S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > General Interest Skating Forums > Main Skating Forum
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Main Skating Forum General discussions about all types of skating, including how to skate, places to skate, skating events, skating equipment, and any topic that does not fall under one of our other skating forums.

Old July 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM   #1
HighRoller25

Default Preventive Maintanence Habits

What is the best fix/preventive measure for not ripping out the lace eyelets that are part of the liner on a fitness boot? (just being paranoid in case one day they do).

The life expectancy of a buckle starting to slightly strip? (strap teeth aren't razor sharp, but it still buckles in fine.. just some "misses" as u click)...

that is all
HighRoller25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 03:53 PM   #2
Metaphor

My thought is that if they break, they break. Good, reliable skates are pretty cheap these days - you can get some crossfire 100s for $270 or less. On a fitness skate, my guess is the liner will pack out before the eyelets rip out.

Buckles can be replaced, though I haven't had to.

The only real maintenance I do is on the wheels by rotating them.
Metaphor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10th, 2012, 04:09 PM   #3
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

Eyelets can be replaced, or some of them can be. I`ve replaced them on some Riedell leather boots but the same should be for any of the others as well, I would think anyway.
Old August 11th, 2012, 08:41 AM   #4
inlina
ABEC42

Are you worried about the eyelet ripping through the boot, or the eyelet itself being ripped out?

I have not ever seen an eyelet rip through a decent quality fitness boot. Usually the eyelets are pretty tough...in fact they are there is stopped the boot being damaged. The only preventative measure is really to not over tighten or pull on the laces suddenly. As preventative maintenance, just make sure they are not coming loose and have them pressed back down by a cobbler if they are.

As for an eyelet coming out (without ripping the boot) they are easily replaced as someone else mentioned. It's not worth stressing about. If you are worried, just keep an eye on the front and backside. Any looseness or damage and you can have a cobbler replace it.

With the buckle...again I haven't seen one fail from wear on a good quality skate. The only preventative measure is not to let the wear initiate, so you would need to push on the buckle so it is open when doing up your skates. That may required some additional dexterity but it is not impossible.

Again, buckles are replacable so don't stress too much. Even if your skates are an old model that spares are unavailable for, most ski and skate shops can install a generic buckle.

CG