. I don't suppose it would have been as bad on a traditional kingpin.

Well now, I have an Arius on a pair of Bonts. Feedback from the floor is certainly not lacking @ all. When you combine VFH Corey Phantom wheel with the NO apparent give (I say apparent because the heat treating may be off and the plates may actually be damping some of the vibes)

Galvanic responses would happen with or without the sole material in the mix with the salt from sweat eventually getting down to the hardware, or another catalyst from the outside of the boot. Wouldn't it? It's a bit late so im unsure at this point.
They certainly will. However, the key galvanic players are supercharged when the leather is added. Think of it as a eternally damp sponge soaked in electrolytic chemicals (AKA a wet cell battery) Getting rid of the leather greatly minimizes this effect.

Granted, these are the worst I have ever run across and geographic origin of the sk8s is plays a part too, kinda like car bodies on the coast or in Yankee land were there is salt all over the road.These were so bad I figured the wings would need to be milled off and the plates mounted Laser style.
Old February 29th, 2016, 05:07 PM   #43
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRabbit View Post
Hey Doc, I've sent ogfarmskater a PM as well as an email to his gmail account... Been days and haven't heard back from him. Can you recommend anyone else in my area for a mount?
I just Roger up for ya. If You don't hear from him in a day or 2 I will see if I can get him to answer his phone.
Old March 1st, 2016, 01:50 AM   #44
ThatRabbit

Default Thanks.

I just got the order in for the Bonts. Apparently I can feel the SEDS kicking in because I justified any apprehension by convincing myself that I'm going to build a pair of 595's next. So I've got Bont Hybrid Carbon Leather on the way, white Avenger mags with the quick clip or whatever the hell it's called, and Royal Assassin wheels. Apparently it was the RA's that I was looking at in the shop and they were light as hell and had decided on them already. Should have the goods by Thursday or Friday. All I need is the mount and I can be rolling by the weekend.
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:37 AM   #45
ThatRabbit

Default oh yeahhhhh...

Just got the email! Thanks Doc for all your help. This is going to be exciting!!!
Old March 11th, 2016, 12:50 PM   #46
ThatRabbit

Default Flip axle

I hear they're not recommended for derby, but what about just coaching?
Old March 11th, 2016, 04:02 PM   #47
Mort
Sk8 Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatRabbit View Post
I hear they're not recommended for derby, but what about just coaching?
My daughter plays derby and has a set of Wes's flips. The only times shes lost a wheel is when we had the flip mechanism flipped up instead of down. Our error, not the equipments.

Flips are awesome for the wheel changing factor. Bout 2x faster than nuts if someone is good with a wrench and you dont have any chance of losing the hardware either But the downfall is that you must shim the setup to reduce freeplay instead of tightening a nut a little more. Washers become your friend.
Old March 11th, 2016, 05:10 PM   #48
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort View Post
My daughter plays derby and has a set of Wes's flips. The only times shes lost a wheel is when we had the flip mechanism flipped up instead of down. Our error, not the equipments.

Flips are awesome for the wheel changing factor. Bout 2x faster than nuts if someone is good with a wrench and you dont have any chance of losing the hardware either

Hmm... I have lost a shim or 2 over the years...

But the downfall is that you must shim the setup to reduce freeplay instead of tightening a nut a little more. Washers become your friend.

7mm washers of various thicknesses are not easy to acquire either. There has been lots of discussion about flips over the years here. We have the no washer crowd, the washers inside crowd, the washers outside crowd and a couple of even more exotic spacing methods.

Speed of change comes from having wheels with identical bearing spacing. That may or may not happen, even between wheels in a set.
Old May 2nd, 2016, 08:18 PM   #49
Cam Jam
Skate Snob

Doc Sk8, I have to ask about the custom sole you mentioned earlier in this post...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
I had a ratted out OG 395 red line converted to a blue line with a 125 sole
Did the sole end up looking and performing well? I'm curious about the stiffness compared to the regular leather sole or the redline sole and if you went with a heel.

Pictures would be awesome! (I've got a 395 in need of a new sole)
Cam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:51 PM   #50
dvw
Secretary of Skate

Quote:

There has been lots of discussion about flips over the years here. We have the no washer crowd, the washers inside crowd, the washers outside crowd and a couple of even more exotic spacing methods.
I cheat.

Old May 3rd, 2016, 10:19 PM   #51
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam Jam View Post
Doc Sk8, I have to ask about the custom sole you mentioned earlier in this post... Did the sole end up looking and performing well?

Define "well"?? I have caught some crap from conventionalists because I did not go back to leather. 2 main reasons I did not.:

First, Riedell is not using the thinner gauge of sole leather they used to use on the "line" soles. A not very close look will show the difference.

Second I am not a fan of putting aluminum or magnesium against organics that have been soaked in who know what to "tan" it. I have seen way too much corrosion to want to risk that any more.

I'm curious about the stiffness compared to the regular leather sole or the redline sole and if you went with a heel.

No heel and quite frankly I see no diff between these and leather soles.

Pictures would be awesome! (I've got a 395 in need of a new sole)

Howzat??
Old May 4th, 2016, 03:31 AM   #52
Cam Jam
Skate Snob

Quote:

Howzat??
Zat very, very nice Sir!
You've just created a new (improved) Riedell line...Doc-Streaks Maybe you should come up with one of those uniquely descriptive phrases, usually seen on Riedell/Powerdyne/Radar skate ads. Like 'Unparalleled, 21st Century, Anti-electrochemical Performance'

I can't imagine a worthy point anyone could argue against the rubber sole. I see no disadvantage in any way (compared to leather). Plus they look better IMO but, maybe I'm the only one that thinks tan clashes with black.
Cam Jam is offline   Reply With Quote