S k a t e L o g     F o r u m
Inline Skating and Quad Roller Skating
Forum Hosts: Jessica Wright | Kathie Fry

FOLLOW US: Our Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Email    

Home - Forum Index - Africa Skating - Asia Skating - Europe Skating - Oceania Skating - Pan America Skating - Roller_Rinks - Friend the SkateLog Forum in Facebook - SkateLog Forum on Facebook

Forum Administrators: Jessica Wright and Kathie Fry | Email Us
Access code for buying and selling subforums: "skates"
How To Get a User Account and Posting Privileges in the SkateLog Forum
Use Google to Search the SkateLog Forum

Go Back   SkateLog Forum > Special Interest Skating Forums (sorted by number of posts) > Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice)
FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Ask DocSk8 (Expert Indoor Skate Building Advice) This forum is different then the other SkateLog forums in that it is not a discussion forum, but rather a place you can ask skate building expert Fred "DocSk8" Benjamin about building and repairing indoor speed, derby, and jamskate quad roller skates. Please start a new thread for each new question.

Old October 8th, 2012, 01:00 AM   #41
gotsk8s
I bet Godsk8s too!

omy omy omy omy omy omy!!!
Old October 11th, 2012, 04:21 AM   #42
NorCal03

Default Education/Overview

Doc, (know everyone is having a good time in here - great fun) but can you talk to the Ultimate plates. Seems that people on the forum who had them in their skate life seem to really like them but those of us from an earlier generation might not know what the deal is? (I have to guess they must have come out sometime after 1983? I stopped skating around 1983) Can you talk about them for educational purposes?
U1 vs. 2 vs. 3 vs ...? (Never seen or skated any, and maybe there was a 5,6, or even 7 but I have only heard you guys talk of 1-4). Is this a brand or a type? Why special? And for those of us who have never skated one, should we seek out these like the 'grail' Boens? Or is it like the Black Diamond from my generation (everyone skated the Satellite or Omega but desired the hard to obtain Diamond?)

Thanks in advance for the education.
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:51 AM   #43
bolivia

what he said...
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #44
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal03 View Post
Doc, (know everyone is having a good time in here - great fun) but can you talk to the Ultimate plates. Seems that people on the forum who had them in their skate life seem to really like them but those of us from an earlier generation might not know what the deal is?

Lots of discussion here and on the quad forum... Search feature..

(I have to guess they must have come out sometime after 1983? I stopped skating around 1983) Can you talk about them for educational purposes?

When?? IDK... But the SST came before the UI

U1 vs. 2 vs. 3 vs ...?

SST SA, Aluminum w/ stops and NTS.
SST gen 2 SA (aluminum U1)
UI 25 degree SA Magnesium Beam style as pictured.
UI
25 degree SA Magnesium Box style.
UIII 5 degree DA same box plate as the UII
UIV
5 degree DA essentially a NTS UIII
UV The sk8 mullet UIII in front, UII in back
U Dominator 15 degree DA

Ultimate Imperial.. A Frankenplate I dreamed up back at the end of June in 2008.

(Never seen or skated any, and maybe there was a 5,6, or even 7 but I have only heard you guys talk of 1-4). Is this a brand or a type?

Brand... They made bad azz wheels too..

Why special?

light. Sk8 much like a Pro Line..

And for those of us who have never skated one, should we seek out these like the 'grail' Boens?

Your call.. My 153mm Specials are hanging in the rafters.. Not much excitement fro me.. One of these days some Aussie will make me an offer I cannot refuse... besides I Have 2 Swiss Cheesed Ultimate III plates that have Boen ling pins trucks etc on them..

Or is it like the Black Diamond from my generation (everyone skated the Satellite or Omega but desired the hard to obtain Diamond?)

I have a Satellite I sk8 but it's been converted to DA45.. I have a lovely new Black Diamond (or Cobra, I'm never sure which is which) sitting on the bench waiting for me to mount them on a Bont..

Thanks in advance for the education.
That was a quickie summary and I am sure I will get corrected by Skategeek79 if I effed anything up.

The search function is your friend.. I use the heck out of it..

I see a lot of folks hunting down and buying their dream sk8s that they could not afford as kids.. Me, I didn't even look at sk8s till I was 46... So I had no "history" to distort my view forward.. 14 years later, I have my own distortions, and all the Ultimates I sk8 are all Frankenplates..
Old October 11th, 2012, 06:16 AM   #45
bolivia

UII 25 degree SA Magnesium Box style.
UIV 5 degree DA essentially a NTS UIII
U Dominator 15 degree DA

Doc, 4th line down should read UII.....correct?
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:25 AM   #46
Doc Sk8
Yankee Catfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by bolivia View Post
UII 25 degree SA Magnesium Box style.
UIV 5 degree DA essentially a NTS UIII
U Dominator 15 degree DA

Doc, 4th line down should read UII.....correct?
Ab so lutely.. I fixed it. Thanks..
Old October 11th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #47
Iggy
DGS Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Sk8 View Post
...Me, I didn't even look at sk8s till I was 46...14 years later...
Dang. I wouldn't pegged you for a day over 33
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:24 AM   #48
NorCal03

Thanks Doc, lot of good info in one place. Didn't exist when I skated but sure look nice as various members of the forum do re-build jobs on them. It seem the box variety might have been inspired by the Satellite. (I too have the DA45 Satellite and love it! Thanks to you and DVW) I now feel like I almost Have To try one of those UV – Since you called it “The sk8 mullet UIII in front, UII in back” That is classic.

The search function - yes, very nice but sometimes it takes you to months worth of threads and since it seemed there were multiple models of the same brand plate it would be cool to have it all in one note.

*Hope others found it informational as well.

Don’t know if I’ll ever skate these but nice to sometimes know what all the Forum fuss is about on a specific product.