S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old February 7th, 2008, 02:25 AM   #21
buzzinghornet
mobile chicane

Worst disaster, that would be my $17000 injury on my chin.

Most spectacular near miss, when everyone in the paceline stood up and scattered during A2A, at over 30mph. I'd never been so afraid on skates before.

Vehicular near miss, a BMW was on the bike path (yes, on the bike path parallel to the road), towards me with the driver talking on cell-phone, at over 40mph. I had to execute a grass stop, and that guy still didn't notice me after passing me.
Old February 7th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #22
AdamB

Summer of 1996, skating on the Penn State campus with a buddy. I was playing around and skating backwards up on the two front wheels of my inlines. Little did I realize that I was heading for an enormous crack in the cement.

Hit the crack, popped me up in the air and came crashing down on my rear end. Snapped my head down to the cement. All I could hear was the echo of my skull crashing off the ground. The impact bounced me back up and took me down for a second round of head bashing.

It was a really odd moment as I sat up. I was really afraid to put my hand on the back of head as I was sure blood would be coming out from everywhere. Thankfully, there wasn't.

Got up, skated home. My girlfriend at the time (a nurse) was horrified when she came to visit later in the day. The back of my head was visually swollen out at least an inch.

I bought a helmet the next weekend. It NEVER gets left behind.
AdamB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #23
gospeedracer

Not a "Roller" skating story but it is close. I was not only a Quad skater back in the 70's but skateboarding was just as huge. I was skateboarding home one day from the Rink and I lived at the bottom of a hill. I came over the hill at a fast speed and saw a very cute girl coming up the hill. Like any other teenage boy I had the opportunity to show off of course. I raced down the hill at top speed, knees slightly bent and arms out like I knew what I was doing. At about the halfway point I looked back to see if she noticed my great talent. She did and so I turned my head around so she wouldn't see me looking. Well at the point of my head turning around "there" was the infamous parked car. Of course the (Heavy, chrome plated, metal) bumper was right at knee cap level. Needless to say I never showed off again going down my hill!!

After my pride and knees were crushed I walked up to my house as if nothing hurt, went inside and fell at my Mom's feet...............agony of defeat! All the while my dad was splitting his gut laughing so hard.............he saw the whole thing.
Robin
Old February 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM   #24
Foot2big
The Elder Skatesman

I'm trying to learn how to do a "disaster royale". Does that count?

Heh. I have disasters daily, of course that's kind of synonomous with aggressive skating.
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:05 AM   #25
diaboloskater

Default 1 of many

The worst crash i had was on my old 5 wheels I had had these for few years an good ankle strength ( not so much now) any how was just rolling along crossing a street at lights that always have a lot of cars around, as I went up the gutter ramp in to a left hand turn, at this point my front left wheel axel was Loose not that I new, so go in to a left hand turn cross over up the small ramp when front left wheel locked on fram just as all waight was over it an right skate was on way over in air. SMACK my left ear took full impact in 30 cm slide only prod was had head phones in an ripped top of ear lobe up in to cartledge an backdown. Got up quick an skated of with a burning in ear so thought it best to head home after tightening axel. When home realised what had done so to dr for 8 stitches witch hurt more than the fall. An there was time at a rink bj Makay playing skater blocks. Wheels at one end an race down to get wheel togonext level. Only 5 best left noting I was a shoein for a wheel, as bent down topick up wheel some prick ankle taped me sending me strait in to barrier head first in a super man slide. I manged to get the wheel but to concussed to go on.
diaboloskater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:24 AM   #26
diaboloskater

Default On bike

Just cause I like this 1. Riding to work at bondi beach went down curd first lifting front wheel down then coaster on it to lower back wheel down but the quick release was broken an there was no front wheel as I put all my wait forward forks locked in throwing me forward on to my face on roughiest part of road. Came to face on ground legs in air starting to fall heels first. Would have snapped my neck so kick legs so fall back other way at first thought was ok just bruised pride well I was rong knowing this by spectators faces going from lol to horrer. I gloved my nose an shated all the cartledge an rip my nose so the tip well what was left mad one nostril destroyed muscle in forehead cut in side of lip an severed the bit of skin that holds tong. Work comp paid. An they had to bring in Australia best plastic surgeon to fix me up so got free face lift an nose job but he made it with minimal scaring to my disappointment but there there an faint he offered to do more work so no scare would show told him no way no will believe me. Oh wasn't whereing helmet but if was cause of the angle would have done more damage an shattered my jaw. I always where helment now when ride
Old July 10th, 2012, 01:32 AM   #27
ursle
Street Skater

Was 15, on a skateboard headed home, bought it in '56, 29" long, urethane wheels, correctly adjusted action, used it for transport, anyway, it's dark and I'm headed down a hill about a 1/4 mile long and steep enough that I coudn't run at the speed I was going, nearly at the bottom and a dog walks into the road, it didn't see me, but with street lights I saw it, as I was about to hit it I jumped, the board went between it's legs I landed on the board and kept going, shorts, no shoes, no shirt, lucky
On skates, lot's but one sticks out, was headed south on the strand in la, at night, at speed and touched the two front wheels together, always a mistake, in the air for 15 yards, came down on my wrists, no wrist guards, couldn't use my hands for three months, only took a few weeks for the skin to grow back on my chest and stomache, sandy concrete, was a problem as at the time I was a mechanic.
ursle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:58 AM   #28
diaboloskater

Default My funniest

Up at bgs rink we had a 8 inch jump ramp we would make 6 ft air easy. This is back In days of my quad skates the plates I had where super light an not meant for jumping but spite this I would still try an fly slowly striping front king pin unaware of this hit jump at full speed for max distance an height but for some reason didn't tuck for a grad witch was lucky as I was in air front truck dropped out an when landed I landed on front trucks shooting them out an forward bring me down again into super man slide stopped by the barrier wasn't hurts
But had to wait3 weeks for new plates
Old July 10th, 2012, 03:46 AM   #29
theDonnybrook
Just trying to keep up

Default Hit by a car

A couple of weeks ago, I was heading south on a well traveled trail here in Chicago on the lake front. I approached a road crossing where pedestrians had the right of way. The driver of the car was heading west as I was heading south. The driver let someone else pass in front of him, and while looking south, pulled through the intersection. I turned and started to t-break as I moved toward the intersection. I pulled up next to the car as it moved through the intersection and hopped onto the hood of the car. I was moving to fast south to miss the car, and it wasn't moving, but speeding up. Once on the hood, the driver figured out what was going on and slammed on the breaks. This through me into the street, scraping my left calf, and bruising my tail bone. I can now say that I have been hit by a car. Thankfully, it wasn't more severe. I got lucky. Too bad I didn't get it on video.
Old July 11th, 2012, 03:50 AM   #30
diaboloskater

Smile x files

was on gold coast on my brothers bike as i came round a left hand corner no helmet again an trying to change gears on the front chain rings with my foot(stupid i no) as i looked up seen i was heading for park car, couldn't swerve enough to get out of the way and the left hand bar end smacked in to the boot punching a hole in it and shooting me forward in to the back window at full force and rolled over to right and dropped like a sake of **** on to my right side splitting the side of my head an sending me unconscious on and off now the funny part had to get cat scan thingy an was still in an out of consciousness was told not to move the past out then woke up in a strange tunnel with a light scanning over me my first thought was F$%k been taken by aliens started to sit up when table started to slide out. nurse went off her head at me cause cost some ******** amount an had to do it again didn't care that i **** my self and blood pressure went through the roof she kept saying if you had a helmet on you wouldn't be here. next thing i no im talking to cops telling them every thing an apparently was talking to them for good hr.. didn't get fine for not wherein helmet spite the bitch nurse saying how i should
Old July 11th, 2012, 07:11 AM   #31
slowsk8

Nurse was right
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 16th, 2012, 02:06 PM   #32
aussiesk8rmum

took skating back up 6 months ago and after doing a month of session skating decided I needed to work on my stopping (not my strong point) went up to the local basketball court and was practicing and my confidience was going up so decided to add some speed then as i was going to stop decide i was going to fast and should just go to the nets BIG MISTAKE I hit the metal pipe at the bottom of the nets and broke my ankle and need a plate and 6 pins plus 12 weeks off work not my proudest moment swearing my head off in front of my 2 y/o husband and 3 random electricians doing maintance work and the community center
aussiesk8rmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 10:12 AM   #33
Metaphor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennedy View Post
The cop ended up pulling me over. He yelled and screamed and threatened to give me all sorts of tickets and to impound my skates.
I know that post's really old, but that's the funniest thing I've heard in ages! Imagine having your skates impounded--hilarious!

Aussiesk8rmum, sorry to hear your story, hope you heal up soon. Though 12 weeks off work sounds nice, despite the unpleasant way that you got there.
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2012, 11:16 AM   #34
UltimateRollerSk8er

Default Not Me But Still Interesting

I've not had any bad skating accidents, at least, nothing I can remember but this is something that happened to my friend. We were maybe 14 or 15 when this happened. One of the rinks I still skate at today has one of those metal fences that goes all the way around the skate floor(you can already tell that this isn't gonna be to pretty!). So he was playing one of the games that's quite popular there(its a form of tag) and I decide to sit out because i was tired from the speed skate they had done a few minutes before. So he tries to tag someone who's right in front of the rail and right when he's about to make the tag ths person moves out of way and there's no time for him to stop. He ends up in just the right position that he slams head first into the metal railing. He was out cold for about five minutes, and when he wakes up there's a near cartoon sized knot on the top of hs head(no joke). In the end he had no serious injuries and we all just laughed it off. But I'm still scared out of my mind everytime I come anywhere near that rail!
Old August 12th, 2012, 03:06 PM   #35
rollerboymn

Default My Fall

I was skating outdoors once on my first pair of quad skates I bought. I was skating on the street in front of my house which wasn't the smoothest surface I've ever skated on. As I was going along one of my front wheels came off and down I went. Road rash from hell, banged up knees and wrists which were bent in ways they weren't meant to. All because I didn't check to see if the wheel nuts were tight before going out.

Lesson: DO PROPER MAINTENANCE OR PAY
rollerboymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #36
slowsk8

OK, will tell.
In my first ever Marathon a nice looking lady with a good shape and a some what low cut top stopped and bent over facing the trail to do something to her skates.
As I went by I looked over (just to make sure she was OK, )
And ran into her husband who had stopped to wait for her.
slowsk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:19 AM   #37
fierocious1

Default Crash today...

Rink was very crowded today. Finally the rink was clearing out. I was moving pretty good and got too close to the wall(on inlines this is not usually a problem). Pushed out and caught the wall just right, the skate was kicked back into my left skate and down I went, very abruptly on the coated floor. Cut above the right eye. Gonna be sore tomorrow. Grrrr. After successfully avoiding kids, I crash myself....
Old August 13th, 2012, 04:36 PM   #38
kev0

Skated home after an outdoor session. Got off the bus, strapped on my inlines, started on a 45 degree slope. It appears you gain speed a lot faster than you would hope on inlines. Rolled down slowly and confidently first and a car leaving from a house overtook me. Unfortunately I picked up a lot of speed against my will and my wheels were rockered and shaking really hard. I T-stopped, but it wasn't enough to slow me down enough, and ended up reapproaching the car just to see that I am approaching an intersection. Rather than zip across the double lanes totally blind, I swerved infront of the car infront of me and slid across the pavement without protection. Ended up coning a completely new set of wheels on my right skate and wearing down half of the slide guard block on my right skate as well. Needless to say that was my last time skating on the residential roads of Melbourne
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 01:51 PM   #39
rinkraptor

Tangled wheels once while shuffling backwards and cracked an elbow. Another time, fell backwards (evidently) and knocked myself in the head so silly that I can't remember what I was doing or the fall itself. And many years back was waltz-skating with a girl on strange skates that (unbeknownst to me) had wheels too large for the plates. A wheel snagged a boot while making a deep edge, and we both took a nasty spill !
rinkraptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:24 PM   #40
pjmariner
Thinkin' of a master plan

Default My outdoor blood-letting

So although I am an east-coaster, I went to college in Washington State when my father brought his fishing boat over to the left coast to fish out of Alaska. So I used to skate regularly around green lake in Seattle on quads with my mixed color kryptos. My saftey equipment consisted of a hat on backwards and shorts, complete with my walman and mixed tapes (Circa 1992-1996). So anyway, I am flying down the path at about 15mph (my usually skate there was 4 laps at 2.8 miles each in a little under 45 minutes) which allows bikes, peds, and skaters, and I come across a lady and her stroller, coming in the wrong lane trying to go god knows where.

Instead of crushing her (she deserved it ) and the baby (can't choose your parents) I go into the upaved gravel/dirt on side of path, kept skates as in front of me as I could but caught a big rock, flipped over to my bare back, and skidded to stop in dirt and rocks. Of course I was on complete opposite side of lake to where I had parked, so I get up, dirt blood and rocks all over my back, walkman/tape/headphones/batteries everywhere, and I have to gather up my stuff and skate back to car. I got many stares and "Are you okay?" on the way back. All the sweat and blood, I looked Ric Flair after a no holds bared match
pjmariner is offline   Reply With Quote